Start by marking “The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work” as Want to Read:
The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work

The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  48 reviews
A business fable to help you discover your purpose in work and lifeNew from Jon Gordon, the international and "Wall Street Journal" bestselling author of "The Energy Bus," "The Seed" takes you on a quest for the meaning and passion behind work. Josh, an up-and-comer at his company, is disenchanted with his job. Challenged by his boss to take two weeks to decide if he reall ...more
Published April 27th 2011 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Seed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seed

Dana
I recommend this book to three types of people: 1) people who are unhappy with their work 2) people that are unhappy with themselves, and 3) people who are in their 20s, 30s, or 40s that don't know what to do with their lives. This tells the story of Josh and Dharma. Josh is the person, Dharma is a dog, and he (Josh) has lost his love of his job and of life. He has a meaningful encounter and then he has two weeks paid vacation to go find himself. I definitely recommend this book.
Becky
I liked the quick pace of this book, and the way it didn't appear to be cramming information into all available space. This is a patient book.

I'm seeing a theme in my reading, that I'm chasing the wrong things. The book Courage by Debbie Ford taught me that once you are wholly honest with yourself, the courage you seek will follow. Jon Gordon teaches that you don't pick an exciting life and step into it - you work hard where you are and that becomes very exciting.

I also like how he tied the proc
Gr8fullycre8ive
May 11, 2012 Gr8fullycre8ive rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Gr8fullycre8ive by: Stumbled upon it and glad I did
This book is magical! My life has changed after reading this book. It's like I have entered a positive portal and there is no going back. If you are trying to decide what to do with your life, I dare you to read this book and see what happens to you and the way your thinking changes. It is an easy read that will leave you more aware of the possibilities and connections that come your way.
Becky Carothers
Okay I like self-help books in some ways but someways I don't. This one was a great read. Instead of just telling you do's and dont's this tells a story. A young man finds himself learning from his boss that he has lost the passion for his job and he needs to find it again. What follows is a 2 week journey for Josh to find his purpose and happiness in his life and work.
Yelda
I’m always up for reading a book on one’s purpose in life. What spiritual reader isn’t? The problem is the topic has been overdone and the market flooded with such books. Purpose-inspired titles that I’ve read include: The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle and who can forget The Secret by Rhonda Byrne? But I’m left to wonder how the latest book on the topic can add anything new?

The Seed: Finding Purpo
Kevin Eikenberry
Josh is lethargic and can’t seem to muster much energy for his work anymore. This is so obvious that his boss offers him a two week paid leave of absence to determine if he wants to be there or not.

That is how the newest parable by Jon Gordon begins.

- See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/perso...
tikisha hayward
great

I have read many books but never have I read a book that meet me where I am and spoke to me in a way that I needed it and read the entire book. I had been asking God what is my purpose where should I be and here I find the answer.
Mtbike40
Jon Gordon has done it again. An excellent story that will change the way that you think about life. I have been an avid Jon Gordon fan since "The Energy Bus". I have been fighting energy vampires for the past 4 years and enjoying every day of it.

The Seed helps you learn how to find your true meaning. It is hard to break down all the facades that our society tells us is important and to find that which truly makes each of us happy. It is always interesting how the grass is greener somewhere els
Armatstorage
I liked the ideas presented, but not especially they way it was written. It's great to figure out what is most important to do and then do it!
There are 146 pages in the book. It's an easy read.
Eugene Kok
If you are ever at crossroads and wanting to find passion in what you do. Look for this book, this book is an eye opener. Whenever it comes to decisions in the working world, here are some major questions I learned that we all can ask. Have we done all we can to learn somemore? Is there anything else to improve there? It has re-reading value.
John Vanbrunt,

The story is simple. Josh, the main character, loses his passion for life and has becomes a burn out at work. His boss offers Josh two weeks’ vacation to figure things out. At the end of the two weeks, he must decide whether he wants to remain employed with the company or pack up his stuff and move on. During those two weeks off he learns a lot about himself.

Quotes from the book I enjoyed:

You don’t have to be great to make a difference. You just have to serve with great desire, and if you do, G
Delhi Irc
Location: GG7 IRC
Accession no: DL026709
Jon Kneifl
Excellent read for all ages
Paula.watson
Love the Positive Point of View! The positives ALWAYS outweigh the negative.
Paul
Kelly Haithcock
I really liked this book,enough to read it in one day. Again, like The No Complaining Rule, it was not earth shattering new things to learn, just restating things that should be in our every day thinking. There were quite a few lines I shared/highlighted that I want to go back and retread. It reminded me of why I took the my job when I did.
Will Hall
A guy didn't know his purpose in life and so his life wasn't as great as it could be. He meets this farmer and the farmer gives him a seed and tells him to come back and let him know when he thinks he knows where to plant the seed. In the end he goes back and tells the farmer that he thinks that he should plant his seed at his job.
Mike
A little on the touchy feely side (ok, a lot on the touchy feely side), but it was a good story for exploring the connection between purpose, happiness, and work. The stages of finding purpose include 1) Preparation 2) Planting 3) Growth 4) Harvest. This is a book that I will have to let sink in and probably re-read soon.
Corday
Really enjoyable, quick read. Raised many questions. Lots of resources online to supplement the reading/use for discussion purposes.
Dan Smith
Not a bad follow up to "The Energy Bus." This is a short easy read and though the point of the book is fairly intuitive I am sure most do not normally practice the wisdom. No mater if its life design or business design, understanding your purpose and staying true to that is key. This is a good read.
Kim
I enjoy books that address my career and how to be better in my career. This book delivers great insight in how to find your purpose and passion and get them going down the same path. Jon Gordon is such a positive writer and he is committed to sharing God's love with others through his writing.
Debbie
This book helps to reset your focus on living life with passion and purpose. It helped to remind me that "a life touches a life that touches a life" and to plant myself where I am and make a difference.
It was like his other books a quick read and enjoyable to read.

Lenear
The book was a great one. I read it in not that long. It was about a man that went through life dragging along. Then met a farmer and his whole life changed by the farmer giving him a seed. He had to plant the seed and find his purpose in life.
Jeremiah Eldridge
A guy named Joseph was saddened that he didn't have a purpose in his life. Then he met a farmer that gave him a seed and he planted where he thought his purpose was at. It is an amazing book and it could maybe help you in your life!
Paula Aycock
I just finished reading The Energy Bus, so now I am on to The Seed. I am absolutely loving reading Jon's books! :-) I want to thank my new school principal, Kara, for introducing his work to me!
Aimee
It's a cute short read. The book expresses a simple way to find your purpose. It made a few thoughtful points that I would say changed my life, and the way I think. I would recommend reading it.
Donald
Sometimes it is not easy founding your purpose, but this book is an excellent way to discover what drives you, where you belong and what you should be doing...recommend..
  • The Four Desires: Creating a Life of Purpose, Happiness, Prosperity, and Freedom
  • The Energies of Love: Using Energy Medicine to Keep Your Relationship Thriving
  • Happiness: Unlocking the Mysteries of Psychological Wealth
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • Dreaming the Soul Back Home: Shamanic Dreaming for Healing and Becoming Whole
  • Voice of the Earth: An Exploration of Ecopsychology
  • The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do
  • Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth
  • The On-Time, On-Target Manager: How a "Last-Minute Manager" Conquered Procrastination
  • My Philosophy for Successful Living
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • The Healing Path: How the Hurts in Your Past Can Lead You to a More Abundant Life
  • The Soft Edge: Where Great Companies Find Lasting Success
  • Your Road Map for Success: You Can Get There from Here
  • Polishing the Mirror: How to Live from Your Spiritual Heart
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • Clean Slate: A Cookbook and Guide: Reset Your Health, Detox Your Body, and Feel Your Best
  • Zappos Experience
Jon Gordon is an American business consultant and author on the topics of leadership, culture, sales, and teamwork.

Jon Gordon's best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous NFL, NBA, and college coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, school districts, hospitals and non-profits. He is the author of The Wal
More about Jon Gordon...
The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else The Positive Dog Soup: A Recipe to Nourish Your Team and Culture