Start by marking “A Apple Pie” as Want to Read:
A Apple Pie

A Apple Pie

3.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In this spectacular recreation of one of the most beloved alphabet rhymes of all time, New York Times Best Illustrator Gennady Spirin brings to life the delicious and whimsical fortunes of an apple pie—through the alphabet! Look for the tiny butterfly in the picture where B bit it. Find the fox on the page where F fought for it.

Discover hundreds of delightful details in t
Published August 18th 2005 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about A Apple Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Apple Pie

Kathryn
Jan 20, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I got this version when I couldn't find the Kate Greenaway version at the library. It's a fun little ABC book. Spirin's illustrations are lovely though not perhaps as charming as I might have liked. Yes, sometimes I like cutesy and thought that this book would deliver. Still, the illustrations are very well done and I like the 1600s-1700s tone (could be English, of course, but I tended to think of it as American Colonial era) given that the poem is from that era. Is fun to find the little creatu ...more
Dione Basseri
Jan 07, 2016 Dione Basseri rated it did not like it
Okay. If your kid is the kind that really likes artwork in picture books, and doesn't care so much for story, maybe this is for them. There's definitely an old-world feel here, which reminds me of early 20th century Christmas books, though with a lot more colors.

But if your kid wants any sort of quality in writing, skip this. The little public domain ditty it was taken from is just a very boring list of things children do with an apple pie, and the latter letters of the alphabet find themselves
Karen
Aug 28, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Before I make any criticism, let me first say that I loved, loved, loved the illustrations and the calligraphy in this book.

I was like, like, liking this book until I hit the letter X. And there was no recovery for Y and Z. Really? We couldn't have made an "X" on the top crust to let out steam. And "You ate it" might have been funny. I would have even forgiven the falling asleep with the "Zzzzz" afterward. But no, the book had to turn all abstract and make no sense for the last three letters. I
Ebookwormy
May 07, 2009 Ebookwormy rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-preschool
The jury is still out on this book. We've read it and it was engaging enough to finish, but it hasn't been requested again. The rhyme itself comes from the 1600's and that idea is to use the appeal of Apple pie to teach children the alphabet. So, we get things like, "E Eats it" and "F Fought for it" and "G Got it" and "H Had it". It's a little abstract, but it works for most of the letters, until it falls apart with "X All had a large slice" and "Y And went off to bed" and "Z zzzzzz".

The illust
Catherine
Really beautiful illustrations. I will use this in the classroom as a connector with autumn, apples, A-to-Z, lists, Thanksgiving, 17th/18th century England, Colonial America, sequencing, sharing, and probably other concepts as well. The pages for X and Y are less than inspiring, but maybe I'll challenge my students to improve these pages. On the other hand, we write A-to-Z books each year, and maybe I will use this to illustrate that sometimes it's very difficult as an author to get everything p ...more
Cindy
Jun 20, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Lovely detailed illustrations grace and update the pages of this classic old book, in use since the 1600's, for learning the alphabet. The illustrations capture the 17th millennium in stye and fashion, and charm the reader on each page. The soft tones and muted pallet may lack appeal to some 21st millennium kids or parents, who expect bright bold colors, but those that trouble to look past the style to content of the lovely drawings won't be disappointed.
Sara
Jan 01, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
Gennady Spirin has easily become my favorite illustrator. The artwork in this book is different than many of her fairy tales and biblical treasures. I do not care for the text but I do love to elegance of the book and how well it held my four year old's attention.
Sam
Jan 08, 2009 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves: abc
I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. They were simple, yet very involved. Because the illustrations were of a different time period that could be used to teach the differences in activities. This could also be used to develop different verbs and feelings, as the book continues on to describe the need for this apple pie.
Teri
Apr 03, 2009 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: abc
Was very unsatisfied with the ending. X, Y, and Z had nothing to do with the pie... where as the last 23 letters had. Fun pictures, but some things were pretty random.
Lesley Looper
This ABC book has an elegant flair to it. Enjoyed the apple pie theme for as long as it lasted. It got a little forced at the end, though.
Bonnie Pohlig
A creative way to present the alphabet - all the things you can do with/for apple pie. I liked the pictures, as it is more old fashioned.
RaeLene
Apr 22, 2009 RaeLene rated it really liked it
Shelves: 26-picture-books
ABC: This book has great illustrations. Each letter has animal that starts with the same letter. Some of the letters give up.
Danielle Miskin
May 07, 2008 Danielle Miskin rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, abc
All the things you could do to an apple pie that follow the alphabet. Very cute and creative. Helps to learn the alphabet.
Cindy Pardew
Jun 19, 2008 Cindy Pardew added it
Shelves: abc
This book goes through the alphabet always refering to pie. Beautiful illustrations with and old fashion twist.
Lisa
May 07, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Not very interesting for my children. Some letters are done abstractly. Some letters had great ideas about pie.
Lauren
May 07, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, abc
I loved the illustrations of this book. Moreover, ABC theme was very creative.
Charlene Mitchell
Charlene Mitchell marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Beverly B
Beverly B marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
David
David added it
Apr 16, 2016
K. Komatsu
K. Komatsu rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Debbie
Debbie added it
Apr 02, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Mar 06, 2016
Eva Szosz
Eva Szosz rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Annamarie Carlson
Annamarie Carlson rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2016
Annalee And
Annalee And is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2016
Pat
Pat added it
Jan 23, 2016
Isaac
Isaac rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
119079
Alternate spelling: Grennadij Spirin.

Illustrator of more than 40 children's books, Gennady Spirin has been the recipient of the Gold Medal from the Society of Illustrators in New York City.
More about Gennady Spirin...