Start by marking “Pastures New” as Want to Read:
Pastures New

Pastures New

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Take one sleepy Suffolk villageAdd a young widowThrow in a local vamp and a harassed mumStir it up with a sexy, secretive doctorAnd watch feuds grow, tempers fray and love blossom…Amy Nicholson never expected to leave London for the Suffolk countryside. But she also never expected to be a 33-year-old widow, left alone with a young son. Fleeing her memories, she swaps her h ...more
Published September 4th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pastures New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pastures New

It's official: the light fiction genre is not for me. Oh, parts of it are cute. The dialogue is endearing. And most of the characters are likable, most of the time. Sometimes I even crack a smile at their antics. But mostly, I just shake my head and wonder why it is that people in Light Fiction Universe don't act the way that people in the regular universe do, especially regarding long-term consequences of actions.

I was going to list a whole slew of examples, but what's the point? These are plo
Claire Hill
I could not put this book down from the first page . You fall live with all the people in the book . Amy has a break heart after losing her husband but they had a dream of moving to the country , she moves with her soon to a village far from what she had and meets Harry the lovable neighbor and saffron the mother of a new baby and husband and dealing with the ex and then there is Ben the handsome doctor will he mend her broken heart will she let him !!! If you haven't read this book your should ...more
Amy Nicolson is a young widow who has recently lost her boyfriend and father of her son Josh in an accident. She wants to make a fresh start away from the memories and the mother-in-law Mary so moves to Nevermorewell, a small village miles away from home.

Amy soon settles into village life and life on the allotments and makes some new friends for her and Josh along the way. Amy is just settling in when local Doctor Ben Martin stumbles into her life and leaves her all confused.

Will love begin to g
Pastures New is yet another entertaining book Julia Williams which has a gardening theme. This really attracts me to her books especially with my longing to get back out into the garden.

Amy Nicolson sells her apartment and takes her son to the Suffolk village of Nevermorewell to start a new life. She is missing her boyfriend and son Josh's father so much after his death that it seems the best thing to do. Right away, Amy starts to feel part of the community and meets many new people through the
Cath Stannard
This was a lovely read, really likeable and relatable characters BUT it was just sooooo frustrating. The story was just strung out way too long and it literally did not come together until the last page.
It was a predictable story, you knew what was going to happen from the very beginning.
A nice easy read if you're looking for some lovely chick lit.
Not a bad story, but I found Amy too annoying & wishy-washy, & when you don't like the heroine it's difficult to like the book. I got very tired of the name, Nevermorewell, & the little jokes around it, too.

Rated 5/10 at
Great story and characters but got frustrated a bit with their will they wont they ? I was like .. Come on ! Overall very entertaining though
Caroline Montague
An easy read. Amy and Ben as the main characters are very likeable and the rest of the characters fit in to the story line very well.
This was a sweet, charming story. I very much liked the characters and setting.
Bronwyn Rykiert
I enjoyed listening to this book, though it was a little frustrating in a couple of areas with both Saffron and Amy but overall a good story.

Amy Nicholson has been widdowed for 2 years has recently come to live at Nevermorewell with her 5 year old son Josh. Here she meets a doctor Ben Martin, her widdowed neighbour Harry and Saffron, who she met when taking her son to school and her husband Pete. The story works around these 5 main characters with a few other thrown in, they get to know each as
A light, pleasant read.
I enjoyed every page of this lovely story. Julia Williams has created a cast of interesting, warm and realistic characters who are all very human. It's a comforting read - covering issues that most of us wil deal with in our lives sometime. The author deals with all of the issues in a humourous and realistic way - there are characters I detested and some I really loved - just like real life, and there were times I would have like to knock a few heads together - but this all added to the novel.

Margherita Dolcevita
Se dovessi dare un voto al libro in base a quante ore mi ha tenuta sveglia per farsi leggere dovrei affibbiargli il massimo. C'è da dire che però la storia è un po' banalotta e alla lunga stanca, appassionano di più le storie a latere. In ogni caso mi ha ricordato Katie Fforde e questo gli fa prendere la più che sufficienza.
Amy, a young widow, and her young son Josh move from London to the countryside. The book charts their progress, the friends the make, and their relationships. Reasonably well-written and interesting, but the characters don't come alive at all. Too much authorial explanation for my tastes. But a pleasant enough light read.
Bev Taylor
really good light read

characterisation is brilliant u really feel u r living in the village with them

so much so, u want to shake them or scream at them - no/yes don't u realise what this/he.she really means?

try it and see - u will not regret it!

if u do, do not blame me .... !!

Started out very well but I felt that this book could have done with being a bit shorter, the last few chapters felt like they had been padded out. By the end I was getting a bit fed up of the lead characters falling out/getting back together/misunderstandings etc.
I really enjoyed this book, and discovered that it was the 2nd time I'd read it after a few pages.

The characters were very likeable and each had a story to tell, that you really wanted to hear.
A nicely written book with a good rolling plot full of highs, lows and humour, and warm, rounded and believable characters. I don't normally 'go' for romance novels but I enjoyed this one immensely.
It was an story that I thought went a little long. I liked most of the characters and the story progressed well if not a little slowly.
Amy is a warm lead character. A easy romantic read.
Really not my cup of tea.
Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Betty marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Moira Curle
Moira Curle marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Anouska Stacey
Anouska Stacey marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Hannah marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Suzi marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015