Start by marking “The Demon of Walker's Woods” as Want to Read:
The Demon of Walker's Woods

The Demon of Walker's Woods

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From the collection, "Demons and Other Inconveniences"

We all have demons. This man has lived with his for thirty years. An envelope from an old friend holds an obituary that should bring him closure. As he shares memories of the old woman who lived down the street from his childhood home, he's not sure it will.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Demon of Walker's Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon of Walker's Woods

Meghan
(short story)

This was a short story I found months ago (a whole slew of his stuff was on sale for free on Amazon and I grabbed them because the stories sounded interesting), but then somehow forgot about them (there are lots on my Kindle, so this is easily understood). I decided that since it is a month of horrors, to pull 'em out and give 'em a read - and noticed that, sadly, and for some unknown reason, that this one is no longer available on Amazon. Too bad because it is one that I would reco...more
Cathy
Long short story.
Kids can have a wild imagination when it comes to making up stories about the crazy old woman who lives next door. But maybe their imagination isn't enough!
Today must have been Dan Dillard Day. I knocked out 5 of his short stories. He's a talented writer. He describes himself as "a normal guy. My brain just doesn't rattle quite right." That's true. But that weird rattle created great horror/suspense stories and he can turn a nice phrase. An example:
An old crusty cyclone fence li...more
Arielle
Well, this had some potential, but overall I found it completely unbelievable, and I like a bit of a chance that a story could really happen to make it good and scary. How could the "demon" have done what it did? This is a good candidate for a re-write, perhaps utilizing a few more handymen.
Brandi Salazar
Yet another great story! This one reminded me of a cross between a children's fairytale and the movie Stand By Me, namely because of the summertime adventure and the friendship the children otherwise would not have had they still been in school, separated by clicks and whatnot.

I have to say, this story gave me a good creep out. The descriptions were fantastic and the relationship between the children, their thought processes and so on took me back to when I was little. Dillard really captured t...more
Kathy
An old lady in the neighborhood who lives alone and never leaves her house. A teenager who disappears one night. A younger brother who "knows" what happened to him. Very creepy.
Jennifer Wardrip
Most neighborhoods have one - a decrepit house on a deserted corner, inhabited by a smelly, scary old woman who children have been told eats those who stray into her yard. When a group of kids spend their summer watching the Demon Woman of Walker's Woods, they're intent on finding out what rumors are true and what is false. But in the end, what their imaginations thought up might not even be close to the horrifying truth. This is a creepy, creepy story! If you're a fan of horror tales, be sure t...more
Elva
writing from the kid's point of view made it all the creepier. but there were holes in the wrap-up: for example, what happened to the van? was anyone else ever reported missing?

still, the writer is very skilled in writing about family dynamics (the way his parents coped / couldn't cope with a missing child) and how he described his neighborhood friends, making a distinction between them and school friends.

this was a decent story, though.
Ketty
I really liked this short story and thought it could have easily been a novel. The writing reminded me a lot of Stephen King's "It", one of my all-time favorite novels. I look forward to reading more from Dan Dillard.
Naomi
I must say that this was kind of cool and creepy. I really enjoyed it. It had an air of "Stand by Me" with the boys in the clubhouse, yet the old lady brought a really nice touch to the book!
Jack
Loved this short story. Reminds me of King's "It". It's a story of an evil old lady living in a decrepit old scary house. Every small town has one at least. Good read!
Andy

I love stories about kids on summer vacation. There was a long buildup for such a short story. The ending was a bit simplistic.
Rosann
well, it was better than my last book..
Rob Wilcox
A good little story.
Tish
What a great story!
Denise R. Jackson-Holder
Denise R. Jackson-Holder marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Tonja Westbrooks
Tonja Westbrooks marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Glynn James
Glynn James marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Just write!
Dan writes. Well, actually, he types... so he's more of a typist than a writer. If he's any good at it is really up to you, and none of his business.

Leave a review, seriously, it's okay.

Dan lives in small town Midwest and writes when he isn't working, hanging out with the family or creating something for his annual Halloween party. He owes his imagination to his two beautiful children,...more
More about Dan Dillard...
Unlucky In Death Pig Man Out, Damned Spot Demons and Other Inconveniences Quid Pro Quo