Start by marking “Floating Island” as Want to Read:
Floating Island

Floating Island

When the doll house they inhabit is shipped overseas as a gift, a terrible storm results in shipwreck on an uninhabited tropical island for the Doll family. This includes Mr. and Mrs. Doll, their children William and Annabelle, and Dinah the cook. The story follows their adventures with affection and humor.
265 pages
Published June 1930 by Harper & Row (first published January 1st 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Floating Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floating Island

Renee
Jul 16, 2011 Renee rated it liked it
This book was so adorable. It defintiely reminded me of when I was growing up and had my own doll house to play with. I kept feeling that throughout the whole story that there really was a child playing with the dolls and that this child had a really good imagination. While I know that Elizabeth never actually got her dolls and doll house, I felt like a child was playing with them while they were "on the island." I loved reading the perspective of the small dolls and how they interpreted things. ...more
CLM
Dec 04, 2008 CLM rated it really liked it
Recommended to CLM by: SLM
Shelves: childrensbooks, dolls
This delightful book belonged to my mother. Recommended for those who enjoy doll stories (or, like Wendy, are reading the Newbery Honor books). While some object to the depiction of the Doll family's cook, I do not think that should detract from enjoyment of the Dolls' adventures on their desert island.
Thomas Bell
Sep 22, 2014 Thomas Bell rated it it was ok
Shelves: newbery-honors
This book was stupid and racist, but interesting enough to avoid the dreaded single-star. Still, I don't know how it won a Newbery Honor. Let me explain.

The book is about a doll family that crashed into an island. Most of the book everyone is just trying to find each other since they all got scattered to different parts of the island. The adventures are somewhat fun, and the author makes a fun time out of the differences between dolls and humans.

Mr. and Mrs. Doll are stupid - they often act like
Heather
Dec 21, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, newbery
Three stars because it is loads better than Appleby Capple, but not because I really loved it. I actually rather liked the first half, but the second half really dragged. The Dolls were all quite silly, but there were some entertaining moments.

Once again, however, Ms. Parrish has some cultural issues. The cook, Dinah, who is of course black, is poorly drawn (literally - think a traveling Minstrel show! - as well as in her descriptions) and becomes a savage, engaging in strange rituals and prefe
Sarah Sammis
Mar 28, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2005
I thoroughly enjoyed The Floating Island though I do have to count it as one of the strangest books I have ever read. It's basically a retelling of Swiss Family Robinson but from the point of view of a ship wrecked doll house family. Anne Parrish included also did the illustrations for the book (though she credits most of them to Mr. Doll). My son is enthralled with these illustrations, especially the one of the owl. I'm thinking of scanning the owl illustration and printing it out for his wall. ...more
Leaflet
Oct 10, 2009 Leaflet rated it did not like it
Shelves: newbery
from The New York Times: "The book is not only amusing but beautifully written; the descriptions of the various forms of tropical life glow with light and color. In her unique use of frequent footnotes in which she puts things she wants her readers to know but which do not belong in the Doll's story, the author has found a way of seeming to talk directly to her child audience.."

I agree that the descriptions were lovely, but nothing distracts me more or turns me off a book faster than 'frequent f
Lynette Caulkins
Jan 08, 2017 Lynette Caulkins rated it it was ok
Shelves: newbery
This is a 1930 pick from my Newbery collection. I found it to be a charming little story (with qualifications that I would want to discuss with a child) aimed at youngish children. Its tone makes me think of a fun story hour time with such choices as Peter Pan (completely different plot, of course).

This book is quite dated, though, and contains white patronizing attitudes toward black house servants. Toward the end it goes so far as to hint at Jim Crow beliefs about some races being equal with m
Mckinley
Sep 13, 2016 Mckinley rated it really liked it
A family of dolls with their cook are packed up in their house for shipping. Along the way they get shipwrecked and survive on a "floating" island. With the help and hinderance they are all reunited and set up home. Written for a younger audience with lots of footnotes about live in the sea and on the island.
Tricia Douglas
Written in 1930. I love comparing what children had to read then opposed to now. So much change in characters and attitudes. I trudged through this book for one of the Goodreads childrens' groups. We had a great discussion around ethnic attitudes. It wasn't a great book, but then, I'm not a child! My adult imagination is nowhere to be found!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Apr 05, 2009 Krista the Krazy Kataloguer marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-own
I actually think I've read this, but since I can't remember and I don't have my reading log with me, I'll mark it as "to-read".
Deloris J.
Deloris J. rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2010
Liz Elfring
Liz Elfring rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2010
Rose Marie
Rose Marie rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Terry
Terry rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2013
Katy
Katy rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
Caroline Waters
Caroline Waters rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2014
Keiko
Keiko rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Marian
Marian rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2011
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Teresa Stern
Teresa Stern rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2010
Daved
Daved rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2010
Scott Williams
c817fd62-e75c-4e90-90af-8a15887691e2
Cherie
Cherie rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Erica Anne
Erica Anne rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2010
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2009
River
River rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2012

Three-time Newbery Honor winner, Anne Parrish came from a distinguished and artistic Philadelphia family. Her younger brother was author Dillwyn Parrish. Parrish trained at the Philadelphia School of Design for Women, although she later chose a career in literature. In 1923
More about Anne Parrish...