Talk, Talk, Squawk!: A Human's Guide to Animal Communication

Talk, Talk, Squawk!: A Human's Guide to Animal Communication

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  9 reviews
How does a stinkbug flirt, a bee give orders, or a panda say "back off"? A celebrated duo is back with a guide to messaging, animal-style.

Humans aren't the only creatures who are constantly talking and transmitting messages: animals find all sorts of ways to keep in touch without saying a word. They use colors, patterns, smells, movements, vibrations, sounds, and even elec...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2011)

Miri
There is a really surprising amount of information in this book that looks like such a light read when you just grab it in passing off the nonfiction display, and I think it would be great for kids who are interested in animals. You learn about all the different ways animals communicate—through coloring, like different kinds of butterfly fish and monkeys; through smells, like beavers and pandas (who will do handstands so they can get their bums higher up on the tree, letting other pandas know ju...more
Anna Bryce
Talk, Talk, Squawk
Nicola Davies presents a fun, different perspective way to view animals in this light hearted book about how we communicate with the little creatures that we admire. She gives us a look into a world that most haven’t been able to explore in a way that appeal to children: the communication of different animals. She is informative in her efforts to show just how vital it is that animals are in sync with their “families”. It’s fun to seek understanding about the squawks, moo’s, w...more
This is a tough one to review. Talk, Talk, Squawk! is packed with information, the text is engaging, and the pictures are whimsical. On the other hand, it's going to be tough to find just the right reader for this book. It's takes patience to read -- unlike some nonfiction, you really need to read it from beginning to end. And the reading level is fairly high for elementary school.

The text will work for grades 4 - 6, depending on reading ability and background knowledge. Though I have some rese...more
Marcie
Nov 24, 2012 Marcie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: Deborah Stevenson U of Illinois
Teachers looking for an interesting non-fiction read aloud are rewarded here. The combination of graphic and cartoon illustration makes for good non-fiction writing models. Kids who are fascinated by the gross will love the book design and why the panda picture is on the title page.
Jen
This book was rather text-heavy, but would be appropriate for older elementary school children, I think. I liked how the author explained the various animal communication methods (including "speech," movement and color) and the illustrations were cleverly done, with cute captions.
Patricia
Eye catching illustrations, but caught between picture book and juvenile fiction status or even a graphic novel related lay-out. Tweens will enjoy the facts shared in the interesting format.
Emma
I had to read this for school summer reading. I was not excited. But I thought this book was so cute!!! I never realized that animals communicated that much. A very good read if you need it!!!
Debrarian
Snippets of info about how animals communicate things like "I'm gorgeous"; "Where's my baby?" "Keep out"; "I'm on your team"; and more. Amusingly illustrated with scribbly cartoons.
Abby Johnson
A brief overview of many of the different ways animals communicate, from sounds to electricity to movement to scents. Funny cartoon illustrations add to the whimsy of the book.
A great mix of extensive, fascinating facts and funny illustrations. I got a graduate degree studying animal communication and I learned new things from this book!
Alexandria Laflamme
Alexandria Laflamme marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Gina
Gina added it
Mar 03, 2014
Mel Clark
Mel Clark marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Leslie Tribolet
Leslie Tribolet marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Rll52013_andrea
Rll52013_andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Leya
Leya added it
Jul 31, 2013
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Ecar
Ecar added it
Jun 04, 2013
Jason Beyer
Jason Beyer marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
Irene
Irene added it
Dec 07, 2012
Kelsey Sohrweide
Kelsey Sohrweide marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of scie...more
More about Nicola Davies...
Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature Just Ducks! One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder Dolphin Baby! Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder