Start by marking “The Finder” as Want to Read:
The Finder

The Finder

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Rhan knows what it means to bear the daemon’s visible mark. The Empire claimed and culled his childhood friend, and he has never forgiven the government for its callousness. When Rhan is assigned to help Imperial soldiers find a dangerous heretic, he is hard-pressed to keep his opinions—and his invisible advantages—to himself.

Surprisingly, one of the young guides in the hu
Published June 20th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published June 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Finder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finder

Hot Head by Damon SuedeTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneSomething Like Summer by Jay BellLatakia by J.F.  Smith
M/M Books Written By Men
73rd out of 921 books — 586 voters
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline CareyMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyAsh by Malinda LoThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
LGBT sci-fi and fantasy
96th out of 593 books — 571 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles
Sensual is the word for this book. The colorful sights of the town of Eben; lush descriptions of the breathtaking heights of the city of Chakragil. The abilities of the protagonist, Rhan. And of course, the beautiful love scenes.

It is a science fiction adventure with exploration, action, friendship, and romance.
Roger Kean
Some might consider The Finder science fiction, some might say it’s fantasy fiction. In any case, the novel intermingles both genres in an effortless way that shouldn’t put off anyone with a dislike for either. Indeed, this charming and beautifully crafted story writes its own genre. The strange power of Rhan fits into the action as though it were normal, whereas for Rhan it’s a death sentence if discovered. Can he trust handsome Aerik—potentially one of the enemy—with his secret? Brandon Fox cr ...more
Don Bradshaw
This was a good piece of fantasy. The world building was very well done and the story pulled the reader into the heart of it. The Empire has stood for hundreds of years but now some factions are beginning to question just how solid the tenets of the Empire are. Rhan, a young man with a gifted sense of smell is a finder. He looks for and finds ancient relics from before the daemon war when technology ruled. He is conscripted by the Empire to ferret out heretics along with Aerik, a young guide on ...more
Jaime
This is a fantastic gay romance based in a well-developed science fiction/fantasy story. I discovered Brandon Fox some years ago when I found his sword and sorcery trilogy. The cover art was awful, but I was delighted with the extremely well-written gay erotica I found inside. Sadly, those books are out of print. So, I was ecstatic when I learned that Dreamspinner Press was publishing a gay romance by him. They do high quality productions with beautiful covers, and this was no exception.

Rhan is
Feliz
This story is set in a fantasy dystopia, an unusual background that was very well done. Hundreds of years ago, the ancient empire went down in the Daemon Wars. From the ruins of the past, a new empire rose. The Tjumens apparently consider themselves superior to Rhan's people, who are mostly peasants and are tributary to the Tjumen.
Fear of the daemons, beings that can "mark" humans, rules this world, kept alive by the clergy. A "mark" can be everything that makes people different, unusual eye co
Cole Riann

I really, really enjoyed reading this book and was pleasantly surprised at how engaging the story and characters were. I'm very much looking forward to the sequel!
Michael Joseph
It's been a while since I read any science fiction. There doesn't seem to be much out there that really appeals to me. It's also been a long time since I read anything by Brandon Fox, but I have fond memories of his old sex and magic trilogy, which were fun reads in many respects.

The Finder marks Fox's return to the publishing world, and it's quite a return, with all the elements you expect from this author. Although the truth unfolds slowly, The Finder is set in a future post-apocalyptic world
Rocky Nine
I loved it intensely and found myself reading several sections of the story twice just for the sheer joy of the experience. Brandon Fox brings intangible attributes (emotion, awareness and sensations) vividly forward through the use of finely crafted imagery, placing you into the minds of the characters in an immediate and perceptible fashion.

“Happiness magnified his beauty like a gemstone being held to the sun.” or “Rhan was intoxicated by his friend’s virile scent. Desire radiated from his sk
ManOhMan
Reviewed by Joe: It’s always nice when a book sucks me in with the first chapter. I know that I’m going to be in for a treat and that’s exactly what The Finder, the new novel by Brandon Fox did. I had never read any of Mr. Fox’s work before but was not surprised to find out that his books have been ranked very highly on Amazon. I have no doubt this one will find its rightful place among them.

Mr. Fox has a very good ear for dialogue and a very skilled way of painting the scene for his reader. You
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
Quite the future, to bad that we still do not seem to have learned from the past.

The world of The Finder could be described as a post apocalyptic fantasy. It has been several hundred years since a great war between men who embraced technology (the daemons) and those who rejected it was fought and the anti-technology side won. The Empire now searches out remnants of the past to control the present and any knowledge of the past.

Rhan is a finder with a difference he is loathe to reveal because he
Don
Very well-written and imaginative story that includes romance (and erotic sex), action and intrigue. The ending is satisfactory but leaves you longing for a sequel.
Jerry
Very unusual fantasy time and place, beautifully written wih gorgeous locals and devious charachters and fine upstanding MCs. A word of caution for those who want their monogamous relationships, there is a three way. Not sure where it will lead in the next book. A great deal of trust is built up among the MCs as a great amount of political/religious upheaval is caused by the "finding" of a technology that threatens the existing power structure. I eagerly await the sequel...or will it take a tril ...more
Eh
I'm not all the way through the book yet. I like the characters and the mildly dystopian/feudal setting, but I feel like they were all conceived and live mostly in the moment. For instance, did Rhan have any great adventures in finding before he got picked up to help sweep for heretics? Did Aerik have any songs or dances that he really thought were awesome or magnificently horrible? Did Maiko do anything in his life beside grumble and provide a stereotype of a disagreeable person? Save or kill a ...more
Cotilla
It's good, although the threesome seemed rather sudden, and the ending is too open for my tastes.
Byron
I'm writing this review a bit later than I normally would after finishing a book..

This was a good first read of an author for me.

I really enjoyed the writing style. The story moved along quite well and was always engaging. I found the first third of the book a bit chaotic, possible would have done better with more back story at the start than in bit's and pieces. Overall though it worked and whilst mildly distracting it wasn't disturbing.

Characters were really well formed. With good distributio
Furio
Believe it or not, my doubts about this short novel (240 pages? I have the Kindle therefore I can only guess, but how widely were the lines spaced in print?) do not arise from its cheesy cover or by the exaggerated cover price for the paperback. The plain fact is that it took me about two weeks to finish it because I was always putting it down to do or read something else.

While not extraordinary it is not badly written, grammar is in order, there are no inconsistencies and the author manages goo
Anatheia
I'm a bit disappointed because even if the story was good, well written and the world well described, nothing was resolved. The end is completely open and it feels like an introduction. The best has yet to happen. We were only introduced to this world, the characters and the foes.

Nevertheless, I liked the MCs even though the threesome was rather sudden and was more about comfort than love. We don't know if the menage is permanent (it happens at the end).

A sequel seems rather unlikely. Three ye
BhaktiM
Well, I am not quite sure how to review this one. I am giving it only 4 stars, but I am adding it to my favorites. I loved the characters I loved the eroticism, and I thought the writing was good. But, to give it 5 stars, it would have to be a little heavier I think. I am sitting here trying to figure out why I would not give 5 starts since I loved reading it. Maybe the things are like are not always the best, I can like Madonna but realize she is not Beethoven. This book was very fast paced, I ...more
Jeff
I can't finish because I heard a spoiler that said there was going to be a threesome. I couldn't read on because of that fact. I felt that the relationship between the two boys shouldn't be shared like that. I just have different feelings on how open a relationship should be than Mr. Fox does. I was really enjoying the book so far and I'm finding it a shame to put down. Maybe I'll pick it up another day to finish...
Tammy K.
I enjoyed this story. Its high fantasy nature stirred up my imagination. I thought the character development was good. I liked the MC. The romance/intimacy scenes were well written. This is a story with a Political/spiritual message. The ending was somewhat sharp, but I see that this is the first in a series. I look forward to reading the second book to see how this adventure continues and ends.

Steve_ski
Bought it on Sunday and finished it up on Monday. Really like the underlying story and the romance/friendship of the main characters. Couple of loose ends and I was disappointed at the ending (pretty much that it ended where it ended, not so much in the story itself). Can see where these could be a multi volume story over several generations even and looking forward to more from this universe.
Roclaf Alter -Ego
I really liked this book. I thought it was an interesting story line and I generally liked the characters - even the bad ones. My only complaint is that the ending leaves you hanging - great for a second volume which I hope the author has written or working on.

This book is not heavy reading, but it is fun.
Antonella
2,5

Plus points: in general a sweet story, no info-dumping for the sake of the world building
Minus points: insta-love, too much sex, cliche characters (good guys too good, bad guys too bad), abrupt end (I suppose there will be a sequel, still...).
Nightcolors
3.5 stars. The ending was somewhat abrupt. I hope there's a sequel. :) There were a couple too many descriptive sex scenes than I like to read; I skimmed through those. But I really enjoyed the world building and adventure.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by:Gawain
Genre: M/M Fantasy
Rated: 4 hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Tj
Jan 01, 2015 Tj rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Wonderful world building. Though the story ends rather abruptly (I have hopes for a sequel) the story is very well plotted and just has you dragged in.
Kris
Liked it, although the second half of the book was a bit too rushed for me in some places, including the ending.
Tamarrion Lash
Слишком много буков, ниасилил. Отличный пример того, как неплохая идея гибнет при плохом исполнении.
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
  • Dreamlands (Dreamlands #1)
  • By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre, #3)
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • The Vanguard
  • Ash and Echoes (Blessed Epoch, #1)
  • Hell Cop 2
  • Canes and Scales
  • Thick as Thieves (Thick as Thieves, #1)
  • 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1)
  • Bound (Kria, #2)
  • Beloved Captor
  • In the Darkness
  • The Given & The Taken (Tooth and Claw, #1)
  • The Starving Years
  • Hammer & Air
  • Outcast Mine
  • Ghost Star Night (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • Living Words
Apprenticed to Pleasure (Pledged to Magic, #1) Conjuring the Flesh (Pledged to Magic #2) Sex Rites (Pledged to Magic, #3)