Start by marking “The Trail of the Fox” as Want to Read:
The Trail of the Fox

The Trail of the Fox

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  11 reviews
It is over 25 years since I wrote The Trail of the Fox, my famous Rommel biography. Like several other books, I wrote it for Tom Congdon's then publishing house Wm Morrow Inc. In London it was greedily snapped up & published by George Weidenfeld.
Congdon had previously edited the book "Jaws" for a writer called Peter Benchley who had never written a book in his life; a
Unknown Binding, 1st, 496 pages
Published October 1st 1977 by E.P. Dutton (NY) (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Trail of the Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trail of the Fox

Rolly
I highly appreciate David Irving's extensive and/or exhaustive research in putting this book together about the life and war exploits of one of Germany's greatest Field Marshals (Erwin Rommel, "The Desert Fox"), if not their best strategist. I find the book very detailed in scope that while interesting, it's easy for me to lose focus. Although, I like the fact that Irving covered both Allies & Axis sides. Moreover, there's a lot of people in Rommel's staff (not to mention the quick turnover ...more
Charles
I didn't think it was the best book about Rommel, who is a fascinating character, but it's pretty good and an enjoyable read.
Nick Black
Dec 17, 2008 Nick Black marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-ebook
Published as a freely-downloadable ebook in 2005; thanks, Focal Point Publishing!
Janet Eshenroder
One of my father's WWII books. Rommel was the only German officer he admired and respected. Reading this book was an eye opener for me. I wish my dad were still alive to ask if this book changed his opinion of Rommel.

This book was a very detailed and meticulously-researched account of Rommel's entire career. Considering the detail, Irving did a remarkable job of bringing both Rommel and the war to life.

Was Rommel a genius on the battlefield? By the end of the book I wasn't quite sure what to thi
Indah Threez Lestari
“In this war the commander’s place is here, right out in front! I don’t believe in armchair strategy. Let’s leave that to the gentlemen of the General Staff.”

"We’ve got to look at this war like a cavalry action--we’ve got to throw in tank divisions like cavalry squadrons, and that means issuing orders from a moving tank just as generals once used to from the saddle.”

Bedanya perang jaman dulu dengan sekarang, komandan jaman sekarang tak perlu terjun ke medan perang dengan risiko kehilangan nyawa,
Amit
As per Irving, Rommel had following traits,

1. Cocky, ambitious and a gentleman.
2. Of average physique.
3. Practitioner of solitude.
4. Very impressed by Hitler's ideologies.
6. Subject for Nazi propaganda.
7. Enjoyed Nazi fraternity but never acclaimed their perspective.
8. Given his consensus to July 20 conspirators, for post Hitler-death support but no direct support.
9. His death was utilized as a propaganda by both axis and allies.
10. Not a long stayer, as per Hitler's observation; which seems to
Amanda
I downloaded this book some time ago when it was offered for free. This text has great value because of the first hand accounts that it draws from. When I reviewed "American Sniper," I pointed out that gathering information while it was still fresh was historically paramount. This book meets that litmus test, and sheds light on the global theater of war. This will be a valuable resource for many generations.
Dan  Logue
Irving describes the legendary German Field Marhsall's life highlighting his meteoric ascendancy in the German Army through his incredible victories over the British in North Africa and then his calamitous fall from grace as he becomes a scapegoat for the failed assassination attempt on Hitler. Incredibly well-researched, including a very interesting description of Irving's conversation with Speidal, one of the assassination plotters who apparently managed to outwit Gestapo interrogators, evade ...more
Will Mayo
A fascinating insight into the man known to history as the Desert Fox, I found it to be a worthy read and would recommend it to others. In fact, I could almost picture the Field Marshall in my head as I turned the pages. Good job.
Dave
Looking for a copy to include in my personal library.
Kalle
Read the Finnish version (published 1979) of this.
Fritz
Fritz marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Karen Kazaryan
Karen Kazaryan marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Tmore
Tmore marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Kjetil
Kjetil marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Clayton Brannon
Clayton Brannon marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Arafat
Arafat marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Stuart Huggins
Stuart Huggins marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Phil Heironimus
Phil Heironimus marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • The Order of the Death's Head: The Story of Hitler's SS
  • Panzer Battles: A Study of the Employment of Armor in the Second World War
  • A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge
  • Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat: The Great Speeches
  • Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II
  • Lost Victories: The War Memoirs of Hilter's Most Brilliant General
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • Rommel: The Desert Fox
  • Between Giants: The Battle for the Baltics in World War II
  • The Road to Stalingrad: Stalin`s War with Germany
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • The Fall of France: The Nazi Invasion of 1940
  • The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe: The U.S. Army Air Forces Against Germany in World War II
  • Eisenhower, Volume #1: Soldier, General of the Army, President-Elect, 1890-1952
David Irving is a British historian, who is accused of trivializing the holocaust.

His books are mostly about the second world war and the Third Reich including topics like Josef Goebbels, Winston Churchill and the bombings of Dresden.

In 1996 Irving filed a libel lawsuit against Penguin books and lost, the judge finding Irving guilty of deliberate and gross distortions of history. This lawsuit res
More about David Irving...
Hitler's War The Destruction of Dresden Nuremberg: The Last Battle Göring Goebbels: Mastermind of the Third Reich