Huntress (Grace Murphy, #1)

Huntress (Grace Murphy #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  53 reviews
"Fate is an ugly bitch who will screw with your life every single chance she gets."

Grace Murphy, a newly single mother finds this out as she's trying to figure out how to lead a perfectly normal life. The big question becomes, what do you do when you find out that your mother is Diana, the Goddess of the Hunt and she expects you to take up the family business?

You can try...more
Published May 22nd 2011

Roxanne
I gathered my backbone and muttered, “Just my luck, the only gorgeous man I’ve met in ages and he’s a house breaker.” Then I declared more loudly, “So you have a choice. You can leave quietly or I can call the police after I wang you with my stapler.”
“After you wang with me with the stapler?” I could see his lips twitching as if holding in his laughter.

4.5 Stars

Omg I LOVED this book. I found it only yesterday and by accident and I'm so glad I did. I read it in one sitting and couldn't put it do...more
x.melancholy.x
I love Grace! Finally there is a heroine that I can relate too. Graces flaws make her totally believable screw the rest of them with their flimsy capes, fur or fangs this is the type of hero I want to read about.

Huntress is a thoroughly entertaining read, fast paced and with some wonderful plot twists. The banter between Grace and other characters (especially Dylan) often made me laugh out loud.

I will admit that when I first realised that this story contained ancient mythological characters I w...more
Stacy
First of all, I need to say that I got a review copy of this book for free from BookRooster.com. I'm glad I did, for positive as well as negative reasons, all of which I'll get to.

Huntress is the introduction to Grace Murphy, a romance writer who, on the day her divorce is final, meets her biological mother, the goddess Diana. Grace is the snarky mother of an 11-year-old boy, with whom she seems to have a very loving, trusting relationship. She shares custody of her son with her husband, who ha...more
Rachael
Ohhhh I'm so happy, sooo very very happy! I have found a funny funny witty sarcastic kick-ass female heroine and single parent to boot *gasp* catching my breath :) I. Loved. Every. Moment. Grace and her sons relationship is so fricking funny and adorable. Every character was brilliant....read it read it read it :) I LOVE FUNNY.
Dan
Oct 11, 2011 Dan marked it as first-chapter-only  ·  review of another edition
Something was wrong with the narrative of this book. I'm not sure what -- it felt a little colloquial, it felt like it was missing some commas, it spent too much time explaining things that didn't seem to matter to the plot.

As to the plot, we saw a prologue scene indicating it was eventually going to be One Woman's Battle Against Dimensional Invaders While Trying To Lead A Normal Life, but for the first three chapters it was just One Woman Bumbling About Trying To Find The Plot.

Based on the Kind...more
Shellie Brewer
I am loving this book so much...One of my favorite books so far this year. It was a free book from Amazon and loved the cover and took a chance and just loved it now buying the second book...
Lincoln Rodman
I read "Huntress" on the recommendation of a friend. I spent the $2.99 to download "Huntress" by Nicole Hamlett on Amazon.com and upon completing the book, complained to my friend that her tastes in literature had taken a nosedive. When I stated to her that "Huntress" by Nicole Hamlett was not a terribly good read, my friend laughed at me on the phone for about five minutes and then said I was supposed to read "Huntress" by Malindo Lo, which she swears is a very good book.

I did not read "Huntres...more
Cassandra
So, I bought this book for pretty cheap thinking that I could start it and just read when I took breaks here and there over the weekend.

And...yeah. Nobody bothered to tell me that I wouldn't be able to put it down, that I would keep the hubs awake with my laughing or that I would have serious bags under my eyes from reading too much and not snoozing enough.

This is one of the best books I've ever read! I'm sure you get the gist of it from all the other reviews so I won't bore you with the same...more
Misterg
I got this as a Kindle freebie - and it is fantastic. It's one of those books that your Significant Other can't wait for you to finish... just so you stop reading passages to them!
The book description gives the plot a good summary, but no where near indicates the level of humour. For instance, how can you have thoughts about someone when they can read minds? And how do you tell your son that you are actually some sort of superhuman?

One minor problem. I think I'm going to have to look for the nex...more
Francesca Zane
Pure crap. Seemed like someone's creative writing class project. I couldn't finish it.
Cat
At first I didn't like this book because the protagonist is whiney and wallows in her own self pity. However, this book is about her metamorphosis into an independent and somewhat confident woman. Although I felt the story stagnated at times, overall it was a good read and I enjoyed the "new" version of Grace.

Besides the main character, the story mainly focuses on her son Dylan and Adonis (aka Drew). Her son is an unknown age, at times seeming to be about 6 to being referred to as "almost a teen...more
Megan
Really, really enjoyed this start to a new series by a new author.

Grace is a thirty four year old, somewhat out of shape and very overwhelmed recent divorcee with a son whose life is totally changed by discovering she is the daughter of Diana the Huntress (from Greek mythology).

The book is extremely strong in character development. I loved Grace, son Dylan, and others. It also is extremely funny...it has the same madcap edge as the Stephanie Plum or Betsy the Vampire series. Rapid dialog and a...more
Adam Shields
Short review: This is sort of an adult version of Percy Jackson mixed with a bit of Michael Scott. Grace is told by her mother (the Godess Diana) that she is not really human and is in great danger. So now Grace has to leave her job as a Romance author (and geek) to train to defend herself and her son. It is a fun light read (I read it on vacation). I will probably read the next.

My full review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/huntress-a-grace-mur...
Tanya
I loved this sci fi novel! Had alot of fantasy but at the same time you coud identify with the charecters. This story is about a newly divorced & single mother who is trying to figure things out. She is also a writer & at the age of 34, discovers that she is not so normal.
Mamma
Sitting down with Grace Murphy is like hanging out with an old friend. She inspires me. She is a regular person with all kinds of insecurities, but she deals with them. AND kicks some supernatural tush. Looking forward to starting the sequel tonight.
Anna
Loved this book. Grace is so human. I enjoyed watching her grow through the storyline. Definetly has a place on my re-read often shelf.
Kriss
review of series coming on cabingoddess.com ((pssssst loving this!))
Gary
Huntress (Grace Murphy #1) is the perfect example of the type I like to read. From the moment I started reading I couldn't put it down. When I finished this one I immediately went to see if they were anymore in the series as this was subtitled: Grace Murphy Novel #1. I was rewarded in my diligence.

Huntress it’s the perfect balance of action, adventure, and character development. I like how she uses mythology as a backdrop for character development. If the next one is just as good as this one Gra...more
Barbara
An action packed, fun story with characters based on Greek mythology, The Huntress was a great adventure with a lot of humor and a very human, relatable heroine. Grace Murphy, a newly divorced single mother learns that her mother is Diana, the Goddess of the Hunt (who is really a being from another dimension) and that she needs to train to get ready to help save the world from other beings that are trying to wreak havoc on it. She’s sent a trainer that goes by the name of Drew (his real name is...more
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books
Check out the book tour for book 3, Volcanoes
You can find my book tour post by clicking the banner.

I really enjoyed this book, its like a mix of the Stephanie Plum humor with the Night Huntress except she is not a Vampire. She is something else, will leave that for you to discover, as Grace is a bit special. We have some Greek Mythology thrown in as well. It was very interesting mix, and enjoyable too. I am picking up book two as soon as I finish writing this, and read it right away.

I liked the...more
Kay
I will sum up my reading experience with this piece by quoting an actual line from the novel itself: "Oww Fwuck"

Yes, gentle readers, I have suffered through "Huntress" so that you may be spared. Be forewarned because there will be spoilers galore within this review.

"Huntress" is less of a novel and more of a diary of wish fulfillment fantasies, despite the constant sighing and pining for a normal life from the protagonist, Grace Murphy. During the prologue, the reader can get a good handle on wh...more
Eperdu
I really loved this book--way more than I anticipated.

From my Amazon review:

I received this book when it was free and I would have happily paid for it. I did enjoy the book quite a bit and I've read some of the reviews about what people thought of it and while I can understand what they were saying I do think it was a solid effort.

I've read a lot of books in this genre, some from well-known writers that are well loved that I didn't enjoy as much as this.

Is it thin in spots? Sure it is. Does it...more
Mary Grace
Grace Murphy is a successful romance writer living a peaceful suburban life with her kid Dylan. Being a stay at home mom, Grace manages to work at take care of her son until the day she met Diana. As the story goes, Diana abandoned Grace when she was a child so don't expect her to be chummy chummy with mom but that doesn't stop Dianna from pestering Grace until she understands why the sudden visitation.

The opening alone will get you hooked and it was a fat read. I didn't feel any informational d...more
Kyra Dunst
This was an enjoyable adventure with a pinch of romance. Grace is a frumpy divorcee, trying to cope with her new single status while raising her son. She thinks her life is finally looking up, but then her birth mom shows up and surprise! She now has creatures gunning for her, and a hot guy staying with her to teach her how to cope. Only problem is, all she wants is things to go back to normal. I would read more from this author.
Jennifer Erwin
I really enjoyed this book. I am a sucker for stories revolving around mythology, and this one was great. Grace is a single mom, newly divorced when she finds out she is the daughter of Diana. She is a romance writer, and she has a lovely snarky, sarcastic sense of humor that I just adore in a main female lead. I can't wait to see where the story goes in the next book.
Stephanie Collins
I received a copy of this via Book Rooster but I would have paid for this book. Although I did take a bit to get completely drawn in to the book due to the initial whininess of Grace, I did ultimately enjoy the world created and the characters that inhabit it. Grace starts off the book in the middle of a pity party but when push comes to shove she does get her act together and make some real changes in her life. I really liked Drew and his ability to keep her on edge both mentally and physically...more
Yasmeen (Yaz)
Great story filled with action and humour, that actually had me laughing out loud in some places. Would recommend and can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series.
Marie C
4.5 rating

I'd had this book on my radar for some time, but hadn't gotten around to buying it. Well, lo and behold! it was free. But Life sometimes gets in the way, not to mention a whole queue of other books I haven't read yet. But I finally got to it and I was not let down.

Grace is a great heroine. She's reflective, funny and can kick ass (though, there wasn't a whole lot of it yet; I'm running under the assumption here). I think I would have the same reactions she did to major revelations (whi...more
Ann Todd
I love this story i laugh so hard. Love her way to look a life love her Character. Thank you.
Reading on Google + Hangout 2 12 Feb 27, 2012 03:22PM
Q&A with Nico...: Grace is a Whiny So and So 4 15 Feb 14, 2012 08:55AM
  • Imp Forsaken (Imp, #5)
  • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Niki Slobodian, #1)
  • Dragon Blues
  • The Arrival (BirthRight Trilogy, #1)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Death's Hand (Descent, #1)
  • Rook
  • Firecracker
  • Intrigue (Night Muse #1)
  • Blood Wager (Blood Destiny, #1)
  • Beyond Hades (The Prometheus Wars, #1)
  • Blood Faerie (Caledonia Fae, #1)
  • Dark Waters (A Celtic Legacy, Book 1)
  • Xander's Chance (Damian Eternal, #1)
  • Alaskan Fire (Guardians of the First Realm, #1)
  • Dimension Shifter (Dimensions Saga #1)
  • Demon Lord (Demon Lord, #1)
Rifts (Grace Murphy, #2) Volcanoes  (Grace Murphy, #3) Catalyst (Grace Murphy, #3.5)

“Did I say stab of Self Pity? No, I was trekking through the Swamp of Self Pity at this point, waist deep in my own stinking shit.” 7 likes
“Swinging the door open, I took a sip. All of the coffee in the world wouldn't help if more visitors showed up at my door this early in the morning but the caffeine fortification was a bonus. The delivery guy pushed his clipboard at me. I held up my cup and raided my eyebrows.
We had an entire conversation in the next seven seconds with our eyes and eyebrows.
I told him that I wasn't giving up my coffee for his delivery. He told me that if I'd just sign on the damned dotted line he would get the hell out of here.
I replied in turn that if he'd hold the clipboard instead of shoving it at me (I threw in a nod here for good measure), I'd sign the damned line.
He finally sighed, turned the clipboard around and held the pen out.
I braced the door with my hip, grabbed the pen and scrawled Wilma Flinstone on the paper.”
6 likes