Start by marking “Huntress (Grace Murphy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Huntress (Grace Murphy, #1)

Huntress (Grace Murphy #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  494 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
"Fate is an ugly bitch who will screw with your life every single chance she gets."

Grace Murphy, a newly single mother finds this out as she's trying to figure out how to lead a perfectly normal life. The big question becomes, what do you do when you find out that your mother is Diana, the Goddess of the Hunt and she expects you to take up the family business?

You can try
Published May 22nd 2011

To ask other readers questions about Huntress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Huntress

Roxanne
Mar 19, 2012 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gathered my backbone and muttered, “Just my luck, the only gorgeous man I’ve met in ages and he’s a house breaker.” Then I declared more loudly, “So you have a choice. You can leave quietly or I can call the police after I wang you with my stapler.”
“After you wang with me with the stapler?” I could see his lips twitching as if holding in his laughter.

4.5 Stars

Omg I LOVED this book. I found it only yesterday and by accident and I'm so glad I did. I read it in one sitting and couldn't put it do
x.melancholy.x
Feb 14, 2012 x.melancholy.x rated it it was amazing
I love Grace! Finally there is a heroine that I can relate too. Graces flaws make her totally believable screw the rest of them with their flimsy capes, fur or fangs this is the type of hero I want to read about.

Huntress is a thoroughly entertaining read, fast paced and with some wonderful plot twists. The banter between Grace and other characters (especially Dylan) often made me laugh out loud.

I will admit that when I first realised that this story contained ancient mythological characters I w
Stacy
Jun 26, 2011 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, book-rooster
First of all, I need to say that I got a review copy of this book for free from BookRooster.com. I'm glad I did, for positive as well as negative reasons, all of which I'll get to.

Huntress is the introduction to Grace Murphy, a romance writer who, on the day her divorce is final, meets her biological mother, the goddess Diana. Grace is the snarky mother of an 11-year-old boy, with whom she seems to have a very loving, trusting relationship. She shares custody of her son with her husband, who ha
Rachael
Ohhhh I'm so happy, sooo very very happy! I have found a funny funny witty sarcastic kick-ass female heroine and single parent to boot *gasp* catching my breath :) I. Loved. Every. Moment. Grace and her sons relationship is so fricking funny and adorable. Every character was brilliant....read it read it read it :) I LOVE FUNNY.
Dan
Oct 11, 2011 Dan marked it as first-chapter-only  ·  review of another edition
Something was wrong with the narrative of this book. I'm not sure what -- it felt a little colloquial, it felt like it was missing some commas, it spent too much time explaining things that didn't seem to matter to the plot.

As to the plot, we saw a prologue scene indicating it was eventually going to be One Woman's Battle Against Dimensional Invaders While Trying To Lead A Normal Life, but for the first three chapters it was just One Woman Bumbling About Trying To Find The Plot.

Based on the Kind
Shellie Brewer
Mar 02, 2012 Shellie Brewer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books-read
I am loving this book so much...One of my favorite books so far this year. It was a free book from Amazon and loved the cover and took a chance and just loved it now buying the second book...
Lincoln Rodman
Jul 14, 2012 Lincoln Rodman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read "Huntress" on the recommendation of a friend. I spent the $2.99 to download "Huntress" by Nicole Hamlett on Amazon.com and upon completing the book, complained to my friend that her tastes in literature had taken a nosedive. When I stated to her that "Huntress" by Nicole Hamlett was not a terribly good read, my friend laughed at me on the phone for about five minutes and then said I was supposed to read "Huntress" by Malindo Lo, which she swears is a very good book.

I did not read "Huntres
Cassandra
So, I bought this book for pretty cheap thinking that I could start it and just read when I took breaks here and there over the weekend.

And...yeah. Nobody bothered to tell me that I wouldn't be able to put it down, that I would keep the hubs awake with my laughing or that I would have serious bags under my eyes from reading too much and not snoozing enough.

This is one of the best books I've ever read! I'm sure you get the gist of it from all the other reviews so I won't bore you with the same
Misterg
Jan 26, 2012 Misterg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a Kindle freebie - and it is fantastic. It's one of those books that your Significant Other can't wait for you to finish... just so you stop reading passages to them!
The book description gives the plot a good summary, but no where near indicates the level of humour. For instance, how can you have thoughts about someone when they can read minds? And how do you tell your son that you are actually some sort of superhuman?

One minor problem. I think I'm going to have to look for the nex
Francesca Zane
Jan 12, 2012 Francesca Zane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pure crap. Seemed like someone's creative writing class project. I couldn't finish it.
Cat
Mar 05, 2012 Cat rated it liked it
At first I didn't like this book because the protagonist is whiney and wallows in her own self pity. However, this book is about her metamorphosis into an independent and somewhat confident woman. Although I felt the story stagnated at times, overall it was a good read and I enjoyed the "new" version of Grace.

Besides the main character, the story mainly focuses on her son Dylan and Adonis (aka Drew). Her son is an unknown age, at times seeming to be about 6 to being referred to as "almost a teen
Megan
Sep 15, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really, really enjoyed this start to a new series by a new author.

Grace is a thirty four year old, somewhat out of shape and very overwhelmed recent divorcee with a son whose life is totally changed by discovering she is the daughter of Diana the Huntress (from Greek mythology).

The book is extremely strong in character development. I loved Grace, son Dylan, and others. It also is extremely funny...it has the same madcap edge as the Stephanie Plum or Betsy the Vampire series. Rapid dialog and a
Adam Shields
Short review: This is sort of an adult version of Percy Jackson mixed with a bit of Michael Scott. Grace is told by her mother (the Godess Diana) that she is not really human and is in great danger. So now Grace has to leave her job as a Romance author (and geek) to train to defend herself and her son. It is a fun light read (I read it on vacation). I will probably read the next.

My full review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/huntress-a-grace-mur...
Tania
Jun 05, 2012 Tania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this sci fi novel! Had alot of fantasy but at the same time you coud identify with the charecters. This story is about a newly divorced & single mother who is trying to figure things out. She is also a writer & at the age of 34, discovers that she is not so normal.
Mamma
Jan 02, 2012 Mamma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sitting down with Grace Murphy is like hanging out with an old friend. She inspires me. She is a regular person with all kinds of insecurities, but she deals with them. AND kicks some supernatural tush. Looking forward to starting the sequel tonight.
Anna
Sep 28, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Grace is so human. I enjoyed watching her grow through the storyline. Definetly has a place on my re-read often shelf.
Abigail
Nov 23, 2012 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tour-books
review of series coming on cabingoddess.com ((pssssst loving this!))
Gary
Jun 09, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own, 2012
Huntress (Grace Murphy #1) is the perfect example of the type I like to read. From the moment I started reading I couldn't put it down. When I finished this one I immediately went to see if they were anymore in the series as this was subtitled: Grace Murphy Novel #1. I was rewarded in my diligence.

Huntress it’s the perfect balance of action, adventure, and character development. I like how she uses mythology as a backdrop for character development. If the next one is just as good as this one Gra
Barbara
Jun 28, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An action packed, fun story with characters based on Greek mythology, The Huntress was a great adventure with a lot of humor and a very human, relatable heroine. Grace Murphy, a newly divorced single mother learns that her mother is Diana, the Goddess of the Hunt (who is really a being from another dimension) and that she needs to train to get ready to help save the world from other beings that are trying to wreak havoc on it. She’s sent a trainer that goes by the name of Drew (his real name is ...more
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books
Check out the book tour for book 3, Volcanoes
You can find my book tour post by clicking the banner.

I really enjoyed this book, its like a mix of the Stephanie Plum humor with the Night Huntress except she is not a Vampire. She is something else, will leave that for you to discover, as Grace is a bit special. We have some Greek Mythology thrown in as well. It was very interesting mix, and enjoyable too. I am picking up book two as soon as I finish writing this, and read it right away.

I liked the
Kay
Jul 14, 2012 Kay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will sum up my reading experience with this piece by quoting an actual line from the novel itself: "Oww Fwuck"

Yes, gentle readers, I have suffered through "Huntress" so that you may be spared. Be forewarned because there will be spoilers galore within this review.

"Huntress" is less of a novel and more of a diary of wish fulfillment fantasies, despite the constant sighing and pining for a normal life from the protagonist, Grace Murphy. During the prologue, the reader can get a good handle on wh
Eperdu
Sep 11, 2013 Eperdu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I really loved this book--way more than I anticipated.

From my Amazon review:

I received this book when it was free and I would have happily paid for it. I did enjoy the book quite a bit and I've read some of the reviews about what people thought of it and while I can understand what they were saying I do think it was a solid effort.

I've read a lot of books in this genre, some from well-known writers that are well loved that I didn't enjoy as much as this.

Is it thin in spots? Sure it is. Does it
Mary Grace
Dec 31, 2012 Mary Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace Murphy is a successful romance writer living a peaceful suburban life with her kid Dylan. Being a stay at home mom, Grace manages to work at take care of her son until the day she met Diana. As the story goes, Diana abandoned Grace when she was a child so don't expect her to be chummy chummy with mom but that doesn't stop Dianna from pestering Grace until she understands why the sudden visitation.

The opening alone will get you hooked and it was a fat read. I didn't feel any informational d
Kyra Dunst
Jan 31, 2014 Kyra Dunst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable adventure with a pinch of romance. Grace is a frumpy divorcee, trying to cope with her new single status while raising her son. She thinks her life is finally looking up, but then her birth mom shows up and surprise! She now has creatures gunning for her, and a hot guy staying with her to teach her how to cope. Only problem is, all she wants is things to go back to normal. I would read more from this author.
Jennifer Erwin
Jul 25, 2014 Jennifer Erwin rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I am a sucker for stories revolving around mythology, and this one was great. Grace is a single mom, newly divorced when she finds out she is the daughter of Diana. She is a romance writer, and she has a lovely snarky, sarcastic sense of humor that I just adore in a main female lead. I can't wait to see where the story goes in the next book.
Diane ~Firefly~
Dec 13, 2015 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it really liked it
Really good start to a series. Grace is a newly divorced mother who finds out she is the daughter of Diana and will be a huntress to protect the Earth. As Grace is out of shape, she sends someone to be her trainer/helper and then things get really crazy. Grace is pretty stubborn and has a great relationship with her son. I'm looking forward to reading the next one.
Stephanie Collins
Jun 24, 2011 Stephanie Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this via Book Rooster but I would have paid for this book. Although I did take a bit to get completely drawn in to the book due to the initial whininess of Grace, I did ultimately enjoy the world created and the characters that inhabit it. Grace starts off the book in the middle of a pity party but when push comes to shove she does get her act together and make some real changes in her life. I really liked Drew and his ability to keep her on edge both mentally and physically ...more
Tara Allen
Jul 17, 2016 Tara Allen rated it really liked it
Overall a very fun read.

I enjoyed it and will be picking up the rest.

I have a couple of minor beefs, but the services of a good editor would fix them right up.

By far one of the best self-pubbed books I've ever seen on Amazon.
Michele
Mar 22, 2015 Michele rated it it was amazing
Cool book

This book was everything I could hope for in an adventure book. Female hero, clueless in the beginning goes on to kick ass... Yup just my style of book. Loved it!.
Reading on Google + Hangout 2 12 Feb 27, 2012 03:22PM
Q&A with Nicole H...: Grace is a Whiny So and So 4 16 Feb 14, 2012 08:55AM
  • Dragon Blues
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Niki Slobodian, #1)
  • Imp Forsaken (Imp, #5)
  • The Arrival
  • Justice Incarnate (Shadows of Justice, #1)
  • Charming: A Cinderella Prequel (The Dark Woods, #1)
  • Xander's Chance (Damian Eternal, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • Sin and Sacrifice (Daughters of Eve, #1)
  • Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)
  • Cursed by Darkness (Befallen Tides, #1)
  • Intrigue (Night Muse #1)
  • Girl Gone Nova (Project Enterprise, #2)
  • Rook
  • Death's Hand (Descent, #1)
  • Dead in the Water (Gemini, #1)
  • Blade Song (Colbana Files, #1)

Grace Murphy (3 books)
  • Rifts (Grace Murphy, #2)
  • Volcanoes  (Grace Murphy, #3)

“Did I say stab of Self Pity? No, I was trekking through the Swamp of Self Pity at this point, waist deep in my own stinking shit.” 7 likes
“Swinging the door open, I took a sip. All of the coffee in the world wouldn't help if more visitors showed up at my door this early in the morning but the caffeine fortification was a bonus. The delivery guy pushed his clipboard at me. I held up my cup and raided my eyebrows.
We had an entire conversation in the next seven seconds with our eyes and eyebrows.
I told him that I wasn't giving up my coffee for his delivery. He told me that if I'd just sign on the damned dotted line he would get the hell out of here.
I replied in turn that if he'd hold the clipboard instead of shoving it at me (I threw in a nod here for good measure), I'd sign the damned line.
He finally sighed, turned the clipboard around and held the pen out.
I braced the door with my hip, grabbed the pen and scrawled Wilma Flinstone on the paper.”
6 likes