Start by marking “The Trail of the Fox” as Want to Read:
The Trail of the Fox

The Trail of the Fox

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  261 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
It is over 25 years since I wrote The Trail of the Fox, my famous Rommel biography. Like several other books, I wrote it for Tom Congdon's then publishing house Wm Morrow Inc. In London it was greedily snapped up & published by George Weidenfeld.
Congdon had previously edited the book "Jaws" for a writer called Peter Benchley who had never written a book in his life; a
Unknown Binding, 1st, 496 pages
Published October 1st 1977 by E.P. Dutton (NY) (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Trail of the Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trail of the Fox

peiman-mir5 rezakhani
کتاب جالبی بود ... شاید جذابیت تاریخی اون باعث شده از خوندن کتاب تا صفحه آخر دلزده و خسته نشید
اگر بخوام رومل رو در 4 کلمه خلاصه کنم... باید بگم: رهبر-شجاع-باهوش-محبوب
Yan
Apr 06, 2015 Yan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert!

I have a very negative opinion of the author, knowing his reputation, but nevertheless convinced myself to read this book.

David Irving wrote what could be a very good book, if you're really successful in separating the book itself from the real life. I don't question his research on Rommel, which seems to be (almost) thorough. However, and it's a huge HOWEVER:

1. A historian denying Holocaust can hardly be called a one, because denying Holocaust is falsifying history. As a Jew, and
Rolly
May 10, 2014 Rolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly appreciate David Irving's extensive and/or exhaustive research in putting this book together about the life and war exploits of one of Germany's greatest Field Marshals (Erwin Rommel, "The Desert Fox"), if not their best strategist. I find the book very detailed in scope that while interesting, it's easy for me to lose focus. Although, I like the fact that Irving covered both Allies & Axis sides. Moreover, there's a lot of people in Rommel's staff (not to mention the quick turnover ...more
Charles
Feb 25, 2009 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic-history
I didn't think it was the best book about Rommel, who is a fascinating character, but it's pretty good and an enjoyable read.
Nick Black
Dec 17, 2008 Nick Black marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-ebook
Published as a freely-downloadable ebook in 2005; thanks, Focal Point Publishing!
Janet Eshenroder
One of my father's WWII books. Rommel was the only German officer he admired and respected. Reading this book was an eye opener for me. I wish my dad were still alive to ask if this book changed his opinion of Rommel.

This book was a very detailed and meticulously-researched account of Rommel's entire career. Considering the detail, Irving did a remarkable job of bringing both Rommel and the war to life.

Was Rommel a genius on the battlefield? By the end of the book I wasn't quite sure what to thi
Indah Threez Lestari
“In this war the commander’s place is here, right out in front! I don’t believe in armchair strategy. Let’s leave that to the gentlemen of the General Staff.”

"We’ve got to look at this war like a cavalry action--we’ve got to throw in tank divisions like cavalry squadrons, and that means issuing orders from a moving tank just as generals once used to from the saddle.”

Bedanya perang jaman dulu dengan sekarang, komandan jaman sekarang tak perlu terjun ke medan perang dengan risiko kehilangan nyawa,
Amit
Jan 21, 2014 Amit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rommel
As per Irving, Rommel had following traits,

1. Cocky, ambitious and a gentleman.
2. Of average physique.
3. Practitioner of solitude.
4. Very impressed by Hitler's ideologies.
6. Subject for Nazi propaganda.
7. Enjoyed Nazi fraternity but never acclaimed their perspective.
8. Given his consensus to July 20 conspirators, for post Hitler-death support but no direct support.
9. His death was utilized as a propaganda by both axis and allies.
10. Not a long stayer, as per Hitler's observation; which seems to
Amanda
May 26, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I downloaded this book some time ago when it was offered for free. This text has great value because of the first hand accounts that it draws from. When I reviewed "American Sniper," I pointed out that gathering information while it was still fresh was historically paramount. This book meets that litmus test, and sheds light on the global theater of war. This will be a valuable resource for many generations.
Dan  Logue
May 07, 2011 Dan Logue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irving describes the legendary German Field Marhsall's life highlighting his meteoric ascendancy in the German Army through his incredible victories over the British in North Africa and then his calamitous fall from grace as he becomes a scapegoat for the failed assassination attempt on Hitler. Incredibly well-researched, including a very interesting description of Irving's conversation with Speidal, one of the assassination plotters who apparently managed to outwit Gestapo interrogators, evade ...more
Andrew Herbert
Jan 16, 2016 Andrew Herbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this without knowing anything about the author. What a piece of garbage he is!

A bit dull at times, but overall an interesting book. Rommel seems a bit of a dummy at times. It's not always clear how he was so successful with the troops. The asides (in italics) where Irving describes some of his research efforts are interesting. If you know something about the campaigns in France 1940, Africa and/or Normandy, it's an interesting supplement. If you can stomach knowing this idiot is a Holoca
Conan Robison
Mar 06, 2016 Conan Robison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good writing...very informative and kept my interest. I did not find it dry at all. Good book! Recommended!
Will Mayo
A fascinating insight into the man known to history as the Desert Fox, I found it to be a worthy read and would recommend it to others. In fact, I could almost picture the Field Marshall in my head as I turned the pages. Good job.
Dave
Looking for a copy to include in my personal library.
Kalle
Read the Finnish version (published 1979) of this.
Emaleth
Emaleth rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
thecryptile
thecryptile marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Angelis Konstantinos
Angelis Konstantinos rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Daniel Garrison
Daniel Garrison rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Donald King
Donald King rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Gerald
Gerald rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Ole Hansen
Ole Hansen marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Colin Brady
Colin Brady is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Isidor
Isidor rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
صفوان المدني
صفوان المدني marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Asif Anonto
Asif Anonto marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Margaux
Margaux marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
  • Panzer Battles: A Study of the Employment of Armor in the Second World War
  • Knight's Cross: A Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
  • Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat: The Great Speeches
  • The German Generals Talk
  • Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted, 1942-1945 (Modern Library War)
  • Anzio: Italy and the Battle for Rome — 1944
  • The Pacific War, 1931-1945 : A Critical Perspective on Japan's Role in World War II (The Pantheon Asia Library)
  • A General's Life: An Autobiography
  • Rickenbacker: An Autobiography
  • The Fall of France: The Nazi Invasion of 1940
  • No Silent Night: The Christmas Battle For Bastogne
David Irving is a British historian, who is accused of trivializing the holocaust. His books are mostly about the second world war and the Third Reich including topics like Josef Goebbels, Winston Churchill and the bombings of Dresden. In 1996 Irving filed a libel lawsuit against Penguin books and lost, the judge finding Irving guilty of deliberate and gross distortions of history. This lawsuit re ...more
More about David Irving...