Start by marking “De Laatste Dag” as Want to Read:
De Laatste Dag

De Laatste Dag

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Oudejaarsavond 1999. De Amerikaanse tv-reporter Jon Feldman bereidt zich voor op de nieuwjaarsreportage vanuit Jeruzalem: hoewel het Heilige Land is overstroomd door fanaten die het eind van de wereld verwachten, is er weinig NIEUWS te melden.

Dan vindt er plotseling een geweldige aardschok plaats, gevolgd door meldingen over een vrouw met buitengewone krachten. Feldman rui
Published 1997 by Luitingh - Sijthoff

To ask other readers questions about De Laatste Dag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Laatste Dag

Cathy Ryan
As the millennium approaches there is an unexplained explosion in the desert in Southern Israel which completely destroys a laboratory. One person survives and there begins an extraordinary story. When an ethereal young woman appears on New Years Eve things start happening in earnest, involving the news media, the Vatican, assassination plots and reports of miracles not to mention conspiracies and an aspect of science fiction too.

This is a very engrossing read. The research and details are amazi
Johannes
In the beginning it seems as though this is yet another Science-fiction story, with criticism of the normal science and warfare services. But soon it appears that not only against science and the (Israeli) secret service is protested, but against anything that is not in accordance with the teachings of the great masters.
The parables of Jessa follow the same picture as those of Jesus, but in a modern form that fits more with our time.

The statements between the two groups of supporters and opponen
Rage
The Last Day is an absolutely fabulous book that makes you take some time and just think. It's full of ideas and scenarios that probably will freak the hell out of people that don't live with an open mind. For a first time fiction novel by an author who clearly states that this is a work of fiction, I say well done Glenn Kleier. I commend you for ripping a big fat hole in that box of religious propoganda. If you have been indocrinated into a judgemental being then you will find fault with anythi ...more
Janet
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Last Day". The plot was satisfyingly twisty, and I appreciate Mr. Kleir's extensive research into rapidly evolving mass media, modern Middle Eastern history and politics, particularly regarding intelligence and warfare, as well as his comprehensive knowledge of Roman Catholicism, the inner workings of the Vatican in particular. The complex characters Glenn portrays are vividly drawn, and they all display good development as the story progresses. More importantly, I foun ...more
Charles Altman
I am a science fiction reader and I came upon this book by accident at a book fair. I bought it, and it was one of those books I could not put down. It is the story of Jeza the second coming of Christ. I was fascinated because it illustrates how the church has all this wealth, and Jeza (the real Christ 2) is commanded by God to have the Catholic Church "disband" and use all of its amassed wealth to help people in need.

Now that is fascinating to me, and I found myself thinking about this book ag
Barbara Dycus
I already question and doubt organized religions. I feel they will do and say whatever it takes for them to hold their congregations in their grips all for the sake of money. I would love for a "Messiah" to come along and shake them to their very core, maybe then people would wake up and realize they have been had all this time.
Karen Azinger
An excellent and thought-provoking read. A cross between science-fiction, post apocalyptic, and Middle-East thriller, its premise is out of date, since 2000 is long past, but this is one of the books I re-read every other year. An interesting and well written book.
Tamara Bennett
i LOVE apocalyptic/end-of-days books. This one had some really interesting twists. I questioned the intent & truth of the events & heroes of the book until the end & even then I still wondered about the possibilities.
Frances
I keep searching for a really good apocalyptic/end of days book. This is the closest I've come to the one I'm looking for. Very interesting reinterpretation of the Bible. Very enjoyable with good twists and turns.
Kathy
First, in a genre plagued with very mediocre writing, this book is a welcome change. Thank you Glenn!

I am not so gifted with words, so I will just say that I found this book fascinating, with finely crafted characters and a though-provoking plot. I could not wait to find out how he would end it, but did not want it to end. Frankly I worried about how the author would actually bring it to a satisfying ending and was surprised and pleased with his choices. I consider myself a "progressive Christi
Kerith
I started off suspicious and not certain if I should give my time to this book, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. Part wishful thinking, part thoughtful what-if of human reaction, this is quite a well-done story of the Second Coming. Except this time the Messiah is a woman. (I rather liked that) Her message wasn't always easy to swallow -- she wanted all the churches, etc, to disband because they were "misleading" people -- but some of it was wonderful, such as her liberation of women from what m ...more
J. Ewbank
This novel is not my normal type of book. It is a very unusual book and I liked it. It had to overcome my skepticism about the topic of the book but it did and I thought the book was a good read.

I think that mystery readers and sci-fi readers and some religious people interested in the end of things will find this an interesting read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Kara Fogle
Really loved this book! My husband brought it into our home & we fought over who would re-read it first, we both enjoyed it thoroughly!! Glenn takes you on a journey of intrigue & made me re-evaluate some of my personal held beliefs. What all good books should do this one does in spades: makes you think, keeps you interested, opens your mind to new possibilities!! Bravo Glenn Kleier!!
Amanda Pants
This is one of those books that, even though I read it years ago, I think about regularly. The twists and care given to creating three dimensional characters were highly appreciated. I felt terribly sorry for the Pope.

You get nothing more from me to avoid spoilers - just read it!
Sandra
I just reread this book and found it just as amazing as the first time around. It is very well researched and, although billed as a thriller, is a more thoughtful and interesting novel than what you would expect. It was amazing and I can't wait for the author's next book.
Davin
Great book. Glenn Kleier did a great job researching his information. The book follows parts of the Bible and revelations but has a modern theme to it. There are twist and turns to keep you reading. It is designed for fun reading not for a religious discussion.
Judemurdeaux
If you want a book that will keep you up all night and when your not reading it you are thinking about the story continually, then Last Day will do it. Five stars says it all since I can not give it six or nine or more.
Tara Long
I recommend this book to everyone. He is a little known author and this may be his only book. Once you get into this book you will not put it down. I lost many hours of sleep because of this book (in a good way).
Don
Great story!

Shame the conclusion would never become even remotely true.
Cora Denise
One of my all time favorite books.
Maddi Sojourner
May 24, 2011 Maddi Sojourner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maddi by: Amazon
I've never read a book like this before, and I'm still trying to figure out what genre to call it. It's not science fiction, because the science is nonsense. It's a thriller, but it's also apocalyptic/End Times foolishness. The author clearly has a beef with organized religion, which makes for a curious mix. The problem is, he didn't do enough of his homework to make the book believable, and I am not referring to the existence of Jeza the Possible Messiah, or even the research project that begat ...more
Juan Nieto Cano
Este es uno de esos libros del que no sabes como ni por qué te llama la atención de entre tantos y tantos como puede haber en una biblioteca, y te decides y lo coges, y no me ha defraudado para nada. Un libro excelente, jamás había leído algo parecido. La historia no decae en ningún momento, no sabes si Jeza es una verdadera o falsa mesías, si el Papa y el Vaticano están tomando una decisión correcta o equivocada, se mantiene muy bien la intriga. La últimas 60 páginas son las más trepidantes, no ...more
Vinnie Watkins
It isn't very often you find a thriller that makes a moral statement. This book does. I read Mr. Kleier's second book before this one and loved it. I love this one too but for different reasons. It is, in its most simple analysis, a thriller where science and religion take center stage but there isn't debate about which one has it right. Instead the book makes a statement about what religion should be in this day and age. Jeza is eloquent and tolerant. Without spoiling anything I will say it is ...more
Jason
Loved this book. Stumbled across it in a bookshop one day and thought it sounded quite interesting, then it sat on my shelf for ages. When I finally got round to reading it I was pretty upset with myself for making it wait so long.

An interesting take on religion and I can really see things playing out like this in real life if this was to happen. I do wish that this had been written in more recent times, it would have been interesting to see how the author would have incorporated Facebook and tw
Jess
The attention to detail as far as biblical passages and descriptions of locations and people was excellent. While reading the book, a lot of the author's story could be seen as an actual possibility, but reading it more than a decade after the time line of the book made me see it as a little far fetched. I think if I had read this in 1999, it would have been 100 times more believable and possibly "food for thought." It took a few days to get in to it...I struggled through the first few chapters ...more
Stephanie Murie
MY FAVOURITE BOOK TO DATE AND I READ A LOT OF BOOKS

No plot spoilers in this review only opinion.

Imagine the world's beliefs turned on their heads well this will make you do that. A magnificent author tackling a difficult subject. Don't be put off by the religious element if you are an atheist. It's probably fair to say you will get more out of it if you have a basic understanding of the plot of the bible but even if you've never heard of God or religion then I'm sure you will still find it a goo
Dufour
Pretty intense religious apocalypse story, but not onerous like Left Behind. Some very cool reinterpretations of the Revelations myths set within a modern context. I remember liking this mostly because of how damning it is of the Vatican. But it's mixed with plenty of intrigue to balance out the philosophizing.
Deanna Against Censorship
This is a book that I read in 1999 and I still cannot get it completely out of my mind. Makes the reader think while been taking on an adventure and a mystery. Well written and well researched.
Deborah
All of my sci-fyish, other reality reader friends need to join me in this read!! I'm just starting this book which I hear is going to rank as one for my Bookish Dame reviews!!!
Cyndie
Aug 16, 2008 Cyndie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like to challenge their faith while making it stronger.
Loved this book. Was hard to get into in the beginning, but then was a page turner that really made you think about things. Great ending!
  • Dead Americans and Other Stories
  • Centenary Separation (Watchbearers, #2)
  • Stowaway To Mars
  • Prophets of the Ghost Ants
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)
  • Dragon Secrets (OutCast, #2)
  • Ripper (Event Group Thriller #7)
  • Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy, #3)
  • The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
  • If You're Going Through Hell Keep Going (Mann of My Dreams #1)
  • Matcher Rules
  • SecondWorld
  • First Evidence
  • Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley #3)
  • Best Vacation That Never Was
  • Cemetery Of Angels
  • A Taste for Poison (Memory of Scorpions, #3)
Author of novels THE LAST DAY (Warner Books, 1998) and THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD & EVIL (Macmillan, 2011)
More about Glenn Kleier...
The Knowledge of Good & Evil