Start by marking “The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)

The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  733 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Nook, 226 pages
Published April 22nd 2011 by Smashwords (first published April 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen

Tere J
am not a fan of "narraration". I don't know if that's the proper term, but it's when the character is talking to YOU. Not first person, or POV.

That being said, by the time I was thinking, hmmm, this is predictable, I know who it is, I was 48% in. Real genius on my part.

About 60% in I was getting a little tired of the character talking to herself. She is supposed to be 40, but I've only read characters in FSOG "mentally high five themselves". That's what some of Dix dialog was like, Ana talking
Denise Zendel
Tired of being treated like a “go-fer” at the big P.I. firm where she’s worked for years, Dix Dodd hangs out her own shingle. The good old boys at her former firm have an office pool as to how long before she comes crawling back. She’s determined hell will freeze over before that happens.

A wealthy client pays Dix $10,000 to tail her potentially cheating husband for one week. Easy money, she thinks, but that turns out not to be the case as she winds up the prime suspect in someone’s death.

Dix was
Shéa MacLeod
Private detective Dix Dodd isn't having a good day. She's been framed for murder, is on the lam from the police, and she's hiding out in a cheap motel with her only change of clean underwear a glow in the dark thong. Fortunately she's got a super hot (and somewhat younger) male assistant. And cookies.

I found this book to be a really fun, fast read. Similar to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. Really looking forward to the next in the series.
Debra
Forty-year-old Dix Dodd is anxious to prove that she can make it as a successfully self-employed private investigator. So, when a woman in dark glasses and a purple outfit pays her $5,000 upfront to follow her allegedly adulterous husband for a week, Dix jumps at the chance. But things take a dramatic turn when the client, Jennifer Weatherby, is murdered and the homicide detective has personal reasons for wanting Dix in prison. As Dix tries to learn why she’s being framed for the murder, life be ...more
Philip
Fun Read! I enjoyed this book very much and I am sure that I'm going to read more in this series. This series has provided me with another choice of a lighten up read to unwind with after a serious book by such as Rick Mofina or Don Easton. This story introduces a caste of wacky but likeable and fairly well developed characters lead by Dix and Dylan but by far the most outstanding, and wacky, character is Mrs. Presley! I think this Mrs. P outshines Mary Jane Maffini's Mrs. P (Mrs. Parnell) from ...more
Barbara Morgan
I couldn't finish it. For a PI her instincts are not that good. I had several things figured out before the story did and can see the next twist coming. Thankfully it was a freebie and I have plenty more to read.
Debbie Oxier
Warning: this book was laugh out loud funny so if you are a fan of serious mysteries, don't waste your time. However, if you are in need of a good laugh, enjoy the occasional light-hearted story, and like your characters full of spunk, then you must check this one out. Personally, I needed a good laugh and this fit the bill. Dix Dodd is a PI. Dylan is her assistant. When Dix is framed for murder, the two of them work to clear her name. You'll meet the quirky Mrs. Presley who hides Dix out at her ...more
Nancy
Tired of getting no respect at the big P.I. firm where she's worked for years, Dix Dodd has hung out her own shingle at the ripe age of 40. There are plenty of cheating husbands to go around, and Dix has a knack for busting them. Problem is, it doesn't always pay so well. Conscious that the guys back at the old firm are laying bets about how soon she'll come crawling back, she figures she's got six months to make a go of it. The going gets even tougher when she hires Dylan Foreman. But when he t ...more
Deborah
Dix Dodd is a PI, out on her own after spending too many years working for "the boys." When she's offered a large cash sum to follow a wealthy woman's husband around, she's eager to take the job. Before long, though, that woman is murdered and Dix finds herself framed for the crime. Not only is she being framed, but the detective on the case is none other than Detective Head - a man who she's busted for cheating on his wife before, and who has a huge grudge against her.

The story is humorous and
Leise Chadwick
The case of the Flashing Fashion Queen, A Dix Dodd Mystery, Authors Norah Wilson and Heather Doherty, was an unexpected surprise… is that redundant?

Dix Dodd is not new to being a PI. She served her ‘sentence’ in an all-male agency where she was the “girl”, you know, the one who fetches coffee. When she struck out on her own, they warned that she would be back with her tail between her legs. Like that was going to happen!

Dylan Foreman, her able bodied (in more ways than one) and much younger assi
Beth
I had trouble getting through the first half of this book. The jokes and innuendos were laid on pretty thick, and the main character was oblivious to the obvious. Also, the book needs another editing pass to pick up misplaced commas and wrong word choices. However, somewhere along the line, the story picked up, the mystery deepened, and I was no longer distracted by these things. I began to have more respect for the heroine. I'm glad I stuck through to the end.
Tina
Protagonist: 5/10
Secondary Characters: 6/10
Mystery: 7/10
Humor: 4/10
Pace: 3/10

I give 2.5 stars

Started out great, then fell apart in the middle. Went from a joy to read, to a chore. I felt the characters were pretty under-developed, especially Dix. I can fit all I know about her on the head of a pin. The story was drawn out too much for my liking as well. The best part for me was the mystery. I was guessing and reassessing at almost every page turn.

My biggest pet peeve was all the recapping of sce
Leslie
Very enjoyable mystery. Liked the older PI Dix. She has an unexplored chip on her shoulder about romance and specializes in catching cheating husbands. When a wife pays her $5000 in cash to shadow her husband for a week Dix jumps at the chance. Unfortunately her cash flow problems blind her to the questions she should ask and she ends up as a suspect in a murder. The book is well plotted, has interesting characters and a decent mystery.
Doc
I liked the writing, and was reminded of Janet Evanovich. I thought for some time about the subtle differnces. Both are good story tellers, but the pair that compromise N.L. Wilson fall short in character development. I felt no sense of knowing who Dix Dodd was, I was given a few nicks in the marble block, but in the end, not even bas-relief, and Dylan was so shallow that he didn't even form a puddle. I think it is that small detail that separates N.L Wilson being the next Janet E.
Jackie
Norma Huss
Dix, woman detective (on her own after working with and agency full of men, to whom she was "the girl") takes on the case of Jennifer Weatherby (who she refers to as the flashing fashion queen for her clothing) which turns out to be anything but routine. Along with her assistant Dylan and other characters (accent on the characters) Dix runs into trouble, clues, and eventually the whole story. Enjoyed it.
deeann linford
Funny P.I. Mystery that keep you on your toes.

Dix is one funny and smart woman P.I. She has caught husbands cheating, found missing people, and shown up the police on various cases. The language is a little crude at times. But the situations she gets herself into are so funny and enjoyable to read. More for adult readers than younger readers.
Luna Raven
A quick read, never connected with the main character. Highly repetitive use of the title became irritating early on.

The writing isn't bad, could use some editing. Not likely to pick up any books I the series as I liked the secondary character of Mrs. Presley better (I'd read a series about her!) and the fact that I didn't guess who the killer was off the bat.
Mrs. Garen L. Herd
Good read

I had a little trouble concentrating on the first 3rd of the book (all the introduction of characters, personalities, etc) but then the book gets rolling. Won't tell you who the killer is, you have to guess. Many laughs and funny side characters. Hope she and Dylan got together.
Frances L. Ehrig
Faux Fashion Queen

Took me a while to really get into this book, but then it spend along. I met some very interesting characters in the story, Dix and her "man Friday," Dix and the motel owner. I wonder what will bring these people together in the next book?
Sheila Carsins
Fun Read!

This author is on the ball! She's got a female P.I. with a lot of brains, attitude, and a super cute sidekick to help her keep up the good work and stay on track. I look forward to the next book in "Dix Dodd" Mysteries!
Stephanie Bryant
Awesome easy read

Great read, funny, witty and sometimes your sitting and thinking why are you doing such a stupid move....but then we are human and honestly if we were in that situation who knows how we would react.
Nola J. Harr
Outstanding story

This story has twists, turns, and humor. Very enjoyable read. Hard to put it down and when I did, I couldn't wait to pick it up and continue reading. Thank you for this interesting story.
Terri Foster
Quite enjoyable

A very enjoyable who-dunit with just enough sexual tension between the main characters thrown in to be fun. I'll be anxiously looking forward to the next Dix Dodd mystery.
Ann
good book, witty, humor, good dialogue, knew who the killer was about half way through the book, but that is OK. Had a problem with all the foul language, would have been a much better book without it in my opinion.
Barbara Lohr
My first book by this pair and loved it. They obviously have fun writing and so the reader does too. Dix Dixon is a PI who calls it like she sees it. Not perfect, not gorgeous, but sexy enough to be attractive to her younger associate. The setting is small-town–anywhere and so is the crime. No disturbing blood and gore here. Dix pursues law and order by tossing her head at the law once or twice. We laugh when she runs off and leaves her heels in the lawn. Irreverent. Funny. Warm...all at the sam ...more
cathy neiswonger
Good read

it kept my interest. I was right in the who done it department. but hadn't come up with the reason behind the crime. Would recommend to anyone who likes a humorous mystery
Ann Perez
A great "who done it"

The story made me laugh! so many times you could just See the story, and who wouldn't want to get to know Dix ? Can't wait to read the next book
Silver Vanus
This was an entertaining mystery that I found really easy and fun to read. I liked most of the characters and really liked the main character Dix Dodd.
Lynne Weischedel
Fun story

Good, amusing story. An interesting plot and the story kept moving along, several twists in the plot that kept it entertaining.
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Sweet Masterpiece (A Samantha Sweet Mystery #1)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)
  • On the Run
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • Late Rain
  • Hollywood Scandals (Hollywood Headlines, #1)
  • Legwork
  • Fashion, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox #1)
  • Hot Chocolate
N.L. Wilson is the writing team of Norah Wilson and Heather Doherty. Norah is best known for her romantic suspense and paranormal romance, while Heather Doherty is published in literary. Together they write the hilarious Dix Dodd mysteries under the name N.L. Wilson. They also write paranormal romance together under the name Wilson Doherty, and more recently under their joint names.

Both Norah and
More about N.L. Wilson...

Dix Dodd Mystery (4 books)
  • Family Jewels (Dix Dodd Mystery, #2)
  • Death by Cuddle Club (Dix Dodd Mystery, #3)
  • Covering Her Assets (Dix Dodd Mystery, #4)
Family Jewels (Dix Dodd Mystery, #2) Death by Cuddle Club (Dix Dodd Mystery, #3) Covering Her Assets (Dix Dodd Mystery, #4) A Moment on the Lips