How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum

How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Acclaimed author/illustrator Jessie Hartland presents the fascinating 145-million-year journey of a dinsoaur: a Diplodocus longus, from its discovery in 1923 in Utah to its arrival in the hallowed halls of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C.
Published October 11th 2013 by Blue Apple Books (first published September 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum

Michelle
Informational/Concept/Predictable.
Themes- dinosaurs, discovery, museums, processes
Classroom use- Supplement a dinosaur unit with this book and a discussion of the variety of jobs involved in bringing a dinosaur to a museum, discuss fossils and casts; have a project day where students learn the vocab words in the book by participating in stations for each job. students can take turns 'discovering' fossils in plaster and sand, excavating, transporting, cleaning, assembling, and displaying them in...more
Text and illustrations have an extra partnership in this book. There is an echo of "The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" in Hartland's prose, as each profession builds on the work of others to put a fossil on exhibit, and each job title is inserted into the text with a sign designed in a way that's appropriate for that job ... It's hard to explain, but as soon as you see it, you'll understand. These design clues help beginning readers track difficult-yet-interesting words like "paleontologist," and...more
Jennifer Clausen-greene

About the Book:

My Review:

I will start off by saying that this book does not take a young earth creation point of view, so depending upon what you are teaching your children, you may want to tread lightly. That being said,...more
Elizabeth
Once the reader is past the first few pages of fact spewing, the meat of the book begins. Hartland describes how dinosaur fossils were found in Utah goes through each step and person who helps get it on display at the Smithsonian. The focus on the individual steps and people shows the reader just how massive the project is. Hartland also starts repeating phrases here, which is good for picture books and helping the reader remember the story after the book is finished. Each person or group of peo...more
Teacher.
This Non-Fiction gem starts off with a curious young boy who only wants to know how a Diplodocus Dinosaur skeleton came to be at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington Museum. The story starts in with the live Diplodocus taking readers through the fossilization process. The rest of the story goes through a ‘House that Jack Built’ type story that repeats the steps that the Smithsonian went through to secure and restore the Diplodocus skeleton. The text is both fun and informational, using real voc...more
This is a super easy read that describes every job preformed in getting a dinosaur to a museum from finding and excavating all the way to reassembling and displaying the skeleton. Each page provides a new occupation that builds upon the last until you have a full picture of just what is involved in the process. Would be a great book to read before taking kids on a visit to a natural history museum.
Emily
Wonderfully-drawn, brilliantly-written, this supercool easy nonfiction book would be a great read-aloud before visiting a natural history museum (either individually or on a class field trip). It anticipates and satisfies kids' curiosity, and introduces not just the most well-known dino-related occupation (paleontologist), but all the others that contribute to the process of getting a dinosaur's bones to a museum, and reassembled and exhibited there (preparators, welders, curators, excavators, r...more
Teri
This was a great book that explains how the dinosaurs actually get to the museum. There are so many people involved, and I think the book did a great job of showing my students all the steps and work it takes to get the work done.
Emily
a must have for every children's library... all kiddos (in my opinion) want to know how this happened. A great explanation, plus, an awesome list of careers for little ones who LOVE dinosaurs.
Bari
My 4 year old nephew is interested in dinosaurs and loves books. On a recent visit to NYC, we took him to see the Dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History. As many boys his age are, he is fascinated with dinosaurs.

This book is perfect for any child that wonders how dinosaurs ended up at a museum. Many children know how dinosaurs lived many, many years ago and maybe they wonder how the dinosaurs got to be in a museum. If so, this book is for them?

School Library Journal gave it rave reviews, s...more
Courtney
Good book to help explain to elementary students the different jobs in a museum and how artifacts end up on display.
Theresa
This book explained how people transport dinosaur fossils into a museum. It highlighted he journey of a Diplodocus from Utah till its arrival at the DC museum. I thought it was interesting because there are a lot of books about the history of dinosaurs but I haven't seen many about how we see them today. This book included information about how fossils formed and how the dinosaurs lived. It also includes additional websites in case a child is interested. It is also fun to read. I would recommend...more
Cheyenne
This is a really good book about the process dinosaurs take from living to displayed in museums.
Deb Tyo
*A fantastic book to read before a class trip to the museum.

*Loosely mimics structure of "This is the House That Jack Built".

*Vivid verbs - amassed, restored, stabilized, authenticated, reconstructed, obtained, excavated, shellacked, certified, scouted, validated, chiseled...

*Includes the tasks of ... the Director, the Cleaners, the Exhibits Team, the Riggers, the Welders, the Night Watchman, the Preparators, the Paleontologists, the Curator, the Movers, the Excavators, and the Dinosaur Hunter.
Angie
Great nonfiction picture book on dinosaurs. I love the repetitive mimicry of the text. This is a very good look at how a dinosaur would go from being alive to being on exhibit in a museum...no detail is to minor (even the night watchman tripping on the dinosaur's tail is included). I love all the detail in the illustrations and I think kids will pour over the pictures. Great book to read before visiting a museum or before a unit on dinosaurs or just because you love dinosaurs.
Melissa
Enjoyable step by step! LOVE the vocabulary. While each link is repeated (unpacked by the preparators, packed in wagons by the movers, uncovered by the excavators, etc) the words are not exactly the same. This means that the paleontologist doesn't just "confirm" the findings: on other pages he identified, verified, authenticated, validated, certified, checked closely, or examined. Wow. Also, props for including the night watchman.
Karen Arendt
Perfect! A fun look at how dinosaurs lived, became extinct, were discovered and the bones put back together for a museum. With the repeating lines the story follows The House that Jack Built. Kids will enjoy repeating each part of the refrain. Use this book in a lesson with a virtual field trip to a museum that has dinosaurs.
Daniel
grade:2-4
topic:dinosour

this book tells the brief process of how the dinosaur can be displayed at the museum.
GREAT illustration!

Children who likes dinosaur will LOVE this book!
this book gives you step by step process!

each job is highlighted so children can recognize it easily .

MsDelia
My 8yr old and 5yr old LOVED this book. Amazing story of how the Diplodocus got from Utah to the Smithsonian, but the history is broken down to all the different jobs and people required. Made us want to take a trip! and check out the other book by same author "How the Sphinx...."
Wendy Garland
In true "old lady who swallowed a fly" fashion this book takes you through the steps of how the discovered dinosaur bones made it to the museum. A fantastic look at the many steps the fossils undergo before reaching exhibit stage.
Carol
How interesting! I think I've learned more from children's non-fiction like this than I have from any adult non-fiction. Just as good as "How the Sphinx Got to the Museum." Kind of makes me wish I was a curator at a museum:)
Diana Pettis
I read this to Xander and he enjoyed learning about the process of bringing a dinosaur skeleton to a museum. I would use this book as a read-aloud with students in grades K-2.

Scarlet
This book would be great to use before a museum trip. Talking about how dinosaurs go from being found by an archaeologist to a museum and everything in-between.
Carrie Gelson
Love this style - great way to build vocabulary and also to understand the complexity of how a dinosaur exhibit is erected.
Kate Conley
Did you know a dinosaur bone will stick to your tongue because it is porous?! Neat NF read!
Amy
Cute! Loved the idea behind the story and will try it with my book group.
Randall
I liked the night watchman tripped over the bones.
Lynn
Better for upper elementary dino fanatics.
PWRL
Apr 11, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Dana Beyer
Dana Beyer marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bon Appetit! The Delicious Life of Julia Child How the Sphinx Got to the Museum How the Meteorite Got to the Museum Night Shift Clementine Visits the City