Start by marking “Immortal City (Immortal City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Immortal City (Immortal City, #1)

Immortal City (Immortal City #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,676 Ratings  ·  1,113 Reviews
Jackson Godspeed is the hottest Angel in a city that revolves around idolizing Immortals like him. He grew up in the spotlight, and in less than a week he'll become the youngest full-fledged Guardian ever. People around the world are lining up to pay for him to keep them safe. His lifelong dream of becoming a hero is finally within his grasp - and he can't afford to let th ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about Immortal City, please sign up.

Audrann THIS SERIES IS AMAZEBALLS!! And yes, you were correct, there are 3 books; Immortal City, Natural Born Angel and Battle Angel, though I am not happy…moreTHIS SERIES IS AMAZEBALLS!! And yes, you were correct, there are 3 books; Immortal City, Natural Born Angel and Battle Angel, though I am not happy about that. There should be MORE!! :((less)
Brianne this book is in third person but him putting the story in third person plays really well in the book because its not your typical third person book it…morethis book is in third person but him putting the story in third person plays really well in the book because its not your typical third person book it actually goes into what the characters are feeling and thinking and i was really impressed (because i dont like reading third person point of view books). And YES you should definitely read this book! Its SOOO GOOD!!! (less)
Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasEverneath by Brodi Ashton
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
57th out of 1,016 books — 6,414 voters
The Immortal Rules by Julie KagawaThe Selection by Kiera CassGrave Mercy by Robin LaFeversUnraveling by Elizabeth NorrisMasque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
2012 April YA Releases
6th out of 86 books — 111 voters

More lists with this book...

Daphne Delacroix
Aug 03, 2013 Daphne Delacroix rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: My. Worst. Emenies
Recommended to Daphne by: My. Worst. ENEMY!
Liz
Nov 16, 2014 Liz rated it did not like it

THIS is an angel-book?! Are you f...... serious?!
After this book, I think Unearthly deserves an AWARD because it is so freaking good!
This book is a fail.

Angels revealed themselves and now they are making money with saving those who can pay them. TV Shows, Reality shows and Twitter posts about angels. Angels are celebrities and they enjoy their wealth and fame.

I am fine with authors who differ from usual definitions, but I really don't like authors who turn some of the religious or mythologic
Lis
Also Found On: A Book and A Record

I don’t know why, but as I was reading this I got the distinct impression that it was written to that Foster the People song “Pumped Up Kicks” No joke. Every time Jacks was headed to an event I had the first few chords of that song begin to run through my brain. Anyways, that’s not really the point. Immortal City is a good idea. I like the idea, I had high hopes for the idea. Hot super star angel falling for a mortal? I’ll take that for a light read! Sure had be
Nitzan Schwarz
ORIGINALLY POSTED ONAFTERWORDS!

WhileI startedImmortal Citywary of hoping for too much, in lieu of never reading a truly great angel story, it became promising very quickly. Mostly because ofhow unique the plot was, when in theory it shouldn't be.The general premise is fairly unoriginal: supernatural boy falls for normal girl... Been there, read that, have the bookshelves to prove it.

But it's the setting ofImmortal Citythat truly sets it apart;imagine modern time with one key difference -Angels
Rane
Apr 12, 2012 Rane rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult

In a world where you put the TV on, your bound to fall on some reality show and where real life heroes are made into over night celebs. Scott Speer gives his own take of the not so bright lights of this world with Immoral City and celebrity angels. Angels whom have fallen into the world of greed and bright lights, where everything is given to them on a whim of saving the lives of those who can afford it.
In this world there are those who could care less about angels and their celeb status. Mad
Soumi
Jul 16, 2012 Soumi rated it really liked it
There always have been a debate in support or against the statement that a celebrity can write or not, and most answers were used to be no, as we have previously witnessed some horrible piece came of out of celebrities’ unthinkable thoughts which doesn’t even falls in the category of literature. This time a celebrity came in field of young adult literature and conquers all conventional conception of that has been running around. Yes, I’m talking about Scott Speer and his YA incredible debut Immo ...more
Ashley
Nov 19, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it
Shelves: bea-2011, arc
Well, when my uncle brought me this I was really excited, it looks amazing, and the description sounds pretty good. The book itself? Not so much. (Note: the book says "If you quote from this galley, please refer to the final printed book" but as the book isn't available until April, I know I'll forget to write the review then. So please take notice that my review is not of the final book.)

Just a few chapters in, and I already knew this book was going to be all over the place. The book flip-flops
Karen Russell
Apr 14, 2012 Karen Russell rated it it was amazing
Oh my FREAKING heck! I just finished this book and can I say, This book totally ROCKED my world. I seriously have not been so sucked into a book like this one in a long, long time. I literally read it all in one day... I did stop to eat and go potty, but I am ready to pick it up and read it again!

Call me sexist, but when I first saw that a man wrote this book, I had my doubts. Now, let me explain. I have read some great books written by men, recent ones too, but I have not experienced one that
Josie
Jul 15, 2012 Josie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Honestly, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit to having read this. I've read a lot of trash this year, but this book was seriously terrible. I was intrigued by the premise: guardian angels have "come out" to the world, and instead of performing anonymous miracles they now provide paid protection. After the first couple of chapters I also got the impression it was going to be a social commentary on how our culture is obsessed with celebrities.

Lol, no. It was trash. Pure and utter trash. Maddy was ki
Stefani
May 22, 2012 Stefani rated it did not like it
Shelves: hardcover, swapped
Dani
Jun 13, 2012 Dani rated it really liked it
I loved the concept! I loved the characters! But...NO ONE PROOF READ THIS BOOK!!! There are so many grammar errors that whoever edited it needs to be fired! It is so distracting to have fragmented sentences and repetitive wording.

The story is awesome too but there are holes in it. (Spoiler alert)At the end there is a human who sells his soul to a demon(who they call a dark angel, confusing because it looks nothing like an angel)and this human kills angels. But all through out the book they say
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Angels are treated as celebrities. They’re paid by wealthy humans to protect them. So in a way angels are working for the humans. It’s a weird concept, but I also found that some angels like Jacks aren’t fazed by all the glitz and the glamour. When the most famous angel of them all, Jacks is about to be assigned a human to protect, he meets Maddy. And you can guess what happens here. They fall in love.

I heard on the grapevine that this book was materialistic and a little floozy, and sure there a
Serena (The Book Comedian)

I HAVE NEVER FELT SO CONFLICTED!!

I REALLY liked this book AND I REALLY didn't like this book. (notice how I didn't use 'love' and 'hate', yea, cause I didn't feel either; my feelings weren't that strong)

ANYWAYS I liked everything from the plot, to the characters, and the unpredictability of the story, it just kept me interested and wanting to know more and more, I WANTED TO KNOW EVERYTHING.

That was basically what got me to finish the book because I really didn't like how there were so many extre
Wendy Darling
DNF at 10%.
Lau
Mar 18, 2016 Lau rated it liked it
3.5

No voy a negar que empecé este libro con escepticismo. Tampoco voy a negar que cuando vi más o menos cómo es el mundo que creó el autor me sorprendió para bien.
Si esa misma idea se hubiera usado en un libro no-juvenil, ésta habría sido una tremenda historia. De todos modos esta novela es mucho mejor de lo que esperaba... si se dejan pasar algunas cositas.

Por alguna razón que no es del todo clara, los ángeles se hicieron visibles para los humanos hace más de un siglo y ahora conviven con ello
Kara-karina
Mar 23, 2012 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
OK, funny thing is, I seem to disagree with the majority of reviewers on many YAs. I hated Obsidian and Half-Blood, and DNFed Touch, but I thought that Immortal City which keeps getting average reviews on Goodreads was an exceptionally entertaining read.

*shrug*

This was a classic Cinderella story, where Jacks is a prince in shining armor and Maddy is a poor waitress working day and night in her uncle's diner and dreaming of college. Predictable, right?

Wrong.

Despite the mass hysteria surr
Amelia
Jun 06, 2016 Amelia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who like angelic books
Recommended to Amelia by: recommendations

One of the words that could be used to describe this book, Spectacular.

I had gone into reading this book thinking it was a bit too... I don't know, on the wall of how I felt but after reading it I'm craving the next one.

Scott Speer has created a world in which Los Angeles is the headquarters for the angels that have reveled themselves to humanity. The angels, or sometimes called immortals, are worshiped by crazed fans (they even have a news channel dedicated to the immortals) and are treated as
Amy
This was an action packed read with a lot of ups and downs!

Maddy lives a simple life, her parents died when she was young so she has lived with her Uncle Kevin and worked at his Diner for as long as she can remember. Her home overlooks The Immortal City sign which was put in place when Angel's made themselves known to humans over a hundred years ago. They have created a trade from being 'guardians' to the rich which in turn made them famous. Everyone wants to be protected by them, look as beaut
♥Kel
Oct 12, 2013 ♥Kel rated it really liked it
This book was really good. I love the mystery and romance to it. The dialogue was so good about there different worlds. I loved the character's personalities, it was great. I wish there is a second book coming out :)
Sam
Feb 18, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review:
Immortal City will leave you wanting more. It swept me off my feet and I don't want to come back down yet. It wasn't what I was expecting and that was a good thing. It took me by surprise, even if it was a little predictable at times, you never knew the big things that were going to happen.

Cover:
So my copy of the book had a different cover, which I loved. It was really shiny and had a shirtless winged guy on the cover. I was pretty happy with it! :) The cover that is on Goodreads.com, I d
Liviania
Jun 12, 2012 Liviania rated it really liked it
"What about him?" Brad asked.
"Him?" the Angel asked.
"Yeah," Brad said, and pointed to the tailgate as it slipped under the waves. "Him."
The Angel looked at the sinking pickup as if seeing it for the first time.
"He didn't have coverage," he said.
-p. 4, ARC

IMMORTAL CITY begins with a scene that worms under your skin. Rich, careless Brad causes a fatal car wreck, but escapes with the aid of an Angel - aid he paid for. The other, innocent driver dies. And, as we find out, no one in Angel City
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Apr 15, 2013 ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
So, this was actually...pretty good! I've been looking forward to reading this book for a while now because it sounded really interesting and I'm happy I finally got to read it.

One thing that I really, really liked was the whole concept of Angels charging people for their services. I mean, we never think that if Angels were real that we'd have to pay them to help us since, you know, they're suppose to be guard us humans from the bad things. But no, that's not how things work in this book. Here,
Abbie
Oct 24, 2013 Abbie rated it really liked it
Okay, so I gave this 4 stats because I enjoyed reading it; not because it's amazingly life changing. Actually I didn't like the concept of angel bodyguards at first because angels are supposed to be pure of heart and not care about getting paid to watch over people. I even wondered how God let them sell their abilities for something as common as money.

But Maddy and Jackson's love affair made my palpable dislike of corny angel fantasy books disappear. Maddy, a seeming ordinary human with special
Tati
Sep 23, 2014 Tati rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think the best way to describe this book is: angels meet True Blood.

Around a hundred years ago (maybe more), Angels revealed themselves to mankind. They are now the elite and charge huge amounts of money for protecting people (capitalist Angels, in other words). Jackson Godspeed is mere days away from being Commissioned and getting his first Protection. Maddy is a regular human girl, who was raised by her uncle, Kevin, and has no interest whatsoever in Angels. Through unusual events, Maddy get
Lili
Jul 23, 2012 Lili rated it really liked it

Scott Speer re-imagined Los Angeles, also known as Immortal City, in this amazing tale where angels aren't really the most angelic, despite their angelic duties. Guardian Angels have been around forever, protecting humans by performing anonymous saves and giving them a second chance at life. Then, the American Civil War happened. The angels were disgusted that brothers were killing their own brothers and they decided that they should make their presence known, refusing to help this seem
YA Reads Book Reviews
Apr 19, 2012 YA Reads Book Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nichole
Originally featured on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole

Jackson Godspeed is the hottest Angel in a city that revolves around idolizing Immortals like him. He grew up in the spotlight, and in less than a week he’ll become the youngest full-fledged Guardian ever. People around the world are lining up to pay for him to keep them safe. His lifelong dream of becoming a hero is finally within his grasp-and he can’t afford to let the parties, paparazzi, or red carpets distract him.
But Jackson’s high
(;Missy.Lala;)
Katinki
Apr 10, 2012 Katinki rated it liked it
Shelves: angel-books

I'll give this author credit. He (and yes, my mind kind of bobbled over the fact that he's a he) surprised me - in a good way. In the massive field of YA/romance angel books, he's managed to craft something a little different from the norm. And that, in and of itself, was notable.

Some things I liked:
- As mentioned above, this was something new, plot-wise. There's certainly the paranormal YA angel romance thing going on, but there's also bit of good old crime drama in here, too.
- The
Carina
My Rating: 3.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Entertaining, decadent and a little bit heart-breaking - Immortal City turned out to be a fast-paced read that will make readers wonder about its world and morals. While I couldn't connect to its characters as fast as I'd hoped to, I definitely enjoyed reading it and often had a hard time putting it down. If you're looking for a unique angel story, this might be the right one for you.

More detailed:
I fell in love with the sound of Immortal City immediately when I
Kilikina
Apr 27, 2012 Kilikina rated it it was ok
*spoilers*

Oh man, where do I start with this one?
I was intrigued when I saw the cover and read the plot for this one, but sadly it did not live up to my expectations. I don't usually get distraught over books but this one made me angry for a few reasons.

Because I love Angel books in general, I was looking forward to seeing where this one was going to go. This definitely had potential. I really liked how the Angels walked among the Humans and were kind of like celebrities. The world literally
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Immortal City by Scott Speer starting on the 19th January 2015 29 17 Jan 28, 2016 10:33PM
Over all book? 8 38 Feb 01, 2014 07:30AM
Author on cover? 3 30 Sep 19, 2013 11:56AM
Immortal City Lovers: Introduce yourself 2 6 Jun 21, 2013 06:58AM
Immortal City Lovers: Jackson Godspeed 1 16 Apr 15, 2013 04:04PM
who did you choose 1 19 Mar 04, 2013 03:18PM
What do you think about the cover? 10 31 Dec 29, 2012 07:38AM
  • Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)
  • Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes, #1)
  • Forbidden
  • Halflings (Halflings, #1)
  • A Temptation of Angels
  • The Dark Light
  • Sentinal's Tear
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Illuminate (Gilded Wings, #1)
  • The Temptation (Kindred, #1)
  • Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #1)
  • Awakened (Prequel, The Guardian Legacy)
  • Until Next Time (The Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • My Heart Be Damned (Damned, #1)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)
  • The Alchemy of Forever (Incarnation, #1)
  • The Halo Chronicles: The Guardian
Scott Speer is a movie and music video director and a graduate of the University of Southern California's School of Cinema Television. He has directed music videos for artists such as Will.I.Am, Jordin Sparks, and Ashley Tisdale and is currently directing Step Up 4. Scott lives in Los Angeles, California.
More about Scott Speer...

Immortal City (3 books)
  • Natural Born Angel (Immortal City, #2)
  • Battle Angel (Immortal City, #3)

“Will you listen to me just this once?” he nearly yelled. “I . . . I like you, Maddy. I mean, more than just as a friend. Are you so stubborn you can’t
see that? Maybe last night meant nothing to you, but it meant something to me.” His eyes were vulnerable, almost tortured. “Did you ever even
consider that I might love you, you stubborn, impossible girl?”
140 likes
“You’re right,” Jacks said. “You’re not part of my world. You’re not one of those girls. And maybe that’s why.”
“Why what?”
“Why I can’t stop thinking about you.”
Maddy rolled her eyes. “Guys like you don’t say that to girls like me.”
“I’ve never said that to anyone, actually,” Jacks corrected. “In fact, I’ve never done anything like this before.” He let out a little laugh. “How am I doing?”
He swallowed hard, trying to push down his nervousness. He was astonished to realize he was nervous. Somehow being around Maddy just put him in a different space. Jacks felt so present.
Maddy stared at him, letting the anger and frustration surge through her.
“Why are you doing this to me?” she asked finally.
He paused, considering.
“I’m being honest. I know you may not believe me. But I haven’t been able to not think about you. When we were in the back at the restaurant, and . . .” Jacks’s voice trailed off, his face coloring. “I still feel terrible about what I did. I lied to you and, even though I had good reasons for it, it was wrong of me.”
Maddy studied him. Was he telling the truth?
Jacks smiled. “I mean this in the best possible way: I’m not going to leave you alone until you let me make it up to you. I’m serious. I’ll be here every night. You might as well get me some pajamas and a toothbrush.”
Despite her best efforts not to, Maddy laughed. She looked at Jacks and could see the faintest twinkle of light in his eyes.
“So what you’re saying is that I should just give in and let you make it up to me. Otherwise you’ll be tormenting me like this for the rest of my life?”
“Pretty much. Yeah.”
“Well.” She sighed. “What do you have in mind?”
“Come fly with me.”