Start by marking “The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith” as Want to Read:
The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  17 reviews

His books have sold millions and include classics like Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Yet C. S. Lewis was not always a literary giant of Christian faith. How did he evolve from staunch atheism to become one of the most beloved and renowned Christian authors of our time?

For C. S. Lewis enthusiasts and students alike, this

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published March 12th 2009 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Reluctant Convert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Reluctant Convert

Gregory Byerline
Grateful that Brother Jack wrestled, contemplated, and reasoned his way home. In today's age of emotionalism and hype, it's refreshing to encounter the slow and deliberate, even though reluctant, search and pursuit that results in understanding that we are actually the ones being sought and pursued.
Stephanie
Publisher's Description:

"David Downing offers a unique look at Lewis's personal journey to faith and the profound influence it ahd on his life as a writer and eventual follower of Christ. Most other biographies of Lewis explore his childhood or his dramatic conversion to Christianity. But it was the rarely discussed period from Lewis's childhood to his early thirties that took him on a tumultuous journey of spiritual and intellectual exploration. It was not despite this journey but precisely bec
Clarissa
An introduction to Lewis' convertion to Christ and his intelectual pathways. Great book to help us understand better his work and way of thinking through the many phases of his early years. His intelectual process from atheist to christian is by itself a great lesson envolving literature, philosophy, psichology and lovely, simple and clear realizations about Life.
Readnponder
Consider this a study guide of sorts for C. S. Lewis's autobiography "Surprised by Joy." Downing elaborates a bit more on Lewis's family and the many books and philosophies that influenced him on his journey to faith. Having it by your side will help you understand and glean so much more from "Surprised by Joy."
Thomas Grosh IV
Yes, C.S. Lewis was a reluctant convert. Was it worth the time of his friends to share the Gospel with him and argue over whether there was one True Myth, that to which all the other myths point toward? I answer with an emphatic, "Yes!" David offers an superb window into the Lewis' journey to faith in Christ.
Janet
David C. Downing wrote a wonderful account of Mr. Lewis's spiritual journey. I started this book in November, and just finished it. It is worth taking time to read and not rush through. Materialism, introspection that invites self absorption...these are things C. S. Lewis struggled with. I can relate.
Susan
Excellent book tracing the spiritual journey of C.S. Lewis from atheism to belief in Christ. His use of personal correspondence to follow Lewis's thoughts, and his paralleling Lewis's thoughts to some of his writings made this especially compelling. Great read!
Darcy
A look at C.S. Lewis's spiritual journey drawing from who and what he read as well as what he wrote. Thankfully, the focus is more on Lewis's fiction rather than his apologetics. A little dry at times, and oddly speculative at others. For the Lewis completist.
Carter Shaw
Reads like a thesis but has a lot of interesting insights from his writings and correspondence. Adds a solid addition to the current catalog of books about Lewis.
J.J.
3.5. I probably would have given it a four but I didnt like the audio versions narrator. It was a good over view of Lewis' journey from atheist to Christian.
Jerry Graham
Fresh and readable account of C. S. Lewis and his journey from atheism to faith. An inspiring book, whatever your spiritual beliefs.
Qi
This book is thorough and thoughtful, far more positive on CSL than A.N. Wilson when recounting his past and books.
Natalie
I wish I could give this 2.5 stars. For as small as the book was, it should have been a much quicker read.
Allison
A detailed look into CS Lewis's Christianity. Not so much a biography though.
Amanda
A nice, easy read focusing on Lewis' conversion to Christianity.
Joel Zartman
Not bad. Not great.
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Lucas
Lucas is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Annah
Annah marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Nicolas Valin
Nicolas Valin marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis, Volume lll: Narnia, Cambridge, and Joy 1950-1963
  • Mere Humanity: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkien on the Human Condition
  • C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet
  • The Inklings of Oxford: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and Their Friends
  • Jack's Life: The Life Story Of C.S. Lewis
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • Tolkien and C. S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
  • Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics
  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis
  • Handbook on the Pentateuch: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
  • Men and Women in the Church: Building Consensus on Christian Leadership
  • I Could Tell You Stories
  • Perspectives on the World Christian Movement: Reader
  • Media Unlimited: How the Torrent of Images & Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives
I am a professor of English at Elizabethtown College in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This is on the edge of "Amish country," and I sometimes pass a horse and buggy on my way to and from campus.

I grew up in Colorado, went to college in Santa Barbara, CA, and earned my PhD from UCLA. I currently teach professional and creative writing at Elizabethtown, as well as a first-year seminar on quest nar
More about David C. Downing...
Looking for the King (Inklings, #1) Into the Wardrobe: C. S. Lewis and the Narnia Chronicles Into the Region of Awe: Mysticism in C. S. Lewis Planets in Peril A South Divided: Portraits of Dissent in the Confederacy