Start by marking “Il forte sul fiume. Le cronache di Camelot. 5.” as Want to Read:
Il forte sul fiume. Le cronache di Camelot. 5.

Il forte sul fiume. Le cronache di Camelot. 5. (Arthur The Hero #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  2,728 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Published 2003 by Piemme (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Il forte sul fiume. Le cronache di Camelot. 5., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il forte sul fiume. Le cronache di Camelot. 5.

Jenny
Awesome book about Merlyn and young King Arthur. This books has no magic involved and covers the time that Arthur is 8-15. The years he and Merlyn are in hiding waiting for Arthur to grow up enough to claim his rights. Didn't realize this was a book in a series and #5 so now I have #1 on order at the library. Can't wait to read them all.
Johnny
Mary Stewart’s take on Merlinus Ambrosius has always been the definitive high water mark on the Arthurian legend for me. Sure, I’ve read adaptations of some of the legends, boyhood anthologies, Bernard Cornwall’s gritty trilogy, and T. H. White’s delightful books—not to mention viewing the classic Excalibur and the musical Camelot as often as possible. Yet, Mary Stewart’s version seemed to me to be the most honest in terms of character development and credibility.
Of course, if you’re more intere
Annette
Jul 31, 2009 Annette marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
--yeah, I realize that I picked up the wrong book. This book is down the list...I have to back track. I have the other books in this series here.
It's well written, a good story, but slow. I've done some majour skimming in some parts. I like the characters, but it's a slow pace. March 11 2009---It was The Skystone I got half way through and didn't finish, so I dug it back out. --

Besides reading 'Come Love A Stranger' by Kathleen E. Woodwiss right now, I also am reading 'The Sorcerer. The Fort At
Miscreation
Fifth book in the series and from teh goodreads page.....

Merlyn Britannicus, leader of the colony known as Camulod, is faced with the task of educating his young charge, Arthur, future King of the Britons. Fearing for the life of his nephew when an assassination attempt is thwarted, Merlyn takes Arthur and his boyhood companions Gwin, Ghilleadh, and Bedwyr, to the ruins of a long-abandoned Roman fort far from Camulod. Once there, Merlyn realizes it's time for Arthur to become worthy of the sword
Tiffany
This book follows more character development than the previous books. However, the whole series is an historical and literary success, in my opinion. Whyte has done his research thoroughly, and with the arrival of the other nations and peoples on Britain's shores, we learn about how modern-day Europe came to be formed. Once you are this far, you are pretty much hooked anyway...
Robert Risher
Freaking spectacular. As good as the rest, but I give it 4 stars due only to the fact that is incomplete, and lacks the satisfying sense of resolution found in its predecessors. It isn't labeled in the American printing as the first half of The Sorcerer, but it is only the first half of a longer tale, and I can't wait to continue to the story...
Gary
Due to an attempt on the young Arthur's life in Camulod Merlin flees with his charge to Cumbria in what is now northeastern England
Arthur is here shown to be a child prodigy as well as physically valiant-the combination of genius and physical prowess making for a perfect leader.
He is loyal to his friends and has both an analytic and imaginative mind.
Merlyn and friend later build a fort at Mediobogdum
No magic as in sorcery but lots of prophetic dreams and premonitions
Also there is a battle again
Fantasy Literature
The Fort At River’s Bend is the first half Jack Whyte’s The Sorcerer, which publishers decided to divide into two novels: The Fort At River’s Bend and Metamorphosis. Whyte apparently preferred that they would have been read as one entry.*

When The Fort At River’s Bend begins, our narrator, Caius Merlyn Brittanicus of Camulod, is reaching middle age. He is a warrior, a soldier, and a governor who has lost friends, family, and his wife to treachery and war. Now, he commits his life to raising Arthu
Dani
I started losing interest in this series but this book has sucked me in again. Merlyn needs a place to hide Arthur for a few years and ends up in a abandoned Roman fort. More character development than action but really riveting.
Jayscott Crosley
Now the thing to realize about this book is that The Fort at River's Bend and The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis are two parts of one book. When the American publishers got the rights they split the book in two, probably for length, but didn't market them as a part one and two.

This is why I didn't like the book as much as I did the rest of the series. To me it seems to have so a great deal of exposition and tangents that lead you away from the main plot. Normally that can be a good thing in a series,
Clayton Bye
While historically interesting (the world creation is unbelievable), I found the story dragged in this installment of the series.
Ted Hopkins
Great conclusion to the Dream of Eagles series. Read the two books one right after the other as a single book as Jack intended.
Beth A
My absolute favorate genre, historical fiction. The entire series is terrific. Page-turners.
Josh Francis
Just as great as the first. I can't wait to pick up the rest.
Debbie
Loved the whole series but this was one of my favs
Elaine
The popular consensus on this addition to the Camulod series, is that there is little action and that the plot rarely progresses. I agree with the latter comment-and amn't too concerned with the first, so I found it an overall enjoyable and useful addition to the series.

In some of the earlier works I have become bogged down with battle/armour details and the like.Whilst this still happens, it is more manageable and somehow incorporates itself into the overall plot rather than being a point of pe
David
I wasn't overly thrilled with this entry of Whyte's Arthurian saga. Essentially, it was quite boring and the plot did not move forward much. Instead, we have long discussions (that at least hold some interest) of morality, government, economics, etc. as we watch young Arthur come to some understanding of what a great leader is.

In this entry, Merlyn adopts his nickname (Cay, short for Caius) in order to "disappear" from sight as he takes Arthur and a small group of settlers into a mountainious r
Aaron Althuizen
Another amazing series by Jack Whyte. If you enjoy being immersed into the story, these tale will certainly provide you with the right tools.

From Wikipedia:
'The novels are a rendition of the Arthurian legend that attempt to propose a possible explanation for the foundation of Camulod (an alternate spelling of Camelot), Arthur's heritage and the political situation surrounding his existence. The setting series begins during the Roman departure from Britain and continues for 150 years ending durin
Gerry Germond

The Camulod Chroniclesis a series of novels on King Arthur, but not only The Man himself but his ancestors back to his great grandparents, all of whom are Overachievers, Wonderfully Talented, Brilliant in Thought, and who brush their shiny teeth every day. What they do is found Camulod (Camelot) and make it the forward-edge community of its day, in which the young Merlyn and Uther Pendragon are raised to accomplish Great Things.

What I like about the series is its history. This isn't knights in s

William
While my title for this review may not sound encouraging, this novel, in my opinion, was the weakest of Jack Whyte's Dream of Eagles series. However, given how good the series has been thus far, this was not a bad novel, just comparatively weak. Firstly, it lacks the action filled battle scenes in all of the previous books in the series. Secondly, it is hard to get excited about wondering whether or not young Arthur Pendragon will develop into a great king, when the entire world already knows he ...more
Julie
Whyte sets a very interesting historical view on the legend that is Arthur and his Camelot in this series. It's great to see how some modern regions and names of Europe came to be as we know them and to see links with today and the past. This particular book in the series deals with Arthur's boyhood and teachings by Merlyn.
Elizabeth
A well-written, engaging book, Fort at River's Bend covers Arthur Pendragon's life from age 8 to 15. Told in the first-person and written as Merlin's memoirs, he becomes the protangonist, with Arthur the focus of his life's work. I enjoyed Jack Whyte's writing style: his vocabulary is expansive, his syntax and structure a cut above the norm, and his knowledge about the history of Britain and its legends brings an unusual authenticity to the story. I read this as a stand-alone novel and it works ...more
Devin
I found the first 4 books in this series to be remarkably consistent. The setting, characters, and action all were up to the same high standards. In the 5th book, the new setting and characters remain interesting, but the action sags. It is almost non-existent. I know many things in this book were necessary, but it can seem like long stretches of time pass without anything important happening. It was still an enjoyable book, just a small lull in the action, as can be expected over the course of ...more
Somer
This is the 5th novel in Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles. It's hard to review just one of the novels in the series, as the series reads like one long book. This installment finds Caius Merlyn Brittanicus, along with his ward Arthur Pendragon (and a group of others from Camulod), arriving in the lands of Derek of Ravenglass, seeking a place to hide while Arthur matures. We see Arthur grown from a mere boy to a young man. The Fort at River Bend is part one of Metamorphosis, which Whyte intended to ...more
Tim "The Enchanter"
The series, to this point has been engrossing and the characters are deep and vivid. Unfortunatly, the fifth book in the series does not meet the standard of the others. There is a distinct lack of excitement in this entry in the series and often feels like and multiple pages of endless dialogue. Regardless, the book furthers the story of Merlyn and Arthur and is still enjoyable in within the whole of the series.
Penny
This is book 5 in The Camulod series by Jack Whyte about the Arthurian legend. It is as gripping as the other 4 that I have read, its amazing that so far every book has been really good. I can,t tell you how much I am enjoying the series and I will be very very sorry when I get to the end of it, There are another 4 to read so I shall eke them out. A wonderful series that I would defy anyone not to enjoy!!
Matt
This is one of the better books in the Camulod series. With Jack Whyte, you always know what you are getting - paragon protagonists with few flaws, demented evil antagonists with little to make them likable, lots of good solid history, lengthy discourse between characters debating religious & philosophical matters, and a fair amount of action. I love this series, and look forward to the final few books remaining.
Miranda
Brian
This series is simply great.
Jay
An interesting view on Arthur as a youth and the start of Merlyn's change towards the sorcerer we are all familiar with. Most of this book was character development but some good action sequences.

As with previous novels in this series I couldn't put this one down. Looking forward to book 6.
  • The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2)
  • The Prince and the Pilgrim (Arthurian Saga, #5)
  • The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur
  • Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles, #2)
  • Sword at Sunset
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle, #4)
  • King Arthur
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2)
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2)
Jack Whyte is an author and writer born and raised in Scotland, but has been living in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada since 1967.

Whyte's major work to date is the A Dream of Eagles series (as it is titled in Canada, but known as The Camulod Chronicles in the United States and elsewhere). This series of historical novels presents the tale of King Arthur set against the backdrop of Roman Britain.
More about Jack Whyte...
The Skystone (Camulod Chronicles, #1) The Singing Sword (Camulod Chronicles, #2) The Eagles' Brood (Camulod Chronicles, #3) The Saxon Shore (Camulod Chronicles, #4) Knights of the Black and White (Templar Trilogy, #1)