Start by marking “Why Pick on Me?” as Want to Read:
Why Pick on Me?

Why Pick on Me? (Marvin Redpost #2)

Illus. in black-and-white. Marvin is shunned by his classmates, best friends, and teacher after he is unfairly fingered as a nose-picker by the class bully.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published June 1st 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Why Pick on Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Pick on Me?

Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Newbery Medal winner Louis Sachar’s Marvin Redpost series of beginning chapter books are chock-full of the silly humor that children enjoy from his other Wayside School series. Marvin inadvertently gets on bully Clarence’s bad side and Clarence accuses Marvin of being a nose-picker. The more Marvin denies the designation, the more his classmates ostracize him until even his two best friends no longer associate with him for fear of being lumped into nose-picker category and the social outcast sta ...more
Dolly
Sep 19, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the Marvin Redpost series. It is a terribly accurate story about how children can gang up and pick on a child.

The story is a bit silly, but it shows how much schoolyard rumors and stories can affect children. The protagonist of the tale, Marvin Redpost, gets bullied and the story shows how the bullying affects all aspects of his life.

It's a good story to use as a discussion starter at home and in school about bullying and countering bullying behavior.

We enjoyed readi
Carol
If you enjoy the Marvin Redpost series, you will like this one too.

Bullying is one of the most popular themes in coming-of-age literature at all times. Marvin was said to be a nose-picker in class. In other words, he was somewhat verbally abused. He felt discontented about the fact that his classmates called him names. There's rumours around. The harder he tried to deny it, the least his friends believed him. In the end, he figured out a way to silence the school bullies.

The book doesn't hold an
Beloved Girl
Jan 15, 2016 Beloved Girl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapterbook
So far, I have read six books in the Marvin Redpost series, and this book is the best of them. I recommended it to my sister, and she was deeply touched by this. VERY DELICATE plot, even though this book is just a CHAPTER BOOK for Kids!
The brilliant and popular boy Marvin Redpost got in big trouble. That was being picked by every students in class.
At first, it was started by Clarence, the toughest kid in school. He said Marvin picked his nose. Some kids around them laughed at first. Marvin tri
Philip
Gwen: (After checking the bookshelf boxes here on goodreads): Is that it?

Dad: Yep. Hey, how about we ask survey questions to start off this review?

Eleanor: Okay.

Dad: So, if you're reading this review, and have time, please answer these survey questions... Alright, guys, what are your questions?

Eleanor: What's your favorite color?

Gwen: ....Ummmm... Let me think. Poppy can go while I'm thinking.

Poppy: I can do it. Well... Ummmm... I just? He... What I like...

El: Ask about something you like...

P
Nathan Willams
Feb 15, 2017 Nathan Willams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is called "Marvin Redpost," and it is by Louis Sachar. This book was very good because of its style of writing, and because Louis Sachar is one of the best authors ever to write a book. This book was all about a little boy who finally "defeated" the big man on campus in wall ball. Clarence who is the biggest man on campus spread rumors about Marvin and no one ever hung out with marvin ever again.
I really enjoyed this book because it kind of reminds me of kids in our school who start ru
Benedict Randhawa
This is book is about a boy his name is Marvin Redpost. some how people start thinking he is the biggest nose picker in the school. Even Marvin best friends don't want talk to him. Very fun story.
Tara
Mar 16, 2017 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
I love these books. The writing is simple and yet powerful. It makes me think.
Wasif
Mar 08, 2017 Wasif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a sad story.All of his friend started to pick on him.They give him a name called nose-picker.But, it was not true.it was Clarence who start it.Everybody in school make fun of him eve the teacher write a note to his parent that your child has an anti-social behavior in class.He need to learn how to use tissue in class.This make Marvin cry.But, he had a idea that he will ask every body even his teacher that "Have to ever pick your nose"? Marvin finally prove that he don't pick his nose in ...more
Adrija
Feb 16, 2017 Adrija rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice book, I got it from school. It is my first Louis Sachar book. Why Pick on Me is a good title for the story inside. It gives a good idea. Nose picking might be a bad habit but if you see very very very very closely then you might see few values to be learnt. No. 1 never underestimate your little sister
gina
Oct 03, 2011 gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Why should you read Why Pick on Me? - ?
1. Louis Sachar is one of the best children’s writers out there.
2. The angle on dealing with bullies is creative and full of heart.
3. This book is a great transition for beginning readers to start chapter books.
4. You get to read the word “booger” repeatedly.

You might think this book has a childish take on something that kids like to snicker about, but really it’s a thoughtful tale about how rumors are spread. A mild suggestion by a bully becomes a full-fle
Ayumi Shimoyama
Jan 13, 2014 Ayumi Shimoyama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1)Publisher: Random House
Book series: A First Stepping Stone Book
Level: ?
2)Time: 1/7=30min, 1/9=10min, 1/10=15min, 1/11=7min
3)7word summary: Marvin, Nose, Capsule, Tease, Sister, Survey, Laugh
4)Discussion question:
In Marvin's class, students is going to bury a time capsule.
Have you ever buried a time capsule? If you have never done that, do you want to bury a time capsule?
-Yes. When I was a second grade in elementary school, my school buried a time capsule. And the time capsule was dig up w
Mike Hazlip
Sep 04, 2012 Mike Hazlip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
I had my daughter read this for homeschool. It's funny and witty with some good examples of irony. Marvin Redpost is accused of picking his nose, and the more he tries to deny it, the more his classmates think it's true.

(view spoiler)
Reed S
I recently finished reading Why pick on me by:Louis Sachar. I really like this book because it shows that you shouldn't pick on others if you do it. I also like this book because at the end he figures out that all the kids that make fun of him pick there nose. This book is about Marvin Redpost and how he gets picked on until his parents sit down with him and explain how most people in his class do embarrassing things that they don't share. One thing I don't like about the book is that there is a ...more
Haruna Saka
Jan 17, 2014 Haruna Saka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book: )
"Marvin Redpost: Why pick on me?"
By Louis Sachar (Random House)

Time: )
2/8=49min

7 summary: )
wall-ball, bullying, nose-picker, survey, ask, unfair, misunderstanding

My thought: )
This book that one of my friends recommend to me was very interesting. It's good for all students who want to become a teacher to keep reading this series. I like it. This situation is a really typical type of bullying (picking on someone). That's why I could feel that I have to think carefully about like those probl
Shuhei Ota
Nov 11, 2012 Shuhei Ota rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
11/8=15min , 11/9=15min, 11/10=15min, 11/12=15min,
Seven words: pick - nose- game- tough- tease- friend- survey
Discussion Question:
Q1: Do you have a best friend?
A1: Yes. He had been same school with me from elementary school to high school. Moreover, we belonged to baseball club together. We hanged out a lot and sometimes helped each other.
Q2: Main character was bullied because he was picking him nose. Have you ever picked your nose?
A2: Yes. When I was three or four years old, I had done.
Comme
Michelle Ault
In this book, Marvin, a third grader, is wrongly accused of picking his nose. He goes around telling everyone he doesn’t pick his nose which just makes people think he’s even grosser. Everyone then avoids him, including his best friends. For social studies everyone has to come up with a survey question, and Marvin’s disgust everyone. One theme I picked up from this book is that none of us are as perfect as we may try to act and everyone is human and has weird habits. This can teach elementary s ...more
Yumi Learner
Mar 28, 2015 Yumi Learner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 8th Book in English This Year

Yesterday I finished reading 8th book in English, Marvin Redpost #2 Why pick on me?. I read it only in an hour and I am very proud of myself!

I like the book as much as the first book of this series. I think the content is good for children to think of bully. Marvin is a very smart student, and he solved the problem in a very neat way.

I read the sequel today and want to write about the review tomorrow.
Kevan
Is he as disgusting as they say he is? The runor is going around that Marvin Redpost is the biggest nose-picker in the school. Clarence started it, and now everyone is acting as if its true. Even Marvin's best friends don't want to be seen with him. It's unfair! But what can Marvin do about it?

We read this book for one of my granddaughters book reports at school. We would each read it and then discuss, to help her with comprehension. It's a gross subject, but it made us laugh.
Jessica Kang
Clarence, the meanest kid in Marvin's school, fought with Marvin, then, she spread a strange rumor, which is Marvin piked his nose.
The more he deny the rumor, the more his friends believe and leave him, even his best friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
His sister said that why picking nose is bad.
How can he solve the problem?
Jarret Stoner
Feb 18, 2016 Jarret Stoner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book had a good lesson like all the other books in this series. This books lesson is what u can do if u get picked on and what i could have tried to do when i was getting picked on. He was getting picked on for picking his nose and then at the end everyone. Well you will just have to read it for yourself.
Johnny Bennett
Not as brilliant as other books in this serious, Why Pick on Me also struggles from what I would consider a generally all too real view of adults. This isn't actually a flaw in the book but instead a flaw in how we as adults handle children. And it is irritating to have it pointed out in a children's book. Like was said before, not bad, but not brilliant.
ABC
Jan 27, 2012 ABC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a difficult topic--nose picking!

A bully falsely accuses Marvin of picking his nose, and then everyone is calling him a nose picker. Even his teacher thinks it is true.

This book handles bullying and also being human. The ending may surprise you!! Now excuse me while I go get a tissue.

Very much a "boy" book, though girls will like it, too.
Karielle
errrrm....i have no clue y i read this one, i found it on my second grade cousin's desk and picke dit up

its kinda sickening and childish at the same time...but i member reading it from when i was smaller, so it was okay
Jan
Jun 08, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the world of 2nd graders, where the word "booger" sets off shouts of laughter, this book is a boy's delight. His parents will love the quiet, intelligent way Marvin sets about silencing the school bullies.

Louis Sachar at his juvenile-writer best.
Lanelibrarylady
Cute story with a kid-appealing message that speaks to the topic of bullying/teasing/excluding. While the nose-picking theme stoops to "bathroom humor" level (for me, anyways!), the message of teasing other kids will be delivered to the more reluctant readers.
Emily Lorkowski
Dec 28, 2011 Emily Lorkowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book. I thought it was funny.It was about how a kid named Marvin who always gets picked on and always gets in trouble.
Bibliotekar
My 8-year-old loves these books and they are funny read-aloud's for bedtime!
Mrsmook
another great series for reluctant readers
Catherine Woodman
Louis Sachar is a great writer for mid-grammar school age kids--The Marvin Redpost series is a great example of his talent at accessible writing and reading for this age group
  • Aliens for Breakfast
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeepers' Monster Class Trip (The Adventures Of The Bailey School Kids Super Special, #5)
  • Princess Charlotte and the Enchanted Rose (The Tiara Club at Silver Towers, #1)
  • Dolphins! (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • How to Be Cool in the Third Grade
  • Horrible Harry and the Holidaze
  • What a Trip, Amber Brown
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Jake Drake Know-It-All
  • The Case of the Library Monster
  • The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #4)
  • The Elevator Family
  • Karen's Pizza Party (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #42)
  • December Secrets
  • Fox On The Job (Easy To Read Level 3)
  • Arthur's Nose (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...

Marvin Redpost (8 books)
  • Marvin Redpost: Kidnapped at Birth? (Marvin Redpost, #1)
  • Marvin Redpost: Is He a Girl? (Marvin Redpost, #3)
  • Alone in His Teacher's House
  • Class President
  • Flying Birthday Cake?
  • Super Fast, Out of Control!
  • A Magic Crystal? (Marvin Redpost)