Start by marking “Things I'll Never Say” as Want to Read:
Things I'll Never Say

Things I'll Never Say

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,054 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Sam's life sucks.

His best friend in the world is ditching him; moving out of state to go to college and leaving him behind with all the reminders of their childhood together. It hurts like hell but he doesn't know how to tell Ryan that he needs him to stay... without saying too much.

Ryan has no choice.

He's been in love with Sam for so many years he's afraid if he doesn't l
Nook, 0 pages
Published March 4th 2011 by Republica Press (first published July 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Things I'll Never Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I'll Never Say

Mona
Mar 29, 2014 Mona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Another wonderful and endearing read, by the obviously talented M.J. O'Shea. Such a delightful and cute read...with some tears along the way.

'God, Sammy, I've fallen asleep dreaming of you for years, wishing I could hold you and love you.'
description

RECOMMENDED!
Susan
Jan 28, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Strong 3.5 stars...

Super sweet...but not in that nauseating, eye-rolling kind of way...coming-of-age story about 2 best friends coming to the realization that their deep, deep feelings for each other may go beyond just friendship.

I loved Ryan and Sam...I loved their devotion to each other. I loved the bond forged over years of childhood and adolescence and the uncertain future they faced with college years ahead. This book was handled in such a tender and sweet way and I smiled and teared up mo
Catherine
Suuuuuuuuper sweet short story (perhaps too sweet according to some, but I was totally in the mood to be covered in syrup and icing sugar and "baby'd" to within an inch of my life).
Trisha Harrington
This is a sweet little short story about two boys, Sam and Ryan. They have been best friends for years. Now Ryan is moving away to college and leaving Sam behind. Sam is upset and angry at Ryan for leaving, while Ryan does not want to leave but feels he has to because he is in love with Sam.

I loved both MC's they were both quirky and fun characters. Sam did not know how he felt about Ryan until they kissed. Ryan has known for years. Sam was a happy go lucky character who was upset at loosing his
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Dec 20, 2011 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2011
Some writers just have that ability to make you feel everything their characters feel. Which is why I read romance - I'm sort of lacking in it in my real life, and I want to vicariously experience those feelings. M.J. is one of those writers. I felt Sam and Ryan's love for each other from page one and this was a very satisfying, short little love story about college age kids who have been best friends forever. Recommended.
Kassa
Aug 16, 2010 Kassa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very (VERY) sweet coming of age story that shows how heady first love can be and all the drama young people feel so intensely. I don’t mean this as a negative comment but reading this reminds me of how intense and all consuming first love feels. How the slightest hint of rejection is totally blown out of proportion and becomes the biggest drama in young life. I admit I read this one with a smile and a laugh, remembering the angst of youth. It’s not bad and the story shows some real ski ...more
Salsera1974
This was a sugary sweet romance whose central conflict turns on the fact that the two main characters, Ryan and Sam, can't tell each other that they are in love with the other. As a result of their silence, they suffer until one of them gins up the nerve to say, "Hey, remember that night when we made out and came like rocket ships? Yeah, I was totally into you, and I'm kinda hoping you were into me." The only thing that makes the emo absurdity bearable is the fact that they were both 18. You're ...more
Jenna
Dec 27, 2014 Jenna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, ya

That was...well, let's just say I'm glad I didn't pay for it. The story had potential, but it was ruined by poor writing and the fact that it was, as Lo-Lo said, "cheesy and sickeningly sweet". I managed to finish it, but not without rolling my eyes constantly. At least it was short.
Arianna
3.5 STARS
Karen
Aug 24, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've not reviewed a book before, and have to admit that this is not a review. Just a comment about one of the funniest typos I've ever seen. Sometimes spellcheck just isn't enough. . .

"Little electrical CURRANTS sang across his skin, transferring to Sam and then back to him every place where their bodies connected"

I now have this image in my mind of raisins rolling around them and getting smushed between their bodies. I know it's juvenile, but it is hysterical!

There were several other similar ty
Marte
FREE at Amazon.com!
Ami
It's a sweet story about two best friends who are in love with one another but afraid to say something about it. The first half, I enjoyed, because there is the angst, and the emotional separation. But after they get together, it's a bit too sugary for me. It's not a bad story, really it's not. Since most of my friends are giving this high reviews. I guess I'm just being a Scrooge :p
Lo-Lo
This was painful.

Sweet, unrequited love - a plotline I totally buy into, especially when there is a sprinkling of angst and some hotness. But this... So cheesy and sickeningly sweet that I feel a toothache coming on.
Nic
Dec 25, 2013 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and lovely and gentle with some sadness. Lots of emotion and luckily Ryan and Sam are finally honest about their feelings for each other.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
It's cute and angsty, but not as emotionally deep as it could have been, and it definitely crossed over into Cornville every now and then.
Anna D.
4.5 Stars

This was a sweet, satisfying, quick read. It hit all the right spots for me.. but in fast forward since it's a short story. I especially enjoyed the vulnerability of the two characters. For Ryan, there was a lot of pining and for both guys, the countdown to when Ryan was leaving for college was sympathetically written. I feel like we've all been there at one point when we're dreading the end of something..school, vacation, a season, an era. For these boys that dread was magnified a thou
 ♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥
I love MJ O'Shea's writing, heck I love MJ O'Shea! MJ's characters are so easy to fall in love with. You find yourself rooting for the characters as they find their way in life and love.

Sam and Ryan have been friends for years, not just friends, but best friends. Sam and Ryan prepare to say goodbye when Ryan leaves for college. A kiss brings they two closer, while miles apart. Sam and Ryan are a delight to read and cheer for.
BWT (Belen)
Read 05/27/2014, 05/16/2015

Ryan and Sam have been best friends for years, and as they graduate high school, are falling in love with each other, though neither has declared their feelings.

It's a sweet friends to lovers story, but, ultimately frustrating as everything could have been cleared up with a simple conversation. *growls*
Chris
Jan 12, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2011, ebook
Very sweet m/m romance about two guys who've been best friends for years. One's had a crush on the other for ages, but is so sure it isn't returned that he plans to go to college out of state to get some distance.
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
3 Sweet Stars~

This was a sweet easy comfort read. I love the ending it held such super sweetness...I wish it was more
Kurisu
Feb 05, 2013 Kurisu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish
Last month, I was so fortunate to have watched what turned out to be my most favorite Korean drama series of all time:

*dramatic pause*

Reply 1997 (aka Answer Me 1997/Answer To 1997; thanks, Mweetch, for recommending it to me! *u* ).

It was mainly a kind of secret, unrequited, you're-so-near-yet-oh-so-far, I've-always-wanted-you-but-I-can't-tell-you (okay, enough!) love story between childhood friends. It was so cute and annoying and funny and frustrating and fast-paced and heartbreaking and just a
Jenn C
Jan 06, 2015 Jenn C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story. Pretty much the same as Unintended, just different characters/situation. Boys have been best friends forever, one goes off to college since he can't continue to stay 'just friends'. Night before....there is a mis-understanding. Boys separate....etc,etc,etc.
Susan
Oct 22, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Aaaaaw, that was one cute amazing story! Yes it was very very sweet, but sometimes you just want it! Don’t deny it, just go with it!

Sam and Ryan were just too cute to be true. I have a thing for best friends falling in love. These stories just bring me to my happy place in no time. And boy did this one deliver.

Sam and Ryan have been best friends for ages and Ryan has always known he is in love with Sam. But afraid to ruin their friendship Ryan has never acted on his feelings.
Sam just wants to b
Наталья
Oct 15, 2014 Наталья rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Трогательные такие мальчишки.

Спасибо автору, что не затянул с объяснениями героев на года, как это многие любят.

И также моя благодарность за то, что не убил никого из парней. А то была у меня такая боязнь, когда спешили они встретиться.

По оценке: очень хочется поставить именно промежуточный балл, но округляю в большую сторону, т.к. все-таки очень приятно на душе после прочтения. Милая сладкая история.
Claudia
Aug 10, 2010 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first story of the genre that I've read. I must say it made me a big fan of m/m romance stories. Sweet and sensitive. I loved how they come to realize their love for each other.
Isabella
Jul 07, 2011 Isabella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-books
If I ever find words to describe the feelings this book brought me, I'll put them here, because beautiful doesn't cover it.
Veronica /  V
Apr 10, 2012 Veronica / V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is just too cute, I felt all warm inside reading it. What a lovely story.
Gigi
Dec 08, 2014 Gigi marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me  ·  review of another edition
MCs are too young for me.
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • A Place To Run (The Making of a Man, #2)
  • Wes and Toren
  • The One for Me
  • Love Is In The Title (Love #1)
  • Open Tackle
  • More than Moonlight (Lucky Moon, #0.5)
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4)
  • Bewitched by Bella's Brother
  • A Trouble Halved
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • One of Those Days
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
  • Prove It
  • Take My Picture
  • Just Breathe Out
M.J. O'Shea has been writing romance since algebra class in sixth grade (when most of her stories starred her and Leonardo DiCaprio). When she's not writing, she loves listening to nearly all types of music, painting, reading great authors, and on those elusive sunny days in the Pacific Northwest, she loves driving on the freeway with her windows rolled down and her stereo on high.

Facebook: M.J. O
More about M.J. O'Shea...