Start by marking “TV Goes to Hell: An Unofficial Road Map of Supernatural” as Want to Read:
TV Goes to Hell: An Unofficial Road Map of Supernatural

TV Goes to Hell: An Unofficial Road Map of Supernatural

Bringing together elements of the road movie and the horror genre, Supernatural follows brothers Dean and Sam Winchester as they crisscross America, struggling to protect humanity from what lurks in the dark by battling monsters, witches, demons, angels, the Devil, and sometimes even each other. A natural heir to The X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural has d ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about TV Goes to Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about TV Goes to Hell

Aug 02, 2012 Dionisia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Supernatural

First things first, I am a BIG fan of this show! I thought it would be nice to relive the highlights from past seasons but wasn't quite sure what to expect of this television tie-in. It turned out to be s
Sep 26, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Is it disingenuous to be a fan of a book you contributed to (even in a small way)?

Actually, the most of the essays are really good, tight and thoughtful. And face it--the subject matter can't be beat.
Dec 01, 2011 Dhali rated it liked it
** Received as a First Reads Giveaway.

Really enjoying this - not abook to be read in a sitting but have been dipping into it for the last few weeks. SOme books of this type are really good (thinking Buffy & Philosoply and the LOTR & Philosoply) and some have been disappointing (Firefly). This is one of the good ones. It adds depth to the charcaters and points out much that I have missed or not properly appreciated. Read it if you're a fan!
Sep 22, 2011 Stepha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
I loved the essays in the book. It gives great insight into the characters, they are more real now then just watching them on TV or DVD. No wonder this particular show has such a following, if your a fan of the show you MUST read this book.
Joy Bishop
Apr 01, 2012 Joy Bishop rated it really liked it
Great book for a Supernatural fan.
Have you ever reached blindly into the fridge for your drink , expecting it to be - lets say Mountain Dew - and instead swallowed something else - we'll go with coconut milk? Do you remember the shock? The bit of throw-up you swallowed immediately after? The promise to yourself that you will never, EVER, drink before looking? That's kind of how this went down, with the swapping out of a serious headache in place of the vomit.

I expected a companion piece to the show, Supernatural. A more in-dept
Apr 04, 2013 Corrina rated it it was amazing
Read my full review at!

I’m a pop culture junkie, especially science fiction pop culture and fandom, so I love essay books like this. I’d have done my masters in pop culture studies instead of library science if I could have figured out a job to use it for…Well, maybe one day just for fun, when I’m old and retired (which will be never, at this rate). I really enjoy active participation in fandom as opposed to just passively and individually watching the shows (tho
Lori Schiele
Apr 21, 2012 Lori Schiele rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Not what I expected when I saw the title (I bought it online). I expected this to be one of those unauthorized books about a TV show with episode guides, photos, interviews, etc. Although this book *does* have an episode guide from season 1 -6, there was far more to it.

As quoted from part of the back cover: "...this collection of essays, written by leading scholars, situates the series within debates surrounding folklore, religion, comedy, gender and sexuality..."

Some of the contents include es
Jun 04, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
for fans only - lots of fun.
Dec 21, 2012 May rated it liked it
Needless to say, this book is a must read for Supernatural fans, although as I pointed out to one friend, in this case, I mean the TV series called Supernatural, and NOT the overall paranormal activities associated with the supernatural.

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, I have to admit that I was like "meh" for much of the book. Watching TV is akin to reading books for me. I watched a lot of TV and read a lot of books. I don't really like to dwell too much on them because quite frankly,
Orlanda Thompson
Late to the series ....

.. however, I'm a fan for life. Enjoyed the different points of views regarding the show. Just wish that some of the other SUPERNATURAL books (official companions), were available via the Kindle.
Apr 14, 2013 Latertuesday rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book, I really did.

It's too dry. I understand it's an academic book, but watching paint dry is more lively. My other issue is that none of the essays seem to provide insight, of any kind. Stating that the series fits a certain trope, for example, and then listing all the times it fits that trope does not make for a riveting read.

I've read marxist, and feminist, and colour/light based interpretations on LJ and Tumblr that have so much more intelligent things to say about the
Although I didn't really understand the ordering of essays, this is a nominal point that I don't even really need to mention. Editors Stacey Abbott and David Lavery present a well-compiled set of viewpoints that cover everything imaginable from seasons one through five. (But, alas, nothing substantial on my favorite episode, "Changing Channels"!) Definitely a recommended read for anyone interested in exploring further meta-analysis of Supernatural.
Jul 12, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
An interesting mix of discussion of the television series "Supernatural" that covers a range of topics including the mythology of the series, the use folklore and pop culture, the significance of religious allegory and how fans interact with the series. For a fan of the series, this is a informative read that provides plenty of food for thought even if you don't agree with the conclusions of all contributors.
Oct 20, 2016 Tenae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every time I try to read a collection of essays, I always get bored at some point. That's no less true for this novel.
Jaedyn Shelton
Jaedyn Shelton marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Veronica Garrett-alford
Veronica Garrett-alford marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Betty Jean
Betty Jean marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Elora Bolt
Elora Bolt marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Evita Steph
Evita Steph marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Lauren Connell
Lauren Connell is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2016
Katlyn marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Daniel added it
Oct 05, 2016
Samantha Millhouse
Samantha Millhouse marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Media rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Wit marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Timothy Ingram
Timothy Ingram marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Susy Roze
Susy Roze marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Danielle Becker
Danielle Becker marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Tiairrah Massey
Tiairrah Massey marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
  • The Mythology of Supernatural: The Signs and Symbols Behind the Popular TV Show
  • In the Hunt: Unauthorized Essays on Supernatural
  • Supernatural: The Official Companion Season 5 (Supernatural : The Official Companion, #5)
  • Supernatural -  Beginning's End Issue #1
  • The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls
  • Fangasm: Supernatural Fangirls
  • Rising Son
  • Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting (Supernatural)
  • Supernatural: The Roads Not Taken
  • Fan Phenomena: Supernatural
  • Supernatural and Philosophy: Metaphysics and Monsters... for Idjits
  • Rite of Passage (Supernatural, #10)
  • Fresh Meat (Supernatural, #11)
  • Coyote's Kiss (Supernatural, #8)
Stacey Abbott is Reader in Film and TV at Roehampton University
More about Stacey Abbott...