Start by marking “The Soldier and the State Trooper (The Soldier and..., #1)” as Want to Read:
The Soldier and the State Trooper (The Soldier and..., #1)

The Soldier and the State Trooper (Soldier of the 569th #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Career soldier Christie Collins figured out early that love could be lost in the blink of an eye, leaving an empty place that was just another pothole on life’s rocky road. The detours of sudden single fatherhood and a nosy best friend who won’t let even death stop her from interfering in every date leave Christie convinced that finding a partner is next to impossible.
Stat
Published August 5th 2011 by MLR Press (first published July 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Soldier and the State Trooper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soldier and the State Trooper

Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
232nd out of 503 books — 1,002 voters
Among the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyWith Caution by J.L. LangleyCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceChange of Heart by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Paranormals
476th out of 707 books — 619 voters

More lists with this book...

Valentina Heart
This review was originally written for Hearts on Fire Reviews and can also be found there.

This is a somewhat long story about a soldier with a daughter, who has his quirks and more than enough problems but still prefers to look on the bright side of things. And it's a story about a State Trooper who knows exactly what he wants and has more than enough strength and persistence to get it.

The start of how Robert met Christie and Frankie was very funny, entertaining and almost tooth aching with all
Cherie Noel
May 26, 2011 Cherie Noel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, come on...of course I like this book. My boys are in it, and there's nothing better *right now* than Robert & Christie. LoL. Now you have to read it and tell me what YOU think. Be gentle babies. I don't wanna cry. :) Well, if you can be gentle, be helpful, and volunteer to beta for my next book...
Elisa Rolle
Romance in full swing. That is probably the entire review in 4 words, but I will add more, don’t worry. Christie (that despite the name and the looks is a man) is the unexpectedly single father of Frankie, unexpected since a) Christie is completely gay and b) he was supposed to be only the biological father, a favour he was doing to his best friend Caro and her partner Liss. But then Caro and Liss died in a car accident and Christie is the father of Frankie, and of course he has to take care of ...more
J
Enjoyable and provided some different contextual flavors. I liked it much that Robert and his family were practitioners of Wicca and it was refreshing to "hear" him invoke the "Goddess" the first time. The story also portrayed a temporal setting post-DADT where gay soldiers can be open and get married (loved that!).

I really liked Robert and Christie and their pairing. They fit. Wish to read more interaction between them, as their lives together unfold in the context of their jobs and family rela
MandyM
Not for me I'm afraid. Seemed to take sudden leaps forward in time and I was left wondering how the MC's got to that point in their relationship. Too many wacky characters. And I didn't like the ending. (view spoiler)
Thomas
I LOVE THIS BOOK MY DARLING CHERIE. CANT WAIT FOR MORE!!!
Allybaba
I really liked parts of this and I would have rated it 4 stars but then one of the MCs cheated... (depends on your definition of cheating I suppose) in the book it is defined as "temptation" but the MC does some heavy petting & kissing before he stops it (to me that's cheating...after all there was skin involved).

Now when this occurs in the story, something traumatic has occurred to him as part of his serving overseas, I think this is supposed to be the excuse and compelling event?? Anyway
Kadee
I didn't hate this story, but I feel like it could have been stronger. And shorter.

It starts out well enough with the characters meeting and getting together, and then time starts jumping around and skipping ahead. I feel like the reader misses out a lot in the author's race to reach the finish line.

Really, though, a lot of what happens when time starts jumping around could probably be stripped out entirely. Especially the cheating part. Just no. It was off putting and definitely colored my op
Candice
UGH! I hate to throw that 2 up there, but I had to. Why?

Did these two even date? Seriously the time jumps were all over the place. First date, turned into a 3rd date, turned into months later? (view spoiler) Next, let me get in on Ally and Frankie. Soooooo, Christie allows Ally to watch Frankie, yet Ally still needs a sitter according to Nikki?

If I hear or see "christ on a cracker" one more time I might
Sadonna
Lily Harlem
“Christ on a Cracker!” this is a good book. A great length that really allows you to get into the heads of the characters, full of romance and passion, with the added addition of the sexiness of men in uniform, a little paranormal and a smattering of jealousy.
Christie is a soldier, but no ordinary soldier, he’s also a single father and hears the dead mother of his child talking to him, but not in a creepy way, she’s kind of like his guardian angel, she knows him well and wants happiness for him
Pilar
Overall I enjoyed the book. The fact that the main characters would get engaged without knowing some of the formative aspects of their lives was a little disturbing. Also, there seemed to be a significant gap between the one Christie telling Robert about his deployment and suddenly finding yourself during the actual deployment. The other thing I didn't like about this book was the abrupt ending. In some ways I realize why the author did this, but I genuinely turned the page expecting a continuat ...more
Adara
There are so many things I didn't like, from the writing (felt like too many unnecessary adjectives in the beginning), to the story (felt like time was jumping around with no rhyme or reason as to what was hit or skipped over), to the pacing, to too much sex, to the way too repetitive use of 'Christ on a cracker', to the unexpected and weird paranormal element in an otherwise mostly contemporary story, that I'm just going to say I didn't like it and stop there.

The middle, when Christie was over
Melora
I went into this expecting a fully contemporary read and was struck with paranormal right off the bat. Granted it was just a dollop of otherworldliness, but I didn't think the story needed it. Caro's presence and opinions could have been demonstrated in non-ghostly ways. I also felt like I was reading small vignettes within Robert and Christie's lives rather than a continuously flowing story depicting their relationship. I know a lot of stories are just small bits making up a whole, but here it ...more
Sandy Neal
Oct 04, 2011 Sandy Neal rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gay males who like sexy stories
This was a well-written erotic m/m book that I would not have picked up to read. It is a love story with explicit gay sex (I learned a few things) but with a story illustrating what it might be like in the military as a single parent and gay male. Being a first, this soldier has others intrude on his personal plans and he is in a position to offend his superiors if he and his partner do not allow this.

This book has universal themes of finding love as a single parent, juggling work and parenting
Stacey Jo
Trooper Robert met Christie, a soldier in the military, when he gave him a ticket. It was immediate attraction for both of them but they figured the other was straight. They meet again and end up having a date and their relationship builds from there. Frankie, Christie's infant daughter adds another dimension to the relationship. We also find out that Christie can talk to Frankie's deceased mother and his best friend. Christie gets deployed so Robert is busy planning events for his return and ra ...more
Suzette
This was my first experience reading Cherie's work and I truly enjoyed the story. It was told from an interesting perspective in which you knew each character personally.

The events and trials of the characters were very real and Ms. Noel had an excellent grasp of what military life is like as well as writing style.

I highly recommend this book, it is fun, crisp, adventureous and heart warming.
Lauraadriana
2.5 Stars

This was cute and a bit funny story. It was a bit wacky at times and the plot took some turns that I was not very comfortable with. That being said the characters were very likeable, for the most part. And I AM A SUCKER for family stories.

OkayKim
I really like this one. It was cute and funny and if this had better editing in some areas of the story it would have made it a 5 star read. Just kind of got thrown off in a few places while reading.
I do expect a sequel!!!!
Amara
My rating: 3 1/2 stars

Review can be found on my blog here: Amara's Place
Ericka Walden
Great story! Wishing for a follow up !!!
Wax
Wax marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Densha
Densha marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Dee
Dee added it
Jun 10, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
texasmoocow
texasmoocow marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sexy New M/M Romance From Cherie Noel 1 7 Aug 06, 2011 09:16AM
  • Unassumed (Tate Pack, #4)
  • Faith, Trust, and Stardust (Haven, #2)
  • Adwaka's Blade (Lady Blue Crew, #4)
  • Side-Lined (Campus Cravings, #2)
  • A Present in Swaddling Clothes
  • On Fire II: Still Burning (On Fire, #2)
  • The Book Of Daniel (St. Nacho's, #4)
  • A Tri Omega Mates Christmas
  • The Link That Binds (Solomon's Pride, #2)
  • Why I Love Waiters (Why I Love... #2)
  • Honored Vow (Change of Heart, #3)
Butcher, baker, candlestick maker…ummm, eww, every chance I get, and I surely would if these damn characters would ever shut up. Born in West Palm Beach, Florida and raised…er, is all over the damn place a sufficiently descriptive term? No? Then how about this? Tinker, tailor, Indian chief…Ooooh, especially when smexy men are involved (!), only under duress, and did the cheek-bones give it away?
S
More about Cherie Noel...

Soldier of the 569th (2 books)
  • Cuddle Time Chicken Soup (Soldier of the 569th #1.5)
Kiss and Tell Quality Control Tian's Hero (The Akanti #1) Incongruent Angel The Counterfeit Claus (Rescue Twinks, #1)