Where Does a Mother Go to Resign?

Where Does a Mother Go to Resign?

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Our much-cherished humorist opens her heart with a story that shines with the hope of restoration in the wake of pain and tragedy.
Paperback
Published October 31st 2004 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 1st 1979)

Kim
I am part of a Stephen Ministry group that comes along side of others to be a listener and help them through hard situations. This book was recommended to me by one such suffering person.

It is not a funny book--even though the title might suggest it! It is the true story of how a woman dealt with a string of real hardship. The amazing thing was how the Lord prepared her for what she would face. I don't want to spoil the book so I will not explain what she saw before hand that helped her.

She face...more
Michael
The premiere contribution which was to finally list over a dozen books by this very dear friend of myself and my family. This was Barb's "intiation" and a very successful "baptism by fire" of her putting her history of so many unbelievable developments that happened in her life. In essence, these developments actually woke a "sleeping giant" of a woman of depth and character sprinkled with infectious humour.

As with all of Barbara's contributions, full of humour (some black, mostly white)... hea...more
Fran
I didn't read this book because I wanted to resign from being a mother, but because I have read several of Barbara Johnson's books and she is a hoot! However, this book was on a more serious matter, and I got so much from it, that it made me feel guilty for ever complaining.
Barbara has a way of making you laugh at even the serious stuff. Her sense of humor is unbeatable. What a great attitude.
Maryann Brodeur
Loved this book! See how God works in and through the storms. Funny, sad, life learning experiences.
Lynnda Ell
Remember the 1970s? The hippie generation was in full rebellion and the Jesus' freaks were witnessing to them on the streets. Homosexuality and AIDs were still the subjects of whispers behind closed doors. It was during this era that Barbara Johnson discovered that one of her sons had been drawn into the homosexual lifestyle. The revelation broke her heart and sent her into a depression cycle that came close to destroying her.

Where Does a Mother Go to Resign is a raw account of the depths of emo...more
Melinda
May 24, 2008 Melinda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
This book is not funny except for brief anecdotes. It's the story of Barbara Johnson's feelings after she discovered that her son had decided to be homosexual. I found it useful for her therapist's advice on how to handle the extremes of emotion. It rang true to what I've experienced with depression in my own life. This book is helpful to know that God is good and that He does not leave us alone.
Charis
What a life this woman had. I read this book because I was feeling sorry for myself as a stay-home mom and wanted to resign, but after reading this I said, "Hey, I should appreciate my life because it could be MUCH worse!!!!" That wasn't the point of the book, and I did appreciate the point of the book, but I did get something different from it.
Jeanette
I've had this book for probably 10 years or more and just got around to reading it. Glad I did. Sure puts things in perspective...when you feel like you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on...
Abby
Nov 28, 2008 Abby marked it as to-read
This book was mentioned in the book I am reading right now, about gay people and the LDS church. It's about a mom whose son is gay.
Melanie
Jul 04, 2007 Melanie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: previouslyread
I have read alot of Barbara Johnson's books and they are hilarious, touching your heart with her humor and personal life stories.
Mom Coulongue
If this wasn't rated as a true story, it would be hard to believe.
She is one strong lady...
Partridge Public
Oct 12, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: INS Joh
Shelves: inspirational
Johnson, Barbara PB
Wyvonna
EXCELLENT READ
Cheryl Ice-vernon
Cheryl Ice-vernon marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Sonica Van
Sonica Van marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Sue Maryon
Sue Maryon marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Tammy Walls
Tammy Walls marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Danetta
Danetta marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Pattie
Pattie added it
Mar 09, 2014
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2014
Diane
Diane added it
Jan 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Librarian note: There are other authors with the same name
More about Barbara Johnson...
Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy Splashes Of Joy In The Cesspools Of Life Pack Up Your Gloomies in a Great Big Box, Then Sit on the Lid and Laugh! Mama Get the Hammer! There's a Fly on Papa's Head! Living Somewhere Between Estrogen and Death