Start by marking “We All Wore Stars: Memories of Anne Frank from Her Classmates” as Want to Read:
We All Wore Stars: Memories of Anne Frank from Her Classmates

We All Wore Stars: Memories of Anne Frank from Her Classmates

In 1941, Theo Coster was a student at the Amsterdam Jewish Lyceum, one in a class of 28 Jewish children that the Nazis had segregated from the rest of the Dutch population. Among Theo's fellow students was a young Anne Frank, whose diary would later become one of the most important documents of the Holocaust. In this remarkable group portrait, Coster and five of his fellow ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about We All Wore Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We All Wore Stars

Ana
Feb 24, 2015 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edwina Callan
May 29, 2016 Edwina Callan rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2016
Anne Frank as remembered by her friends and classmates.
Highly recommended.
Katina
Feb 07, 2012 Katina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Theo Coster (who went to create the game "Guess Who?") was Anne Frank's classmate at one of the segregated school Jewish children were forced to attend during WWII in Amsterdam. This book retells the stories that Coster uncovered while he created a documentary to tell the stories of his and Anne's fellow former schoolmates. The concept of this book is probably better suited for film, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Of course, this book hammers in the importance of remembering and retelling stories of wa
Joana
Aug 28, 2013 Joana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Li este livro há, aproximadamente, um ano. Mas sinto que preciso de escrever sobre ele, visto que é muito pouco conhecido.

Quando iniciei a leitura, confesso que pensei que fosse maioritariamente sobre Anne Frank. Aliás, acho que é ao que o título nos remete. Mas não. Este livro fala-nos de um homem, Theo Coster, que conheceu Anne e que decidiu fazer uma espécie de entrevista a outros seus ex-colegas.
Fiquei desiludida de início, pois esperei um livro completamente diferente. No entanto, quando o
Emily
This book sounded really wonderful but I was a little wary that it was just trying to trade in on the Anne Frank name. That was true to a tiny extent but not in any kind of bad way. Really the story didn't need an Anne Frank connection, the stories of each classmate was fascinating on it's own but perhaps they wouldn't have been told without the connection.

However, just because a story is wonderful doesn't mean the story-teller is capable of doing it justice. This was a little bit like listenin
Sara Marks
Feb 28, 2012 Sara Marks rated it really liked it
Growing up Jewish meant I never escaped the Holocaust. We hear about it early in our lives and Anne Frank's story quickly enters our education. I think her diary was the first book I actually read about the holocaust, but I have only read it once. I have had many copies through the years, but never read it more than that first time. There were so many other books to read; fiction and non fiction alike. In the past year I have found more Holocaust memoirs coming past me. I suspect it has a lot to ...more
Wayne
Mar 21, 2014 Wayne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Anne
Recommended to Wayne by: A Good friend Janice
A book like this makes me think of the Holocaust Deniers I have encountered on Goodreads.
One was a priestess no less, a worshipper of Nature(fine !!!), but when you scratched the surface there was nothing more than a rabid Jew-Hater and in Full Blown Denial of the Holocaust.She claimed that Anne's Diary was a fake, as it was written in biro.I think her responses on the Diary Site were soon withdrawn after our little contretemps !!!

Nothing could make me HAPPIER than to discover that the Whole Hor
Megan
We All Wore Stars is a collection of Holocaust stories from the classmates of Anne Frank at the Jewish Lyceum in Amsterdam. It's remarkable how vastly different the stories are from one another. Each person has a completely different tale to tell about their survival. Yet each story also highlights Coster's ending remarks about good fortune and luck - each person recalls close calls while in hiding, mismarked paperwork, or connections that helped protect them, at least for a little while.

While A
MissSusie
Sep 20, 2011 MissSusie rated it it was amazing
This was a very thought provoking book, we have all read her book or at least heard of Anne Frank but we’ve never heard about the kids from her class that survived. So many Jewish kids in the Netherlands went into hiding some were fortunate to be taken in with families that took good care of them some had freedom and some had to stay hidden.

This was a project that encompassed not only a book but a documentary too, (which I really want to see.) Theo Coster went looking for other classmates that a
Amanda
*initial thoughts*
A moving collection of accounts from Anne Frank's surviving classmates, at the time of writing in their 80's. A quick read divided into three parts and a prologue and epilogue. Most notable is how it shows how even for children from the exact same class in the exact same school the experience of the Holocaust was different. I did think that it could have used just a touch more editing for clarity and flow and perhaps more details from some of the classmates, but it's possible t
TrumanCoyote
Feb 01, 2012 TrumanCoyote rated it liked it
"I have a slew of admirers who adore me and, when nothing else is feasible, try to get a glimpse of me in class with a broken pocket mirror." I've just been chuckling about that line of Anne's all week. Anyway, this book was (I thought) a bit too torpid for its subject matter; naturally nobody is exactly a whirlwind by the age of 80, but the languidness of age I think makes the topic at hand seem all the more aloof and distant. It also comes across too much like a School Presentation and not a g ...more
Becky
Oct 27, 2011 Becky rated it liked it
I won this book in a FirstRead giveaway. I was very excited about it because I have always been fascinated about WWII and the Holocaust, and so I was very eager to hear about the experiences that others went through. Overall, I learned a lot, but there were moments where I thought the people in the book put too much emphasis on knowing Anne Frank. While that does get one's attention, it felt like they thought if they didn't put that emphasis there, they wouldn't be able to get others to listen t ...more
Nelson Lourenço
Aug 07, 2012 Nelson Lourenço rated it it was amazing
Nome do Livro em Português:"Memórias de Anne Frank" de Theo Coster

Anne Frank e os seus colegas de escola eram crianças inocentes, inteligentes e cheias de fé no futuro. Estudavam no liceu judeu de Amesterdão, o local que os nazis escolheram para segregar as crianças judias do resto da população. Para o povo judeu, cada dia representava um desafio; para as suas crianças, apenas a escola mantinha a ilusão de uma normalidade que cada cadeira vazia vinha contrariar.
Anne Frank, cujo diário viria a s
Jenn (Booksessed)
This book was very interesting, but I think that the title itself was a bit misleading. It’s not so much about Anne Frank as it is about her classmates’ story of survival. They do mention Anne frequently but it’s usually in reference to a lot of them being invited to her birthday party. But the main focus of is the survival of her classmates.

This is not to say that I disliked the story. I found her classmates’ stories the most interesting part of the entire book. I would have liked the book equa
Colleen
Nov 15, 2011 Colleen rated it it was amazing
"...It's amazing how very different each of their stories is, and I have found this to be true of every Holocaust biography I have read. They were going through the same troubles, and had a common enemy, but no two stories are quite alike. I cherished every memory shared in this book, and was very sorry to come to the end as soon as I did. It's a very short read, but incredibly touching. It was fun and interesting to read what each of them had to say about how they remembered Anne when they were ...more
Jul 13, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
This slim volume lays out the stories of several of Anne Frank's classmates at the Jewish Lyceum, including the author. Their stories are quite varied, from the author who managed to hide in plain sight, to a girl who ended up in the concentration camps before Anne's family and reunited with her briefly at Bergen-Belsen. A good supplement to any unit on the Holocaust and teaching Anne Frank's famous diary, this volume fills in the gap of what happens after a hiding family is discovered, or what ...more
Emily
Apr 22, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
It has been some time since I read The Diary of Anne Frank, and I was concerned that I would be missing crucial pieces of information while reading this book. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Some of it came back while I read, and much of it was quoted when it was referenced.

This book contains the stories of 6 of Anne Frank's classmates (from the Amsterdam Jewish Lyceum). Each had different experiences through the war, and in each way they tell their stories here.

Not only do we learn a bit mo
Karina Dulin
Nov 09, 2016 Karina Dulin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
First book of the month that I didn't love. It was okay. It was, for me, a good reminder that people who don't know Christ see the world through a different filter. Coster thinks his deliverance was a matter of sheer luck. For that reason, he betrays more bitterness for his suffering (and the many Dutch who, in his view, cooperated with the Nazis) than thankfulness for his survival (and the few Dutch who risked everything to procure it). And, to be honest, the book suffers from more prosaic prob ...more
Gloria
Sep 09, 2012 Gloria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
This is the story of elderly survivors of the Holocaust who had gone to school with Anne Frank. It is an easy fast read but tells an important story. The war events were different for every individual yet the sam in their impact on them and their families. Some went to "labor camps" and some were able to live in the community yet all were changed. They wonder why they survived when classmates did not. But mostly it is a story of a time and place. Everyone needs to read this and to remember what ...more
Jenni
Oct 27, 2011 Jenni rated it really liked it
Theo Coster's book "We all Wore Stars" shares memories of Anne Frank from her classmates and gives you a glimpse into the authors life during the war as well as his fellow classmate's experiences during wartime. A moving account told in a matter-of fact way of how the holocaust effected their lives. You finish the book with a renewed understanding of Anne Frank and of the remarkable girl she was. The lives of those that survived this horrific period in history stands as a testimony of their cour ...more
Liz V.
May 11, 2012 Liz V. rated it liked it
The author reconnects with childhood friends, and survivors of the Holocaust--all of whom knew Anne Frank during their pre-hiding years. The outcome is a film of their remembrances, which are touching. My thought, however, is that each is memorable in his or her own right, without need of Anne Frank as a touchstone.
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
Does give insight into what Anne was really like from her classmates points of view. This book is much more important because of the stories of her classmates. Their stories are very different and all fascinating. It is amazing that they were all able to live and years later reunite and discuss what happened to them. Very good, makes you want to see the movie that Mr. Coster made.
Nelo
Jul 26, 2012 Nelo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book teached me a lot I didnt know about the Holocaust, while showing me some new perspectives of the Anne Frank story. Her classmates stories are interesting, and a bit shocking, though the book could have been bigger. Nevertheless, i recommend it to anyone who is interested in knowing more details about Anne Frank, and the Holocaust.
Good Reading :).
Ginger
Apr 02, 2015 Ginger rated it really liked it
It was so interesting to read the different perspectives of Anne Frank's classmates and read their stories. My favorite quote from the book: "It seems there's little awareness today of what it truly means to live during wartime, and of the importance of preventing wars. It is something that requires constant reflection."
Really interesting story, but the dialogue was quite awkward and stilted. It was interesting to hear what Anne Frank's classmates thought of her, to find out that a lot of what she wrote about herself and her classmates was considerably exaggerated. Definitely read The Diary of Anne Frank before you read this, this book is meant as a sequel, not a stand alone story.
Rachel
Sep 15, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I loved this book SO much. I never knew how much impact Ann Frank had on the second world War. A beautiful book. If you enjoyed reading her diary (I am Jewish and it was horrifying what she wrote but I loved it) you will enjoy reading this book!
Marty
Jan 06, 2012 Marty rated it really liked it
I liked the book, but think it could have been a little more in depth regarding Anne Frank, after all her name is in the title.
I also would have liked to see some of the photo's the author referred to in his text.
Heather
Jun 15, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
I did like this book. I just wished there was more: more details, more stories, etc... It was a nice alternative perspective to just reading Diary of Anne Frank. I would very much like to see the documentary created along with the book, but so far I have been unable to locate it.
Chloë
Jan 29, 2016 Chloë rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
excellent insight into the lives of those in hiding.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Ides: Caesar's Murder and the War for Rome
  • Woman of Letters: Irene Nemirovsky and Suite Francaise
  • The Road: Stories, Journalism, and Essays
  • Quicksands: A Memoir
  • To War with Whitaker: The Wartime Diaries of the Countess of Ranfurly, 1939-1945
  • Tom Thumb: The Remarkable True Story of a Man in Miniature
  • The Chicktionary: From A-line to Z-snap, the words every woman should know
  • Tudor England
  • Floating Gold: A Natural (and Unnatural) History of Ambergris
  • The Life of Irene Nemirovsky: 1903-1942
  • Jean-Baptiste Cléry: Eyewitness to Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette's Nightmare
  • Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: A new history in the words of the men and women who survived
  • Forgetting English: Stories
  • Their Darkest Hour
Theo Coster is the author of the forthcoming WE ALL WORE STARS (Palgrave Macmillan, 9/27/11).

Coster was a classmate and friend of Anne Frank at the Amsterdam Jewish Lyceum. A toymaker and game designer (he created the universally loved board game Guess Who?), he is executive producer of the documentary film The Classmates of Anne Frank.

Coster has lived in Tel Aviv since 1955.
More about Theo Coster...

“Frankly, I believe that identity is what's inside us.” 5 likes