Start by marking “How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum” as Want to Read:
How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum

How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum

Acclaimed author/illustrator Jessie Hartland presents the fascinating 145-million-year journey of a dinsoaur: a Diplodocus longus, from its discovery in 1923 in Utah to its arrival in the hallowed halls of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C.
Published October 11th 2013 by Blue Apple Books (first published September 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum

Lynda
Mar 17, 2017 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Lots of illustrations and interesting details about the process of finding, excavating, preparing and displaying dinosaur fossils.
Jennifer Clausen-greene
Mar 19, 2013 Jennifer Clausen-greene rated it it was amazing

About the Book:

My Review:

I will start off by saying that this book does not take a young earth creation point of view, so depending upon what you are teaching your children, you may want to tread lightly. That being said,
Jun 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Text and illustrations have an extra partnership in this book. There is an echo of "The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" in Hartland's prose, as each profession builds on the work of others to put a fossil on exhibit, and each job title is inserted into the text with a sign designed in a way that's appropriate for that job ... It's hard to explain, but as soon as you see it, you'll understand. These design clues help beginning readers track difficult-yet-interesting words like "paleontologist," and ...more
Teacher.
Sep 21, 2012 Teacher. rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
This Non-Fiction gem starts off with a curious young boy who only wants to know how a Diplodocus Dinosaur skeleton came to be at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington Museum. The story starts in with the live Diplodocus taking readers through the fossilization process. The rest of the story goes through a ‘House that Jack Built’ type story that repeats the steps that the Smithsonian went through to secure and restore the Diplodocus skeleton. The text is both fun and informational, using real voc ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 13, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Once the reader is past the first few pages of fact spewing, the meat of the book begins. Hartland describes how dinosaur fossils were found in Utah goes through each step and person who helps get it on display at the Smithsonian. The focus on the individual steps and people shows the reader just how massive the project is. Hartland also starts repeating phrases here, which is good for picture books and helping the reader remember the story after the book is finished. Each person or group of peo ...more
Emily
Wonderfully-drawn, brilliantly-written, this supercool easy nonfiction book would be a great read-aloud before visiting a natural history museum (either individually or on a class field trip). It anticipates and satisfies kids' curiosity, and introduces not just the most well-known dino-related occupation (paleontologist), but all the others that contribute to the process of getting a dinosaur's bones to a museum, and reassembled and exhibited there (preparators, welders, curators, excavators, r ...more
Sally
Jun 08, 2015 Sally rated it it was amazing
We struggled with pronouncing Diplodocus the first few pages, but it veritably flew off our tongues by the last page. Brilliant use of repetitive/predictable story-telling for the older-than-3 crowd. I had no idea it took that many years to prepare a dinosaur fossil skeleton, nor the engineering that goes behind rigging them for display.

Little and I now have a firm grasp on the articulation and responsibilities of excavators, preparators and paleontologists. Gotta love a children's book that ge
Bari
Mar 01, 2012 Bari rated it really liked it
My 4 year old nephew is interested in dinosaurs and loves books. On a recent visit to NYC, we took him to see the Dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History. As many boys his age are, he is fascinated with dinosaurs.

This book is perfect for any child that wonders how dinosaurs ended up at a museum. Many children know how dinosaurs lived many, many years ago and maybe they wonder how the dinosaurs got to be in a museum. If so, this book is for them?

School Library Journal gave it rave reviews, s
Publisher: Blue Apple Books
Date: 2013
Genre: Nonfiction
IBSN: 1609050908

This is a great book about how dinosaurs are found. It was such rich vocabulary. It walks students through the process of how we find dinosaur bones and excavate them to put into museums. This would be wonderful for a student really interested in dinosaurs. It is a very engaging story with lots of repetition. All the vocabulary words are highlighted and it explains each one in
Theresa
Apr 01, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book explained how people transport dinosaur fossils into a museum. It highlighted he journey of a Diplodocus from Utah till its arrival at the DC museum. I thought it was interesting because there are a lot of books about the history of dinosaurs but I haven't seen many about how we see them today. This book included information about how fossils formed and how the dinosaurs lived. It also includes additional websites in case a child is interested. It is also fun to read. I would recommend ...more
Deb Tyo
Nov 20, 2011 Deb Tyo rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
*A fantastic book to read before a class trip to the museum.

*Loosely mimics structure of "This is the House That Jack Built".

*Vivid verbs - amassed, restored, stabilized, authenticated, reconstructed, obtained, excavated, shellacked, certified, scouted, validated, chiseled...

*Includes the tasks of ... the Director, the Cleaners, the Exhibits Team, the Riggers, the Welders, the Night Watchman, the Preparators, the Paleontologists, the Curator, the Movers, the Excavators, and the Dinosaur Hunter.
Michelle
Jul 28, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: edsl-520
Informational/Concept/Predictable.
Themes- dinosaurs, discovery, museums, processes
Classroom use- Supplement a dinosaur unit with this book and a discussion of the variety of jobs involved in bringing a dinosaur to a museum, discuss fossils and casts; have a project day where students learn the vocab words in the book by participating in stations for each job. students can take turns 'discovering' fossils in plaster and sand, excavating, transporting, cleaning, assembling, and displaying them in
The Styling Librarian
How the Dinosaur Got To The Museum by Jessie Hartland – (The story of a 145 million-year journey from the Jurassic plains of Utah to the halls of the Smithsonian Institution) – Non-fiction – This is quite the well written read aloud. Love the pattern style and fats shared throughout. Glad to add this book to the library. Think it is a perfect example of quality word choice and fantastic illustrations as well…
Angie
Feb 14, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Great nonfiction picture book on dinosaurs. I love the repetitive mimicry of the text. This is a very good look at how a dinosaur would go from being alive to being on exhibit in a museum...no detail is to minor (even the night watchman tripping on the dinosaur's tail is included). I love all the detail in the illustrations and I think kids will pour over the pictures. Great book to read before visiting a museum or before a unit on dinosaurs or just because you love dinosaurs.
Melissa
Enjoyable step by step! LOVE the vocabulary. While each link is repeated (unpacked by the preparators, packed in wagons by the movers, uncovered by the excavators, etc) the words are not exactly the same. This means that the paleontologist doesn't just "confirm" the findings: on other pages he identified, verified, authenticated, validated, certified, checked closely, or examined. Wow. Also, props for including the night watchman.
Mar 29, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a super easy read that describes every job preformed in getting a dinosaur to a museum from finding and excavating all the way to reassembling and displaying the skeleton. Each page provides a new occupation that builds upon the last until you have a full picture of just what is involved in the process. Would be a great book to read before taking kids on a visit to a natural history museum.
Shae
Jul 30, 2015 Shae rated it it was amazing
Picture book -- We read this on the way to the Natural History Museum to see the dinosaur exhibit. Very visual, with simple description of how dinosaur bones got into the ground and then back out to a museum, and appropriate repetition of job titles of the people involved. I would definitely use this book again in a dinosaur unit.
Salsabrarian
Describes the journey that dinosaur bones make from discovery to museum showpiece, and all the workers involved in the process such as paleontologist, preparator, curator, and rigger. Lively and accessible for young children who will pick up lots of info and new vocabulary. Share this before a museum visit to see the dinosaurs.
Karen Arendt
Apr 27, 2012 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
Perfect! A fun look at how dinosaurs lived, became extinct, were discovered and the bones put back together for a museum. With the repeating lines the story follows The House that Jack Built. Kids will enjoy repeating each part of the refrain. Use this book in a lesson with a virtual field trip to a museum that has dinosaurs.
Daniel
Oct 16, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
grade:2-4
topic:dinosour

this book tells the brief process of how the dinosaur can be displayed at the museum.
GREAT illustration!

Children who likes dinosaur will LOVE this book!
this book gives you step by step process!

each job is highlighted so children can recognize it easily .

Carol
Jan 11, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
How interesting! I think I've learned more from children's non-fiction like this than I have from any adult non-fiction. Just as good as "How the Sphinx Got to the Museum." Kind of makes me wish I was a curator at a museum:)
Wendy Garland
Aug 06, 2012 Wendy Garland rated it really liked it
In true "old lady who swallowed a fly" fashion this book takes you through the steps of how the discovered dinosaur bones made it to the museum. A fantastic look at the many steps the fossils undergo before reaching exhibit stage.
Teri
Mar 04, 2014 Teri rated it really liked it
This was a great book that explains how the dinosaurs actually get to the museum. There are so many people involved, and I think the book did a great job of showing my students all the steps and work it takes to get the work done.
MsDelia
Jul 19, 2013 MsDelia rated it it was amazing
My 8yr old and 5yr old LOVED this book. Amazing story of how the Diplodocus got from Utah to the Smithsonian, but the history is broken down to all the different jobs and people required. Made us want to take a trip! and check out the other book by same author "How the Sphinx...."
Christy
Sep 13, 2016 Christy rated it it was amazing
Scarlet
Nov 30, 2011 Scarlet rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, animals
This book would be great to use before a museum trip. Talking about how dinosaurs go from being found by an archaeologist to a museum and everything in-between.
Diana Pettis
Aug 28, 2012 Diana Pettis rated it liked it
I read this to Xander and he enjoyed learning about the process of bringing a dinosaur skeleton to a museum. I would use this book as a read-aloud with students in grades K-2.

Carrie Gelson
Feb 11, 2013 Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it
Love this style - great way to build vocabulary and also to understand the complexity of how a dinosaur exhibit is erected.
Courtney
Sep 15, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Good book to help explain to elementary students the different jobs in a museum and how artifacts end up on display.
Kate Conley
Mar 04, 2012 Kate Conley rated it really liked it
Did you know a dinosaur bone will stick to your tongue because it is porous?! Neat NF read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Egg: Nature's Perfect Package
  • Boy, Were  We Wrong About Dinosaurs!
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
  • Mama Built a Little Nest