Start by marking “Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling” as Want to Read:
Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling

Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Tips and techniques for making food look good—before it tastes good!

Food photography is on the rise, with the millions of food bloggers around the word as well as foodies who document their meals or small business owners who are interested in cutting costs by styling and photographing their own menu items, and this book should serve as your first course in food photography

Published (first published March 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Plate to Pixel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plate to Pixel

Sharon
May 22, 2011 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: photographers
I just chanced upon this wonderful photography book through the author's website. www.tarteletteblog.com
The blog is a combination of terrific recipes, and more terrific photos. This book is brand new. It is a how-to photograph and style food. But the information crosses into other genres. You might not be interested in the book but we all love food...so try her website.
Alicia
Helene Dujardin is a wonderful food photographer. Here, she's written a book to guide aspiring food photographers (or food bloggers) into learning the art. I've always enjoy food photography, but had never put any effort into styling or using props. I simply plated food and use my skills as a photographer to get images that were good, but not great. Sure, as a photographer I know how to take pictures, but it's the styling portion that makes the photographs more interesting, and I didn't have tha...more
Leah Hortin
I really enjoyed this book. I found it most beneficial to actually look at her pictures and the settings that she used to achieve that photo. The tone was very informal, which I appreciate. She's obviously knowledgeable in food styling and photography. I did disregard a lot of the information, especially on artificial lighting, because I eat what I prepare and photograph and don't have lengthy photo shoots. Reading this book did give me a little more confidence and renewed my desire for good pho...more
JDAZDesigns
There's no denying... This is a beautiful book. C'mon! It's filled with pictures by Helene Dujardin. She's fabulous and really knows her stuff. I was very much caught up in just looking. Then, of course, I wanted recipes for half of the pictures in the book.

But that's not what this book is all about. This book is "about" photography. Specifically, photographing food. Which is really difficult. I am great with people, animals, still life. But food is something I'm trying to master. Because it's s...more
Athisaya Divya
Jan 10, 2012 Athisaya Divya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies, photographers, food bloggers
Shelves: foodie-books
Being a food blogger and interested in food photography, I absolutely loved reading the book! It has so much information about food styling, camera techniques, composition, lighting etc. The author herself being a cook and a blogger touches all topics right from plating to editing pictures and copyright issues. The book is filled with beautiful food pictures that make you drool! I see myself using some of the techniques I learnt from this book in the future..
Splendie Eva
My comment may not be accurate as this is my first photography book. The book is well presented - ofcuz. Writing is very good over my expectation. Not the boring technical more than a diary of professional photographer or a story telling. Somehow i wonder the page turned because I am fall in photography or the story. Charming and easy to catch for a very amateur ..like me. U may find a smile on your face while reading it...

Have fun!
Moonface
Aug 07, 2012 Moonface rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: photographers, food bloggers, foodies
I really enjoyed reading this book. I enjoyed all the gorgeous pictures, the tips, tricks and the process of cooking the dish to finalizing the shot that Helene explained. The book can use more organization and spell checking, but otherwise it is a very good book/reference to have. If you are serious about food photography read this book.
Nags
It was a useful read, but I felt like there wasn't much extra if you consider all the useful photography resources online. I am not sure I would buy it and refer back to it, just nice for a one-time-read.
Hana Jay
I bought this book to give me an overview on how to become better at photographing food for my blog. I've been a big fan of Helene from Tartalette for some time and her photos looks always brilliant. Her book gave me a chance to pick her brains, and learn how to make everything easier and more fun. The book starts with the basics (exposition, focus, ISO, etc.) but gives a lot of good advice on where to get nice props and how to style food for your photos. It does not go into detail with the tech...more
Pechluck Laskey
Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling by Helene Dujardin of the blog Tartlette. I don't do very much recipe photography from my cooking- more often it's food while I'm out at a restaurant or event- but I was sure there were still tidbits I could learn.

This book is written with the voice of hands on experience, yet also casual and conversationally that keeps a reader engaged like being taught by a friend. She often tells an anecdote from her past, and there are plenty of pictures...more
Paul Deveaux
Decent book on food photography. This is geared towards someone with little or no photography experience. The author spends the majority of the book talking about photography basics. The section on styling food is actually more about creating interesting compositions than actually styling food. There's no information in here about using motor oil in place of maple syrup or scotch guarding pancakes. The author tends to prefer natural light and being able to eat the food after the shoot. A decent...more
Julie
This gave me lots of new, usable food photography tips for my recipe blog. It was definitely worth reading. I feel so much improved and can pick out colors to compliment and not distract from my baked goods.
I did wish there was more on photographing food that isn't fine dining--like I still am not sure how to do lighting for my bold Hot Wing Pizza recipe.
Paula Quinene
Taking pictures and setting up a "scene" comes more naturally to some than others. This book is quite helpful for both camps. My husband taught me that using a camera is all about the light. Helen does an excellent job in describing how to manipulate light. I used to shoot food pics with artificial light at night when the household was asleep, but am a total convert to using natural light now, even in the midst of children running around. Helen's photos within the book are on-point for her expla...more
Rachel
Checked this book out of the library to see if I could improve my food photography on my blog. This book is a great resource. Not only did it cover everything from camera settings to lighting to food placement but also provided clear examples. The author took multiple shots of the same food set up so you could accurately see changes in lighting etc.
My only complaint is this book is really more of a manual than something you can read in one sitting. Definitely something to have next to you while...more
Joy Weese Moll
Starting with photography basics and ending with post-processing, Plate to Pixel by Hélène Dujardin provides a soup to nuts guide on shooting photos of food. She works commercially, now, but she got her start as a food blogger at Tartelette. The focus of the book is on home cooks and bloggers although there is advice for photographers who want to work in advertising and magazines.

More thoughts (and a photo!) on my blog: Book Review: Plate to Pixel by Helene Dujardin.
Libby
Although I've yet to put any of these tips into practice, I already feel much more knowledgable about food photography, and also DSLR photography in general.
As well as plenty of lovely photographs and tips on food photography, as would be expected, there are also the basics laid down very simply. I feel like this will be an excellent reference book as I learn more about my camera. She explains the techniques well enough for a newbie like me to comprehend, and with good examples--comparing the l...more
Rohini
Brilliant! I've learned so much and have so many techniques to practice!
Catherine
Best for beginner food photographers. It walks you through the basics of lighting, equipment, and styling. Even for a pro, there were some tips and tricks I enjoyed, especially on the styling end. I noticed a theme of using multiple layers, such as two plates, a napkin and a bowl all stacked up together. It adds more depth to the arial shots. And I always love behind-the-scenes photos of how other photographers work.
Maci Schwenk

FABULOUS! My only complaint is that the pictures looked so good it made me want to stop reading and go make the recipe! But of course there wasn't one. This was unbelievably helpful, Helene shows simple and inexpensive ways to make your food pictures awesome and delightful. You can really tell she loves what she does , which is essential when trying to teach others.
Erin
I really enjoyed reading this book and I learned a lot about the aperture and ISO settings on my camera. I will continue to use it as a reference book to improve my photography skills. I would also highly recommend her list of recommended resources in the back.
Renée Doiron
Excellent reference book for food photographers and photographers of other genres who want to better understand light and technical theory. Composition tips were also excellent. Very highly recommended.
Luv
It's easy to read, written in a relaxed manner, like the person is having a conversation with me The photos styling is the same throughout the book. I find it more suitable for new beginners to photography.
Lisa Eirene
This was a much better book than the others I read. This book gave good hands-on information for how to set up the DLSR camera settings. They also did not use fake food like the other books I read.
Liz DeCoster
A good beginner's look at photographic tips and tricks for food, both regarding cameras and styling. Not particularly in-depth in either regard, but again, appropriate for beginners and amateurs.
Paulo Sebastiao
Straight-forward approach. Love the composition chapter. Expected much more from the post processing chapter, but I guess that information is more appropriate for a Lightroom book.
ashleyTIA
Wonderful book full of inspiration. A lot of the tips and lessons can be applied to all types of photography, not just food photography.
Kim P
Great ideas and tricks to get the most out of each subject. The skills easily translate to other still life photography.
Colette Martin
Inspiring with beautiful photos. I love that the author shares the detailed settings for every shot she takes.
Sara
Sorry, to little information for my knowledge of photography. Didnt' learn anything new :( Nice though.
Josh
Met my expectations: Practical tips for capturing still life objects without technical jargon.
  • Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
  • Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction and More
  • Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why They Work
  • Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes
  • Herbs & Spices: The Cook's Reference
  • What to Drink with What You Eat: The Definitive Guide to Pairing Food with Wine, Beer, Spirits, Coffee, Tea - Even Water - Based on Expert Advice from America's Best Sommeliers
  • Home made
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • Professional Baking
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes
  • The Art of Simple Food II: Recipes, Flavor, and Inspiration from the New Kitchen Garden
  • Change Comes to Dinner: How Vertical Farmers, Urban Growers, and Other Innovators Are Revolutionizing How America Eats
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • Culinary Reactions: The Everyday Chemistry of Cooking
  • The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen
Tart Love: Sassy, Savory, and Sweet Basic to Brilliant, Y'all: 150 Refined Southern Recipes and Ways to Dress Them Up for Company Marmalade: Sweet and Savory Spreads: For a Sophisticated Taste