Start by marking “The Mercy Seat” as Want to Read:
The Mercy Seat

The Mercy Seat (Joe Donovan #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Once a renowned investigative journalist, Joe Donovan's life fell apart when his six-year-old son disappeared without trace. He is a virtual recluse when a teenage boy makes contact, in desperate need of his help. On the run for his life, Jamal has in his possession something that holds the key to Donovan's past. As long-buried secrets emerge and the bodies pile up, Donova ...more
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Story Sound (first published January 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mercy Seat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercy Seat

This is me leaving my comfort zone and reading a thriller/suspense/whatever it is called. I don't know much about the genre, and haven't read enough to be able review it properly but I thought it was ok. There were dead bodies, blood, chases, fights and a mysterious minidisc.
However, Mr Waites should leave love scenes to Danielle Steel. Really. Check this one for example:
"They looked at each other. Their eyes locked.
'Everything changes,' he said.
'Nothing stays the same,' Maria replied.
They kisse
Ross Hamilton,
Excellent crime novel!
After doing a bit of internet research for a crime novel set in Newcastle, I discovered this series by Martyn Waites and thought I'd give it a try. It was initially just going to be a little light, side reading while also reading some heavier nonfiction. As it turned out, I became completely engrossed and had a hard time putting it down. I have a three month old baby at the moment, and suddenly the middle of the night wake ups became something to look forward to because it gave me more time to r ...more
This is one of those instances where I think the reviews that I read about this book hurt my read. Maybe my expectations were too high, but there just wasn't anything about this novel that really set it off from other books in the genre.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book. The prose is well-written, if maybe 50 pages too long. Often the story is more complicated than it is complex. But there are some fun set pieces and good action.

The main flaw to me was that the characters (save for a coupl
Fantastic author with great story thread that weaves through - wish there were more!
Sue Kelso
I discovered Martyn at BCon 2011 by buying the latest in the Joe Donovan series. After reading, I immediately ordered the rest of this series so I could meet the characters and find out how they got to this point in their lives.

In this one, a newspaperman goes missing. A woman out of Joe's past comes to him for help. Joe is promised help to keep looking for his missing son and agrees. There are a lot of characters but once you get into the rhythm, it becomes easier to keep them all straight.

This book wants to be new, edgy, a reinvention of the noir thriller genre. What it is is serviceable. A good read, efficient pacing, crisp plot. But there is nothing "new" here. A protagonist, destroyed by a horrible event in his recent past, ruined career, broken man syndrome, etc., brought back to life by a new job, good people, getting the bad guy. The first in a trilogy, this book sets up the next two, creating the team of characters who will pursue the serial killers, mad men, etc. Nothing ...more
The Mercy Seat by Martyn Waites is an suspensful novel that takes place in London. It is a book about a twelve year old named Jamal who overcomes things such as crimelords and police. Jamal hustles his way through life just to get by. I learned a lot from this book, I would like to read more books about Martyn Waites. She is a good author who knows how to write intersting books that are about daily life. i would recommend this book to anyone who likes books about drama.
This author is described as the Michael Connelly of English fiction. While I was unfamiliar with some of the dialect, I found the story keeping my interest. The main character is a former journalist, down on his luck who gets involved in a case of murder. As he joins forces with other characters to solve the crime, he leaves journalism to start his own business of investigative jobs with his new team. I really enjoyed this change of pace.
i just finished the last third in one sitting and can finally breathe easily. what a read. dark and gritty and whenever you thought - surely, it can't get any more worse - it actually did get worse. not easy to swallow some of the scenes and themes, let alone some of characters which you might encounter in any street of any biggish town these days.
marvellously well written, a perfect crime noir novel.
Set mostly in Newcastle and featuring a former journalist with a tragic past, this book was dark and extremely violent but compulsively readable.
Lisa Fox
Well written, though not as creepy as it could have been. Still a good thriller/mystery. I would like to read more of his work.
Well written, but very dark and violent. Not an easy read and not for everyone.
Victoria marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Sonal Israni
Sonal Israni marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
kimberly marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Konstantinos Goutsos
Konstantinos Goutsos marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Gina marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Lynne marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Linda marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Bill Kupersmith
Bill Kupersmith marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Bücher Strudel
Bücher Strudel marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Lisa is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Martyn Waites (b. 1963) is an English actor and author of hard-boiled fiction. Raised in Newcastle upon Tyne, he spent his post-university years selling leather coats, working in pubs and doing stand-up comedy. After a stint in drama school, Waites pursued life on the stage, performing regionally in theaters across England. TV and commercial work followed, and he continued to act full-time until t ...more
More about Martyn Waites...

Joe Donovan (4 books)
  • Bone Machine
  • White Riot
  • Speak no Evil
The Woman in Black: Angel of Death Bone Machine White Riot Speak no Evil The White Room