Start by marking “Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)

Anathema (Causal Enchantment #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,918 Ratings  ·  458 Reviews
Evangeline has spent her teenage years in obscurity. Her foster parents have the emotional aptitude of robots and her classmates barely acknowledge her existence. About to turn eighteen and feeling like a social pariah, she is desperate to connect with someone. Anyone.

When Evangeline meets Sophie after literally stumbling upon her café, she believes she’s found that connec
Published July 15th 2011 by Papoti Books (first published May 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Anathema, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anathema

Shelly Crane
Nov 08, 2011 Shelly Crane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
I bought this book and it sat on my kindle forever, sad to say. The description threw me off. I thought it was going to be some kind of sarcastic mob style vampire book and the dreams that they mentioned would barely be explored and they'd be gruesome and uninteresting.

Wowza, was I wrong! I loved this book and can't believe I waited so long to start it. It flowed smoothly. I never got bored or stalled or wanted to put it down. I've read a lot of good books, but it's been a while where I've rea
Lucia
May 01, 2013 Lucia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Paranormal Lovers
My Evangeline and Caden:

“There are two kinds of spells.
Little, easy spells that you can learn and do anytime, anywhere—start fires, disguise yourself, that kind of stuff. But then there are other spells, where you’re directly altering fate—life and death. That’s a Causal Enchantment spell.”

Evangeline is selfless, caring, diligent almost 18-years old girl who is always trying to help others. But after death of her mom five years ago, noone really paid attention to her. Until she meets Sofia, in
Vanessa *Bluest Ribbon*
Min Li Li
Apr 18, 2015 Min Li Li rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Tek kelimeyle muhteşemdi!!!!

İlk romanı olduğu için ve önceki okuduğum kitabın türü YA olduğundan bu kitap belki çok iyi olmaz diye düşünmüştüm ama fena yanılmışım. K.A Tucker'ı bu kadar beklediğime kesinlikle değmiş. <3
Jamie
Apr 19, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Hello, my name is Jamie and I am free kindle book hoarder."

I literally download every single kindle book I see that is free and I might, maybe, someday read. Does this mean I read them all? No. Absolutely not. Most of the time I just sit there and look at them and then go and buy a book for 2.99 that I really wanted to read or that got rave reviews somewhere.

Anathema was a book I got for free and it sat on my kindle for awhile. I was flipping through my books and saw it and thought hey, that
AJ
Mar 21, 2016 AJ rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for a fun, exciting PNR read which is full of surprises!

I’ve been a fan of KA Tucker’s for some time now, and I’ve been meaning to start this series for a while, and I’m so glad I finally did! This book is a great start to an exciting and unique YA paranormal series, and I am completely enthralled in the story she has created.

Evangeline is a lonely almost-18 year old girl. After the death of her mother five years ago she entered the foster care system but has never really made any conn
Savannah (Books With Bite)
I don't even know where to begin with this book. The storyline was so unique and very creative that this book is devouring! By the end of the first chapter, I was not hooked, but so engrosslly enthralled that I could not, would not, put this book down.

What got me hooked about this book was the unique storyline. Yes, it has vampires in it, but there is so much more to the story. The history of the book laid out a very chaotic future, with great description. I adored the storyline and the way it f
Jackie -Sated Faery
Loved it! I really wasn't too sure about another Vampire book - but this was very unique! Almost a Vampire Dystopian. Lots of twists & suspense along with that little bit of romance that a great book needs! I am gonna be pulling my hair out waiting on the next installment!!
Özlem
Jan 21, 2016 Özlem rated it liked it
Köpeğin konuşması size de Sihirli Annem'deki Taci'yi hatırlatmadı mı? Ben gülmekten okuyamayacaktım kitabı neredeyse :D
Faye
Aug 16, 2011 Faye rated it it was amazing
I think I just got my first taste of paranormal, dystopian, urban fantasy, action, mystery, suspense fused all in one epic book!

I’ve always wondered what would happen if vampires couldn’t control their hunger...and Tucker created just that. Anathema is VERY original. I haven’t read anything like it. There was a lot of dystopian elements and fuse that in with paranormal, vampires, and sorcerers...I know awesome is kind of an over exaggerated word but it really was awesome!

Tucker doesn't stray fa
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Kathleen Tucker's debut novel Anathema was an amazing read! I couldn't categorize it as a Urban Fantasy YA read alone as there are some Dystopian aspects to it as well. The two different worlds she has created are both wonderfully amazing places one set in New York with shopping trips to Prada and extravagant homes. The other a world where theres no technology around and people live in caves with warm underground springs with beautiful waterfalls. The twist is whats the kicker here and I wish I ...more
Lindley Walter-smith
This could really use a good editor/beta, given the frequent word misusage and sone continuity problems, as well as overwriting.of the emerald eyes kind. For all that, and despite the instalove, this is a terrifically entertaining ride. The best way I can describe it is that it's the kind of book you race through wanting to know what's going to happen and if your guesses are correct. It's really a fun read.

I will warn, though, that Evangeline is quite literally the most dimwitted protagonist I'v
Aileen Cadiente
Jun 07, 2011 Aileen Cadiente rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That's the only word that came to mind while I was reading this book. It gripped me from the very beginning. This book is about vampires but it has a unique story and it doesn't have your typical vampire love storyline that you get from other books. It's so refreshing to read a vampire book with a different tale. There's a lot of mysteries to be solved, the romance was just enough that it didn't get me all mushy. Reading the book made me feel like I'm in a dinner mystery theater, trying to ...more
Kenya Wright
I truly enjoyed this book. There were times when I attempted to predict the story and fell short.
Lovely writing.
No sex scenes but lovely sweet romance.
The cool thing about this book is that its set in two different worlds, one a vampire dystopia and one our regular time. I found that to be unique and well-imagined!

This is the type of book that motivates me as a writer to push my imagination farther.
Kathryn
Jul 17, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya, pnr
OH...MY...GOODNESS!!! What a fantastic book...I couldn't put it down. I was captivated by it and I am dying to read the next one.
I love Evangeline and the twists and turns this book keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what is going to happen....and boy did it give you some surprising outcomes...!!
Loved it!! Blew my mind away...a definite must read!
Kristen
Jun 14, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GENRE: Paranormal Romance
THEME: Vampires/Magic
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Author
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
Anathema had a very original plot using the typical vampire paranormal romance, but Tucker was able to create a very unique plot that really intrigued me. The story is full of deception and adventure, the lead character being pushed and pulled in every direction and as the reader you’re along for a very adventurous ride.

Evangeline is a young girl who has a very tru
Simone
Mar 23, 2013 Simone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Talk about intriguing!!
I was fascinated at every turn.
Vampires, witches, parallel universes, talking dogs (well they don't talk, but their master can hear the dog's voice in their head ... I'd love for my Dalmatian to say to me "hey mum, get me a snack will ya?" instead of nosing me all the time teehee)
Clever, entertaining, and with a hint of love
And there is another book to come *happy dancing*
Hayal Perest
Apr 26, 2015 Hayal Perest rated it really liked it
Öncelikle Lanetli bir vampir kitabı. Her ne kadar kitabın kapağı içeriğini yansıtmasa da içinde vampirleri, cadıları ve büyücüleri barındıran, biraz da distopya havasına sahip bir kitap Lanetli.

K.A Tucker ile tanışmam On Küçük Nefes kitabı ile olmuştu. Yazarın bu kitabıyla fantastik türde de başarılı olduğunu düşünüyorum.

Kitabımızın konusundan bahsedecek olursak; Evangeline, babasını hiç tanımamış, annesini kazada kaybetmiş ve yıllarca bakıcı aileler ile kalmış yalnız bir kızdır. Bir gün yollar
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
Anathema is very different from the stories I had already read by Tucker, and while her paranormal story is a bit different, I found the main character, Evangeline, to be very naïve and too trusting.

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

Now, I feel the need to say that Anathema was published five years ago, and I think it's among Tucker's first book. And I might have enjoyed her take on vampires and witches more if I had read it when it was first released rather than n
Stephanie
May 29, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

I picked this book up this morning. I began reading, and soon found that my Nook was permanently attached to my hand.

Who can you trust?

That is just the question Eve (Evangeline) is asking herself. Having grown up without a father, then having to live with the death of her mother. Evangeline felt alone. Then steps in her "saving grace" Sofie, well . . maybe. Meeting Sofie maybe wasn't such a great life saving event after all . . . or was it?

Off to New York to help Sofie out. Evangeline me
Erin
Dec 22, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was a completely new twist on the vampire stories!! With so many books, movies, and tv shows about vamps, it's hard to say there's anything unique out there involving the blood-suckers, but this is definitely something new! Tucker has thrown in witches, werebeasts, a dystopian setting, and a sci-fi twist of dueling universes to create a captivating, intriguing story unlike any other!

Evangeline is such a sweet, determined heroine. She comes across as so innocent and naive when we first
Mindy
Jun 07, 2011 Mindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Yay! I was given the opportunity to review another fabulous book! And guess what? It is a Vampire romance!

K. A. Tucker has created both a fantastic Urban Fantasy world (set in New York) AND a completely separate Dystopia Fantasy world! Can it get any better than that? The Urban Fantasy world Tucker created mirrors the earth in a lot of ways, but the other, Dystopia world has been completely taken over by Vampires and humans have been extinct for 700 years, AND their world has gone downhill ever
Jessica (Taking It One Book at a Time)
When starting Anathema I hadn't read the synopsis in so long that it was like jumping into the dark. So when meeting Evangeline for the first time she seemed lost, but so would any other 17 year old in foster care with no friends. As she stumbled upon Sophie, literally, and instantly had a friendship, my mind was racing with "typical" directions that the book could go in.
No way in hell would I have ever imagined the worlds that K.A. created. Falling asleep every night in a lavish room Evageline
Jacquelyn
Jun 10, 2011 Jacquelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk about leaving a girl suspended in midair…. And I am not just talking about the main character Evangeline, whose future is a blank slate of possibilities that will likely include pandemonium in every way. A khaki existence until a wicked and unbelievable opportunity is presented to her in the form of excitement, adventure, deception, and love…a chance to turn Khaki to Crimson. I too have been suspended in midair… nothing to cling to but my overactive imagination, playing scenes from this boo ...more
Katy
Mar 21, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal/urban fantasy/vampires
Shelves: ebook
Please note: I read this e-book in September 2011 from a copy I picked up free on promotion from Amazon. I'm just updating the formatting. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: Evangeline has been an orphan for 5 years and living in foster homes when she stumbles – quite literally – across a beautiful woman named Sophie who owns a small cafė in Portland, Maine. Sophie offers Evangeline a job at her cafė, but then next day when Evangeline arrives, Sophie announces she has to go to New York and off
Andrea
Jul 17, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
What if you had nothing and no one? No roots to hold you to your life. What if you had the opportunity of a lifetime? The most luxurious aspects of life become yours for the taking. What price would you pay?

Evangeline is a girl with no family, no ties to her life. When the glamorous Sofie mysteriously insinuates herself into Evangeline’s life, her life changes in ways she could never possibly imagine. Upon arriving in New York, Sofie introduces Evangeline to Viggo and Mortimer. The fact that th
Esra
Sep 18, 2015 Esra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
beklentisiz başlamıştım ve başları kötüydü ama sonradan güzelleşti.
SIĞINAKI HEMEEN OKUMAK İSTİYORUM UMARIM HEMEN ÇEVRİLİR.
Laura Lulu
Apr 10, 2013 Laura Lulu rated it it was ok
If you're a fan of instalove, stupid female leads, and gaping plot holes, then you'll like this book more than I did. I swear, if I read one more book with a perfectly perfect vision of manly vampire perfection, who falls in instant, angst-filled, 'I'd die for you' love with a mousy, naive, social misfit human, I'm going to develop a severe hematoma from *headdesk* syndrome. When I think about the girls who read books like this and think, "OMG. She's just like ME!" Truly, I just want to vomit.
Maria
Jun 30, 2011 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anathema was an Awesome read!! If you love Vampires and Magic this book is for you! I loved Evageline and Sofie and can I please get a Max!! Such a cool story and the end definitely leaves you wanting more:) Can't wait for the next one!!
Tahlia Newland
Jun 12, 2011 Tahlia Newland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
What a great book. Well written, great characters I could relate to instantly, an interesting, unusual story and a good ending. I got it off Smashwords for very little and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
  • Gideon's Promise (Son's of Judgment, #2)
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • Angelblood (Dark Angel, #4)
  • Walking Dead Girl (Vampireland, #1)
  • Ethan (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #0.5)
  • Diary of a Vampeen (Vamp Chronicles, #1)
  • Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #1)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Reveal (Cryptid Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Singers (Blood, #1)
  • Amaranth (Resistance, #1)
  • Zero Hour (Gypsy Brothers, #8)
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
Born in small-town Ontario, K.A. Tucker published her first book at the age of six with the help of her elementary school librarian and a box of crayons.

She currently resides in a quaint town outside of Toronto with her husband, two beautiful girls, and a Chug.
More about K.A. Tucker...

Causal Enchantment (4 books)
  • Asylum (Causal Enchantment, #2)
  • Allegiance (Causal Enchantment, #3)
  • Anomaly (Causal Enchantment, #4)