Start by marking “Immortal City (Immortal City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Immortal City (Immortal City, #1)

Immortal City (Immortal City #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  11,902 Ratings  ·  1,134 Reviews
Jackson Godspeed is the hottest Angel in a city that revolves around idolizing Immortals like him. He grew up in the spotlight, and in less than a week he'll become the youngest full-fledged Guardian ever. People around the world are lining up to pay for him to keep them safe. His lifelong dream of becoming a hero is finally within his grasp - and he can't afford to let th ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about Immortal City, please sign up.

Audrann THIS SERIES IS AMAZEBALLS!! And yes, you were correct, there are 3 books; Immortal City, Natural Born Angel and Battle Angel, though I am not happy…moreTHIS SERIES IS AMAZEBALLS!! And yes, you were correct, there are 3 books; Immortal City, Natural Born Angel and Battle Angel, though I am not happy about that. There should be MORE!! :((less)
Brianne this book is in third person but him putting the story in third person plays really well in the book because its not your typical third person book it…morethis book is in third person but him putting the story in third person plays really well in the book because its not your typical third person book it actually goes into what the characters are feeling and thinking and i was really impressed (because i dont like reading third person point of view books). And YES you should definitely read this book! Its SOOO GOOD!!! (less)

Daphne Delacroix
Aug 03, 2013 Daphne Delacroix rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: My. Worst. Emenies
Recommended to Daphne by: My. Worst. ENEMY!
Liz
Nov 16, 2014 Liz rated it did not like it

THIS is an angel-book?! Are you f...... serious?!
After this book, I think Unearthly deserves an AWARD because it is so freaking good!
This book is a fail.

Angels revealed themselves and now they are making money with saving those who can pay them. TV Shows, Reality shows and Twitter posts about angels. Angels are celebrities and they enjoy their wealth and fame.

I am fine with authors who differ from usual definitions, but I really don't like authors who turn some of the religious or mythologic
Lis
Also Found On: A Book and A Record

I don’t know why, but as I was reading this I got the distinct impression that it was written to that Foster the People song “Pumped Up Kicks” No joke. Every time Jacks was headed to an event I had the first few chords of that song begin to run through my brain. Anyways, that’s not really the point. Immortal City is a good idea. I like the idea, I had high hopes for the idea. Hot super star angel falling for a mortal? I’ll take that for a light read! Sure had be
Nitzan Schwarz
ORIGINALLY POSTED ONAFTERWORDS!

WhileI startedImmortal Citywary of hoping for too much, in lieu of never reading a truly great angel story, it became promising very quickly. Mostly because ofhow unique the plot was, when in theory it shouldn't be.The general premise is fairly unoriginal: supernatural boy falls for normal girl... Been there, read that, have the bookshelves to prove it.

But it's the setting ofImmortal Citythat truly sets it apart;imagine modern time with one key difference -Angels
Rane
Apr 12, 2012 Rane rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult

In a world where you put the TV on, your bound to fall on some reality show and where real life heroes are made into over night celebs. Scott Speer gives his own take of the not so bright lights of this world with Immoral City and celebrity angels. Angels whom have fallen into the world of greed and bright lights, where everything is given to them on a whim of saving the lives of those who can afford it.
In this world there are those who could care less about angels and their celeb status. Mad
Ashley
Nov 19, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it
Shelves: bea-2011, arc
Well, when my uncle brought me this I was really excited, it looks amazing, and the description sounds pretty good. The book itself? Not so much. (Note: the book says "If you quote from this galley, please refer to the final printed book" but as the book isn't available until April, I know I'll forget to write the review then. So please take notice that my review is not of the final book.)

Just a few chapters in, and I already knew this book was going to be all over the place. The book flip-flops
Karen Russell
Apr 14, 2012 Karen Russell rated it it was amazing
Oh my FREAKING heck! I just finished this book and can I say, This book totally ROCKED my world. I seriously have not been so sucked into a book like this one in a long, long time. I literally read it all in one day... I did stop to eat and go potty, but I am ready to pick it up and read it again!

Call me sexist, but when I first saw that a man wrote this book, I had my doubts. Now, let me explain. I have read some great books written by men, recent ones too, but I have not experienced one that
Josie
Jul 15, 2012 Josie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Honestly, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit to having read this. I've read a lot of trash this year, but this book was seriously terrible. I was intrigued by the premise: guardian angels have "come out" to the world, and instead of performing anonymous miracles they now provide paid protection. After the first couple of chapters I also got the impression it was going to be a social commentary on how our culture is obsessed with celebrities.

Lol, no. It was trash. Pure and utter trash. Maddy was ki
Stefani
May 22, 2012 Stefani rated it did not like it
Shelves: hardcover, swapped
Dani
Jun 13, 2012 Dani rated it really liked it
I loved the concept! I loved the characters! But...NO ONE PROOF READ THIS BOOK!!! There are so many grammar errors that whoever edited it needs to be fired! It is so distracting to have fragmented sentences and repetitive wording.

The story is awesome too but there are holes in it. (Spoiler alert)At the end there is a human who sells his soul to a demon(who they call a dark angel, confusing because it looks nothing like an angel)and this human kills angels. But all through out the book they say
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Angels are treated as celebrities. They’re paid by wealthy humans to protect them. So in a way angels are working for the humans. It’s a weird concept, but I also found that some angels like Jacks aren’t fazed by all the glitz and the glamour. When the most famous angel of them all, Jacks is about to be assigned a human to protect, he meets Maddy. And you can guess what happens here. They fall in love.

I heard on the grapevine that this book was materialistic and a little floozy, and sure there a
Serena (The Book Comedian)

I HAVE NEVER FELT SO CONFLICTED!!

I REALLY liked this book AND I REALLY didn't like this book. (notice how I didn't use 'love' and 'hate', yea, cause I didn't feel either; my feelings weren't that strong)

ANYWAYS I liked everything from the plot, to the characters, and the unpredictability of the story, it just kept me interested and wanting to know more and more, I WANTED TO KNOW EVERYTHING.

That was basically what got me to finish the book because I really didn't like how there were so many extre
Wendy Darling
DNF at 10%.
Lau
3.5

No voy a negar que empecé este libro con escepticismo. Tampoco voy a negar que cuando vi más o menos cómo es el mundo que creó el autor me sorprendió para bien.
Si esa misma idea se hubiera usado en un libro no-juvenil, ésta habría sido una tremenda historia. De todos modos esta novela es mucho mejor de lo que esperaba... si se dejan pasar algunas cositas.

Por alguna razón que no es del todo clara, los ángeles se hicieron visibles para los humanos hace más de un siglo y ahora conviven con ello
Kara-karina
Mar 23, 2012 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
OK, funny thing is, I seem to disagree with the majority of reviewers on many YAs. I hated Obsidian and Half-Blood, and DNFed Touch, but I thought that Immortal City which keeps getting average reviews on Goodreads was an exceptionally entertaining read.

*shrug*

This was a classic Cinderella story, where Jacks is a prince in shining armor and Maddy is a poor waitress working day and night in her uncle's diner and dreaming of college. Predictable, right?

Wrong.

Despite the mass hysteria surr
♥Kel
Oct 12, 2013 ♥Kel rated it really liked it
This book was really good. I love the mystery and romance to it. The dialogue was so good about there different worlds. I loved the character's personalities, it was great. I wish there is a second book coming out :)
Lili
Jul 23, 2012 Lili rated it really liked it

Scott Speer re-imagined Los Angeles, also known as Immortal City, in this amazing tale where angels aren't really the most angelic, despite their angelic duties. Guardian Angels have been around forever, protecting humans by performing anonymous saves and giving them a second chance at life. Then, the American Civil War happened. The angels were disgusted that brothers were killing their own brothers and they decided that they should make their presence known, refusing to help this seem
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Apr 15, 2013 ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
So, this was actually...pretty good! I've been looking forward to reading this book for a while now because it sounded really interesting and I'm happy I finally got to read it.

One thing that I really, really liked was the whole concept of Angels charging people for their services. I mean, we never think that if Angels were real that we'd have to pay them to help us since, you know, they're suppose to be guard us humans from the bad things. But no, that's not how things work in this book. Here,
Sam
Feb 18, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review:
Immortal City will leave you wanting more. It swept me off my feet and I don't want to come back down yet. It wasn't what I was expecting and that was a good thing. It took me by surprise, even if it was a little predictable at times, you never knew the big things that were going to happen.

Cover:
So my copy of the book had a different cover, which I loved. It was really shiny and had a shirtless winged guy on the cover. I was pretty happy with it! :) The cover that is on Goodreads.com, I d
Amy
This was an action packed read with a lot of ups and downs!

Maddy lives a simple life, her parents died when she was young so she has lived with her Uncle Kevin and worked at his Diner for as long as she can remember. Her home overlooks The Immortal City sign which was put in place when Angel's made themselves known to humans over a hundred years ago. They have created a trade from being 'guardians' to the rich which in turn made them famous. Everyone wants to be protected by them, look as beaut
Liviania
Jun 12, 2012 Liviania rated it really liked it
"What about him?" Brad asked.
"Him?" the Angel asked.
"Yeah," Brad said, and pointed to the tailgate as it slipped under the waves. "Him."
The Angel looked at the sinking pickup as if seeing it for the first time.
"He didn't have coverage," he said.
-p. 4, ARC

IMMORTAL CITY begins with a scene that worms under your skin. Rich, careless Brad causes a fatal car wreck, but escapes with the aid of an Angel - aid he paid for. The other, innocent driver dies. And, as we find out, no one in Angel City
Tati
Sep 23, 2014 Tati rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think the best way to describe this book is: angels meet True Blood.

Around a hundred years ago (maybe more), Angels revealed themselves to mankind. They are now the elite and charge huge amounts of money for protecting people (capitalist Angels, in other words). Jackson Godspeed is mere days away from being Commissioned and getting his first Protection. Maddy is a regular human girl, who was raised by her uncle, Kevin, and has no interest whatsoever in Angels. Through unusual events, Maddy get
Abbie
Oct 24, 2013 Abbie rated it really liked it
Okay, so I gave this 4 stats because I enjoyed reading it; not because it's amazingly life changing. Actually I didn't like the concept of angel bodyguards at first because angels are supposed to be pure of heart and not care about getting paid to watch over people. I even wondered how God let them sell their abilities for something as common as money.

But Maddy and Jackson's love affair made my palpable dislike of corny angel fantasy books disappear. Maddy, a seeming ordinary human with special
YA Reads Book Reviews
Apr 19, 2012 YA Reads Book Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nichole
Originally featured on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole

Jackson Godspeed is the hottest Angel in a city that revolves around idolizing Immortals like him. He grew up in the spotlight, and in less than a week he’ll become the youngest full-fledged Guardian ever. People around the world are lining up to pay for him to keep them safe. His lifelong dream of becoming a hero is finally within his grasp-and he can’t afford to let the parties, paparazzi, or red carpets distract him.
But Jackson’s high
Katinki
Apr 10, 2012 Katinki rated it liked it
Shelves: angel-books

I'll give this author credit. He (and yes, my mind kind of bobbled over the fact that he's a he) surprised me - in a good way. In the massive field of YA/romance angel books, he's managed to craft something a little different from the norm. And that, in and of itself, was notable.

Some things I liked:
- As mentioned above, this was something new, plot-wise. There's certainly the paranormal YA angel romance thing going on, but there's also bit of good old crime drama in here, too.
- The
(;Missy.Lala;)
Carina
My Rating: 3.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Entertaining, decadent and a little bit heart-breaking - Immortal City turned out to be a fast-paced read that will make readers wonder about its world and morals. While I couldn't connect to its characters as fast as I'd hoped to, I definitely enjoyed reading it and often had a hard time putting it down. If you're looking for a unique angel story, this might be the right one for you.

More detailed:
I fell in love with the sound of Immortal City immediately when I
Emily
May 23, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Very interesting premise. There’s been an influx of “angel”-related YA fiction in the market recently, kind of tagging along on the supernatural coattails of vampires and werewolves and fae and etc. I’ve tried a few and just been kind of disgusted with the writing quality of some of them. Speer’s novel, however, captivated me from the very beginning with an incredibly intriguing and, might I say it, incredibly “American” (and by “American” I mean extremely capitalist!) set-up for his type of ang ...more
Jeninne
This book is an odd conundrum. It is both interesting and incredibly improbable. They cause each other, in a way, and while it makes for an intriguing book, it’s also a complete train wreck that will leave you scratching your head as to how it all actually manages to work. Interesting and improbable.

Before I bought this book, I was pretty sure I was done with angel books for a while. YA is completely saturated with them right now. But I’m a sucker for a pretty cover, and the book was cheap. Plu
Soumi
Jul 16, 2012 Soumi rated it really liked it
There always have been a debate in support or against the statement that a celebrity can write or not, and most answers were used to be no, as we have previously witnessed some horrible piece came of out of celebrities’ unthinkable thoughts which doesn’t even falls in the category of literature. This time a celebrity came in field of young adult literature and conquers all conventional conception of that has been running around. Yes, I’m talking about Scott Speer and his YA incredible debut Immo ...more
Kilikina
Apr 27, 2012 Kilikina rated it it was ok
*spoilers*

Oh man, where do I start with this one?
I was intrigued when I saw the cover and read the plot for this one, but sadly it did not live up to my expectations. I don't usually get distraught over books but this one made me angry for a few reasons.

Because I love Angel books in general, I was looking forward to seeing where this one was going to go. This definitely had potential. I really liked how the Angels walked among the Humans and were kind of like celebrities. The world literally
Kaitlyn
Immortal City was just another disappointing angel book - it seems there's very few books about angels that I actually like. At first, I thought this one might be unique because of the cool idea of guardian angels. However, it ended up being full of cliches.

Insta-love? Check. Jackson and Maddy pretty much started liking each other right away, which made no sense, especially on Jacks's side. He kept saying he couldn't forget about Maddy and that she was so different from everyone else. Which bri
corylucky1
Mar 22, 2013 corylucky1 rated it liked it
I really liked this book, but there was a thing that was a bit strange.

Immortal City is about a boy and a girl. The boy is called Jackson Godspeed and he's a prodigy angel. Every single girl wants to be with him. The girl in this story is called Maddy Montgomery. She studies hard at school and wants nothing to do with angels. She just wants to get out of LA, which is where the story takes place.

The thing that was a bit strange:
1) Maddy falls in love with Jackson (you can read this on the cover)
Brittany
Jul 04, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I have seen this book so many times without really giving it a second glance. I would tell myself that I would look at what it is about later and knowing me that "later" turns into a long freaking time. But recently, I finally stopped procrastinating, took a look at the book, and read it. Lets just say this book was REALLY good!!! It didn't drag on, it was original, and it was pretty freaking awesome. I really did like the main characters: Maddy and Jackson. Yeah, a couple of times I really want ...more
Rebecca
This book was an interesting easy read; it was a very interesting concept well executed and with fairly likeable characters.

The main characters are Maddie and Jackson; Maddie is a girl living in a city dominated by the fame and fortune of Angels and while all of this is going on in her city she is not interested in the Angels; Jackson is a rising star in the ranks of Angels who happens upon Maddie while she works in her uncles diner. The two characters come together despite their differences an
Nícky
Dec 17, 2012 Nícky rated it it was amazing
Impresionante, alucinante, espectacular!!!!!! No tengo palabras!!! Me ha encantado, todo, por completo!!! Jacks es el típico ángel famoso y conocido que vive su vida sin ningún problema, esperando su Nombramiento y conocer a sus Protegidos y Maddy es una humana que pasa olímpicamente de los canales especializados en los ángeles y sus cotilleos y sin embargo son tal para cual. La relación entre ellos está tan bien descrita.... La injusticia que supone para Maddy que los ángeles sólo salven a los ...more
Lauren
Mar 31, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, 2014
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

It was teetering between four and five stars the whole book and I think the one thing that prevented me from giving it that full five is how hard he tried to make Maddy this totally normal, hidden in the shadows kind of girl. He kept going back and reiterating how "normal" she was, all her clothes were from Target, she never went out, she wanted out of her city, and all that stuff was kind of a turn off at times.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, from about
Tabatha
Aug 06, 2014 Tabatha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't normally like YA-Angel-Novels
A breath of fresh air. I loved how unlike the normal and same-y YA angel novel --such as Hush Hush-- Immortal City was! I normally, for me, YA angel books are a BIG no-no because I just can't get into them and I always find the main characters arrogant or pathetic.. This was different. I liked the new approach to angels in society and didn't --overly-- dislike the characters..

Over & Out, T xx
Jessica Kumala

I like this book only at the end. Maybe it's the christian in me that doesn't agree with angel helping people with payment.
Karla Mendoza
Mar 27, 2015 Karla Mendoza rated it really liked it
Shelves: angels, teens
Una historia de angeles de todas las que he leido y aunque es diferente es super interesante, aqui los angeles de verdad son estrellas, me encante leyendola y los personajes principales son polos opuestos que se atraen totalmente, al principio no concebia esta pareja pero la verdad es una pareja dispareja jajajaja el mejor guardian con la humana mas antisocial. La verdad es que gusta que las historias te den muchos sospechosos y te hagan tratar de descubrir la verdad y equivocarte totalmente al ...more
Aline

Tumblr: http://alinemattosreview.tumblr.com/
Instagram: https://instagram.com/alinemattosreview
Twitter: https://twitter.com/alinesreviews

My Review

This book is different in so many ways. It's unique. I never read a story about Angels that didn’t focus on the Angel coming to Earth to save the beautiful girl throughout the whole book. On this book, the angels are paid
Mariana Barbosa
I loved this book so much! Omg it has been SUCH a long time since I have been so interested in a story!
Sara Núñez
Oct 05, 2014 Sara Núñez rated it it was amazing
"Aqui" dijo ella. Jacks tomo asiento y Maddy le entrego el menu. Hizo un espectaculo para abrirlo con ceremonia e inspeccionarlo. Una pequeña risa se escapo de los labios de Maddy. Luego, el bajo el menu.
"En realidad, creo que me gustaria solicitar empleo" dijo.
Ella le dio una mirada incredula. "Bien, lamento decirle que no estoy tan segura de que califique" dijo Maddy.
El arugo su frente. "Oh, tengo mucha experiencia" dijo.
"Como en que?"
"Muchas cosas" Jacks se encongio de hombros. "Y conozco a l
Iffsy
Jan 18, 2016 Iffsy rated it liked it
shhhhh.... really great story. the story was great but it did not have the authenticity of a book. the conversations sounded really fake i.e. He asked "Do you trust me?" I responded "yes." ... DOES THAT NOT SOUND WEIRDLY FAKE??? THERE AREEE WAYYYY MORE EXAMPLES BUT I CANT REMEMBER THEM. the only thing that made this book a 3 was the poorly written paragraphs. every single conversation sounded so robotic, made up and i cant even stress to you how good it would've been if it was just written a tad ...more
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
sorry but I cant finished this book...i read only 90 pages and its not my style...so i stop reading this...maybe sometime i read this again but not now
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Immortal City by Scott Speer starting on the 19th January 2015 29 17 Jan 28, 2016 10:33PM
Over all book? 8 38 Feb 01, 2014 07:30AM
Author on cover? 3 30 Sep 19, 2013 11:56AM
Immortal City Lovers: Introduce yourself 2 6 Jun 21, 2013 06:58AM
Immortal City Lovers: Jackson Godspeed 1 16 Apr 15, 2013 04:04PM
who did you choose 1 20 Mar 04, 2013 03:18PM
What do you think about the cover? 10 31 Dec 29, 2012 07:38AM
  • Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)
  • Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes, #1)
  • Forbidden
  • Halflings (Halflings, #1)
  • A Temptation of Angels
  • The Dark Light
  • Sentinal's Tear
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Illuminate (Gilded Wings, #1)
  • The Temptation (Kindred, #1)
  • Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #1)
  • Awakened (Prequel, The Guardian Legacy)
  • Until Next Time (The Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • My Heart Be Damned (Damned, #1)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)
  • The Alchemy of Forever (Incarnation, #1)
  • The Halo Chronicles: The Guardian
Scott Speer is a movie and music video director and a graduate of the University of Southern California's School of Cinema Television. He has directed music videos for artists such as Will.I.Am, Jordin Sparks, and Ashley Tisdale and is currently directing Step Up 4. Scott lives in Los Angeles, California.
More about Scott Speer...

Immortal City (3 books)
  • Natural Born Angel (Immortal City, #2)
  • Battle Angel (Immortal City, #3)

“Will you listen to me just this once?” he nearly yelled. “I . . . I like you, Maddy. I mean, more than just as a friend. Are you so stubborn you can’t
see that? Maybe last night meant nothing to you, but it meant something to me.” His eyes were vulnerable, almost tortured. “Did you ever even
consider that I might love you, you stubborn, impossible girl?”
140 likes
“You’re right,” Jacks said. “You’re not part of my world. You’re not one of those girls. And maybe that’s why.”
“Why what?”
“Why I can’t stop thinking about you.”
Maddy rolled her eyes. “Guys like you don’t say that to girls like me.”
“I’ve never said that to anyone, actually,” Jacks corrected. “In fact, I’ve never done anything like this before.” He let out a little laugh. “How am I doing?”
He swallowed hard, trying to push down his nervousness. He was astonished to realize he was nervous. Somehow being around Maddy just put him in a different space. Jacks felt so present.
Maddy stared at him, letting the anger and frustration surge through her.
“Why are you doing this to me?” she asked finally.
He paused, considering.
“I’m being honest. I know you may not believe me. But I haven’t been able to not think about you. When we were in the back at the restaurant, and . . .” Jacks’s voice trailed off, his face coloring. “I still feel terrible about what I did. I lied to you and, even though I had good reasons for it, it was wrong of me.”
Maddy studied him. Was he telling the truth?
Jacks smiled. “I mean this in the best possible way: I’m not going to leave you alone until you let me make it up to you. I’m serious. I’ll be here every night. You might as well get me some pajamas and a toothbrush.”
Despite her best efforts not to, Maddy laughed. She looked at Jacks and could see the faintest twinkle of light in his eyes.
“So what you’re saying is that I should just give in and let you make it up to me. Otherwise you’ll be tormenting me like this for the rest of my life?”
“Pretty much. Yeah.”
“Well.” She sighed. “What do you have in mind?”
“Come fly with me.”