Start by marking “Goodbye, Friend: Healing Wisdom for Anyone Who Has Ever Lost a Pet” as Want to Read:
Goodbye, Friend: Healing Wisdom for Anyone Who Has Ever Lost a Pet

Goodbye, Friend: Healing Wisdom for Anyone Who Has Ever Lost a Pet

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For pet lovers, the loss of a cherished pet ranks almost as high as the loss of a close family member in terms of grief experienced. In Goodbye, Friend, Gary Kowalski takes you on a journey of healing offering warmth, guidance, and practical advice on how to deal effectively with death by honoring your animal companion's life. A superb and comforting book for both adults a ...more
Published July 25th 2006 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye, Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye, Friend

Andrea
I bought this today to try to get some comfort to ease the sadness and grief I've felt since my dog Peanut died on 01/19.

It did bring some smiles to my fact but overall, I still feel the same. It does give some advice about the grieving process, but nothing I didn't already know (eat right, get some exercise, take care of yourself, etc).

A few quotes I found sweet:

"'Until one has loved an animal,' wrote Anatole France, 'a part of one's soul remains unawakened.' Almost anyone who has ever let an
Doug Adams
A very important book, for a very important time of my life. Well done.
Maria
Though written by a clergyman, this beautifully written book does not have an overtly religious tone. There is one chapter that discusses religion which I skipped over. What is does offer is comfort, calm, and a reassuring voice that I needed desperately this week upon the passing of my beloved cat. Highly recommend.
Lee
Comfort and joy

I lost a beloved pet recently and it was a painful and difficult loss because he was hit by a car. I blame my self. this book will help heal.
Lindsay Ewing
This is just what i needed to reassure me that everything I'm feeling is normal. If you're dealing with the grief of losing a beloved pet, I highly recommend this.

And how fitting that the reason I read this book is right by my side in my profile picture.<3
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This was a very well done book. Helpful, and certainly emotional, the author did more than just go through the different stages of grief, but provided stories and ways to ease the transition between life with your pet, and life after their death.

I was a little afraid to read this, since the author is a minister - I was afraid the book would be too religious for my liking. But Kowalski talks about how humans have dealt with the loss of a pet for thousands of years, and how different religions ha
Erin
I'll just quote directly from the book, because that will tell you enough:

"Has life lost its melody? Take time to sit and listen to the music of a forest stream. Are you dejected? Pay attention to what the bluejay says to the mountain. If we are receptive, the beings who share our living planet can bring balm to our distress. They may not answer the question, 'why?' at least not in words. But as on eagle's wings, they can lift us above discouragement."

Wow. Thanks for the healing words, I feel so
Eva Leger
Jul 17, 2009 Eva Leger rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has lost a pet/ is losing a pet/will lose a pet- all pet owners
Recommended to Eva by: found it in a store
Wow- this has been the most helpful book so far that I've read since my dog died. Granted, I haven't read that many and I'm pretty picky with what I think I'll actually be able to read but this surpasses what I have read.
I was a little leery it would be too religious, with the author being a religious person, and it wasn't. It was about as religious as I am, which is somewhat with not being "overboard". (IMO.)
I definitely would recommend this to anyone who has ever owned a pet. It's helped me
Susie
Sometimes thoughtful, sometimes trite. Great quotes from other writers throughout. Overall helpful.

However, on p.114, the author discredits himself for some reason: "When the blow finally falls and [my dog of 10 years] dies, I may stagger a bit...For some reason, though, death no longer frightens me"

Well, the kind of person who picks up a book like this is not someone who just "staggered a bit."
Chris
Purchased this based on good reviews at Amazon. Found it distant and scientific. Based on others' experiences rather than his own. It is hard hard for me to read a book on pet loss when the writer's are still alive--and he talked about them. Mostly "people feel like this...." Was really looking for more comfort than I got.
Jo
This book had a lot of good, comforting wisdom and advice to help me after I lost my dear doggie Bob in August. It made me feel good, but also brought back some sadness over the loss since it got me thinking about it. That's okay, though, since it overall has helped me cope better than I ever thought I would!
Rosie
Too distant and scientific; quotes psychological studies, etc. Some good stuff, but much of the book is taken up by stuff that someone actually grieving wouldn't have the slightest interest in reading.
Mindi
Too religious for my taste
Lynn Sharp
Lynn Sharp marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Karen Powell
Karen Powell marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Lesley
Lesley added it
Nov 11, 2014
Karla
Karla added it
Nov 03, 2014
Tamara
Tamara is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Souls of Animals Revolutionary Spirits: The Enlightened Faith of America's Founding Fathers The Bible According to Noah: Theology as If Animals Mattered Blessings of the Animals: Celebrating Our Kindship with All Creation Science and the Search for God