Start by marking “Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)” as Want to Read:
Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)

Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #14)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  5,698 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
The time of reckoning is close at hand. Events in the New York Times bestselling Star Wars The New Jedi Order series take a decisive turn, as the heroes of the New Republic prepare for their most volatile clash yet with the enemy—from without and within.

In the war against the ruthless Yuuzhan Vong, the fall of Coruscant leaves the New Republic divided by internal strife, a
Published June 28th 2011 by Del Rey (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Destiny's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destiny's Way

Scott Rhee
“War does not determine who is right---only who is left.” ---Bertrand Russell

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment.” ---Hunter S. Thompson

“It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.” ---William Shakespeare

The fourteenth installment of the New Jedi Order series, “Destiny’s Way” by Walter Jon Williams, focuses on the political spectrum within the Star Wars universe. Space battles and intergalactic action/adventure take a back seat in this one to committee meetings,
Crystal Starr Light
Jun 29, 2011 Crystal Starr Light rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
"What happens if you need a diplomat who can also practice philosophy fight with a lightsaber and levitate small objects? Who else are you going to call but us?"

Jacen is back! Sure he's brought his crazy, feathered friend, Vergere, on whose side, no one is sure, but Han, Leia, Luke, Mara, and Jaina are ecstatic. Meanwhile, the Galactic Alliance is voting for a new president and tearing at the pieces of the slowly deteriorating Yuuzhan Vong forces.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

A brief audiob
Jeff
Feb 05, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Destiny's Way took me a while, but it's not because it was uninteresting. The book is very complex, but not too much so. When you have a universe as complex as the Star Wars Universe, and at the same time, you have a story as complex as the New Jedi Order series, it would be very easy to let it get away from you.

The series is very story-driven, but there is an incredible amount of detail. Some authors tend to put way too much into their books, but this isn't one of them. There is simply too much
Janek Gabriel
Jun 20, 2016 Janek Gabriel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly one of the better books in New Jedi Order series, although it suffers from the same mistakes as its predecessors: Vongs are suddenly shown being passive, lacking initiative and without the military genius shown in beginning of the series. "The ultimate enemy" is now a rotting carcass of what it once was, which is quite frankly very sad, as the change happens overnight and without insight into their actions or to be more fitting lack of them.

There are funny moments here and there, but
Lindsey
Jun 21, 2010 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
One of the better novels of the series. Destiny's Way, like the other hardbacks, seems to pull together all of the disparate parts of the storyline from the NJO plot. The practical application of Jacen talents was welcome; Luke's turnabout on the Force a forseen but well done event; Vergere's continually enigmatic character was intriguing as always; the Knighting of the next generation of Jedi Knights was a nice symbolic touch on many levels; everyone being IN CHARACTER; all made this book a won ...more
Lindsey
Jun 21, 2010 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kyle
Jan 19, 2017 Kyle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit from the start that I'm biased against this book. Traitor was my favorite New Jedi Order novel, and one of my favorite Star Wars stories of all time. Compared to the beauty and intricacy of Matthew Stover's writing, I doubt I would have ever been happy with the follow up to Traitor.

That being said, this book leaves a lot to be desired.

William's writing is extremely bland, even by the more conventional standards of Star Wars novels. His characters have no life, his dialogue falls
Justin
Nov 25, 2016 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I am a big fan of the New Jedi Order series, I was not impressed by Destiny's Way. Unlike other books in the series, which were written by authors who were Star Wars fans and kept up with the other Star Wars novels, Williams came to the series having never previously read a Star Wars novel. This lack of familiarity shows itself in the way he uses the characters. They just don't seem to be the same characters we've been following these past few years. For example - Jacen had a major t ...more
Bradley
If I could choose a term that described my overall impression of this book, it would most likely be: pleasantly dissatisfied.

Yes, an oxymoron.

Simply put, I expected more from this book. The pleasant part comes from the way certain events played out, covering major ground without treading too heavily on any particular subject.

The dissatisfied part comes from the blandness of the writing. I could discern no noticeable style or flair to Williams' writing, though, to his credit I was never annoyed b
Jamie Fessenden
Jan 02, 2012 Jamie Fessenden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-wars
Although I have been an enormous "Star Wars" fan since before "A New Hope" was called "A New Hope," I haven't read many of the novels, apart from those predating "Return of the Jedi." However, I liked Walter Jon Williams' novel "Hardwired", so I thought I'd give this one a shot.

"Destiny's Way" comes very late in the New Jedi Order series, but I found it easy to figure out what was happening and who the major players were. I'm sure I missed some subtleties, but not enough to prevent me from enjoy
Aric
Nov 03, 2016 Aric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shane Amazon
Jul 29, 2013 Shane Amazon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having never read a Walter Jon Williams book before I was a little worried going in that I would read a book written by someone who had little knowledge of the historical EU and someone who would be overwhelmed by the expanding NJO storyline to this point. After reading the book I can honestly say that the book was quite good and showed none of the issues I was worried about. WJW has that elusive ability to write in a style that allows the reader to become wrapped in the story. The story is not ...more
Daniel
Jan 05, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I got distracted. Not necessarily because the book was bad, but because I got Pokemon X. Pokemon brings out some obsessive-compulsiveness in me... in that I have to catch every single one of the little creatures.

Anywho, after no small amount of prodding from my wife, I started reading again. I was a little apprehensive that picking up in the middle of the book would be difficult. Thankfully, it wasn't.

Before I took my giant reading break, I found Destiny's Way to be good, but not great. I
Michael Church
The main thing that got me through this book is that I'm now FINALLY so close to the end of this series and moving past the Yuuzhan Vong.

Overall, the book was pretty decent. It didn't do anything to win me over that much, though. I thought the plot was too detailed and convoluted. Yeah I get the political intrigue and the military maneuvers and all, but it gets boring. Theres just so much detail in the book. And it gets repetitive. I can only read about fighting coralskippers and Vong. There ju
William
Nov 05, 2011 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, hardcover
This is a great addition to the NJO series. We learned in the last book of the series, Traitor, that Jacen Solo was still alive. The first third of this book looked at his welcome back by his family and friends. Now, I am not the most sentimental guy, but I liked how the author staggered Jacen's return. He first meets up with his Uncle Luke, than Han & Leia, then finally his twin sister, Jaina. Each meeting was more and more emotional and touching for the young Jedi. The rest of the book fea ...more
Angus
Mar 01, 2016 Angus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The overall feeling of this book is great. I felt that the second to last chapter could have been better culminating in the resolution of this story, but everything else was just about right. There was a really good mixture of Jedi Council and Politics mixed in with the action.

Jacen's character is finally interesting after Traitor and this book and it is good to see him making decisions.

Jaina's character is fleshed out but the dramatic inner monologue is getting a bit tiresome. I hope she gets o
Frank Mikes
I enjoyed this book, partly because I found it so much better than the previous book in the series 'Traitor'. However, I feel that this book was written more to get the series back on track rather than for any great story to be told. It does this well but some of the things seem a little forced and while there were flashes of brilliance in Destiny's Way, a lot of it also seems a little clumsy.

Pacing is good as are the characters and I have to say that I'm impressed that the author has been able
Mark
The tide hasn't exactly turned in an actual in-universe sense in the NJO arc, but it's clear in the narrative that with the good guys finally finding some success, it's only a matter of time - though really the decisive victory's not won until the final book.

But anyway, the eponymous New Jedi Order discussion is what really begins here, as different characters with different ideas of what the Force is and what Jedi should be finally start to reconcile, and coalesce around friendly political figu
Yves
Aug 30, 2012 Yves rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, sf
La guerre fait toujours rage dans la Galaxie et rien ne semble aller bien pour les héros. Un vote va avoir lieu pour déterminer le nouveau chef de la Galaxie un seul est en faveur de la nouvelle Alliance Galactique. Jacen est de retour après le sacrifice héroïque de Ganner. Avec lui est venu Vergere qui pourrait détenir la clef pour la victoire. Cette clef serait la mystérieuse planète Zonoma Sekot (voit le livre Rogue Planet).

Ce n'est pas mon livre préféré de la série. Il est un peu long n'est
Luke Zwanziger
Jan 08, 2012 Luke Zwanziger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
What a solid read. This epic mega series has been building for this moment. A long philosophical approach to the force, its meaning, and its significance to the "force negative" Vong. Jason captured by the Vong, slowly shifts his view of the force. It is seriously a good read, but may not be best read without prior knowledge of the series.

It is a lot of work to read the other books that lay the grounds for this, but man, it is totally worth it. Williams writes just enough action, to support the
RumBelle
Apr 04, 2016 RumBelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
The tide turns for Luke and his friends. This book deals with a lot of issues of just how far you would go to defeat an enemy. Grand in scope, and in it’s battles, this is one of the most militaristic books in the series. Admiral Ackbar even returns to help his friends plan an ambush that will cripple the Yuuzhan Vong. You also learn a great deal about Verger, an enigmatic character who I at times liked, and at other times loathed. This is also where Jaina becomes the Sword of the Jedi, somethin ...more
Ashley
May 17, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Destiny's Way has some of my favorite quotes:

"I name you the Sword of the Jedi. You are like tempered steel, purposeful and razor-keen. Always you shall be in the front rank, a burning brand to your enemies, a brilliant fire to your friends. Yours is a restless life, and never shall you know peace, though you shall be blessed for the peace that you bring to others. Take comfort in the fact that, though you stand tall and alone, others take shelter in the shadow that you cast." - Luke Skywalker a
Rocky Sunico
Jan 21, 2016 Rocky Sunico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I appreciated the attention Williams applied towards strengthening a lot of the relationships in the book. For far too long we had only seen token affections between all the couples in the story so this was a welcome change.

More importantly, the book covered a critical moment in the entire New Jedi Order saga - that key point when the principles of the how the Jedi Order will move forward in a Yuuzhan Vong reality.

Plus it was nice to see Admiral Ackbar back in action as well.
Jiří Budinský
Aug 16, 2011 Jiří Budinský rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only problem with this book is, that I have read it after absolutely mindblowing traitor, besides that, this book is ok. Many things explained, new and returning characters are well described, space battles are to be remembered. Some technical and canonical flaws are prsesent, but nothing too serious. As I wrote above, only problem with this book is, that after Traitor it feels kind of shallow and reader expects more, but that would be foolish request, because this book gives enough to NJO serie ...more
Matthew Ashby
Mar 19, 2015 Matthew Ashby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I thought I wouldn't like this book. My reasoning was that the last book, Traitor, was so good and nothing could follow that. Well, I stand corrected. This is the only SW novel that Walter Jon Williams has written and call me a fan. Every action had a purpose and there are incredible moments in this book for both the heroes, villains and everyone in between. Could the New Jedi Order actually be getting good!? (Sees that the next three books are by Sean Williams) Crap.
Darrin
Mar 13, 2011 Darrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I thought this particular novel in this series was probably the best. Yes this story is large in scale but it is so much fun. This novel had more political content than some of the past installments and I found it more enjoyable. The character of Vergere becomes more of an influence and only makes the story a little more intriguing. I think her involvment with Jacen Solo will have a lasting affect on the rest of the series. I think I may have to pick up one of Walter Williams other novels.
Theresa
Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #14)
by Walter Jon Williams
the strength of old characters can save the universe again. Looking at the character development of the original cast of star wars characters in the first series of books. Walter Jon Williams looks at development of the Jedi powers after the Empire.
Nom Chompsky
Nov 01, 2016 Nom Chompsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always happy to see Mara Jade in her element, and to see someone cut Luke's piety down (go Vergere!). Felt realllll long, but I suspect I'm just at this point where I've read so much of this series that is has to start to drag, and that perhaps it was meant to be read as it came out, and not all at once in a rush. Looking forward to the close.
Michael
This book was a good read. It was reasonably well written. The plot line in this book is not horribly interesting, but there was one dogfight that I thought was highly interesting for it's unusual medium. The storyline of this book is not as interesting as some others, but is definitely a solid piece.
John Cook
Apr 13, 2013 John Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens or older.
Recommended to John by: Me.
This was one of the most compelling books in the series. It was well written, and full of moral dilemmas. Is Vergere's way of the Force good or bad or just twisted? Will the New Republic allow themselves to become what they are fighting? Will they use this new weapon to wipe out the Yuuzhan Vong race? And who will become the new Chief Of State of the New Republic?
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Rebel Stand (Enemy Lines, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #12)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Revelation (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #8)
Walter Jon Williams has published twenty novels and short fiction collections. Most are science fiction or fantasy -Hardwired, Voice of the Whirlwind, Aristoi, Metropolitan, City on Fire to name just a few - a few are historical adventures, and the most recent, The Rift, is a disaster novel in which "I just basically pound a part of the planet down to bedrock." And that's just the opening chapters ...more
More about Walter Jon Williams...

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)

“I can't help but wonder how the old Empire would have handled the crisis. I hope you will forgive my partisan attitude but it seems to me that the Emperor would have mobilized his entire armament at the first threat and dealt with the Yuuzhan Vong in an efficient and expeditious manner through the use of overwhelming force. Certainly better than Borsk Fey'lya's policy if I understood it correctly as a policy of negotiating with the invaders at the same time as he was fighting them sending signals of weakness to a ruthless enemy who used negotiation only as a cover for further conquests."

"That's not what the Empire would have done Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors or some other mistake and a hotshot enemy pilot would have dropped a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."

Dorja Han”
3 likes
“if a person of authority talks only to those who agree with him he soon finds himself out of authority.

Luke”