Start by marking “The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith” as Want to Read:
The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews

His books have sold millions and include classics like Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Yet C. S. Lewis was not always a literary giant of Christian faith. How did he evolve from staunch atheism to become one of the most beloved and renowned Christian authors of our time?

For C. S. Lewis enthusiasts and students alike, this

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published March 12th 2009 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published April 19th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Reluctant Convert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Reluctant Convert

Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 22, 2015 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I am as many who've read other reviews etc. from me will know that I'm a huge C.S. Lewis fan. I've read a great deal of his writing (fiction and nonfiction) and recommend it all. This isn't the first boi of read of him.

This is an interesting biography and it does touch on the era before Lewis' conversion. I'm a little leery as we do have to take the writer's word for some of what Lewis nay have thought though in most cases he dies have writings by Lewis himself and those who knew him.

All in al
Gregory Byerline
Grateful that Brother Jack wrestled, contemplated, and reasoned his way home. In today's age of emotionalism and hype, it's refreshing to encounter the slow and deliberate, even though reluctant, search and pursuit that results in understanding that we are actually the ones being sought and pursued.
Jason Thayer
Jan 08, 2015 Jason Thayer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great exploration of Lewis's journey of faith, showing how he started as an atheist and the struggle to finally accept God.
Stephanie
Aug 22, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographical
Publisher's Description:

"David Downing offers a unique look at Lewis's personal journey to faith and the profound influence it ahd on his life as a writer and eventual follower of Christ. Most other biographies of Lewis explore his childhood or his dramatic conversion to Christianity. But it was the rarely discussed period from Lewis's childhood to his early thirties that took him on a tumultuous journey of spiritual and intellectual exploration. It was not despite this journey but precisely bec
Lake County Public Library Indiana
Recommended by Jordan at Griffith-Calumet Twp Branch
Lucas
Dec 28, 2014 Lucas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pra quem gosta de C.S. Lewis, é muito divertido e instigante! Para quem nao o conhece, o livro é esclarecedor em aspectos alheios a C.S.Lewis.

O começo pode ser um pouco cansativo, mas a partir do capitulo 3, fica muito legal!
Justin Dillehay
Jun 30, 2016 Justin Dillehay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone who loves Lewis.
Clarissa
Nov 11, 2013 Clarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An introduction to Lewis' convertion to Christ and his intelectual pathways. Great book to help us understand better his work and way of thinking through the many phases of his early years. His intelectual process from atheist to christian is by itself a great lesson envolving literature, philosophy, psichology and lovely, simple and clear realizations about Life.
Readnponder
Feb 13, 2012 Readnponder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consider this a study guide of sorts for C. S. Lewis's autobiography "Surprised by Joy." Downing elaborates a bit more on Lewis's family and the many books and philosophies that influenced him on his journey to faith. Having it by your side will help you understand and glean so much more from "Surprised by Joy."
Thomas Grosh IV
Oct 13, 2012 Thomas Grosh IV rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evangelism, c-s-lewis
Yes, C.S. Lewis was a reluctant convert. Was it worth the time of his friends to share the Gospel with him and argue over whether there was one True Myth, that to which all the other myths point toward? I answer with an emphatic, "Yes!" David offers an superb window into the Lewis' journey to faith in Christ.
Janet
Aug 11, 2010 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David C. Downing wrote a wonderful account of Mr. Lewis's spiritual journey. I started this book in November, and just finished it. It is worth taking time to read and not rush through. Materialism, introspection that invites self absorption...these are things C. S. Lewis struggled with. I can relate.
Susan
Dec 12, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book tracing the spiritual journey of C.S. Lewis from atheism to belief in Christ. His use of personal correspondence to follow Lewis's thoughts, and his paralleling Lewis's thoughts to some of his writings made this especially compelling. Great read!
Darcy
May 20, 2009 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
A look at C.S. Lewis's spiritual journey drawing from who and what he read as well as what he wrote. Thankfully, the focus is more on Lewis's fiction rather than his apologetics. A little dry at times, and oddly speculative at others. For the Lewis completist.
Carter Shaw
Reads like a thesis but has a lot of interesting insights from his writings and correspondence. Adds a solid addition to the current catalog of books about Lewis.
J.J.
Jul 31, 2013 J.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. I probably would have given it a four but I didnt like the audio versions narrator. It was a good over view of Lewis' journey from atheist to Christian.
Jerry Graham
Oct 28, 2009 Jerry Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fresh and readable account of C. S. Lewis and his journey from atheism to faith. An inspiring book, whatever your spiritual beliefs.
Qi
Oct 01, 2012 Qi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is thorough and thoughtful, far more positive on CSL than A.N. Wilson when recounting his past and books.
Natalie
I wish I could give this 2.5 stars. For as small as the book was, it should have been a much quicker read.
Allison
Mar 25, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A detailed look into CS Lewis's Christianity. Not so much a biography though.
Amanda
Jul 31, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice, easy read focusing on Lewis' conversion to Christianity.
Deyanne
A nice guidebook for "Surprised By Joy".
Diane
Feb 25, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying.
Joel Zartman
Not bad. Not great.
Jenn Hembruch
Jenn Hembruch rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Julia Mitchell
Julia Mitchell rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
J Griswoldw
J Griswoldw rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Lorri
Lorri rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
  • The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis: Narnia, Cambridge, and Joy, 1950 - 1963
  • Mere Humanity: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkien on the Human Condition
  • Smoke on the Mountain: An Interpretation of the Ten Commandments
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • A Life Observed: A Spiritual Biography of C. S. Lewis
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • Handbook on the Pentateuch: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • Portrait of a Priestess: Women and Ritual in Ancient Greece
  • The Winged Seed: A Remembrance
  • The Inklings of Oxford: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and their Friends
I am a professor of English at Elizabethtown College in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This is on the edge of "Amish country," and I sometimes pass a horse and buggy on my way to and from campus.

I grew up in Colorado, went to college in Santa Barbara, CA, and earned my PhD from UCLA. I currently teach professional and creative writing at Elizabethtown, as well as a first-year seminar on quest nar
More about David C. Downing...