What You Wish for

What You Wish for

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  761 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Fern Michaels has entertained millions of readers with her deeply-involving contemporary novels including "Celebration, Yesterday, " and her recent "New York Times" bestseller, "Finders Keepers." Now, she delivers her most exciting story yet: the breathtaking tale of a woman on the run who's given the chance for a whole new life... What You Wish For

If her abusive husband h...more
Published July 1st 2001 by Zebra Books (first published 2000)

Stacey Peery
Not much plot. Slow to start. Eventually picks up around disk 5 or 6. Not my usual go to romance novel.
Julie Barrett
What You Wish For by Fern Michaels
This book starts out with Helan and she's married to Daniel. Everything is perfect in their life if you consider him beating her every time he wants her to do something. She finally has had enough when he tosses the dog and she's a breath away from being dead.
She is able to defend herself and runs into the street where a passerby takes her to the local vet. He takes her in, cares for the dog and gets a woman to take care of her injuries. She moves them into a wo...more
Kathy
Carol
Interesting story about a woman who leaves her abusive husband by entering a program similar to the witness protection program. It was a little too easy, though...everything was just given to her--medical care, a new identity, a new job, a completely and tastefully decorated fully furnished apartment, even down to the fully stocked pantry and a computer, a car, money in the bank, and, of course, her beloved dog was able to come with her and received advanced veterinary care. Maybe that is done w...more
PJ
It was fast-paced, going back and forth between different people in the story. It was about a woman who lived with her abusive husband. The subject was hard to read about at times. The worst part for me was all the cuss words. I realized that abuse comes with a lot of verbal abuse and cussing, as well. It just made me MORE uncomfortable to read those words while reading about an uncomfortable subject.

Of course, in the end, it all works out hunky-dory, except for the abuser. I just don't think I...more
Jane (PS)
Audiobook: Narrated by Laurel Merlington

Impression so far: extremely cliched and full of pathos! Not sure I'll make it to the end of this audio...

Narration - very flat tones.

I'm DNFing this one (did not finish). I'm just not interested in Helen Stanley aka Helen Ward aka Nancy BlingBong (or whatever it is)... Because I've given up at 1/3 of the way through, I'm doing the courteous thing and not rating this book a 1 star.
Yaa
What you wish for is a story about an abused wife who escaped from her marriage when her husband injures her dog. She is placed in a women shelter where she is looked after and given a new life. But all is not rosy because her husband sets out to find her.

Urhh. This novel was to predictable. I knew exactly what would happen in every single chapter. The characters were one dimensional and i felt no connection to any of them.
Barbara
Good enough story. Not a great ending. Could have had more suspense. There were certainly some good set up situations, but the author wasted all of those.
The author sure wrapped up the drama quickly and weakly, seemed like she wanted to get to the sex instead.

That Izzy was an icky piece of work.

Love the smart dogs. The author should do more with them.

Doubt that that toy would be so successful.
Amylou1977
this was a good story that i enjoyed reading,
it is about:
If her abusive husband hadn't tried to kill her and her beloved dog Lucie, Helen Ward might never have left her million-dollar home and run far away. Now Helen's changed her identity and moved across the country, hopeful that she can be safe, happy, maybe even loved.
Casandra
What you wish for by Fern Michaels is a touching book. It is about a woman who is abused by her husband, and gets out. She then makes a new life of her own, but she always fears her husband will find her. I liked this book, but it dragged on and on, and I read it all, but the last half did drag.
Carol
A look inside the life of battered women shelters and one woman who eventually found the courage to fight back. Two adorable dogs, a worthy hero, and some interesting characters. Occaisionally, the story took a leap forward in time that was somewhat confusing, but a satisfying ending.
Angie crosby
This book pulled me right in, before I knew it, I had finished half the book. Great subject, great storyline however........... The dialogue in this book was off. It wasn't how people would normally speak. That made the dialogue parts hard to read.
Nancy
I thought it was a good story. One of the reviewers wrote about the story changing, and made things confused. I found the same thing, but I was able to shift with the story. The shifts weren't seamless.
Kelly Durkee-erwin
Graphically violent description of domestic violence but the story is great!
Excellent pace of writing, story, and romance.
Karleen Brennan Turchin
Loved this book. I haven't read Fern Michaels books in a long time and plan on checking out her other books.
Cecilia Mintz
This book got me hooked on Fern Michaels. I love how her women characters are all very strong and independent.
Melissa
I loved this book so much that I lost sleep while listening to it. I wanted to listen more and sleep less!
Karen
Lots of twists and turns....wanted to shake her sometimes, but at least she was finally able to take a stand!
Margaret Fraleigh
Excellent story - couldn't put it down - mystery, love story. Fern Michaels is an awesome author.
Hubjeanne
Just a total waste. Nice story line but lacked depth or something. So glad it is finished.
Sue Weisbrod kinsey
Descriptive story of abused women - had me hooked yet much was predictable. I enjoyed reading it.
Lucy Bilik
Very interesting book of spousal abuse and survival
Tiffany
Horrible! I don't know how this book got published.
Jeanne Schalko fransway
boring ending considering how good ist started out.
Melissa
I liked this book more than I thought I would.
Vicki
Abused wife leaves husband, not very well written
Krystal
Didn't finish it, too predictable.
Shawna
This was a great read.
  • The Matchmakers
  • Knit Two Together (Chicks with Sticks, #2)
  • Frog Goes to Dinner
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • The Sea Serpent and Me
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • Untied: A Memoir of Family, Fame, and Floundering
  • Doctor Dolittle (Junior Classics)
  • Wrecked  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #13)
  • Parking Lot Hero (A Powers of Love Story)
  • The Game from Where I Stand: A Ballplayer's Inside View
  • Honor Thyself
  • Tangled Vines
  • The Carousel
  • When Santa Fell To Earth
  • Who Cloned the President? (Capital Mysteries #1)
  • Jump!
  • Where You Belong
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I...more
More about Fern Michaels...
Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) Payback (Sisterhood, #2) Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3) The Jury (Sisterhood, #4) Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)