Start by marking “Tango” as Want to Read:

Tango

Tango lives the good life-a silver charm for his dog collar, a luxurious doggy bed, even tailor-made booties for walks in Central Park. Then, when his owners sail into stormy waters, the little Yorkie goes overboard! Washing up on an island far from home, Tango learns that sometimes it takes getting lost to find what matters most. This wonderfully fresh novel is perfect fo ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tango, please sign up.

RavenWolf6639 well it is about a dog but it has real places and (I guess) some history.

Adam
Mar 04, 2016 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book with a nice ending. There are some loose ends that aren't answered in the epilogue and I have questions about that. I loved every second of this book. I would recommend this to everyone like I do every book.
Syd
May 09, 2011 Syd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dayza Champion
i thought it was a very good book. it was about well let me just go through it.it was a litter of yorkie puppies born fore of them three girls and one boy. the puppies had golden and black fur lethery black noses. there eyes where as dark as pich black darkness. they wher one of sadies finest litters sadie is the moms name. they wher taken away to be sold the girls where all sold on the frist day. but the next morning the boy was sold. the woman was named marcellena and the husbans name was dieg ...more
Jessica
Jul 06, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for a dog story, and this one is delightfully unusual.
Four paws up for this wonderful first-time author who pulled off a
tale of talking animals, with multiple points of view.
Stephanie A.
Is it really animal literature when your animals talk and behave exactly like humans in little fur suits?
Kati Beadle
Oct 14, 2012 Kati Beadle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read TANGO by Eileen Beha. This is a story about a yorkie puppy who got adopted by a rich couple and had lots of charms on his silver and dimond collar. His owners got married and bought a boat to take on their honeymoon. They didn't know it was going to storm. Tango the dog went over board and was washed up onto the shore of some island. It wasn't deserted though it was like a small independent town. A girl found him and saved him and he now lived with a girl named McKenna. McKenna took care ...more
Kelly
Sep 05, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Tarissa
May 23, 2014 Tarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no other word to describe this book except for... ENCHANTING! 'Tango' is the cutest dog's tale (pun intended) that I've read in a looooong time. Maybe since 'Because of Winn-Dixie'.

Once you start reading 'Tango' you may think you're just reading a sugary little story about a Yorkshire Terrier puppy... but you're not. Before you know it, you're intertwined in this dog's life, and you find yourself in a dramatic, sweeping account of love, family, and how one finds true happiness in life.

T
Connor Stubbe
Mar 04, 2013 Connor Stubbe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
This book is Tango and it is an action-adventure. The author is Eileen Beha. This book is the book for you if you like action. It is with animals and they talk to each other. So keep reading and see what adventures are going to happen to Tango.
There is this dog named Tango. And these people see him caught in a lobster trap. Tango has his eye lids frozen shut because of the cold water he was in. Then he feels this nice warm hand handle him and he thinks it is his owner. But when he gets to her
Michelle Isenhoff
Tango: The Tale of an Island Dog is a cute story that will appeal to dog lovers. Tango is a Yorkshire terrier accustomed to the good life. But when he’s swept off his yacht and washed ashore on Prince Edward Island, he finds himself in need of a friend. Fortunately, he finds lots of them. Miss Gustie, with her gruff ways, young McKenna, in need of a family, and Beau, the aging fox. But not all residents of the island are friendly. The gang of cats who live in the Pitiful Place are up to no good, ...more
Maydi
Oct 04, 2011 Maydi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book Tango by Eileen Beha. Tango is a Yorkshire terrier puppy that got took away from his family. Tango never got to know what his mother was going to name him because when Tango’s mom was about to say his name her owner snatched him and his sisters away to be sold. If you want to know how Tango got his name? Read the book. Do you think Tango will ever see his mother again?

In the book Tango by Eileen Beha Tango is a playful puppy. Like when he was still in the pet shop and it looked lik
Oct 24, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this story there are about five main characters that are almost always mentioned. Their names are Tango(lost dog), McKenna(orphan child), Nigel(cat), Beau(old fox), and Augusta(old woman). Tango wants to get back to New York, where he came from before falling off the boat into the water on a stormy night. He does not know how to get back without his identification tag that he lost when he first washed up on the island. He goes on trying to find it and meets new people, like Augusta who nursed ...more
Elly
Sep 28, 2012 Elly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By Eileen Beha
242 Pages

This book is about a yorkie dog who was born on a small farm. The Farmer then sold the dogs to a pet store in Manhatten. A rich couple bought him and named him Tango. When they were on a sailboat in the rough seas Tango gets lost in the ocean. When he washes ashore the island of Victoria by the sea stuck in a lobster trap, a young lady takes him under her wing. She then cares for him and loves him for a long time. When Tango finds that his identification tag is in th
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tango: The Tale of an Island Dog was a middle of the road story at best. Nothing truly great about it, nothing truly awful either. Told from the point of view of several animals on an island in the northern Atlantic, I'd hoped to at least appreciate a new take on a foster/adoption tale, since the human protagonist is a foster child. The writing moved slowly and finishing the book seemed a laborious task. Maybe it comes down to the fact that I have never been a big fan of stories with animals as ...more
Madison Wamboldt
Tango by Eileen Beha is about a Yorkshire terrier named Tango. He lives in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. I love this book so much because all my life I have always wanted a Yorkshire terrier and this book is about one finding its way, figuring out how to get through the bumps in the road.

I like this book because it is in the perspective of how dogs would react or talk, if they could and he gets stuck in a fish net and he was thinking very hard on how he was going to get him self out and he used hi
Brianna
Oct 21, 2012 Brianna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't read Tango The Tale Of An Island Dog. Please don't. It's not as bad as dog lost, but it still isn't worth reading. A dog gets lost (as usual), and his owners don't try to look for him. They think he's dead. Tango then finds a nice family, but has problems with the world. I can't remember if he gets found or not (I think he does) by his real owners, but it isn't good. The title fits it a bit. But at the beginning, a girl is friends with a fox, and it has NOTHING to do with Tango. I feel lik ...more
Alejandro OC
Jul 06, 2012 Alejandro OC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christopher
I'm sure some people would find this dog story adorable, but to me it was somewhat tedious. I'm not a big fan of stories where animals of various species talk to each other. I did find the story well-written and interestingly detailed: Tango's birth, his family, being sold to a rich Manhattan lady, a life of luxury, being lost off the boat in a storm, and his new island life, new friends and a new owner. Characters were vivid, rich and well-developed. I even found myself pitying Tango at his lon ...more
Me73
Mar 26, 2012 Me73 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever
This book is extremely unique. It is very highly recommended for dog lovers. Many unique books usually I don't like or I think it's OK or I just plain like it. But this is one of the best books EVER WRITTEN. It's about Tango, a yorkie who got washed up onto the shores of Prince Edward Island. He befriends a fox, a woman and a girl and fights to get back home to his real owner Marcelina. I won't say more. Get it and read it.
Battle of the Books 2012.
I usually steer away from animal stories, especially ones that sound sad when you read the book jacket. This book, however, skips over scary parts and stays with the story of overcoming. Every character in this book has a sad past, but each one is on a journey. I wish that there was a bit more development of the characters, but it was pretty well done for a children's book.
Erik
Jun 26, 2011 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tango is a decent 'dog' book (of which I'm generally not a big fan). The book reads quickly, with enough action added to the emotional development of the characters (both human and animal) that it keeps moving. I'm having a hard time finding much to say about the book. The growth of Tango is fairly cliche, but many of the other characters really stand out as complete and interesting. Not my favorite of this year's books, but one that could satisfy a wide range of kids.
Sara
Feb 17, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book about 4 years ago, and I loved it! Who doesn't enjoy a story about a cute dog? Back then, I thought it was high-level reading (I was 9) and complex. Which it wasn't...
Looking back, "Tango" was a simple story that was meant for dog-lovers, and if you are a dog-lover (like myself) you will love this easily readable story. The characters aren't complex nor is there much drama, but the book is a quick-read and will leave you smiling.
Enjoy! :D
Ingrid
Tango is Yorkshire Terrier who is living the good life in Manhattan until he is lost at sea and washes up on Prince Edward Island. He wants desperately to find his way back to his old life. This book has two stories, Tango's relationship to the people who take him in and then with the other animals on the island. There is the wise old fox and a group of mean cats. These two stories come together to make Tango realize how much he is needed on the island. A sweet dog story.
Beanbun
Nov 04, 2015 Beanbun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a wonderful book.
I don't want to spoil the book, but it was a Dog living the exotic life in New York. He has a lovely life until his family goes on a trip on the husband's new boat. Then, they go into a storm. Tango, the dog goes overboard. Will he live?
This is a must read book.
It's perfect for all ages.
Lynda
Jan 24, 2016 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
This was a cute story about Tango who is adopted by a rich woman and her fiance. He leads a very pampered life until a storm develops on their sailboat and Tango is tossed overboard. He makes new friends on a Nova Scotia island, including both human and other animals and must choose between the old and the new life.
Corky
Apr 27, 2010 Corky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
OK so I know this title was recommended for ages 7-11 but it had a picture of the cutest Yorkie on the front that it was calling my name!
What a cute story of a very brave pup named Tango who found his true home.

Maya took this right out of my hands when I was done with it! i add her opinion when she has finished with it!
Amy
Oct 16, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books, audio
Tango is a Yorkshire Terrier who falls off of a pleasure boat during a storm and is washed ashore miles away from home. Will he ever make it back to Manhattan or will he found a new home in Canada? A foster girl, a retired teacher and a wise fox befriend Tango. A nice story for kids who want to read about a dog -- and it has a satisfying ending.
Melissa
I have a new goal to read all of the Sasquatch award nominees for 2012. These are all books I sell at the Book Fair I help run at my daughter's school, and the have a library goal for the kids to read at least 3 of these books so they can vote online for their favorites. It is a lot of fun to discuss these books and then try to figure out who we may vote for.
Bianca
Aug 28, 2011 Bianca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love this book!! tango is so adorable and has quite a lot of courage for one so small. i'm a big fan of dogs and especially yorkies!! i can't wait to get the chance to read more of Eileen Beha's books!!
Makaya
Feb 01, 2011 Makaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great its about a dog that is in the water. He tries to escape all different types of traps. Like lobster traps.but it is freezing cold. Will someone ever find him read the book to find out.
  • Bulldog Won't Budge (Pet Trouble, #4)
  • Perfect Game
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • Waggit's Tale
  • Wild River
  • Everything for a Dog
  • Finding Danny
  • News for Dogs
  • Missing on Superstition Mountain (Missing on Superstition Mountain, #1)
  • The Leanin' Dog
  • Seaglass Summer
  • Dogmagic (Animalmagic, #2)
  • The Other Half of My Heart
  • The Return (Dogs of the Drowned City, #3)
  • One Dog and His Boy
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • Storm Warning (Dog Whisperer, #2)
  • Long Shot (Comeback Kids)
Eileen Beha is the author of Tango: The Tale of an Island Dog (Bloomsbury, 2009), which was inspired by her love of animals and summers on Prince Edward Island. A former middle school principal, Eileen received an MFA in creative writing from Hamline University, also studying with Kate DiCamillo and Jane Resh Thomas. She lives in Minneapolis and Miami with her husband and their two dogs, Tango and ...more
More about Eileen Beha...