Start by marking “The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith” as Want to Read:
The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  20 reviews

His books have sold millions and include classics like Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Yet C. S. Lewis was not always a literary giant of Christian faith. How did he evolve from staunch atheism to become one of the most beloved and renowned Christian authors of our time?

For C. S. Lewis enthusiasts and students alike, this

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published March 12th 2009 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Reluctant Convert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Reluctant Convert

Gregory Byerline
Grateful that Brother Jack wrestled, contemplated, and reasoned his way home. In today's age of emotionalism and hype, it's refreshing to encounter the slow and deliberate, even though reluctant, search and pursuit that results in understanding that we are actually the ones being sought and pursued.
Jason Thayer
This was a great exploration of Lewis's journey of faith, showing how he started as an atheist and the struggle to finally accept God.
Stephanie
Publisher's Description:

"David Downing offers a unique look at Lewis's personal journey to faith and the profound influence it ahd on his life as a writer and eventual follower of Christ. Most other biographies of Lewis explore his childhood or his dramatic conversion to Christianity. But it was the rarely discussed period from Lewis's childhood to his early thirties that took him on a tumultuous journey of spiritual and intellectual exploration. It was not despite this journey but precisely bec
Deyanne
A nice guidebook for "Surprised By Joy".
Lucas
Pra quem gosta de C.S. Lewis, é muito divertido e instigante! Para quem nao o conhece, o livro é esclarecedor em aspectos alheios a C.S.Lewis.

O começo pode ser um pouco cansativo, mas a partir do capitulo 3, fica muito legal!
Clarissa
An introduction to Lewis' convertion to Christ and his intelectual pathways. Great book to help us understand better his work and way of thinking through the many phases of his early years. His intelectual process from atheist to christian is by itself a great lesson envolving literature, philosophy, psichology and lovely, simple and clear realizations about Life.
Readnponder
Consider this a study guide of sorts for C. S. Lewis's autobiography "Surprised by Joy." Downing elaborates a bit more on Lewis's family and the many books and philosophies that influenced him on his journey to faith. Having it by your side will help you understand and glean so much more from "Surprised by Joy."
Thomas Grosh IV
Yes, C.S. Lewis was a reluctant convert. Was it worth the time of his friends to share the Gospel with him and argue over whether there was one True Myth, that to which all the other myths point toward? I answer with an emphatic, "Yes!" David offers an superb window into the Lewis' journey to faith in Christ.
Janet
David C. Downing wrote a wonderful account of Mr. Lewis's spiritual journey. I started this book in November, and just finished it. It is worth taking time to read and not rush through. Materialism, introspection that invites self absorption...these are things C. S. Lewis struggled with. I can relate.
Susan
Excellent book tracing the spiritual journey of C.S. Lewis from atheism to belief in Christ. His use of personal correspondence to follow Lewis's thoughts, and his paralleling Lewis's thoughts to some of his writings made this especially compelling. Great read!
Darcy
A look at C.S. Lewis's spiritual journey drawing from who and what he read as well as what he wrote. Thankfully, the focus is more on Lewis's fiction rather than his apologetics. A little dry at times, and oddly speculative at others. For the Lewis completist.
Carter Shaw
Reads like a thesis but has a lot of interesting insights from his writings and correspondence. Adds a solid addition to the current catalog of books about Lewis.
J.J.
3.5. I probably would have given it a four but I didnt like the audio versions narrator. It was a good over view of Lewis' journey from atheist to Christian.
Jerry Graham
Fresh and readable account of C. S. Lewis and his journey from atheism to faith. An inspiring book, whatever your spiritual beliefs.
Qi
This book is thorough and thoughtful, far more positive on CSL than A.N. Wilson when recounting his past and books.
Natalie
I wish I could give this 2.5 stars. For as small as the book was, it should have been a much quicker read.
Allison
A detailed look into CS Lewis's Christianity. Not so much a biography though.
Amanda
A nice, easy read focusing on Lewis' conversion to Christianity.
Joel Zartman
Not bad. Not great.
Eve
Eve marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Thomas McGlinchey
Thomas McGlinchey marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Mark Young
Mark Young marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Yanina Cadillo
Yanina Cadillo is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2015
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • The Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis, Volume lll: Narnia, Cambridge, and Joy 1950-1963
  • Mere Humanity: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkien on the Human Condition
  • The Inklings of Oxford: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and Their Friends
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • Tolkien and C. S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
  • Men and Women in the Church: Building Consensus on Christian Leadership
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • Genesis: A Commentary
  • Handbook on the Pentateuch: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
  • Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts
I am a professor of English at Elizabethtown College in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This is on the edge of "Amish country," and I sometimes pass a horse and buggy on my way to and from campus.

I grew up in Colorado, went to college in Santa Barbara, CA, and earned my PhD from UCLA. I currently teach professional and creative writing at Elizabethtown, as well as a first-year seminar on quest nar
More about David C. Downing...
Looking for the King (Inklings, #1) Into the Wardrobe: C. S. Lewis and the Narnia Chronicles Into the Region of Awe: Mysticism in C. S. Lewis Planets in Peril: A Critical Study of C.S A South Divided: Portraits of Dissent in the Confederacy