Start by marking “The Runaway Dolls” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Dolls

The Runaway Dolls (Doll People #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,703 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
Best friends Annabelle Doll and Tiffany Funcraft have stumbled upon an unexpected visitor, a new doll named Tilly May. She arrived in a mysterious package . . . but she looks so familiar. Could she be Annabelle's long-lost baby sister? It'll take a runaway adventure to find out for sure. Are the dolls ready for life on the road?
Ann M. Martin and Laura Godwin bring us the
Audio CD
Published October 14th 2008 by Listening Library (first published October 7th 2008)

Kathryn
I checked this out on a whim from the library—it had been languishing on my virtual TBR shelf for ages and when I found out the library had a copy on audiobook (and that the length perfectly coincided with my remaining commute hours before summer break), I snatched it up eagerly. I was enchanted within seconds—literally! The little intro music was so perfect—whimsical and fun and magical—and the moment Lynn Redgrave began her delightful narration I just let out a blissful sigh—it was like listen ...more
Ann
This is the third book in the series and I have loved each one immensely! I appreciate the thoughtfulness and detail that goes into the rules of the doll world, as well as how the world would appear to be from a doll's perspective. The plots are intriguing and sparks the interest of the part of me that would love to be ten years old again and create doll worlds in the bushes and trees.

I have listened to the audiobooks, and I think Redgrave has such a perfect voice for these books! She can take
Tabitha Marian
Feb 11, 2016 Tabitha Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Lovely book! :) I have it here, and it's a pleasure to read. One of my favorites. Very well written!
Eva Mitnick
Oct 20, 2008 Eva Mitnick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
When I was a child, I was quite certain that all my dolls and stuffed animals possessed a Rich Inner Life, and even now when I go up to the attic to haul down holiday trappings, I could swear that my daughters’ old Barbies, baby dolls, and stuffed animals are sending me reproachful vibes from their plastic storage bins.

Perhaps this is why I’ve always been drawn to books about dolls, and not just any doll books, oh no. In my favorite books, the dolls walk, talk, and in general lead much more inte
Goldilocks Reads (Jenna Vahue)
Although my copy of The Meanest Doll in the World is waiting on library reserve, I had to read Runaway Dolls as my sequel to The Doll People.

As far as sequels go, it wasn't too bad. The book started off with a slow start but it eventually kicked off. What always made me laugh was the Doll Family's youngest member, Baby Betsy, was ordered from the wrong doll catalog and was bigger than all the other dolls. In this installment, the right baby doll Matilda May is delivered to the Palmer family one
 Marla
3.5 stars. Fun story that reminded me of Toy Story 2. I don't like the young dolls running away from home, but it was amazingly believable. Annabelle is too impulsive for my taste in heroines but she has a good heart.

Likes:
* Annabelle's green hair
* Brian Selznick's illustrations were amazing
* Doll oath
* Aunt Sarah is the coolest adult doll
(view spoiler)
Kelsiebowler
Nov 11, 2015 Kelsiebowler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Kelsie Bowler

Goodreads Review Practice

The Runaway Dolls-Ann M. Martin

The story takes place in America. The main characters are Mama Doll, Papa Doll, Auntie Sarah, Annabelle Doll, Nany, Boby Doll, Baby Betsy, Tiffany Funcraft, Uncle Doll, Tilly Doll, Bailey Funcraft and Grandma Katherine. The minor characters are Kate, Nora, and the Captain. Kate's family goes on a vacation for 2 weeks. The dolls are really happy that they can move around all they want since they won't be home. Annabelle Doll and
Mackenzie H.
323 pages
fantasy

Friends forever, two dolls Tiffany Funcraft and Annabelle Doll find a package. They wonder what it's for, and more importantly what lay inside. Really the package is a hundred year old box that never got delivered to the Palmer's home. The dolls open the package with pure excitement and curiosity to find yet another doll! Matilda May, or Tilly is now Annabelle's "sister", but when the rest of the family meets Tilly, they are not so sure. Set out to prove her ways right, Tilly and
Kristin
Jan 29, 2015 Kristin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-miya
Boo! The trilogy is over.

I enjoyed it through the last page. Last book's adventure to the schoolhouse pales in comparison to the dangers the dolls face lost in the woods and captured in a department store. Just like the last volume, entering the doll perspective is fun. What do dolls do when their owners go on vacation for two weeks? What would it be like in a toy store after hours, when all the dolls can come alive? You'll have to read to find out Martin and Godwin's conjectures!

In this volume
Nicole
Oct 30, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians in search of a "safe read" recommendation
Except for a brief moment of doll feminism (wait a second, girl dolls can do anything boy dolls can do!) this story follows very closely in the steps of traditional doll stories. Love them or hate them, doll stories are here to stay.

Personally, I love them. What's creepier and more fascinating than the thought of your dolls coming alive when you're not there and acting like real little people? What better way to introduce colonialism to children? The ruling elite deny the "savages" agency, adul
Charlyn
Sep 18, 2009 Charlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gr.3 and up
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, magic
Brian Selznick opens this books with the same kind of storytelling pictures used in Hugo Cabret. The reader sees a package lost 100 years ago in a doll factory found. The package arrives at the Palmer's home, but sits unopened because it isn't addressed to the Palmers and the family is leaving on vacation. Annabelle Doll and her friend Tiffany are intrigued and decide to investigate the strange package. When Annabelle hears a tiny voice inside, she knows she has to release the doll inside. Annab ...more
Beatrice
Sep 23, 2015 Beatrice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Runaway Dolls by Ann M. Martin was an okay book. Annabelle Doll, Tiffany Funcraft, and her friends are living dolls that can't be seen moving by human beings. If they were they'd be put into a thing called doll state, which would make the doll in this state unable to move for a certain amount of time, or even forever. The situation that they were put into made the book somewhat stressful because of how they got out of things, and how easy it was. But the author made a great job putting the d ...more
Jamie
Aug 17, 2016 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why this children's book survived SEVERAL purges over the last few years is beyond me. I think it's because it is illustrated by the great Brian Selznick, who won the 2008 Caldecott Medal for 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret', a book I bought in 2011 at Shakespeare and Company in Paris.

Little did I know this book was actually the third in a series. The dust jacket is missing, so I had no way of knowing what the story was about before I began. It's basically 'Toy Story'. A quick read with fantastic
Maia
Nov 17, 2011 Maia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The dolls strike again(a third time)! This time they are running away from home with their new doll friend Matilda May (Tilly May)who is only three years old and was stuck in a box her whole like listening to tapes and the radio while stuck behind a bookshelf. She knows nothing about the life Annabelle and Tiffany live inside and out of their doll house. Will they ever get home?
Lisa Maddock
Jan 12, 2010 Lisa Maddock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like these books, have read them all. The concept of dolls coming to life when humans are not around, and the consequences of being seen/caught - very creative and ingenius and what wonderful illustrations! Highly recomended.
Christine
I thought this was a bit long in places, but the illustrations are great, and the character of Tilly added some humor. Overall, enjoyable. We listened to some of the audiobook, as well.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 Stars
Maya
Jan 14, 2009 Maya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the third book of the doll people series and it is really good.
Hayden
Dec 08, 2012 Hayden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome
Anam
Jan 03, 2017 Anam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mrs. Jerger
This book was just awesome to read! Overall, I thought this book was very adventurous and suspenseful. There were many parts where you would be like,"Oh no, what's going to happen next?" I really enjoyed reading this book and could read it over and over again.
There are many characters, and most are obviously dolls. One in particular, has a very loving personality. Others, care and protect each other. The rest of it is for you to read! I hope you enjoy!
Seobin  Baeg
I loved the drawings by Brian Selznick as well as the fact that the authors included the main character's little brothers. I also liked the fact that they ended up in a busy commercial center surrounded by other varieties of dolls. Personally, this book was my favorite of the series(not including the 4th book, I never got the chance to read it... hope to do it soon)...
Lori Gibbany
May 09, 2017 Lori Gibbany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great children's book with many wonderful lessons in it
Emily
Nov 07, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thaught it was amazing
Yna Fempia Paez
Mar 20, 2017 Yna Fempia Paez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s quite ironic how the doll’s name is Annabelle.

Other than that, this has been the cutest story I’ve read as of this year. Why are books like this hard to find in my country I always ask. I do hope to find a copy of the other parts of this book.

Like I said, extremely adorable characters and story. I was not the least annoyed by it which is a lot coming from me.
Ellen
Mar 13, 2017 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I don't like this one quite as much as I did the other two, the books remain magical in their whimsy. This book sends the younger dolls on an adventure to save a long-lost member of the family. For one hundred years, a too-big baby from the wrong doll set has lived with the Doll family. Could the baby that was meant for their set still be out there? What would the Dolls risk for family?

This book also calls to mind shades of Toy Story once again, but there is a freshness to the tale that
Jenn
Jan 10, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in the Doll People series and was as good as the other two! Although, I must say, it reminded me a LOT of Toy Story this time.

The book starts out with some great illustrations again of a long, lost package being delivered to Annabelle & Tiffany's humans, which they leave unopened until they get back from their vacation in two weeks.
description
The Dolls & Funcrafts are excited to have their own vacation and run of the house (luckily, The Captain is locked up in the laundry roo
Kate
It has some cliff hangers you will not want to stop on if you like playing with dolls and think they come alive every time you are fast asleep. Well this story will convince you that they do and be sure to read the first and second books they are also very good do not forget to rate it I know you will love them.
Mackenzie
Sep 15, 2016 Mackenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished reading the book, "The Runaway Dolls" by Ann M. Martin. Two girls, Kate and Nora, have some dolls. While they are on vacation, the dolls get themselves into some "trouble". While Kate, Nora, and their family are on vacation, Annabelle Doll and Tiffany Funcraft decide to have some fun by going downstairs. While they are downstairs, they find a box and discover that Annabelle's long, lost, little sister, Tilly May, is in the box. Annabelle asks her mom if she can take her litt ...more
Annette
Sep 29, 2014 Annette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-literature
Elizabeth
Sep 25, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, realistic
The Runaway Dolls is the best Doll People book so far—miles better than The Meanest Doll in the World and even better than the original The Doll People, at least in my opinion. For one thing, it’s much longer, so a lot more time can be devoted to development of characters and world. For another, it gets Annabelle and Tiffany out of the Palmer’s house and into some new adventures. It’s the most Toy Story-ish of all the Doll People books so far, too.

While Annabelle has some frustrating moments in
  • Lake Rescue (Beacon Street Girls, #6)
  • Mr. Putter  Tabby Clear the Decks
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Chicken Feathers
  • Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #3)
  • Our Strange New Land (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #1)
  • The Not-Just-Anybody Family (Blossom Family, #1)
  • Falling In
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • Elvis  Olive
  • The Somebodies
  • Keeping Score
  • The Unmapped Sea (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #5)
  • Rule of Three

More about Ann M. Martin...

Doll People (4 books)
  • The Doll People (Doll People, #1)
  • The Meanest Doll in the World (Doll People, #2)
  • The Doll People Set Sail (Doll People, #4)