Start by marking “King Larry: The Life and Ruins of a Billionaire Genius” as Want to Read:
King Larry: The Life and Ruins of a Billionaire Genius

King Larry: The Life and Ruins of a Billionaire Genius

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
From Howard Hughes to Mark Zuckerberg, the public has always been fascinated by genius entrepreneurs who succumb to their eccentricities. Now, James Scurlock engages, educates, and entertains readers with the captivating story of DHL co-founder and billionaire Larry Hillblom.

King Larry begins with an early biography of Larry Lee Hillblom, a mercurial young man who grew up
Published January 10th 2012 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about King Larry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Larry

Carl
May 28, 2012 Carl rated it liked it
This is not a great book, but an interesting book. It could have had more editing to keep it focused on the subject, since there is a lot of extraneous scene and setting about getting the interviews for the book—yes, these guys are unusual, but it wanders off to the point that I was skimming many parts. This often leaves me wondering where we are in the story. Larry Hillblom was an odd character and did a lot of odd things to make a success of DHL. I would have appreciated a little bit more of h ...more
Thuy
Mar 13, 2016 Thuy rated it really liked it
it was very detailed, and explains a lot of history without feeling so much like a history book.

i'm glad Be Lory and his Mom had the sense to put their boost in wealth to good use for their future and their legacy. giving birth under tree alludes to a more cultural symbolism to me, as a vietnamese american, who grew up in a buddhist home, where Sakyamuni himself attained enlightenment while sitting under a tree.

for the rest of the heirs it just shows that more money is not the answer to everyon
Carol
Feb 01, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
I received this as a giveaway from Goodreads First Reads. This is the story of Larry Hillblom who was one of the founders of the DHL company. Based on the extensively researched facts of a somewhat complex (to put it mildly) probate estate that consisted of so many somewhat shaky business deals, a multitude of greedy lawyers, and heirs popping out of the woodwork. that it compels the reader to continue on just to found out how it is finally settled.
Stacy
Oct 25, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
This book was right up my alley as an estate planning attorney who spent a little over a year clerking in the probate court. The nightmare this Estate must have been for everyone involved! The book started slow for me... but once you get to the part where he dies (that should NOT be a spoiler alert moment) the book really takes off.
Sirreene
Oct 29, 2012 Sirreene rated it liked it
I found the book to be interesting. It had information in it of which I was unaware. I would have to fact check for my own personal accuracy as I do not believe anything I read. I found the subject of the book to be quite odd and surprisingly very much unknown.
Robin
Apr 23, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
The almost unbelievable story of the "H" in DHL. It should be a must-read for business school students. Reads like a novel. It would be interesting to learn how DHL survived and thrived in spite of its co-founders.
Kory
Feb 28, 2012 Kory rated it it was amazing
I'm only half way through the told life of Hillbrom. Could I be more fascinated? I want more stories of the such lucked or trifled.
Walter Bush
Jan 21, 2012 Walter Bush rated it liked it
Interesting read about a true character. Larry Hillblom was a true genius, and like many true geniuses, off the charts weird.
Kalle Wescott
Sep 09, 2013 Kalle Wescott rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read. More interesting, even, than the life story of the other King Larry (Ellison).
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Martha Spalding
Martha Spalding is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2016
Viktorija
Viktorija marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Tanti Meylani
Tanti Meylani marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Omar Benaam
Omar Benaam marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Alexis Gerome
Alexis Gerome marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Mtujohn
Mtujohn marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Rk Wild
Rk Wild marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Sana M.
Sana M. marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
FanliMiguel
FanliMiguel marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
LAP
LAP rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 29, 2015
James
James rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Mona Igama
Mona Igama marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
James D. Scurlock studied at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania before dropping out to pursue an entrepreneurial venture and later a documentary film career. His first film, Parents of the Year, won numerous awards and was an official selection of more than twenty-five film festivals. His first feature-length documentary, Maxed Out, explored our culture of debt and wo ...more
More about James D. Scurlock...