Start by marking “Six Myths of Our Time: Little Angels, Little Monsters, Beautiful Beasts, and More” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Is Jurassic Park a work of covert misogynist propaganda? Does romanticizing childhood lead to abusing children? What secret correspondence links Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to video games and Shakespeare's Caliban to Hannibal Lecter? in what ways do our culture's most hallowed legends inform the current debates over single mothers, the men's movement, and animal rights?

In
Published January 31st 1995 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Six Myths of Our Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Myths of Our Time

Chris
It is important to note that Six Myths of Our Time was published in 1994 so Warner's comments about video games, while still much on point, are dated (there is, of course, no mention of Grand Theft Auto). After reading the first chapter, I doubt that I will be able to ever look at Jurassic Park(book or movie) the same way. I enjoyed the last chapter which dealt with the changed view of the British monorachy, and why, to an a extent that change happened. Warner comments much on how myths effect o ...more
AJ LeBlanc
It’s a huge pain in the ass that I can’t just be a feminist anymore. I have to be a humanist. Or I get to be a “feminist AND” or a “feminist BUT“. Everything is so watered down and angry that you have to explain what you are by immediately pointing out what you aren’t.

So…I’m a feminist BUT I don’t hate men. I’m a feminist AND I think we need to work to make sure everyone is treated fairly.

Mostly I just hate people. But I try to do it equally.

Anyway, this needs to turn into a book review of Six M
Diana
More good stuff by Marina Warner - insights into how myth and folklore and the stuff of fairy tales is still ever so present in our own modern society. I give it four instead of five stars because it's more an introductory foray into these ideas, ideas she deals with much more in depth in other books. I'd say this is the "lite" version of what she provides much more research and detail about in books like From the Beast to the Blonde, Alone of all Her Sex, and Monuments and Maidens. It's a good ...more
Miriam
Many of the themes are treated in greater detail in Warner's excellentNo Go The Bogeyman: Scaring, Lulling, and Making Mock, but this is a shorter and more accessible treatise for readers who want the ideas without all the examples and footnotes. The weakest section is that on video games, which is not only now out-dated, but doesn't read as if the author ever actually played one, or even knows anyone who has.
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This slim volume is made up of essays Warner presented via a BBC radio show on themes often found in myth and fairy tale. Most interestingly, Warner also addresses current sociological problems at the same time. In her opening essay 'Monstrous Mothers' she addresses misogyny, the 'problem' of single mothers, and Medea's literary legacy. Unlike most of Warner's work, I found this volume highly readable: the fact that these are the verbatim essays as they were read on the air helps immeasurably, I ...more
Pamster
These were written as half hour speeches to be given on the BBC in a lecture series with a long history, in which she was the only the second woman ever invited to participate. I liked the cannibalism chapter a lot. And I got all worked up at the bar when someone didn't believe me that the Jurassic Park dinos could symbolize monstrous women as threat to the nuclear fam. I'm into reading more of her.
Rachel
Not Marina Warner's best, but still worth reading. It is not daring, audacious, or vital in the way that From the Beast to the Blonde is, but she is clear, succinct, and accurate. Very much cultural criticism for beginners.
Anushka
Especially relevant to our current stereotyping of the general spheres that occupy our lives, love the integration of ancient mythology in this exploration.
Jane
Apr 19, 2010 Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: essay
Loved this. Warner's essays are incredibly thought provoking re: traditional literature and myth. I'll refer to these again and again
Christina
Not bad. Not as brilliantly accessible as Joseph Campbell, not as scholarly as Roland Barthes. It's hard to believe the essays were originally presented as radio talks because some of the sentences are difficult to untangle even on the page. Maybe hearing it aloud would actually make it clearer.
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda added it
Dec 07, 2014
Rylee Edgar
Rylee Edgar marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Tatyana
Tatyana marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Sashi
Sashi marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Melinda Diggs
Melinda Diggs marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Sunil
Sunil marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Conor Byrne
Conor Byrne marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Mila
Mila marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Areej
Areej marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Roe
Roe marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Shofa Imaziyah
Shofa Imaziyah marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Edith
Edith marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Off With Their Heads!: Fairy Tales and the Culture of Childhood
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Breaking the Magic Spell: Radical Theories of Folk and Fairy Tales
  • Tarrying with the Negative: Kant, Hegel, and the Critique of Ideology
  • The Fairies in Tradition and Literature
  • Don't Tell the Grown-Ups: The Subversive Power of Children's Literature
  • Our Vampires, Ourselves
  • On the Origin of Stories: Evolution, Cognition, and Fiction
  • The Mouse that Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence (Culture & Education) (Culture & Education Series)
  • The Vampire: A Casebook
  • How (Not) to Be Secular: Reading Charles Taylor
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • The Cambridge Companion to Gothic Fiction
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
  • Touch Magic: Fantasy, Faerie & Folklore in the Literature of Childhood
  • Clever Maids: The Secret History of the Grimm Fairy Tales
Marina Sarah Warner is a British novelist, short story writer, historian and mythographer. She is known for her many non-fiction books relating to feminism and myth.

She is a professor in the Department of Literature, Film and Theatre at the University of Essex, and gave the Reith Lectures on the BBC in 1994 on the theme of 'Managing Monsters: Six Myths of Our Time.'

More about Marina Warner...
From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers Alone of All Her Sex No Go the Bogeyman: Scaring, Lulling, and Making Mock Indigo Phantasmagoria: Spirit Visions, Metaphors, and Media Into the Twenty-First Century