A Apple Pie

A Apple Pie

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In this spectacular recreation of one of the most beloved alphabet rhymes of all time, New York Times Best Illustrator Gennady Spirin brings to life the delicious and whimsical fortunes of an apple pie—through the alphabet! Look for the tiny butterfly in the picture where B bit it. Find the fox on the page where F fought for it.

Discover hundreds of delightful details in t...more
Published August 18th 2005 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about A Apple Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Apple Pie

Kathryn
I got this version when I couldn't find the Kate Greenaway version at the library. It's a fun little ABC book. Spirin's illustrations are lovely though not perhaps as charming as I might have liked. Yes, sometimes I like cutesy and thought that this book would deliver. Still, the illustrations are very well done and I like the 1600s-1700s tone (could be English, of course, but I tended to think of it as American Colonial era) given that the poem is from that era. Is fun to find the little creatu...more
Ebookwormy
The jury is still out on this book. We've read it and it was engaging enough to finish, but it hasn't been requested again. The rhyme itself comes from the 1600's and that idea is to use the appeal of Apple pie to teach children the alphabet. So, we get things like, "E Eats it" and "F Fought for it" and "G Got it" and "H Had it". It's a little abstract, but it works for most of the letters, until it falls apart with "X All had a large slice" and "Y And went off to bed" and "Z zzzzzz".

The illust...more
Catherine
Really beautiful illustrations. I will use this in the classroom as a connector with autumn, apples, A-to-Z, lists, Thanksgiving, 17th/18th century England, Colonial America, sequencing, sharing, and probably other concepts as well. The pages for X and Y are less than inspiring, but maybe I'll challenge my students to improve these pages. On the other hand, we write A-to-Z books each year, and maybe I will use this to illustrate that sometimes it's very difficult as an author to get everything p...more
Cindy
Lovely detailed illustrations grace and update the pages of this classic old book, in use since the 1600's, for learning the alphabet. The illustrations capture the 17th millennium in stye and fashion, and charm the reader on each page. The soft tones and muted pallet may lack appeal to some 21st millennium kids or parents, who expect bright bold colors, but those that trouble to look past the style to content of the lovely drawings won't be disappointed.
Sara
Gennady Spirin has easily become my favorite illustrator. The artwork in this book is different than many of her fairy tales and biblical treasures. I do not care for the text but I do love to elegance of the book and how well it held my four year old's attention.
Sam
Jan 08, 2009 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: abc
I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. They were simple, yet very involved. Because the illustrations were of a different time period that could be used to teach the differences in activities. This could also be used to develop different verbs and feelings, as the book continues on to describe the need for this apple pie.
Teri
Apr 03, 2009 Teri rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: abc
Was very unsatisfied with the ending. X, Y, and Z had nothing to do with the pie... where as the last 23 letters had. Fun pictures, but some things were pretty random.
Lesley
This ABC book has an elegant flair to it. Enjoyed the apple pie theme for as long as it lasted. It got a little forced at the end, though.
Bonnie Pohlig
A creative way to present the alphabet - all the things you can do with/for apple pie. I liked the pictures, as it is more old fashioned.
RaeLene
ABC: This book has great illustrations. Each letter has animal that starts with the same letter. Some of the letters give up.
Danielle Miskin
All the things you could do to an apple pie that follow the alphabet. Very cute and creative. Helps to learn the alphabet.
Cindy Pardew
Jun 19, 2008 Cindy Pardew added it
Shelves: abc
This book goes through the alphabet always refering to pie. Beautiful illustrations with and old fashion twist.
Lisa
Not very interesting for my children. Some letters are done abstractly. Some letters had great ideas about pie.
Lauren
I loved the illustrations of this book. Moreover, ABC theme was very creative.
Katie
Katie added it
Mar 12, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Angie added it
Sep 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
119079
Alternate spelling: Grennadij Spirin.

Illustrator of more than 40 children's books, Gennady Spirin has been the recipient of the Gold Medal from the Society of Illustrators in New York City.
More about Gennady Spirin...
The Tale of the Firebird Martha Little Red Riding Hood Goldilocks and the Three Bears We Three Kings