Start by marking “Whitegirl” as Want to Read:
Whitegirl

Kate Manning

Whitegirl

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"It is hard to imagine a more intricate fictional look at interracial love than Kate Manning's well-written debut. Whitegirl is the story of Charlotte, a California girl almost stunted by her blond good looks, and Milo, an African American ski champion who has gone far professionally by never examining his deeper feelings. When she first encounters Milo at a small Vermont ...more
402 pages
Published 2002

To ask other readers questions about Whitegirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whitegirl

Patty
OK, this book was a doozy. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but Goodreads suggested Kate Manning to me based on other stuff I had read. And I will be reading more of Kate Manning. She took on the very prickly and personal subject matter of interracial relationships with discomfiting aplomb. Not too preachy, but not letting you off the hook, either. And the characters all seem so plausible. The ending is killing me!
Christa Sgobba
I picked up this book because I absolutely loved Kate Manning's second novel, My Notorious Life. I read a few sample pages of this and was hooked quickly, though it really was the synopsis of it that made me want to read it in the first place.

The book's described almost like a fictional telling of the O.J. Simpson/Nicole Brown story. The narrator is Charlotte, a beautiful young woman (yes, per the title, she's white) who's been taught to rely on her looks as her only hook. But the book isn't rea
Novella
Loved this book and all that I learned about racial couple stereotypes. Some of what I learned and the experiences shared by the couple of how people treated them absolutely shocked me. I have grown up and lived my life not judging by skin color, religion, sexual orientation, etc. It is simply not my place or nature to judge--never has been. Sometimes though, I am naive enough to believe or don't think about the fact that many others don't operate on the same premise. This was an excellent read ...more
Steph
what to say about this book. i picked it up with shelly at random at daltons in the valley which was closing down and having a crazy sale.
i thought about this book for a long time after i read it and it still comes to mind a lot. i think what's so upsetting about this work is how it honestly grapples with the fact that no matter the best intentions, race continues to color one's every interaction and thought in some way.
the book itself isn't written amazingly, and the ending is unsatisfyingly
Gina Marcelin
The story of OJ and Nicole. Only the names have been changed.
The white wife of a popular Black athlete and movie star wakes up from a coma and cannot remember what happened. Did her husband really do this to her?
Read this story and tell me what you think.
Natalie
I can't even adequately describe this book so I will merely say it is a Must Read. I didn't give it five stars because I felt like the author left me hanging at the end a bit, but other than that it was riveting.
Jean
Loved this story- didn't know where it was heading so I couldn't put it down!
Diana
A compelling read. I loved this story. Puts us in the center of violence and gives us the play by play--years of what led up to a horrific attack.

I liked how it's told from one character's POV but you are given enough information to make up your mind about the facts but never confirmed on your beliefs.

I read a lot about it being likened to the OJ and Nicole Brown Simpson history but I could look at it outside of that. In fact, I felt like this gave me some perspective that I didn't have when the
Effie Samios
Excellent! I couldn't put the book down. Wonderfully written.
Valerie
Roxanne
I picked up this book because Sara Nelson, the author of So Many Books, So Little Time, loved it. It sat around on my To Read shelf for years, and I wish I'd read it sooner. This novel was terrific. Manning really captures this character, how she feels, how she thinks (or doesn't think). It was captivating and exquisite, a story of race and beauty and love and betrayal and recovering from violence. It floored me and I can't stop thinking about the ending. Highly recommended.
Angela
It has been a long time since I read a book that completely had me hooked from the beginning to the end. After reading some of the reviews, a lot of people compare this to the OJ/Nicole scenario, which I did not even consider as I read the book. This book posed a lot of interesting questions on race/ mixed marriages and societies views on them, particularly in the 80's.
Titi Meche
Did not like how the ending was left up in the air. Up to your imagination/investigation as to who assaulted her.
Amber
I read this book after reading about it in a book about books. How's that for a sentence? The author talked about how she stayed up all night reading it, which is shocking to me. It had some interesting parts about interracial marriage but it dragged on forever and the ending was horrible. Pretty disappointing.
Aksana
I was disappointed by the ending. The author introduced the events at the end of the book in the very beginning and the whole book was leading up to those events, but the book just dropped off. I love her writing style--her descriptions and how she writes the thoughts of characters.
Callie
I wanted to read this b/c it's about a mixed race marriage..Of course it's between a model and a famous athlete so not really like my marriage at all--maybe it was based on the OJ Simpson story.
Lindsey
I have wanted to read this for so long, but when it came down to it, I couldn't even finish it, and that NEVER happens. I think it may have just been the wrong time though, so I'll try again.
Niknesha Q. Hairston
I think the book was great. It gave a nee perspective about interracial relationships and true love. This book kept me very interested I had to know the ending.
Nora Winslow
I would have given it four stars if it weren't for the totally unsatisfying ending.
Ann Baxter
This got a rave review in the book So Many Books, So Little Time. Couldn't say I agreed.
Chamie
this is one of the best books i've ever read..i would recommend this to anyone.
Kristin
A mind bender mystery - see where your own stereotypes lead you.
Donna Jo Atwood
Too many echoes for O.J. Simpson for my taste.
Amy
Couldn't put it down. Interesting look at race.
Hector Vila
Excellent, intriguing, well worth the read --
Claire
I couldn't put it down. Brilliant.
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Katie Mckee
Katie Mckee marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • Santa Baby
  • Easy
  • You Don't Even Know
  • A Bit of Difference
  • To Love and To Perish (Annabelle Archer, #3)
  • A Death in Texas: A Story of Race, Murder and a Small Town's Struggle for Redemption
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • My So-Called Life (Angela Chase, #1)
  • Seventeen and In-Between
  • Phi Beta Bimbo
  • Snow Mountain Passage
  • Evening News: A Novel
  • Bowled Over (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #6)
A former documentary television producer (for WNET-13, where she won two Emmy Awards), Kate Manning would rather read than watch TV. She has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Guardian, The Los Angeles Times, Glamour, and More magazine. She has taught writing at Bard High School Early College. She lives with her family in New York City. You can read Chapter One of MY NOTORIOU ...more
More about Kate Manning...
My Notorious Life

“Because I couldn't trust anything, especially not myself. How could I be lying there next to him with these snakes of doubt worming around in my heart? It was not honest.” 2 likes