Start by marking “The Sword of the Spirits (The Sword of the Spirits, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sword of the Spirits (The Sword of the Spirits, #3)

The Sword of the Spirits (The Sword of the Spirits #3)

Published October 31st 1989 by Simon Pulse (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword of the Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword of the Spirits

David Nichols
Feb 21, 2011 David Nichols rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last volume of John Christopher's science-fantasy trilogy pays off, with interest, the narrative promise of the first two books. Luke Perry begins THE SWORD OF THE SPIRITS at the summit of his ambitions, enthroned as Prince of Winchester and betrothed to Blodwen, the most beautiful woman in the known world. Christopher quickly turns this fairy-tale beginning into a dark narrative of revolution, retribution, and self-destruction. Luke provides a premonition of the coming revolution by breakin ...more
Sahar
Jan 22, 2017 Sahar rated it really liked it
این کتاب به نسبت دو کتاب قبلی این مجموعه با روندی سریعتر حوادث را روایت میکند و بسیار ساده و قابل فهم برای سنین پایین، جریان شکل گیری یک دیکتاتور و تقابل مذهب و علم را به تصویر میکشد. بر خلاف تصورم، کتاب واقعا لذتبخشی بود.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Sword of the Spirits(The Sword of the Spirits #3), John Christopher
عنوان: شمشير ارواح
J.J. Rodeo
این کتابو تو دوره نوجوونی خوندم. الان بعد از ده-پونزده سال، هنوز بعضی از صحنه های کتاب تو ذهنم زنده ن. داستان یه آینده سیاه رو از بشریت نمایش می داد و شخصیت ها، در محیطی ناامن و خطرناک زندگی می کردند.

Caleb
Aug 25, 2015 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His city gets taken over but he gets it back using machines
Marcia Van Camp
Apr 15, 2011 Marcia Van Camp rated it it was ok
such an odd book
Joshua
Dec 26, 2016 Joshua rated it it was amazing
JoshuasBookReviews

When I first found Prince in Waiting, the first book of this trilogy, it was through searching for books with 'gray morality'. Now, this third and final book does not disappoint! It fully lives up to being the 'Game of Thrones for kids' that I hoped it would be.

Now that Luke, the main character, has returned from the adventure beyond the burning lands, the politicking is back in full swing. Cities need to be conquered, political enemies are waiting for a chance to strike, and Luke still doesn't
Gale
SWORD? SPIRITS? BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

The title does not mean much, either for the book itself or for the series. The middle book ended on a sad note, but this one concludes on a tragic (or pathetic) note. Christopher does leave room for a possible fourth book, but Luke, the protagonist, has not undergone any real character development after all the ordeals in this trilogy. Now he is a young adult who has antagonized almost everyone who likes or loves him. The author seems to have painted himself
Mitchell
Jun 10, 2015 Mitchell rated it really liked it
This is the third and final book in Christopher’s Sword of the Spirits trilogy, and I have to say, I can’t think of any other trilogy in which the name is derived from the title of the last entry rather than the first.

Having killed his brother at the climax of Beyond The Burning Lands, Luke is now the ruler of Winchester, and is working to consolidate his power while the Seers – openly a religious order, but secretly working to restore technology to the world – assist him. Other factions, includ
Rebecca
I was not expecting the ending of this trilogy--and that is a good thing. I know many readers will be left wondering what just happened. That's because The Sword of the Spirits explores philosophical themes and the human condition in a way that is unique in the canon of John Christopher's young adult books. Firstly, why does no one talk about this trilogy as a retelling of the legend of King Arthur? A boy who is raised in the lower classes, suddenly has a prophecy for greatness, becomes a king w ...more
Mads Kamp
Feb 02, 2017 Mads Kamp rated it really liked it
This just took a turn...

I started out the series expecting a somewhat straightforward YA-story about a prodigy-boy finding his feet as a wise ruler of the lands.
Boy, have I been sursprised!
The first book lulles you in. The second has you starting to question the motives of both Luke (the protagonist, Luke Perry to be exact ;)).
Now after the third and final book, I bow my head in respect for John Christopher. Young Luke suddenly turned into a spitefull human being. Wanting revenge and going for
Anie
A good conclusion to the trilogy. I found myself unable to put the book down - I really, really wanted to know what was going to happen next. The ending is excellent, and I think far better than most "children's" fantasy. Christopher is unafraid to write a protagonist with flaws or a non-fairy tale ending, and it makes the book shine. Overall, a fun series.
Shady Lubbad
Aug 28, 2015 Shady Lubbad rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, but I hated the ending... what the hell was that about... that is not an ending... especially if there was no other book being made? come on... if i know this was going to be the ending i would have not wasted my time with this book... come on.... some one needs to write another book finishing this story....
Kevin
Sep 30, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it
This is the final installment in the series of the same name, and it wrapped up well. I continue to be amazed at how packed these older novels are. In one chapter, twenty pages, Christopher does as much as would often take up half of a longer novel. Yet, it still doesn't feel skimpy or shallow. These are quick books, but quality.
Ines
Jun 27, 2011 Ines rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow. Quite an unexpected but very good and thought provoking ending to the trilogy. Spoiler warning: DO NOT READ THE VERY LAST SENTENCE OF THE BOOK BEFORE YOU GET THERE! It'll ruin the whole experience.
Elaine Nelson
Jun 03, 2012 Elaine Nelson rated it really liked it
I remember that there were some interesting twists in the final volume...but 6 months later, I don't remember what they were! But I do want to read it again sometime.
Greg
Young adult my be pushing it, but I enjoyed it anyway
John
Aug 29, 2007 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
what I learned from this book is to never give up on your true love even know you THINK she is cheating on you.
Nathaniel
Aug 23, 2015 Nathaniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked it.
Mark Odonohue
Mark Odonohue rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2008
Alireza B.
Alireza B. rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Ali
Ali rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Mike Porch
Mike Porch rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2012
Frederick Kroetsch
Frederick Kroetsch rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Bahareh Atoufi
Bahareh Atoufi rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Nick Boldrini
Nick Boldrini rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Rob Dennis
Rob Dennis rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2008
bluertide
bluertide rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
  • This Time of Darkness
  • The Runaway Robot
  • The City Under Ground
  • Wyjście z cienia
  • Unexpected Tales from the Ends of the Earth
  • رستاخیز فرا می‌ رسد ( پارسیان و من ,#3)
  • Akiko and the Great Wall of Trudd
  • A Dark Horn Blowing
  • The Illustrated Roger Zelazny
  • The Twin in the Tavern
  • The Shakespeare Stealer Series (The Shakespeare Stealer #1-3)
  • Realm of Light (The Ruby Throne Trilogy, #3)
  • Skymaze (Space Demons Trilogy, #2)
  • Illustration School: Let's Draw Cute Animals
  • Scavenger's War (The Marlowe Transmissions, #1)
  • Memoranda
  • A SteamPunk's Guide to the Apocalypse
  • Drowning Towers
2001324
Sam Youd was born in Lancashire in April 1922, during an unseasonable snowstorm.

As a boy, he was devoted to the newly emergent genre of science-fiction: ‘In the early thirties,’ he later wrote, ‘we knew just enough about the solar system for its possibilities to be a magnet to the imagination.’

Over the following decades, his imagination flowed from science-fiction into general novels, cricket nove
More about John Christopher...

The Sword of the Spirits (3 books)
  • The Prince in Waiting (The Sword of the Spirits, #1)
  • Beyond the Burning Lands (The Sword of the Spirits, #2)

“You would always beat me; not so much because you are a better fighter as because you will not accept defeat.” 22 likes
“It is because they are so strong that she hides her feelings.” 20 likes