Start by marking “Midnight Sin” as Want to Read:

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When a rookie cop walks on to the midnight shift, the lines between right and wrong become blurred. Every step he takes and every decision he makes has unforeseen consequences. His life will never be the same.
Becoming a cop changes everything you thought you knew about life. "Midnight Sin" is an inside look at the dark and mysterious world behind the cop's b
Published April 1st 2011 by Total Recall Publications Inc. (first published March 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Sin

Murder! Too Close To Home by J.T. LewisEveryone Burns by John DolanMidnight Sin by Michael TabmanInto the Killer Sphere by Stefania MattanaCutting Right to the Chase by Stefania Mattana
Best Debut Mystery Series
3rd out of 114 books — 185 voters
Taste of Fire by Jeannie Faulkner BarberThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonClosure by Angela Ford
Best Modern Mystery, Crime fiction
25th out of 598 books — 705 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie F
I just finished this book and loved it. It started out with some exciting and tense action and from those events the story unfolded in ways I would have never guessed. As a big CSI fan, this is one of the best police stories I have read. You really felt you were working with the main character (a rookie cop) and could feel what he was going through. One of the best scenes was an Internal Affairs investigation - it was intense. I am looking forward to the sequel, and will not be surprised to see ...more
Darcia Helle
Midnight Sin is an interesting look into the life of a rookie cop. This book started out a little slow for me, often reading more like a cop's journal than a crime novel. Halfway through, the pace picked up and the story took off from there.

A cop writing a book about cops always intrigues me. In Michael Tabman's first novel, he gives us an inside view of how they handle crime and one another. He holds nothing back, dealing with ambition, crooked cops and Internal Affairs while struggling to cat
Disclaimer: I'm an incorrigible police procedural/mystery/crime drama book fiend, so I may be a bit biased as to the subject matter. However, the second I picked up Midnight Sin, I was hooked.
The story is told from the point of view of Gary Hollings, a rookie cop in the Westland Park Police Department, a suburban precinct bordering on Kansas City. For a suburban patrol cop, Hollings sees a great deal of action: rapes, officers down, and a hell of a lot of corruption inside the department.
Dellani Oakes
Aug 27, 2011 Dellani Oakes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
"Midnight Sin" by Michael Tabman is a realistic look at the world of police work. Told from the perspective of young officer, Gary Hollings, "Midnight Sin" reveals the investigation of a major crime spree—a serial rapist.

When we first meet Gary, he's a rookie working with his training officer, Thompson. To Gary's eyes, Thompson appears to be a self-possessed, experienced officer. Hollings begins to see his flaws, realizing that Thompson is also an arrogant jerk who enjoys belittling other offers
Author: Michael Tabman

Reviewed by Fran Lewis

Rookie cops have a lot to learn often at the hand of those more experienced. Instinct, gut feelings, trust and watching the back of their fellow officers is paramount to surviving on the job and making sure your back is watched and protected too. Officer Gary Hollings wants to move up in the ranks of the KC Police Department. Working with many seasoned officers, listening, observing and following their directions would work to helping him t
Chris Jamison
Stepping up to the plate for the first time with Midnight Sin, Michael Tabman hit it out of the ball park. The story is packed with adventure and mystery. Excellent character development. You will breeze through this book.

I just read a good review of his other book. Think I'll try it.
The Pen & Muse
Midnight Sin is an action packed, heart pounding and thrilling read! Be prepared for this one because you’ll want to read it all day without stopping. I know I couldn’t! The story surrounds rookie cop Gary Hollings quickly learns that wrestling street thugs and arresting drug dealers while trying to track down a serial rapist is nowhere near as tough as watching his back from his fellow cops. He must also fight his inner demons – ones he never knew he had until he put on that police uniform. Tab ...more
Wow! I really enjoyed this book. It had everything, drama, action and above all it explored the human condition and from a male perspective. It asks the moral question again and again, does the end really justify the means? What I like most about this book is that it was a good cop/crime novel (liberally laced with sex!) but it also made you question your own moral compass. So not only was it a fun read it had mental nourishment as well. I'm looking forward to author Tabman's next novel!

Since it
Annette Bagley-martin
Midnight Sin ~ by Michael Tabman

Gary Hollings, rookie cop at the Westland Park Police Department, learns early on that his biggest lessons were learned after leaving the police academy.

Michael Tabman will keep you guessing at every turn who the bad guy could be. What you’re not prepared to find is that there is a little bit of bad guy and hero in us all, which one do you let the world see…..which one do you let out only at night?

Midnight Sin is a definite must read, with a tale that stays with
Pamela Kaye

As I promised you last week at your book signing, I finished Midnight Sin and signed on to Goodread to write a review. Congratulations on writing such a terrific book. It was a fascinating story with a great plot, interesting characters, suspense and plenty of tension. I honestly could not put it down. I am trying to figure out which character was based on you. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. I will read your other book and look forward to your next novel. Is there a Midnigh
Michael Tabman
Oct 25, 2011 Michael Tabman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This book was inspired by true crime - a case I worked as a plain clothes cop. Take a look at the dark and mysterious world behind the cop's badge.

Law and Order Producer Peter Giuliano said, "Michael has reached deep inside and managed to capture his heart and soul as a cop. My heart was pounding. This is a powerful story told by someone who has captured the feelings of all of us, no matter which side of the law you happen to be on."

Joe Glenn
That went fast. I read this book in a couple of days. From the first page, he's got you hooked. There's alot of action and every time something happens, you start wondering what's going to happen next. Its obvious that the author was a cop. He's got the language and how they do things down pat. Its very realistic while being alot of fun to read. The story had some good surprises and you felt close to the main characters. Read it!!
I reallly enjoyed reading this book.
It had excellent character development and extremely well written dialogue.
The story was exciting and suspenseful -- really held my interest from page one.
It was more than just a "cop story".
I highly recommend it.
Kathy Roberts
I enjoyed the book tremendously. The journey through a smaller police force through a rookies eyes was so interesting. A fast paced read that kept me guessing til the end of the book ...and beyond. I am waiting for a sequel and hoping there is one.
Paul Bollinger
Excellent book. Great story and character development. The author is more than just telling a fictional story. If you read between the lines, you will enjoy this book even more. This author has a unique style. I highly recommend this.
A very interesting police procedural with some minor flaws that, for me, did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. It follows the experiences of Hollins, a rookie cop, in a mythical suburb of Kansas City. Hollings' first test involves a gas station holdup where Burkitt, a rather self-absorbed cop who wants nothing more than to be a detective, arrives first on the scene, followed by Hollings and Thompson, his training officer. What happens next is the subject of an IAD investigation but Holl ...more
In the first part of this novel there were a lot of scenes involving some sexual content. That put me off a bit, but as the story line developed I found out why others said they couldn’t put it down. This is a top notch police story.
This book was so poorly written. No plot per say, no drama or suspense. I only finished it because I feel committed to finishing something I start. This was punishment.
A.B. Shepherd
Read my review of Midnight Sin and all my reviews here:
Alan Zendell
If you have family members or friends who are cops, you should read this book. If you depend on cops to protect your family you should read this book. If you have great respect and admiration for cops you should read this book. If you don't particularly like cops you should read this book.

There are many criteria for reviewing a book. For me, the most important one is whether it communicates something of value to the reader. Most of us can't really fathom what a cop's life is like. He or she is j
My rating is more of a 1.5

I was so excited to read this book; it sounded very interesting and I've not read a book dealing with this subject matter. But as I got deeper into the story I found myself waiting for something to happen, for the plot to develop, and it never really did. There were a few, what felt like, sub-plots throughout but none of them were really developed enough. However it did seem to be quite a realistic portrayal of police life.

The writing wasn't really anything special, see
Hank Wallerman
This is an incredible story about a rookie police officer facing professional and personal challenges. What I really like about this book is how it got deep into the mind not only of the main character, but of the other police officers and the criminals. As you read the book, you learn alot about police procedures and watch the rookie develop into a more mature police officer and person. This book a must read and I can see it as a movie.
Mike Younkers
There were parts of this book that I really enjoyed. I liked the direct insight into life on patrol. My Dad was a police officer for 23 years and I always wanted this kind of insight. Unfortunately, I found this to be a bit predictable and entire sections were drawn out too much up front and wrapped up to quickly in the end. In general, I liked it but couldn't give it more than 3 stars.
There were lots of things I liked about this book. I think it gave a glimpse into a cop's life and the kinds of problems he faces. However, I would have liked to see more resolution in the ending. It was just left hanging! I know all cases aren't solved, but I like my books to end with "who done it"!
Great book. It is a realistic, no holds barred look at a young patrolman's first couple years in a crazy squad. To some, that may sound like it goes over mundane police work but that is not the case at all. The book is easy to read and hard to put down. It has a great protagonist in Gary Hollings.
Jan 01, 2013 Patty added it
loved it
Eric Hannemann
Eric Hannemann marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Christy Rene'
Christy Rene' marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Soukayna marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
  • Facing the Son, A Novel of Africa
  • Disintegration: A Windy City Dark Mystery
  • Thalo Blue
  • Little Visible Delight
  • Pocket-47 (Nicholas Colt, #2)
  • Thin Blood
  • Tear Drop (Detective Elizabeth Ireland, #1)
  • A Touch of Deceit
  • Digger's Bones
  • Poisoned Soil
  • Hellbender
  • A Blossom of Bright Light (Jimmy Vega Mystery, #2)
  • Sounds of Murder (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery #1)
  • The Ghost Man
  • The Interrogator's Notebook
Michael Tabman was born and raised in New York City. He graduated from John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan, NY. After serving as a police officer for three years with the Fairfax County VA police department, on patrol, in plain clothes and as a hostage negotiator, he joined the FBI. Michael, a 24 year FBI veteran, investigated crimes ranging from white collar to bank robberies, organ ...more
More about Michael Tabman...
BAD INTENT Volume 1 Walking the Corporate Beat: Police School for Business People BAD INTENT Volume 3 BAD INTENT Volume 2 Bad Intent