Start by marking “King Larry: The Life and Ruins of a Billionaire Genius” as Want to Read:
King Larry: The Life and Ruins of a Billionaire Genius

King Larry: The Life and Ruins of a Billionaire Genius

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From Howard Hughes to Mark Zuckerberg, the public has always been fascinated by genius entrepreneurs who succumb to their eccentricities. Now, James Scurlock engages, educates, and entertains readers with the captivating story of DHL co-founder and billionaire Larry Hillblom.

King Larry begins with an early biography of Larry Lee Hillblom, a mercurial young man who grew up
Published January 10th 2012 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about King Larry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Larry

Carl
This is not a great book, but an interesting book. It could have had more editing to keep it focused on the subject, since there is a lot of extraneous scene and setting about getting the interviews for the book—yes, these guys are unusual, but it wanders off to the point that I was skimming many parts. This often leaves me wondering where we are in the story. Larry Hillblom was an odd character and did a lot of odd things to make a success of DHL. I would have appreciated a little bit more of h ...more
Carol
I received this as a giveaway from Goodreads First Reads. This is the story of Larry Hillblom who was one of the founders of the DHL company. Based on the extensively researched facts of a somewhat complex (to put it mildly) probate estate that consisted of so many somewhat shaky business deals, a multitude of greedy lawyers, and heirs popping out of the woodwork. that it compels the reader to continue on just to found out how it is finally settled.
Stacy
This book was right up my alley as an estate planning attorney who spent a little over a year clerking in the probate court. The nightmare this Estate must have been for everyone involved! The book started slow for me... but once you get to the part where he dies (that should NOT be a spoiler alert moment) the book really takes off.
Sirreene
I found the book to be interesting. It had information in it of which I was unaware. I would have to fact check for my own personal accuracy as I do not believe anything I read. I found the subject of the book to be quite odd and surprisingly very much unknown.
Robin
The almost unbelievable story of the "H" in DHL. It should be a must-read for business school students. Reads like a novel. It would be interesting to learn how DHL survived and thrived in spite of its co-founders.
Kory
I'm only half way through the told life of Hillbrom. Could I be more fascinated? I want more stories of the such lucked or trifled.
Walter Bush
Interesting read about a true character. Larry Hillblom was a true genius, and like many true geniuses, off the charts weird.
Carl Wescott
Fascinating read. More interesting, even, than the life story of the other King Larry (Ellison).
Mohammad Al jamal
Mohammad Al jamal marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Delia
Delia marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Marie Louise
Marie Louise marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Peter Rolfes
Peter Rolfes marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Wade Schultz
Wade Schultz marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Eric Gaymon
Eric Gaymon marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
David Kobussen
David Kobussen marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Eleanor Bene
Eleanor Bene marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Mohamed Fathi
Mohamed Fathi marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Faz
Faz is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
James D. Scurlock studied at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania before dropping out to pursue an entrepreneurial venture and later a documentary film career. His first film, Parents of the Year, won numerous awards and was an official selection of more than twenty-five film festivals. His first feature-length documentary, Maxed Out, explored our culture of debt and wo ...more
More about James D. Scurlock...
Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit, and the Era of Predatory Lenders King Larry: The Life and Ruins of a Billionaire Genius Maxed Out: Hard Times in the Age of Easy Credit Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit and the Era of Predatory Lenders