Start by marking “Omar Bradley: General at War” as Want to Read:
Omar Bradley: General at War

Omar Bradley: General at War

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The First In-Depth Biography of America’s Last Five-Star General

He was known as “the G.I. General”— humble, self-effacing, hard-working, reflecting the small-town virtues of the America whose uniform he wore. But those very virtues have led historians to neglect General Omar Bradley—until now. Bestselling author Jim DeFelice, in this, the first-ever in-depth biography of A
Published September 12th 2011 by Regnery History (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Omar Bradley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Omar Bradley

R. Brett
WWII interest??? read this one first!

I've read a plethora of WWII a books, most commonly associated with the regular "Joes" who were actually in the arena (not to imply Bradley was not...but you'll have to read the book for more about that).
My eyes have been opened. I've honestly never put too much thought into who was actually directing these battles from an overall perspective. DeFelice does a wonderful job of explaining the big picture and giving Bradley his due.
I believe Bradley was owed
John Nevola
In this book, Jim DeFelice looks at General Omar Bradley, as he has never been examined before. He makes a compelling case that the historical stereotype of the cautious, unimaginative and plodding general is simply not accurate. In the process, he calls upon deep research and acute analytical skills to debunk the most prevalent myths about Bradley. For the most part his logic and reasoning are on target as he reveals a combat commander who was a lot more creative, aggressive and effective than ...more
Dale
An Important Look At an Oft-Overlooked Figure

Regnery Publishing's newest imprint, Regnery History has found something new to tell about one of the most written-about parts of World War II: D-Day. You may ask yourself, what else can be said about D-Day that hasn't been said? We have had powerful, visceral movies like Saving Private Ryan, The Longest Day and Patton and the famed HBO series Band of Brothers. Article after article and book after book have been written about D-Day, the Battle of the
Ian Divertie
Good stuff! Another fine man, a wee bit flawed, but still a great man. Interesting childhood. Another one of those fine Americans from a mid-west that doesn't seem to exist anymore.
John Lomnicki,
Having read a number of biographies of military leaders in WW2, I did not have high expectations, but felt this could be interesting. It was not just interesting, but compelling reading. The author has a writing style that I was unfamiliar.

I like the style and presentation so well that I am seeking out his other books and intend to read them as well. On the book jacket, other authors give him great praise, but what is interesting to me, I had just read a book by Jonathan Jordan as well, which w
Justin
A very interesting and detailed account of General Bradley's involvement in WW2, spoiled somewhat by the anti British ie. Montgomery bias that runs throughout the entire book. According to the author Jim DeFelice, the war could have been won by Bradley in 1944 if it wasn't for Montgomery taking away all of the American supplies and swaying General Eisenhower to his line of thinking. As much as Bradley and Patton had a low opinion of Bernard Montgomery, it is a bit far fetched to say that every d ...more
Bill
Excellent read. Author did an excellent job of comparing to the other Generals and their books and recollections.
Jeff
The author is correct that not enough has been written about this American General.

DeFelice chose to fill that gap. He is a capable writer, but a terrible researcher. Virtually every page contains the line "As Bradley says in, 'A Generals Life'...". You might as well get Bradley's far superior autobiography than read this book report about it.
Jagad5
A fair assessment of a heretofore ignored general. The war would have lasted longer without him, and probably could have been shorter if only Ike had listened to him instead of Monty. The facts are clearly presented and then interpreted, history as it should be written.
Mike Milton
First class bio of one of the most overlooked leaders of the victory in Europe.
ARMY
Oct 24, 2011 ARMY added it
Carafano
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
john fitzgerald
john fitzgerald is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2015
Jody Terres
Jody Terres is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Doug Tabner
Doug Tabner marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Damir
Damir marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Jessa
Jessa marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Miguel A.
Miguel A. marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Esther Brandel
Esther Brandel marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My latest book, CODE NAME: JOHNNY WALKER was hailed by Kirkus Review as a “fiery, insightful memoir from the former Iraqi translator who fought alongside U.S. Special Forces during the recent war in Iraq.” They also “a harrowing personal journey of courageous self-empowerment during wartime.” called it an “invaluable insider’s perspective of Iraq.

I wrote it with the real "Johnny Walker," who was b
More about Jim DeFelice...
Kill Grandma For Me The Helios Conspiracy (FBI Special Agent Andy Fisher, #3) Cyclops One (FBI Special Agent Andy Fisher, #1) Leopards Kill Going Deep (HOGS: First Gulf War Air Combat, #1)