Start by marking “What You Wish for” as Want to Read:
What You Wish for

What You Wish for

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,108 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Fern Michaels has entertained millions of readers with her deeply-involving contemporary novels including "Celebration, Yesterday, " and her recent "New York Times" bestseller, "Finders Keepers." Now, she delivers her most exciting story yet: the breathtaking tale of a woman on the run who's given the chance for a whole new life... What You Wish For

If her abusive husband h
Published July 1st 2001 by Zebra Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about What You Wish for, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What You Wish for

Stacey Peery
Not much plot. Slow to start. Eventually picks up around disk 5 or 6. Not my usual go to romance novel.
Julie Barrett
What You Wish For by Fern Michaels
This book starts out with Helan and she's married to Daniel. Everything is perfect in their life if you consider him beating her every time he wants her to do something. She finally has had enough when he tosses the dog and she's a breath away from being dead.
She is able to defend herself and runs into the street where a passerby takes her to the local vet. He takes her in, cares for the dog and gets a woman to take care of her injuries. She moves them into a wo
Regena Varvoutis
Not good

This was the worst written books I have read. Things jump around oddly. Several times I read pages again to see if I'd missed something that would explain an event; but no it just wasn't there. I'm swearing off reading any more books by this author.
Stephanie Atterbury
Dialogue is so unrealistic & corny. 'Gee, golly. I'd like to make love to you.' Ugh! 'You're one of the best veterinarians around, if you can't do it, no one can.'

Main character is annoying; complaining so much about the rescuers who have her a new life, caring so much about her new name, (wanting her old one back which came from her abusive/neglectful mom) & when she took her love's dog on the road. It all made no sense and lose empathy for someone we should be rooting to overcome her

The romance genre just is not my cup of tea and and about the last thing I usually want to read. That being said, if I am even going to consider a romance I want it to be written by Fern Michaels! I try to read everything written by her alter ego, Nora Roberts and I think Mrs. Michaels is the best at what she does. I was hooked on this book in the first paragraph, how often does that happen!?! Possibly the most captivating characters were the puppies! I absolutely
Interesting story about a woman who leaves her abusive husband by entering a program similar to the witness protection program. It was a little too easy, though...everything was just given to her--medical care, a new identity, a new job, a completely and tastefully decorated fully furnished apartment, even down to the fully stocked pantry and a computer, a car, money in the bank, and, of course, her beloved dog was able to come with her and received advanced veterinary care. Maybe that is done w ...more
I enjoyed reading about the NJ turnpike and Woodbridge, route 1, etc! I agree with other reviews that some of the dialogue seemed fake. However, the story had a great beach book plot. It's no award winning book, but I guiltily admit I thoroughly enjoyed it. Oh, and I loved the animals as an integral part of the story!
Valerie Marshall
An interesting romance novel dealing with a serious and timely subject matter.

I enjoyed the novel it dealt with the subject of spousal abuse in a realistic manner. It gave insight into the thinking and emotions of both the abused and the abuser. It was an intense read.

This book is about a very serious subject- domestic abuse. It's a good read, sometimes silly, some romance- overall an enjoyable story, but it covers spousal violence at the same time.
The dogs are adorable- loving and giving.
Vicki Lanzendorf
I didn't know what to expect when I started this book. There was drama, mystery, romance, intrigue. It kept me wondering what was next and kept me turning the pages. A look at something I know very little about - abuse - that gave me chills.
It was fast-paced, going back and forth between different people in the story. It was about a woman who lived with her abusive husband. The subject was hard to read about at times. The worst part for me was all the cuss words. I realized that abuse comes with a lot of verbal abuse and cussing, as well. It just made me MORE uncomfortable to read those words while reading about an uncomfortable subject.

Of course, in the end, it all works out hunky-dory, except for the abuser. I just don't think I
Listened to What You Wish For by Fern Michaels
If her abusive husband had not tried to kill her and her beloved dog, Helen Ward might never have left her million dollar home and run far away. Now, Helen's changed her identity and moved across the country, hopeful that she can be safe, happy, maybe even loved. And when she meets college professor Sam Tolliver, she begins to believe fairy tales do come true. But the past is catching up with Helen - and her fear is growing. Soon, she'll have to fac
Sunflower Jamison
Excellent Book

This book is so good. This is the first book I have read by this author and I plan to read many more.
Awful writing style. I had to keep going back to see if I missed something. Jumps all over the place.
A good story about a bad subject!
Rachel Graft
This was a great book from the start. At first I was a little worried about reading a book on domestic abuse , this book will show you the strength to move forward with the help of some 4 footed canines - Lucie & Max & the love of a special man. Great book !!!
Lindsay Nelson
A nice read. Sad and suspenseful, but a great story about relationships.
Cheryl Cheevers
Loved this book. I could not put it down.
great book for the holiday
Jane (PS)
Audiobook: Narrated by Laurel Merlington

Impression so far: extremely cliched and full of pathos! Not sure I'll make it to the end of this audio...

Narration - very flat tones.

I'm DNFing this one (did not finish). I'm just not interested in Helen Stanley aka Helen Ward aka Nancy BlingBong (or whatever it is)... Because I've given up at 1/3 of the way through, I'm doing the courteous thing and not rating this book a 1 star.
What you wish for is a story about an abused wife who escaped from her marriage when her husband injures her dog. She is placed in a women shelter where she is looked after and given a new life. But all is not rosy because her husband sets out to find her.

Urhh. This novel was to predictable. I knew exactly what would happen in every single chapter. The characters were one dimensional and i felt no connection to any of them.
Good enough story. Not a great ending. Could have had more suspense. There were certainly some good set up situations, but the author wasted all of those.
The author sure wrapped up the drama quickly and weakly, seemed like she wanted to get to the sex instead.

That Izzy was an icky piece of work.

Love the smart dogs. The author should do more with them.

Doubt that that toy would be so successful.
this was a good story that i enjoyed reading,
it is about:
If her abusive husband hadn't tried to kill her and her beloved dog Lucie, Helen Ward might never have left her million-dollar home and run far away. Now Helen's changed her identity and moved across the country, hopeful that she can be safe, happy, maybe even loved.
Cas H.
What you wish for by Fern Michaels is a touching book. It is about a woman who is abused by her husband, and gets out. She then makes a new life of her own, but she always fears her husband will find her. I liked this book, but it dragged on and on, and I read it all, but the last half did drag.
  • Moon River and Me: A Memoir
  • The Matchmakers
  • Valentine Mice!
  • Freestyle with Avery
  • Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America
  • Knit Two Together (Chicks with Sticks, #2)
  • Trouble at the Treasury (Capital Mysteries #7)
  • Frog on His Own
  • The 2011 Book Blogger's Cookbook (The Book Blogger's Cookbook)
  • Parking Lot Hero (A Powers of Love Story)
  • The Sea Serpent and Me
  • 3 Below (Floors, #2)
  • Trail of Thread: A Woman's Westward Journey (Trail of Thread #1)
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • Dear Laura: Letters from Children to Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • Wrecked  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #13)
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I w ...more
More about Fern Michaels...
Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) Payback (Sisterhood, #2) Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3) The Jury (Sisterhood, #4) Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)

“The little dog scampered over to the small dining area that was now Helen’s in-home office. A brand-new ComStar computer and printer took up almost the entire table. The shelves on both walls, bare when she moved in, were filled with computer books, Xerox paper, printer cartridges, a separate fax machine, her textbooks for the night classes she attended along with all the small business papers and manuals she’d applied for with the Small Business Administration, and last but certainly not least, dog treats and chew bones to keep Lucie busy while she was on the computer. There wasn’t an inch of available space left.” 0 likes