Start by marking “The Writer's Compass: From Story Map to Finished Draft in 7 Stages” as Want to Read:
The Writer's Compass: From Story Map to Finished Draft in 7 Stages

The Writer's Compass: From Story Map to Finished Draft in 7 Stages

Map out your idea and finish your story in 7 stages!

This book will show writers how to develop their ideas into a finished novel by working through it in 7 stages, while learning how to mapping out their story's progress and structure so they can evaluate and improve their work. It teaches writers to visualize their story's progress with a story map that helps them see all
Published June 29th 2011 by Writer's Digest Books (first published May 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Writer's Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writer's Compass

Cari
Aug 07, 2013 Cari rated it did not like it
Shelves: writing, 2012
If you've never heard any writing advice and have never ever read any other book on writing, you’ll find The Writer’s Compass moderately helpful. If you have read elsewhere or even so much as passed by the open door of a classroom where a writing course was being held, this book is completely worthless. Trust me: you already know more than Nancy Ellen Dodd offers. Save your money and your time.

Before I delve into my passionate dislike of this book, let me speak of the good.

The cover is awesome,
Natalia
Nov 23, 2014 Natalia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book no doubt has a lot of valuable information. The author covers both classic and modern approaches to creative writing and provides a step-by-step formula for crafting a story.

It wasn't clear to me when purchasing this book that the writer was, predominantly, a scriptwriter. This influenced the tone of the book immensely and made the concepts less accessible/ useful to a novel writer. The first few chapters, also, were irritatingly introspective with lots of information about the author
Rose
Sep 25, 2011 Rose rated it really liked it
Nancy Ellen Dodd has a wonderful approach to writing using the seven step formula in "The Writer's Compass". Her approach to writing uses an easy to follow structure with several visual cues and questions in a way that's organized and engaging - choosing to blend techniques such as mindmapping and plotting details in tables with the different facets of one's story (characterization, plot, etc.) She also gives helpful suggestions and draws from her own experience and education in the explanation ...more
Andrea Judy
Aug 24, 2015 Andrea Judy rated it liked it
Some good tidbits but it didn't seem to say anything new or helpful enough to warrant a home on my permanent bookcase.
J M
Mar 13, 2012 J M rated it it was amazing
This book combines the collaborative efforts of a multitude of writers and workshops dealing specifically with screenwriting. Hence, it's sort of a cliff-notes to writing your first draft, along with the elements you need to keep the re-write process going. However, it's also presented in an almost maternal, or nurturing manner to help the budding writer get through the road blocks leading to living the writers life.

I have read many screenwriting books, taken courses, and attended workshops, and
Carolyn James
Oct 25, 2014 Carolyn James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
The Writer’s Compass is a comprehensive book promising to walk you through the stages of writing your novel from the first idea to sending it to a publisher. Overall there were some good parts, but it wasn’t what I was looking for. TWC asked a lot of questions to the writer to make sure you are being as comprehensive as you can be, but I wouldn’t use it to look back and forth to between every single stage of the writing process. Instead I took it as a book that offered some good tidbits of ...more
DH Hanni
Oct 09, 2014 DH Hanni rated it liked it
Learned a lot of ways to help me think more about my writing especially as I get ready for NaNoWriMo. Won't know if it was useful stuff until well after but I'm feeling really confident based on what I read. This book is good for people who like a more structured approach to writing or who are desiring to become more structured and organized in their writing.
Scott
Oct 14, 2012 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have very mixed feelings about this book on the craft of writing. I love the idea of the 7 stages and the ways to diagram/pictorialize the structure of the story. But I couldn't rate it higher than just a LIKE and I'm not sure why.
Tomigirl44
Sep 01, 2015 Tomigirl44 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

The author did a great job laying out the steps and providing thought provoking, helpful questions to ask while crafting one's story. I look,forward to reading more of this author and re reading this book.
Subject900
As someone who knows NOTHING about fiction writing, I found this book very helpful in getting the basics down.
Mel Walker
This was the textbook for a writing class I took. The class was insightful and a big reason was because of this book.
Anton Shelden
Anton Shelden rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Amy Seraphina
Amy Seraphina rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Tasneem
Tasneem rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2014
Vicky
Vicky rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Cari
Cari rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Chris Huecksteadt
Chris Huecksteadt rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Maricrystal/Century
Maricrystal/Century rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Don Wagnon
Don Wagnon rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Gigi
Gigi rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Sherise Allen
Sherise Allen rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Benet
Benet rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Myriam
Myriam rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • Getting the Words Right
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations & Compelling Characters
  • Creating Character Emotions
  • Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Robert's Rules Of Writing: 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively