Start by marking “Read My Lips: A Complete Guide to Vaginal and Vulvar Health, Culture, and Pleasure” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Many, if not most, people remain in the dark about the actual workings of the vagina and vulva. The primary purpose of Read My Lips is to educate women and men about the vulva and vagina in a manner that is smart, informative, and entertaining. Readers, both women and men alike, will come to think differently about women's genitals and become a little more curious and a lo ...more
Published November 16th 2011 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc. (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Read My Lips, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Read My Lips

Jaime (Twisting the Lens)
All of my reviews are originally published at:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Twat, cunt, vag, coochie, pussy va-jay-jay- no matter what you call it, for most, the vagina is a mysterious force that must straddle the dichotomy of two worlds- the image of purity and giver-of-life and the image of tempting seductress. It is easy to see why we do not know as much as we should about this amazing organ, an
Adam Shields
Nov 23, 2011 Adam Shields rated it really liked it
Short review: Yes I am a guy, yes I read a book about Vulvas. Get over it, they are important to straight guys too.

On the whole I thought it was a fairly good and positive book. I was more interested in the cultural part than the health and pleasure part, but I thought the whole was good. There are two authors and one of them is funnier than the other. The health portions were a little dry and really addressed probably too wide of a range of issues for most readers. Everyone will find info that
Jennifer Rinehart
Nov 10, 2011 Jennifer Rinehart rated it really liked it
This is a review of a book about vaginas and vulvas. If you faint at the sight of Janet Jackson's breast or if spicy talk make's you swoon, best keep moving, things are about to get real.

First off, when people are talking about vaginas, the region they are speaking of is actually, the vulva (so right there, I learned something new). Vulva and Vagina are not interchangeable terms and should not be used as such.

Here are some more gems of wisdom from the book;

1. Don't Douche, it damages natural flo
Zola
Aug 14, 2013 Zola rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-health
“Read My Lips”is an informative and engaging book. It’s neither a simple owner’s manual nor Our Bodies, Ourselves for a new generation. That's not to say that this is a bad thing, only different. It's full of interesting facts, first-person accounts of experiences with vulvas, and health information, and punctuated with warm humor. By choosing to write in a personal friendly, somewhat breezy tone, the authors take changes in social perspectives and communications styles into account; teen-to-mid ...more
Naomi
Jan 06, 2012 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Alright, I received this book from the publisher today off Netgalley and have not been able to "put it down". This book had alot of buzz in my Goodreads group, Sisterhood of the Traveling Book, and I can see why. Although this book has alot of important information for women to understand related to their own bodies, the authors did it in an engrossing and fun manner. I am very happy I requested this book and agree with some of the reviews I have read on it that it should be required reading, pa ...more
Jessica
Sep 12, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book was downright fascinating. It is amazing how little a lot of women know about their own body (and by women I mean me). I didn't give the book 5 stars because there was some cheesy super feminist tree huggy stuff closer to the end, BUT the first half was really informative. I recommend that women take the time to read it, or if you are a man feeling a bit lost, it might be useful to you too.
earthy
Dec 28, 2011 earthy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Sure, the cutesy terminology and tone can get a bit grating, and not everyone is into vulva-related crafts (!), but the basic info contained here, along with the refreshingly body-positive attitude, make this definitely a book worth reading, particularly for young women or anyone interested in what actually goes on Down There and why it matters.
Aja
Jan 03, 2012 Aja rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book and a must read for pretty much anyone. The conversational style is easy to read and understandable for readers at any level. The information that is presented in thourough and unbiased. Even the most self-aware women haves something to learn from it. Show/discover/embrace some vulvapride and read this book!!!
Elaine
Jun 16, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing
I was surprised to find this in the library here in the USA, considering how on TV over here bare bottoms are fuzzed-out and women always seem to have sex with most of their clothes on. It is an enlightening and fascinating book which made me think and made me laugh, too. I recommend it!
Kari
Jan 24, 2012 Kari rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2012
Very interesting and informative book. Not something I would normally read, but I was intrigued when I saw it on Netgalley. The authors mix in humor with well researched facts. Definitely worth a peek. Maybe some men should take a peek as well.
Wendy
Dec 29, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: dec-11
This book was very well researched and well written. No question could have possibly been left unanswered.
It was technically informative, thought provoking and relatively entertaining.
Full of crafts and party ideas as well.
Nicole
I think every woman should read this no matter how much they think they know about their lady bits. No matter what you'll learn something new and even take away a new craft project or two...

Received this from NetGalley.
Steve
Sep 06, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
A comprehensive guide for both owners of said equipment and fans thereof. Both highly informative and written for non-clinicians, this deserves inclusion in the sex/sexuality section of your home library.
Pam Terry
May 23, 2013 Pam Terry rated it it was amazing
Great information, easily laid out for reading. It was informative and plain, easy to understand. Very helpful for learning.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Mar 31, 2012 Rexanna Ipock-Brown rated it really liked it
Very informative book. I think every woman no matter their age should read this book.
Lisette
Sep 27, 2013 Lisette rated it really liked it
Really informative, I think every woman and teenage girl should read this.
Allison
Nov 28, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
I give this a 5 for humor and 3 for informational. good book overall.
Rosemary
Sep 18, 2013 Rosemary rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rosemary by: Pure Romance Corporate (vendor at Convention)
Good - autographed by both authors!
Henry Le Nav
Jun 14, 2015 Henry Le Nav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good all around introduction to the geography and function of the vulva and vagina. The book's strength lies more in the care and maintenance of vaginal health, so I believe this to be a good owner's manual. The book also considers some of the issues and politics of genital awareness, self image, genital cosmetic surgery, and female genital cutting. The book also included directions for making various v crafts. While I can appreciate this for vulva awareness, as a man the crafts held little inte ...more
Mery
Jan 10, 2014 Mery rated it it was amazing
Interesting!
Miguel Nambo
Jun 04, 2016 Miguel Nambo rated it it was amazing
Es un libro con un lenguaje ameno, claro y amigable, que introduce al lector de manera periódica en los principales tópicos concernientes a los órganos sexuales femeninos.

Muestra de manera breve los puntos sobre los cuales hay más interés en la sociedad hoy día en cuanto a la vulva y todos los elementos relacionados con esta. Si bien a veces sólo se da un pequeño esbozo de un tema en general, sirve como un preámbulo paya que el lector se sienta instado a buscar más información sobre el tema que
Kaz
May 08, 2015 Kaz rated it liked it
Very informative and factual, only thing I did not care for was the humor- it all seemed either forced or awkward and not really funny at all.
Stephanie Baker
Jan 16, 2015 Stephanie Baker rated it liked it
An interesting mix of facts and fun stuff, with some odd crafts thrown in.
Marissa Sherman Deziel
Very informative....
Lindsey
Jun 25, 2015 Lindsey marked it as to-read
I won a copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaway but have still not received it, which is disappointing, especially since the other people who won a copy appear to have received theirs. Not sure what the situation is but I would love to get my copy! Unfortunately the giveaway was done by the author and she has deactivated messaging on her account so I have no way of notifying anyone. I was super excited about winning this book. :(
Mills College Library
612.628 H534 2011
Greta Grenade
Mar 15, 2015 Greta Grenade rated it really liked it
This is a very important book for women of all ages to read. Love your body!
Jessy
Sep 04, 2012 Jessy rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, non-fiction
Wow. Who knew there was so much to be said about lady parts? It got to be a bit much to be honest. I read the parts that interested me and skimmed over the rest.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Brookey
Brookey marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
  • What You Really Really Want: The Smart Girl's Shame-Free Guide to Sex and Safety
  • The Case of the Frozen Addicts
  • Tickle My Tush: Mild-To-Wild Analplay Adventures for Everybooty
  • The V Book: A Doctor's Guide to Complete Vulvovaginal Health
  • Secrets of the Night Sky: Most Amazing Things in the Universe You Can See with the Naked Eye, The
  • The Forgetting: Alzheimer's: Portrait of an Epidemic
  • Anal Pleasure & Health: A Guide for Men and Women
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
  • The New Male Sexuality
  • The Good Society: The Humane Agenda
  • Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women
  • Getting Off: A Woman's Guide to Masturbation
  • Swallow: Foreign Bodies, Their Ingestion, Inspiration, and the Curious Doctor Who Extracted Them
  • Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice
  • The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Women
  • El Monstruo: Dread and Redemption in Mexico City
  • What Your Mother Never Told You About Sex
  • The Crime of Sheila McGough
Debby Herbenick is an associate professor at Indiana University, a lead scientist in the study of sex, and an internationally recognized author and sex educator. She's published several best-selling books about sex and love: Because It Feels Good, Sex Made Easy, Great in Bed, The I Love You More Book, and Read My Lips. Her newest book is The Coregasm Workout.

The Coregasm Workout takes a look at t
More about Debby Herbenick...