Start by marking “The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work” as Want to Read:
The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work

The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work

A business fable to help you discover your purpose in work and life New from Jon Gordon, the international and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of The Energy Bus, The Seed takes you on a quest for the meaning and passion behind work. Josh, an up-and-comer at his company, is disenchanted with his job. Challenged by his boss to take two weeks to decide if he really wan ...more
Published April 27th 2011 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Seed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seed

Dana
Jul 06, 2011 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to three types of people: 1) people who are unhappy with their work 2) people that are unhappy with themselves, and 3) people who are in their 20s, 30s, or 40s that don't know what to do with their lives. This tells the story of Josh and Dharma. Josh is the person, Dharma is a dog, and he (Josh) has lost his love of his job and of life. He has a meaningful encounter and then he has two weeks paid vacation to go find himself. I definitely recommend this book.
Gr8fullycre8ive
May 11, 2012 Gr8fullycre8ive rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Gr8fullycre8ive by: Stumbled upon it and glad I did
This book is magical! My life has changed after reading this book. It's like I have entered a positive portal and there is no going back. If you are trying to decide what to do with your life, I dare you to read this book and see what happens to you and the way your thinking changes. It is an easy read that will leave you more aware of the possibilities and connections that come your way.
Becky
Nov 06, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
I liked the quick pace of this book, and the way it didn't appear to be cramming information into all available space. This is a patient book.

I'm seeing a theme in my reading, that I'm chasing the wrong things. The book Courage by Debbie Ford taught me that once you are wholly honest with yourself, the courage you seek will follow. Jon Gordon teaches that you don't pick an exciting life and step into it - you work hard where you are and that becomes very exciting.

I also like how he tied the proc
Becky Carothers
Apr 16, 2012 Becky Carothers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay I like self-help books in some ways but someways I don't. This one was a great read. Instead of just telling you do's and dont's this tells a story. A young man finds himself learning from his boss that he has lost the passion for his job and he needs to find it again. What follows is a 2 week journey for Josh to find his purpose and happiness in his life and work.
John
Nov 22, 2015 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Christian guy who wrote this book which is nice in a way but the book as a whole is a bit abstract for my liking. You follow a guy who is having to make a major decision in his life and there are small pieces of wisdom in each chapter.

The main thing I got out of this was that passion and purpose have a connection so if you invest in your current situation with passion you will find your purpose. It reminded me of how some people fake confidence and then find they have it.

It's a quick read as t
Yelda Basar Moers
I’m always up for reading a book on one’s purpose in life. What spiritual reader isn’t? The problem is the topic has been overdone and the market flooded with such books. Purpose-inspired titles that I’ve read include: The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle and who can forget The Secret by Rhonda Byrne? But I’m left to wonder how the latest book on the topic can add anything new?

The Seed: Finding Purpo
Michael Tarpinian
Teaching novel about a man and his dog.

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street I met a man that had no feet.

God doesn't choose the best. God chooses the most willing. If you are willing to seek your purpose and God with your whole heart god will do amazing things with your life.

The four stages of Growth
Stage 1: Preparation
Stage 2: Planting
Stage 3: Growth
Stage 4: Harvesting
Kevin Eikenberry
Josh is lethargic and can’t seem to muster much energy for his work anymore. This is so obvious that his boss offers him a two week paid leave of absence to determine if he wants to be there or not.

That is how the newest parable by Jon Gordon begins.

- See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/perso...
Mary Magin
L'tanya Ce
There is much to be said for reflection. This is a book about a journey one takes to figure out how he/she ends up on a certain path. It is about understanding ones purpose or passion by returning to what shaped ones life. I have become a fan of Jon Gordon and is positive messaging.
Darci
Oct 23, 2015 Darci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a relaxing quick read. I enjoyed the "story" format. It made me think of "Who Moved my Cheese" for that reason. It didn't pull me in though, and the stages it described were not revelations for me. Somehow I hoped for more. It was worth a "like" and others may enjoy it more.
tikisha hayward
Apr 27, 2015 tikisha hayward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great

I have read many books but never have I read a book that meet me where I am and spoke to me in a way that I needed it and read the entire book. I had been asking God what is my purpose where should I be and here I find the answer.
Eric Burgan
Jan 13, 2016 Eric Burgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jon Gordon has done it again. If you feel lost in your current career, perhaps life in general this short read will help you throw off the funk. Plan on getting this one in print! Lots to highlight and bring out in my own life!
Susheel John
Oct 29, 2015 Susheel John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another of Jon Gordon's parables. I like the way he is able to use a simple story to illustrate the points he wants to get across. If you're finding life a drag and living a life of quiet desperation,READ THIS BOOK QUICK!
Mtbike40
Jon Gordon has done it again. An excellent story that will change the way that you think about life. I have been an avid Jon Gordon fan since "The Energy Bus". I have been fighting energy vampires for the past 4 years and enjoying every day of it.

The Seed helps you learn how to find your true meaning. It is hard to break down all the facades that our society tells us is important and to find that which truly makes each of us happy. It is always interesting how the grass is greener somewhere els
Brittany Fritz
This was another great book by Jon Gordon! Life really isn't about the destination, but about the journey. I think so many of us forget that, we need to take time and just enjoy the moments.
Armatstorage
I liked the ideas presented, but not especially they way it was written. It's great to figure out what is most important to do and then do it!
There are 146 pages in the book. It's an easy read.
Reagan Boyer
Apr 02, 2016 Reagan Boyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great easy read with an even greater purpose

Great motivation for me. Can't say much more, except read the book!
You won't be disappointed. It is a game changer.
Wendy
Aug 05, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I've read several of Jon Gordon's book, and this was my least favorite. This one seemed to have more focus on the spiritual/higher power belief system than his others do.
Eugene Kok
Jan 19, 2014 Eugene Kok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are ever at crossroads and wanting to find passion in what you do. Look for this book, this book is an eye opener. Whenever it comes to decisions in the working world, here are some major questions I learned that we all can ask. Have we done all we can to learn somemore? Is there anything else to improve there? It has re-reading value.
Slackchith
Jun 21, 2016 Slackchith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked how the author told the story to give us an eye opening lesson about life. It was a pleasant journey :) loved it!
John Vanbrunt,
Jan 08, 2013 John Vanbrunt, rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012

The story is simple. Josh, the main character, loses his passion for life and has becomes a burn out at work. His boss offers Josh two weeks’ vacation to figure things out. At the end of the two weeks, he must decide whether he wants to remain employed with the company or pack up his stuff and move on. During those two weeks off he learns a lot about himself.

Quotes from the book I enjoyed:

You don’t have to be great to make a difference. You just have to serve with great desire, and if you do, G
Tammy
Jun 09, 2016 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED THIS! I'm loving the way Jon Gordon writes personal development books! It's a story I can follow with ideas that will help me be a better me
Dacia
Jun 20, 2015 Dacia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to help you consider your purpose and if you are living it.
Paul Evans
Feb 25, 2016 Paul Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent fable on the power of purpose. Those who are conscious of their journey can relate to the adversity and uncertainty encountered along the way. I'm a big Jon Gordon fan for his intelligible style - he makes it easy to put yourself in the protagonist's shoes.
Thanh Nguyen
Jul 17, 2015 Thanh Nguyen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good one when you sometimes get lost in life
Delhi Irc
Dec 18, 2014 Delhi Irc rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Location: GG7 IRC
Accession no: DL026709
Jon Kneifl
Feb 26, 2015 Jon Kneifl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read for all ages
Cristian Marrero
Planting seeds with your heart.
  • The Lotus and the Lily: A 30 Day Soul Program
  • The Mindful Woman: Gentle Practices for Restoring Calm, Finding Balance, and Opening Your Heart
  • The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do
  • Dreaming the Soul Back Home: Shamanic Dreaming for Healing and Becoming Whole
  • Tears to Triumph: The Spiritual Journey from Suffering to Enlightenment
  • Shifting the Monkey: The Art of Protecting Good from Liars, Criers, and Other Slackers
  • One Word That Will Change Your Life
  • The Healing Path: How the Hurts in Your Past Can Lead You to a More Abundant Life
  • The On-Time, On-Target Manager: How a "Last-Minute Manager" Conquered Procrastination
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
  • The Four Desires: Creating a Life of Purpose, Happiness, Prosperity, and Freedom
  • How We Love Our Kids: The Five Love Styles of Parenting
  • The Living Landscape: Designing for Beauty and Biodeversity in the Home Garden
  • A Game Plan for Life: The Power of Mentoring
  • The Ecstasy of Surrender: 12 Surprising Ways Letting Go Can Empower Your Life
  • Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine
  • Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes
  • The Humane Economy: How Innovators and Enlightened Consumers Are Transforming the Lives of Animals
Jon Gordon is an American business consultant and author on the topics of leadership, culture, sales, and teamwork.

Jon Gordon's best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous NFL, NBA, and college coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, school districts, hospitals and non-profits. He is the author of The Wal
More about Jon Gordon...