Start by marking “Talk, Talk, Squawk!: A Human's Guide to Animal Communication” as Want to Read:
Talk, Talk, Squawk!: A Human's Guide to Animal Communication

Talk, Talk, Squawk!: A Human's Guide to Animal Communication (Nicola Davies Science series)

How does a stinkbug flirt, a bee give orders, or a panda say "back off"? A celebrated duo is back with a guide to messaging, animal-style.

Humans aren't the only creatures who are constantly talking and transmitting messages: animals find all sorts of ways to keep in touch without saying a word. They use colors, patterns, smells, movements, vibrations, sounds, and even elec
Published November 8th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Talk, Talk, Squawk!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talk, Talk, Squawk!

Miri
Oct 15, 2012 Miri rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
There is a really surprising amount of information in this book that looks like such a light read when you just grab it in passing off the nonfiction display, and I think it would be great for kids who are interested in animals. You learn about all the different ways animals communicate—through coloring, like different kinds of butterfly fish and monkeys; through smells, like beavers and pandas (who will do handstands so they can get their bums higher up on the tree, letting other pandas know ju ...more
Anna Bryce
Talk, Talk, Squawk
Nicola Davies presents a fun, different perspective way to view animals in this light hearted book about how we communicate with the little creatures that we admire. She gives us a look into a world that most haven’t been able to explore in a way that appeal to children: the communication of different animals. She is informative in her efforts to show just how vital it is that animals are in sync with their “families”. It’s fun to seek understanding about the squawks, moo’s, w
This is a tough one to review. Talk, Talk, Squawk! is packed with information, the text is engaging, and the pictures are whimsical. On the other hand, it's going to be tough to find just the right reader for this book. It's takes patience to read -- unlike some nonfiction, you really need to read it from beginning to end. And the reading level is fairly high for elementary school.

The text will work for grades 4 - 6, depending on reading ability and background knowledge. Though I have some rese
Jen
This book was rather text-heavy, but would be appropriate for older elementary school children, I think. I liked how the author explained the various animal communication methods (including "speech," movement and color) and the illustrations were cleverly done, with cute captions.
Marcie
Nov 24, 2012 Marcie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: Deborah Stevenson U of Illinois
Teachers looking for an interesting non-fiction read aloud are rewarded here. The combination of graphic and cartoon illustration makes for good non-fiction writing models. Kids who are fascinated by the gross will love the book design and why the panda picture is on the title page.
Abby Johnson
Dec 18, 2011 Abby Johnson rated it liked it
A brief overview of many of the different ways animals communicate, from sounds to electricity to movement to scents. Funny cartoon illustrations add to the whimsy of the book.
Patricia
Feb 09, 2012 Patricia rated it liked it
Eye catching illustrations, but caught between picture book and juvenile fiction status or even a graphic novel related lay-out. Tweens will enjoy the facts shared in the interesting format.
Daniel Benevides
Apr 03, 2015 Daniel Benevides rated it it was amazing
Parte de uma séria sobre ciência animal, superinformativa e superdivertida. Li os outros também, um sobre cocô e outros sobre bichos ferozes, muitos bons!
Dec 07, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
A great mix of extensive, fascinating facts and funny illustrations. I got a graduate degree studying animal communication and I learned new things from this book!
Debrarian
Nov 18, 2012 Debrarian rated it really liked it
Snippets of info about how animals communicate things like "I'm gorgeous"; "Where's my baby?" "Keep out"; "I'm on your team"; and more. Amusingly illustrated with scribbly cartoons.
Kath
Kath rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
Kari Mae
Kari Mae rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
T Luehrs
T Luehrs rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Mary Ann
Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Mrs. Deathbird
Mrs. Deathbird rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2011
Karyn
Karyn rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Janice DeAngelo
Janice DeAngelo rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Skomodo
Skomodo rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2011
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Yoko
Yoko rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Zoya
Zoya rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Finley
Finley rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Larissa Langsather
Larissa Langsather rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Rachel Dallaire
Rachel Dallaire rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2014
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of scie ...more
More about Nicola Davies...

Nicola Davies Science series (5 books)
  • Extreme Animals: The Toughest Creatures on Earth (Animal Science)
  • Poop: A Natural History of the Unmentionable