Start by marking “The Long, Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora” as Want to Read:
The Long, Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora

The Long, Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora

A musician, entranced by an intriguing voice he hears on an old tape, embarks on a mission to find the ever-mysterious Neftoon Zamora, whose voice he has been listening to. Beginning in Mississippi, he soon finds himself traveling through the New Mexico desert, encountering strange and mystical inhabitants who all have conflicting yarns to spin about the ephemeral Neftoon. ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Long, Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long, Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora

Steven Drachman
Aug 05, 2012 Steven Drachman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
shocking to me that I haven't reviewed this book yet. I read it when it was first published, and it's lived in vividly in my memory since then. It's haunting and beautiful, and it's also an incisive satire. Maybe you can judge a writer by his admirers, and just look at what Douglas Adams and Wendy Wasserstein had to say about "The Long Sandy Hair". There's been no greater artistic innovator than Michael Nesmith, and that he's been overlooked in so many different genres is a shame. This is a grea ...more
Angelina Neale
Mar 10, 2013 Angelina Neale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow this works. An old favourite...and not just because I was gifted a signed version. A journey worth reading. X Angelina.
Hilary
Jan 11, 2010 Hilary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Townes, Sean, Krissy
Recommended to Hilary by: Michael Nesmith
Here, let me lay down a tale of Neftoon Zamora...

Thus begins Michael Nesmith's folkloric tale of the importance of respecting knowledge above ignorance - of spirituality beyond power and earthly means. The most important things in life are often the things that we overlook. Simplicity is often better than complexity - and oh so much more precious.

Nesmith's prose is like his music - beautiful in its simplicity and apt to sneak up on you with a laugh when you least expect it. Nesmith's brilliance
Amanda
Jun 12, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Technically I listened to the audiobook version of this, (c'mon, it's Michael Nesmith! He could read the phone book and I'd still be there!) This book was a really interesting mix of bizarre, gritty Americana storytelling with an aspect of audiobiography woven in. At times the book becomes more about abstract ideas and the authors strong views rather than actual storytelling, but as it's broken into fables and legends in places it works pretty well. It's the sort of book where I think different ...more
Robin
Jul 15, 2016 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So when I heard Mike Nesmith wrote a book I knew it would be my TBR, but then I found out he also read the audiobook and I knew it would be the next book I read. So this book took me through this journey through fantasy then reality then science fiction and then to I don't know what.
At first I thought it was just a random character written, but then I quickly realized that Nesmith was writing about himself so it makes me wonder how real this book is supposed to be.
The best part of the book was
Amy Rosenkoetter
I expected something just about this esoteric from Mike Nesmith (yes, THAT Mike Nesmith, of the Monkees), and this did not fail to meet my expectations head on. He chronicles the rather zen journey of a guy only known as "Nez" (which is, duh, "zen" backwards; it is also a possible nickname for Mr. Nesmith himself, which does not surprise me in the least). It is a fascinating journey, but it leaves a lot of questions unanswered, just the way a lot of our real-life events do. I have no doubt that ...more
Caitlin Carney
Aug 24, 2011 Caitlin Carney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a favourite of mine - the characters are brilliantly fleshed out but it's the story that is so brilliant. To paraphrase Cars, it moves, rises, falls, curves and twists along the road of the setting. It's the first book I've read for a while that I have not wanted to put down. A love story with a twist to be read over and over, and discover something new every single time.
Jillian
Jan 06, 2016 Jillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I of course bought this book offline because my favorite Monkee Michael Nesmith wrote it and I was altogether curious. However upon finishing it I have to say that I am quite surprised and very satisfied. The story is beautifully spun through fact and fiction and is at times mesmerizing. Great read, awesome story.
Rick Phillips
Mike Nesmth of the Monkees has writen a good but not a great novel. The main character tries to find the legendary Neftoon Zamora. The journey seesaws between being metaphysical and an action/adventure/comedy. What could have been a huge mess of a story winds up being quite entertaining and like almost everything he does Mr. Nesmith is always entertaining.
Brian Frey
Mar 05, 2008 Brian Frey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Nesmith's first (only) novel and it's just as strange as you'd imagine it would be. The book evolves like a long daydream. At times the lines between Neftoon Zamora's real-world and fantasy-world are extremely blurry, but the confusion pays off in the end. Word of warning: If read this book stoned you may lose your mind.
Chris Leib
May need to read this one again. Pap Nes tried his hand at writing a novel and came up with his fantasy/autobiography/fictional tale of a mytholgical, sci fi, love story with the protagonist, Nez, searching for truth. Admittedly, it confused the heck out of me when I first read it, so it's worth a trip back to see if I've gotten any smarter.
Ashley Long
It's not that I didn't like this book, but I don't think it's the type of book I would normally read. I mostly read it because Mike Nesmith wrote it. It's very well written. I just don't feel like it took me on a complete journey, or maybe not the one I thought it would. If you like Nez I would recommend reading this book.
Lise
A humourous, heartfelt magic realism novel about the mystical Neftoon Zamora, part Zuni, part Martian and part Delta blues musician. Written by Michael Nesmith from The Monkees (and he even signed my copy of the book!)
Kerri
Jun 14, 2012 Kerri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and I am not just saying that because I am a fan of the author's music and the author himself :) it was one of those books that I couldn't put down and couldn't wait to pick up where I left off. I just hope he writes a third book in the near future
Shannon
May 08, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the book for the most part, but the ending felt so abrupt and somewhat unresolved to me that it cheapened the experience a bit. That said, I absolutely plan on reading it again to see if I can pick up on anything I may have missed in my initial go-through.
Mark C'de Baca
Nov 29, 2012 Mark C'de Baca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes Nesmith of the monkeyes wrote this and it is suprisingly good! I listened to it in audio book form and read by the author, really recomend it.
Tieria's
Aug 21, 2012 Tieria's rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another rainy-day-in-a-comfy-chair book that you can't go wrong with. You can just hear Nesmith reciting this thing in your mind as it goes along, with all of its quirks and humor and twists.
Cheryl
I read this book years ago, and honestly remember absolutely nothing about what I read! I'm making a note to reread it.
Jenn
Apr 05, 2008 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Mike Nesmith, but he is a nutjob. This is some rambling of his. It is entertaining enough. At least my copy is autographed.
Crystal Rafuse
Apr 17, 2015 Crystal Rafuse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wendy
Jul 24, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun folk tale with a mysterious story. I needed a dictionary for some of the words the author chose to use, but that made it educational as well.
Pattie
Pattie rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2011
Al Hayfever
Al Hayfever rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2011
Taylor Scheid
Taylor Scheid rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Melissa Smith
Melissa Smith rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Bethany Lang
Bethany Lang rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2010
Pam
Nov 01, 2007 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Nez goes on an adventure to find Neftoon Zamora -- woman or myth? -- Zany characters in SW setting
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2007
Bobbie King
Bobbie King rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
Calabaza-cabeza
Calabaza-cabeza rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • I'm a Believer: My Life of Monkees, Music, and Madness
  • Horse's Neck
  • They Made a Monkee Out of Me
  • Shell Shocked: My Life with the Turtles, Flo & Eddie, and Frank Zappa, Etc.
  • The Arthurian Legends
  • John Coltrane
  • A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes: My Story
  • Bootleg: The Secret History of the Other Recording Industry
  • Myself When I Am Real: The Life and Music of Charles Mingus
Michael Nesmith is an American musician, songwriter, actor, producer, novelist, businessman, and philanthropist, best known as a member of the pop rock band the Monkees and co-star of the 1960's TV series The Monkees .

More about Michael Nesmith...