Start by marking “I Speak For This Child: True Stories of a Child Advocate” as Want to Read:
I Speak For This Child: True Stories of a Child Advocate

I Speak For This Child: True Stories of a Child Advocate

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In “I Speak For This Child” bestselling novelist Gay Courter recounts her experiences as a Guardian ad Litem, a volunteer court-appointed advocate for children (CASA) involved in Florida’s court system. Following her first tentative approach to her local program to her more determined efforts, we get an insider’s glimpse on this hidden world and learn what it takes to ensu ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Egret E-Book Editions (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about I Speak For This Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Speak For This Child

Lessie
This is the only book (!) I could find written by a guardian ad litem about her experiences speaking for children in state custody. Surely there are others -- I just haven't found them yet. :) As someone serving as a GAL, Gay Courter's experiences are helpful and encouraging. I found her writing style compelling -- except for the very last chapter, which dragged and dragged. I confess I skipped to the end. I also found her writer's voice to be a bit arrogant and know-it-all for my taste. I tende ...more
Nicole
As a new CASA (or Guardian ad Litem in this case) or for someone that is considering becoming one, this was a great read. It displayed how one person can make a huge difference in a child's life. Gay Courter is an amazing woman who really dives into the system to advocate for her children.
Heather
Worth reading for anyone considering becoming a child advocate.
Liz
I loved being able to see through the eyes of a CASA worker. As a Social Worker myself and working with children whom many are involved with the county, I am a huge advocate for the CASA program. Amazing individuals who volunteer their time for these extraordinary children. Gay's experiences rang true to what some of these children face and the passion it takes to fight for these children.
Ellyn
This book tells about the author's experiences working as a Guardian ad Litem, a volunteer court-appointed advocate for children (the equivalent of a CASA in many states), in Florida. The author recounts several of the cases that she worked on, mostly with teenagers, and in doing so, she touches on many of the problems and difficulties inherent to the child welfare system in our country. Not exactly an uplifting book when you look at the big picture, but on a small scale, it makes you realize th ...more
Janie
Case studies of the author's extensive volunteer work representing foster children for the courts. While her efforts may not break the cycle of violence and misfortune, she shows how they can have a meaningful impact in the daily lives of struggling kids.
Kathy
Very informative book on being a child advocate. Found it useful in addressing the need for and responsibilities of such a person. Would highly recommend it for anyone thinking of volunteering in this capacity. Even one person can make a difference in a child's life.
Dana
This book totally changed my perspective on becoming a GAL. My passion for representing child and their rights has increased. I really enjoyed this book!!!
Connie Barillas
Good overview of the CASA/GAL role in ... I'm forgetting the state. New England, if I remember right.
Gina
If you're interested in what a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) does for kids in the foster care system, this is a good book to read. It was written 10 years ago so some things have changed, and state laws vary so different rules may apply to CASAs who are in states other than Florida where this author lives. Still, it will give the reader a very good idea of how CASAs assist foster children.
Amanda Dunmire
Amanda Dunmire marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Darcy Markee
Darcy Markee marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Julianne Reeher
Julianne Reeher marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Nic
Nic marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Jessica Jenne
Jessica Jenne marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Lyn-Daisha Combs
Lyn-Daisha Combs marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Graham Polando
Graham Polando marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Jeannine Spurgin
Jeannine Spurgin is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015