Start by marking “The Encyclopedia of World Mythology: A Comprehensive A-Z of the Myths and Legends of Greece, Rome, Egypt, Persia, India, China, and the Norse and Celtic Lands” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,622 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Lively and informed narrative by two expert authorities in their field.
Published December 29th 2004 by Lorenz Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Encyclopedia of World Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Encyclopedia of World Mythology

Aaron
The book is oversize and has over 1,000 entries over hundreds of pages. It's bulky, but it's lavishly illustrated which makes the full size worthwhile, if you're into those kinds of things.

I think the Goodreads summary can give as good a feel as anything for this book: "An authoritative A to Z of the mythical figures of two great continents, with copious cross-references." Yeah, those "two great continents" are, you guessed it, Europe and Asia. I have to downrate this book for calling itself th
Kevin
Jun 29, 2007 Kevin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: historical
Another one of those Gold colored books you see in the discount bin at Barnes and Nobel or Borders, this book is an attempt to organize mythological/religious characters from all around the world.

What's mythology to one person is religion to the next, and this book does a fine job of demonstrating key points in each character's history.

Finding this book now may be a trial, especially under the current ISBN, however, a search of the authors Arthur Cotterell & Rachel Storm return a new book en
Lareina Lani
Very in depth information of from myths around the world. I love how it tells the history and how particular myths came about in different parts of the world. It's sectioned of for better searching. You can find all the Asian myths in the same chapter, Celts in another and etc... It's really good to expand your knowledge beyond the present day misleading and wrong information taught in schools as well as in the movies. I read this to my youngest daughter and she loves hearing stories. It was a g ...more
Wayne
As with most encyclopedias, this is not the sort of book which one reads from cover to cover.
AS with a dictionary one either goes straight to the topic needed or one browses and cross references....and Time flies.
I have been doing BOTH since late March when I began a Ten Week series of lectures "LIVING MYTHS" at the Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW) scattered through March, April, May and June 2012.
Alas,only two lectures remain.
Lecture notes, an intermission of chat with tea/coffee and supe
oxana
(I own a Finnish translation.)
Erica
My most treasured book (^___^)
Mackenzie
This book is a good source to start your research into not just Greek mythology but also other myths from around the world: Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Celtic, Persian, Indian and Far Eastern.

For the Greek mythology section, it doesn't always provide a comprehensive entry for some entities (e.g. I couldn't find anything about the Chimera in here) but the more prominent figures are all in there so, again, if you need a starting point for your research, this book will provide it.

Personally, I use it
Danelle
A fairly comprehensive book of mythology covering Europe & Asia. It begins with Greek & Roman mythology and then continues on with Celtic and Nordic. There are also sections on Africa and Asia. It's definitely not something you'd sit and read all the way through. It is nice for browsing, to keep on hand for reference, or to read bits on a rainy day.

Though it's not as in-depth as it could be, it does cover quite a bit.

The artwork throughout is an added bonus.
Jesse Evans-Jenkins
Jun 10, 2010 Jesse Evans-Jenkins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mythology Buffs
A great book for the mythology expert or student. I mainly bought this for Greek and Roman mythology, but it also includes Celtic, Nordic, Egypt and West Asia, South and Central Asia, and East Asia's myths. The books are very organized with an easy to use index so you can find all of the gods and godesses you want. Each myth is completely told with descriptions. In grey and oranged outlined pages, a certain part of a culture's mythology is explained. An example of this is that under the Greek an ...more
Harlan Martin
The research that went into this is faulty and filled with misinformation. They based the majority of the writing on one source called the Prose Edda that was written by a gentleman named Snorri Sturlsun who was a classically educated scholar who lived 100 years after the conversion of Iceland. That once source is pretty much taken with a grain of salt as being a doctored version of the Eddas because of the influence christianity and the church had on his writings. Most of true Asatru scholars t ...more
Malcolm Forman
Very well written book for those searching basic information on mythological gods and goddesses from different cultures around the world
Sophi Galford
why cant I read this book on this website!.
Ashley Logan
I used this book to look up Greek mythology for the Percy Jackson series. It was a lot of help and fun to read.
Reading it for Norse mythology now, focusing on Thor due to the new movie that is out. This is a big book and I hate to put "read" on here when it would probably take a person 2 years to read! I've read everything important to the Norse mythology I possibly could and it was 300 pages +. A lot to cover when it comes to mythology, but this is one of the better books on all the mythologies
Asia
I picked this up at Borders for like... $19.99 instead of the original MSRP.

It's a very nice and quite informative book, with lots of good photos and illustrations. The information is somewhat run-of-the-mill, at times, consisting of a lot of the same old regurgitated tidbits as so many other mythology books, but the fact it runs the gamut from Norse to Southeast Asian and everywhere in between kind of makes up for it.
Milo
Feb 16, 2011 Milo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mythology Enthusiasts
Shelves: golden, mythology
More like a textbook of all the worlds myths than anything else, this encyclopedia is interesting to peruse at your leisure. I loved it so much because it was able to point me in the direction of some of the most epic yarns ever woven from the beginning of recorded time to recent history. I still to this day look fondly through it from time to time.
Tank Girl
Interesting reference book, but doesn't do much in terms of introducing people to mythological basics. Slightly superficial and more of a coffee table book imho, but good for looking up names for research.
Not impressed by the coverage, but I guess that's what happens when you try to cram 3 mythologies into one book...
Laura Galarza
One of my all time favorite books, which is of course part of my collection. This book has an immense amount of information from Greek and Roman mythology to Celtic and Asian mythology. It’s something like your one stop book for all your mythological needs. Really is a must have book in any readers collection.
Zezee
Jan 28, 2013 Zezee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: myth lovers
Shelves: favorites
This is a great reference book. It contains a lot of mythological characters and is detailed (although sometimes I wish it contained a bit more). I recommend this to all myth lovers. Myths covered: Greek/Roman, Celtic, Nordic, South and Central Asia, Egypt and West Asia, East Asia.
Ruric Amhari
Comprehensive reference guide to world mythology with sections on classical world, norse lands, south and central asia, egypt and west asia, celtic world, east asia.

Entries are made in A-Z format within each main section with lots of full colour illustrations and photos.
Jovy
Love this book! It's a good reference for mythology not just Greek or Roman but also Norse, Egyptian and other myths. It is a huge book, but what can you expect, it's an encyclopedia for mythologies for crying out loud! If you don't like encyclopedia do not read this.
Ever get stumped on a mytholgical question? (yeah-because I know it happens everyday-right?) This book gives a brief description of just about every mythogical creature/god/human throughout time from all different regions from the Celtics to Rome and back again.
Allysmom
Half way through it, very condensed minipedia of world mythology. Great for younger kids that are interested but don't care to read too much or too long.
the pictures are nice, too. lots of beautiful art in this book!

this really was a fun book to read. =)
Kellie
A fantastically written book on myths, mythology, and Gods from every country that practices any sort of religion.

Full of drawings, photographs and, of course stories and myths, this book will teach every member of your family something about mythology.
Michael Hall
Short and concise summaries of many of the world's mythologies presented in one book. Good for those wanting just a general knowledge or for a launching pad to further study. It's also filled with interesting, and sometimes beautiful, pictures.
Tracy
This is an awesome reference book for mythical figures. I am dissapointed that it didn't cover more Egyptian figures and that it lumped them in the same chapter as West Asia. Other than that, it is an excellent reference book.
Nanci
The tiny fonts make this compact book a bit hard on the eyes, but the extensive photos, pictures, variety of cultures covered in a multitude of entries make it a worthwhile addition to any library section on mythology.
April Helms
An amazing collection of myths from all over. I keep this one on my reference shelves in my computer room in case I ever need to look something up. Great reference for Greek, Roman, Celtic and Egyptian mythology.
Greg
This is an Encyclopedia; you never 'actually' finish reading it.
If you're interested in; Art, Ancient Worlds and obviously Mythology, it's good to have in your collection.
Michelle
This is such a great encyclopedia filled with so much information about mythology of every aspect. I have not actually read the entire thing, but it makes a wonderful research companion.
Eastofoz
Excellent reference book with classical paintings and clear/ easy to understand explanations and descriptions. Nice to have three main areas of myth all in one book.
  • Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • Mythology
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2, 500 Deities of the World
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • World Mythology: An Anthology of Great Myths and Epics
  • Celtic Myths and Legends
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
  • The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Signs and Symbols: Identification, Analysis and Interpretation of the Visual Codes and the Subconscious Language That ... and Describes Our Thoughts and Emotions
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • The Complete World of Greek Mythology
  • Parallel Myths
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
Arthur Cotterell, former Principal of Kingston College in London, has spent many years combining senior educational management with historical research. He is the respected author of more than thirty books, and is now writing on the Chinese empire, from the history of which he considers one can learn as much about leadership as from Ashridge or Harvard.
More about Arthur Cotterell...
Ancient China (Eyewitness Books) Norse Mythology: The Myths & Legends of the Nordic Gods (Mythology Library) The Macmillan Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Myths & Legends Celtic Mythology: The Myths & Legends of the Celtic World (Mythology Library) قاموس أساطير  العالم