How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything

How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  1,197 ratings  ·  102 reviews
Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (including dust cover, if applicable). The spine may show signs of wear. Pages can include limited notes and highlighting, and the copy can include "From the library of" labels.Some of our books may have slightly worn corners, and minor creases to the covers. Plea...more
Paperback
Published 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about How to Walk in High Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Walk in High Heels

sarah semark
I liked the parts of this book that detailed girly things: how to walk in high heels (obviously), how to pack for a vacation, how to accessorize, how to behave like a lady in social circumstances, how to throw a dinner party. It's written in a sort of chick-lit voice, which can be rather enjoyable if it isn't overdone. I like this sort of thing for the same reasons that I enjoy fluffy girly movies; they're bright and colourful and good distractions.

That said, I think it tried a little too hard t...more
Madeline
An alternate title for this book would be "How to be a High-Maintenance Fashion Snob with an Endless Cash Flow to Spend on Clothes, Cab Fare, and Manolos." Seriously, its like the four characters from Sex and the City got together and wrote a book about how the rest of the world can be like them.
Despite this, I actually did enjoy reading this book. There's actually some good stuff mixed in with the makeup tips, like how to play poker, how to throw a dinner party, table manners, and a huge chapte...more
Evelyn
One of those silly 'girly guide to life' books. If you like the kind of advice that swamps mainstream women's glossy mags, then you'll probably think this is some sort of a bible. I merely browsed through it as it was joke birthday gift, and yeah, it's just terrible!
Wandoo Ityavyar
How to Walk in High Heels by Camilla Morton is a girl's How to guide. Morton gives us a book equivalent of the critically acclaimed UK TV show “Lady to Ladette.” You know the one where a bunch of girls are coached into becoming classy ladies(I could have sworn it was called something like Duchess of. . . But I digress). In How to Walk in High Heels there's information on how to walk in heels(obviously), how to get ready for a night out, hold your drink, how handle yourself at events, politics,am...more
Jamie

1.5 stars ( because it made me laugh so much)

I'm not sure if this was written as serious guide. If it was, then I'm speechless. If she going for comedy, she nailed it.

It began badly with a foreword by John Galliano... The Epitome of Style - the author twitters, except now M. Galliano is more famous for drunken anti-semantic rants that got his ass fired from Dior...There are butt-kissy, name-droppy tributes to various artists, designers etc sprinkled liberally through the book...

It has some aweso...more
Tina
This book is pretty much my guilty pleasure. Sure, it's frivolous, but it's pretty entertaining. I'm not the girliest of girls by nature, so a lot of the fashion tips in this book really helped me out. (It actually persuaded me to be a little bit more feminine.) Definitely a coffee table kind of book to read!
Chrissie
This book did not really live up to my expectations. It was filled with hints for more high fashion conscious girls and was somewhat patronising for an indie hipster such as myself.

I did find the section on how to walk in high heels helpful however.
Haley Hill
Funny. Since reading the book, I have met Camilla and she is every bit as hilarious as her alter ego.
Katie
Great coffee table book to dip into now and then. Funny and full of good observations.
Candy
I was in the bookstore and I wanted a new novel to read. However I didn't flip through the pages or I think I did but I didn't realize it was a 'reference book'. I picked it up because of the Pink-Glittery cover. I basically judged the book by its cover. I thought it would of been a novel. That was until I got home and I flipped through it. I couldn't believe what I had bought.

I was going to return it the next day. However I was reading it while being driven to the bookstore. I changed my mind b...more
Katharine Blankenship
Even though my dad did his best to try and prepare me for the real world, while I was still living at home, there are still some things that I feel unsure about. Then I found this book. Yes, it’s called “How to Walk in High Heels,” which my dad definitely didn’t teach me how to do, but it also covers basically everything a girl might have to do while on her own. Changing a tire, hanging a picture, eating lobster, getting out of the car in a miniskirt, and so many other things. Overall, this book...more
Hannah
I found this book extremely entertaining. Yes, some of it was a little dated in the sense of 'women need to look great all the time and the men do the rest,' but it felt more like it was a joke to me. All in all it had some good advice about things I am not experienced at such as packing, how to walk in high heels, how to apply tanning lotion, etc. etc. I would recommend it to anyone who has dipped a toe in the fashion world and enjoyed it.
Patricia
I adored this book! I received it a few years back as a birthday present and can still remember how shocked I was to find it actually good. How to Walk in High Heels is absolutely unlike any of the sad drivel stacked in the corners of bookshops, or those flashy volumes about platinum blonde twenty-somethings who would kill to get inside Barneys. Marketed as a mixed breed of Self-help and Chick-lit, both of which fall under my strict repudiation policy, I initially harbored some—okay, a lot—of mi...more
Nasira K
I loved this book! It tells you everything you need to know. Now this isnt some 'detailed' every girls guide sort of thing.. I thought of it as a more random 'how-to' guide written in the form of as if the writer were talking to you face to face giving you a great piece of advice on different topics. I think it is also a great gift to any girl in her late teens to early twenties or thirties.. but really age doesn't matter.
Polly
Well ladies, if you've ever wondered about how to pick up dog poop in a stylish manner, this is the book for you! Ditto how to be stylish while suffering from a fever, on crutches, and at funerals (but sadly, not your own; that I would enjoy). I adore books about how to apply makeup and so on, although I rarely find them helpful, but this is just absurd. I hope it's meant to be funny, but I'm really not sure it is.
And yes, stilettos are definitely the only shoes to wear (except when you're on c...more
Rebecca Dickson
This book did not succeed in teaching me how to walk in high heels without my gait resembling that of a velociraptor, nor did I learn anything about the more relevant topics in my girl life (mostly logistic regression, basic bicycle repair, and successfully evading attack by velociraptor). Two thumbs down, Camilla Morton. Two thumbs down indeed.
E.I. Blot
Quite funny, and surprisingly insightful at times, Camilla Morton would definitely make a great big sister or fun mum. The feminist in me is reeling at the fact that most of the book is centred around the idea that women are technologically inept when it comes to changing tyres and loading an iPod. That said, the girl/woman in me loves that it's full of giggle-inducing and surprisingly good advice about doing your nails, balancing your budget and, yes, walking in high heels.

Ladies - none of you...more
Michelle
Feb 04, 2009 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women/men who want to be in fashion
I'm not really a high heel girl but I thought maybe I'd give it a try to see how it fit. (I am girly though and I think this book does take a heavy measure of girly frillyness to get it.)
I found this book for ridiculously low price and used it to see if I could be pressuaded to be a bit more of a Lady. The book did help me. She has brilliant tips on picking out the right heel and then how to actually walk in them and where to practice that walk. Then entire book is full of tips.
At times it seem...more
Lexi Horn
I have had women in my sorority read this. Those who don't have a strong female figure in their lives must read it. It is informative for the naive and comical for those in the know.
Nada
Every woman should own and have this book on her shelf. It is a book that you can just leave on your shelf and go back to it when you need to know how to do something.

I took a while to read this page by page. It was like reading a text book, but since it's a self help book it's suppose to be like reading a text book.

I eventually skipped some parts of the book because I thought them useless to be, like the part about technology. I see now that a lot has been developed since the time the book wa...more
Clara Dominique
I follow the tips in this book. Definitely a must read. It includes even the tiniest details that us girls, need to work on.
Cecilia Marie
Some of the ideas in this book appealed to me, but none practically, and it was too matter-of-fact to be fun, as if it wanted me to take it practically when all I wanted was the humour (which was quite amusing, I will give it that). I did like her tips on picking a heel, however. Some of the name dropping was handy as, as much of a girly girl I am, most of the brands and names are foreign to me. So in general, I am a fan of traditionally lady-like behaviour but not of this book's rigidness in gu...more
Serena
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This is definitely a book to dip into every now and again. I love how it isn't just about 'how to walk in high heels' but also includes more serious issues like how to go about getting a mortgage and tips on going abroad-I've found the tips on packing for holidays especially helpful! What I liked the most about this book has to be the quotes at the beginning of each chapter, all of which are incredibly girly and just make the book more enjoyable.

'How to walk in high heel...more
Catherine
Its one of these fun books you can just pick up random page and read. I liked it, I have to say I bought it because of the cover and they mentioned Galliano. I expected a novel but Im not dissapointed. Its basically a guide, covering- of course- how to walk in high heels, what to always keep in a handbag, wear a hat, dance, play poker, travel, choose the right tea, use iPod, buy a house, paint the walls.... It is very girly annd funny read but many tips are also practical. If I only knew how sli...more
Cath Enriquez
Everything girls need to know from poker, to painting the walls and DIY stuff.
Tricia
I picked up and read this book after my 18-year-old daughter left it for me to return to the library when she left for college. I anticipated finding it amusing, the way The Preppy Handbook amused me when I was 17. I was surprised, then, to find that it is actually a compendium of a lot of useful information, from how to iron a shirt, to how to change a flat tire, and yes, how to walk in high heels. Written in a light-hearted, humorous voice, and including short "how-to's" from celebs like Manol...more
Evangeline
Highly satirical, often just silly and shallow, sometimes actually funny, like on page 27 under the section 'How to aisle glide', where the author explains that the best place to practice your mincing-in-stilettos technique is in your local supermarket. It certainly made me laugh out loud!

This book may actually be worth keeping a hold of though, as i actually did find some of the information insightful. It's just that it's presented in a certain way, a unique kind of ironic and pithy banter, whi...more
Tee
I think this book is designed for adults but it's written as if it was for middle school aged children. There are some tips in here that are useful and then there are some that are just, I don't know the word I'm looking for but, I guess childish or immature? Like creating the right atmosphere to get ready in - I mean there is no real value to some of the tips listed in here. This was one book that I didn't finish - mainly because it doesn't have a story line.
Regina
A book worth reading for.

Women wanted to be fashionable, wanted to be fit and sexy will learn the do's and the don't in fashion. And this book has everything! A lot of tips and advice can be read in this book like how to start your own blog, how to apply make-up, dress within 5 minutes, how to apply red lipstick and how can you make it last on your lips and etc. The book has of history focusing on the high heels, pumps, manolos etc.
  • The Goddess Guide
  • The Modern Girl's Guide to Life
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • The Little Black Book of Style
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady
  • The Girls' Book Of Glamour: A Guide To Being A Goddess (Buster Books)
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • Dreaming of Dior: Every Dress Tells a Story
  • Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day
  • The Go-Girl Guide: Surviving Your 20s with Savvy, Soul, and Style
  • The Little Dictionary of Fashion: A Guide to Dress Sense for Every Woman
Camilla Morton is a London-based fashion writer and the author of the international bestseller How to Walk in High Heels which has been translated into over twenty languages worldwide and A Girl for All Seasons / A Year in High Heels. She is also the creator and writer of the 'Fashion Tale Memoir'series: Christian Lacroix and the Tale of Sleeping Beauty, Manolo Blahnik and the Tale of the Elves an...more
More about Camilla Morton...
A Year in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything from Jane Austen to the A-list A Girl For All Seasons Christian Lacroix and the Tale of Sleeping Beauty: A Fashion Fairy Tale Memoir Manolo Blahnik and the Tale of the Elves and the Shoemaker: A Fashion Fairy Tale Memoir Diane von Furstenberg and the Tale of the Empress's New Clothes

“Above all, believe in true love and know that men are like shoes. A couple is like a left and a right foot, and out there is your perfect fit. Sometimes you need to change styles and shop around to find it. Sometimes you have to break styles in, sometimes you feel like something that is unstylish but comfortable, and sometimes a style - as much as you like - just doesn't suit you and will never fit.” 20 likes
“Want lots of books? Be daddy's little girl” 4 likes