Nothing Like a Puffin

Nothing Like a Puffin

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  66 reviews
There's nothing like this book! Bold, charming artwork enlivens a fun and clever game of compare-and-contrast for curious kids and puffin lovers alike.

A puffin is an amazing creature. It's completely unique and one-of-akind. A ladder is nothing like a puffin. A house is nothing like a puffin. A newspaper is nothing like a puffin. . . . But wait! Who would have guessed? Cou...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Candlewick Press

babyhippoface
There is nothing like a puffin. Nothing.

See that ladder? Nothing like a puffin.
See that house? Nothing like a puffin.
See that newspaper? Nothing like a-- well, it is black and white.... I guess it's something like a puffin, but not much.

And this is the heart of Nothing Like a Puffin: comparing and contrasting. Which makes it good for classroom use. For simple projects, you could assign a student an animal and have him chart the animal's characteristics, then find another living or non-living...more
Donalyn
This is a fun, bold book with lots of information about puffins. It would be a great writing model for showing how we can describe something by showing what its not.
Ashley M.
Puffin is a cute little creature that will help introduce the topic of similarities and differences to young children in a creative fun way. The puffin encounters many objects through the story thinking he has nothing in common with these things. The first few things such as a house and ladder he decides are not like him at all. Each time a new object is presented he looks a little closer and finds things he has in common that may be overlooked. The puffin runs across a penguin in the end of the...more
Amy Musser
Puffin’s are marvelous birds. There’s nothing like a puffin. Puffins aren’t like ladders or houses or newspapers…wait! Newspapers have black and white pages and puffins have black and white feathers! Goodness! And that's just the beginning, the similarities continue. A pair of jeans are like a puffin because they have two legs. A shovel is like a puffin because it can dig. Perhaps puffins aren’t as marvelous as we thought. Puffins and penguins are so alike, they’re nearly two of a kind…wait! Pen...more
Tam
Destiny Dawn Long
I liked the compare and contrast game played in this book. It encourages children to look beyond their initial impressions to find similarities between things that seem incredibly different. While the book does this in a fairly silly way, I think that it could be built on... different people, a new hometown, a new school, etc.

And, if you like to really perform books when you read them, this one is great. You get to be emphatic and alarmed and cautious and all sorts of fun things.

The illustrati...more
Melissa
What a joyful invitation to think and consider. So very well visually connected and presented. The whole concept is to compare very disparate objects, but Kolar makes sure the experience doesn't feel too disjointed. From the painter on the ladder in the endpapers to the ladder up the house, to the man in the window of the house with the newspaper...then later we get a hint of the snake and a hint of the icebergs before the page turns. Plus the limited color palette also ties everything together....more
Addison Children
A fun book for older preschoolers.There is nothing like a puffin. It starts by mentioning things that prove the point - a ladder is nothing like a puffin. But as the list grows - a newspaper is nothing like a puffin, a newspaper is black and white - hey a puffin is black and white! A newspaper is something like a puffin. A fun look at characteristics.
Melanie
A puffin is nothing like a ladder, house, newspaper, pair of jeans, helicopter or shovel. Or is it? A picture book that invites children to participate is always a good thing. This one is no exception. Children will feel encouraged to participate in question format.

A recommended book for storytime.
Sandi Roe
This book is a great example to us all, that no matter how different we seem to be, we are all similar is some way.The story starts out that there is nothing like a puffin, but as the reader discovers, almost everything that is compared,is something like a puffin.This includes everything from a newspaper to a penguin. Although there are many things that have similar features, nothing is exactly the same. We are all unique!
Barbara
The premise behind this book is that there's nothing quite as unique as a puffin. The author then introduces objects such as a ladder, a house, and a newspaper, all of which seem on the surface to have nothing in common with a puffin. But after considering them a little more carefully, it turns out they do have some things in common. While I applaud the author's efforts to challenge readers' assumptions about puffins through comparing and contrasting, that may be a big leap in logic for many you...more
Angie
This one will be fun to read out loud ... trying to decide to which grades.

Younger kids will appreciate the color and fun illustrations.
Will take a bit older student to get "A shovel is a little something like a puffin. Who would have guessed?"

But that is funny. And that is not even the funniest lines. Won't spoil them ... you just need to read this book.

A little brain dead in terms of lesson material. Will come back and revise when I figure out if I'm going to use it for anything but (and hey...more
Novalibrarymom
The simple illustrations featuring, of course, a spirited puffin appealed to me enough to pull this one off the shelves. The premise of the story is that there is absolutely nothing like a puffin. Until, on closer inspection we see that a newspaper is like a puffin, because it is black and white. Or a helicopter because it can fly.

I wanted to like this story more than I did. It's a good idea, but the text just did not flow for me. Not for a home library, but might be considered for part of a cl...more
Shelli
This would be a fantastic book for teachers that are teaching similarities and differences between two people or things. I forget what that circle thing is called where 2 or more circles are drawn on a paper and some of the parts of the circle overlap. The things that are similar written in the overlapping part and the things that are not are written in the rest of the circle. (Each thing having their own circle). This simple but colorful story would be perfect for that lesson. Can a Puffin have...more
Kim Bongiorno
Some see this book at a lesson in Math. I see it as a way to teach young kids (mine were 4 & 6yo when we 1st read it) that we can have things in common with all sorts of different creatures, while still maintaining our individuality. I love this book and recommended it to all my friends who have kids aged 6yo and under.
Beautifully illustrated, fun, and unique. Definitely add this to your family's collection and consider it as a gift for the next kid's bday party you're invited to.
Marisa
Very cute introduction to the concept of similarities and differences. There's nothing like a puffin. Certainly a newspaper is nothing like a puffin. Well, except it's black and white and so is a puffin, so maybe it's a *little* like a puffin. But a pair of jeans -- that's definitely nothing like a puffin. Jeans are blue and have pockets and two legs. But wait, a puffin has two legs, too! And so on. Gonna have to check this out for my girl.
Jayna
Ages 3 and up

Puffin goes around explaining how things are not like a puffin and how things are a tiny bit like a puffin. When Puffin meets a penguin he explains how puffin and penguins are alike, but have one big difference.

This book goes to great detail about how things are alike and not alike. You could read this book with the child and then talk about other things that are not like a puffin and have them explain why.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
There’s nothing like a puffin.
Or is there?
“ A newspaper, to be sure, is nothing like a puffin.
A newspaper is shaped like a rectangle and made out of paper.
A newspaper has pages. It’s black and white.
But wait---

A puffin is black and white, too!
What are the chances?

A newspaper is something like a puffin, after all.”

A zany tale of the way we are all unique and all so much alike. Delightful!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
There isn't anything quite like a puffin. This cute little puffin gives a range of examples from other animals, to objects who aren't quite like him. In comparing himself to other things, he sees just how unique he is. There is nothing else quite like him. I like the message this story gives. The reader/the story's audience can easily relate themselves to the puffin, as there's no one else quite like them.
Candice
Good, colorful illustrations, but the book itself is strange. Why would you compare a puffin to a ladder or a house? Then the puffin is compared to a newspaper and we are told that since a newspaper is black and white it is something like a puffin. Jeans have two legs, so they are something like a puffin. It just didn't do anything for me, and I wouldn't bother reading it to a child.
Caryn Caldwell
In this delightful tale, a puffin discovers the ways in which he is unique - and what he has in common with such items as a newspaper, a pair of jeans, and a shovel. The simple, colorful illustrations will pull children into this tale, and as a bonus they will learn a few facts about puffins. Would be wonderful for a discussion on similarities and differences among items.
Megan Sanchez
I guess the best I can say for this book is that illustrations are really cute. I was just not overly impressed with the total lack of story or purpose behind this book. Basically, the author compares a puffin to a bunch of random items, including a newspaper, a goldfish and a pair of blue jeans. I would have preferred the book to compare a puffin to other birds.
Marcia
Nothing like a puffin. They are unique in every way, right? Not according to Soltis. Newspapers are like puffins because they are black and white. Shovels are like puffins because they dig . Kind of clever, awkward text; digitally rendered illustrations, that while graphic and colorful didn't quite add up. I like puffins, but this book was nothing like a puffin.
Judy Robison
Great book to read aloud. At first read, I read it to fast and didn't care for the book (Something I warn my students not to do). Then I read it slower and aloud to a group of 4th graders. They said (and I quote): " this is a good book to read aloud to lower classes. It would be good for inferencing and questioning" I would recommend this for nomination.
Nancy Jo Lambert
What a great book for kids! A wonderful picture book that combines reading skills, similes, comparisons, animal information, and could incorporate Venn diagrams even! Teachers will love the text and kids will love the text and illustrations. What comes across as a silly and fun book, would be a great classroom tool to engage young minds!
Bethe
I just love puffins, always on the lookout for them on a vacation. This is an excellent book for inferencing, to see if young students can come up with the connection between puffins and other objects. It also works well as a mentor text as a way to describe something by string what it is not. Fun illustrations to boot!
Kate Hastings
Grades Pre-K to 2. When I first picked up this book, I wasn't very excited about it-- but my son enjoyed it so much that I had to rethink my first impression. This is actually a GREAT compare and contrast book to use with young students. Now my son and I look at silly things like a pillow. It has feathers. It's like a puffin!
Selena
A cute book to teach comparisons and introduce the bird that often gets overshadowed by the penguin. It missed the mark a bit for me though. I don't get comparing a puffin to a ladder or a house but perhaps children will enjoy the silliness of that.
Audience: K-2nd, reading teachers
Appeal: This book is a little silly, but at the same time teaches about comparing and contrasting. This would be a good book to read when talking about comparing and contrasting.

2012-2013 Maine Chickadee Award nominee
Jen
This was a very cute book about puffins. It starts comparing things to puffins saying they have nothing in common, but wait! Maybe they do! I can't wait to read this book to my lower elementary kids.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Blue Chameleon
  • E-mergency!
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • I'm Not.
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku
Sue Soltis is a published poet. About NOTHING LIKE A PUFFIN, her first picture book, she says, "Writing this book was a great exercise in logic. Plus I loved thinking about puffins, with their bright beaks and neat dives. Someday, I hope to see one fly!" Sue Soltis lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

More about Sue Soltis...