New Tales of the Vampires: includes Pandora and Vittorio the Vampire

New Tales of the Vampires: includes Pandora and Vittorio the Vampire

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  7,946 ratings  ·  33 reviews
InPandora, fledgling vampire David Talbot chronicles the history of Pandora, a two-thousand-year-old vampire, and in fifteenth-century Renaissance Florence, Vittorio finds his world shattered when his entire family is destroyed in an act of unholy violence and embarks on a desperate quest for revenge, in Vittorio, the Vampire, in an omnibus edition.

From the Trade Paperback...more
Published May 25th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published 1998)

April
(Review of Vittorio the Vampire):
Disappointing. Though hardly the majority’s favourite, I was still eager to read one of Rice’s ‘new tales of the Vampires series,’ having a curious interest in where she would go with the characters and, suffice to say, holding little enthusiasm regarding Pandora’s release – inadvertently making Vittorio a best bet.

In short? Quite dull. I drifted seamlessly through the story with faint interest in what was going on. I’m (what appears to be) in the minority of lon...more
Liza Cisnero
Pandora was just a huge rehashing of the character Marius. It was a trip down memory lane for any QotD readers. Vittorio lost me a bit.
Jeanne Peters
I finished Pandora but could not face more than a few pages of Vittorio. Yes, Pandora was a likable and interesting character but not enough to carry a book of this length. Many times I felt like I was just forcing myself to keep reading. I would have said this was good (but still too long for the amount of actual plot contained) if it had been fan fiction. I do not recommend this at all.
Opal Stanfield
Mar 16, 2014 Opal Stanfield is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a bit weird and a bit of a mystery, but then again so is Anne Rice. For some reason it's taking me some time to truly get into the book, but I won't give up!
Ta-Tanisha
Nov 12, 2007 Ta-Tanisha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction
Pandora was excellently written and gave me a glimpse of the Roman Empire I so love. I am having a little bit of difficulty finishing Vittorio, the Vampire. It is also well written, but just doesn't seem to catch my attention like Pandora.

Update 11/12/07:

I finished Vittorio and maybe I just misjudge this one. I think this story may be a little better than Pandora because it shows the conflicts between love and hate; passion and indiffence; good and evil.

Rice's descriptions in both books are viv...more
Kate Carridean
Pandora transported me to another time. I was spellbound
Sharon
Sep 29, 2009 Sharon rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore Anne Rice fans only
Not worth the time it takes to buy a copy. Incredibly weak and unbelievable, this is Anne Rice at her worst. I had high hopes when I started reading this, but they were dashed before I was even a quarter way through reading Pandora. I decided to read Vittorio and see if things improved, but it was more of the same trite, contrived and watered down mess as in the previous novel. Do yourself a favor and stay away.
Nur Jalilah
A good read. It had interesting characters that did come out to life, however, if you are comparing this book with her other Vampire novels, then it's best to not do so. Give this book a chance. It may not be as good as Interview or Queen of the Damned but it's still an enjoyable read. I loved this book mostly because of the time setting. I absolutely ADORED that it was from a really ancient time.
Lexy Ray
this is my favorite Anne rice vampire novel next to Blood and Gold the story of Marius. Pandora brings the female element into the classic vampire like story AND takes the story through love, immortality and classic female vs male personality that makes you have to want more. i love this story and every story that attached my beloved Pandora to it. it was awesome and i cant wait for more.
Jess
Still trying to figure out the real point of this novel. I struggled to really grasp a theme...or engaging plot. Pandora promises to tell her story but as a narrator, she limits the tale to a few key events told in detail without emotion. There is no way for audience to access any emotional subtext, leaving this novel flat and not just a little dull.
John
Both stories had so much potential. They definitely could have been more detailed like Interview With the Vampire. I might have felt more sympathy for Pandora or Vittorio if there was more. I recommend the book only if you love Anne Rice's other works. If you have never read Anne Rice this one could stop you from reading some of her better works.
Penicillium Chrysogenum
apparantly i borrowed the copy that was a condensation of both pandora and vittoro. i actually only read pandora. will read the other soon.

basically i think it's okay. a bit tedious to read, and highly un-engaging. but it's interesting if you grit your teeth. plus it's small on romance. whoos.
Hannah
Not my Favorite from Rice, but not bad. The first chapter was kind of boring, then it got interesting for a while. Then the end was kind of a recap of Marius story. Still a good story, really like Pandora. This is a review of just Pandora, not Vittorio. I am listning to that next!
Lori Anderson
I enjoyed the books, but wasn't wowed by either one of them. Just when I started to feel myself heading into Four Star Land, the tale would either falter or go into way too much esoteric detail. Not bad, but you could give this one a pass and not worry that you'd missed anything.
Steph
I really liked the book. The Pandora part was a good placement of that timeframe. It read slow but nice. The Vittorio part started bad. I didn't like it, but suddenly it turned and became an interresting story with some speed.
Chelsea
I liked these books in the style of Anne Rice, although I can't say they really stood out much in comparison to her earlier vampire works. Entertaining if you like her style. Probably not missing much if you don't.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
What happened? I really enjoyed Anne Rice when she first came out. The body thief was a travesty for me. Then I see Pandora is out and I'm excited. I was disappointed. This was not worth it.
Amanda
I was interested in Pandora's story after Queen of the Damned, but I was disappointed with it in the end.

Vittorio's story just lost me.
Brittney Dunham-vincent
I absolutely loved Vittorio the Vampire, I'll never forget the first paragraph of that book, it was a damn good way to begin a story.
Alftheo Potgieter
First person! I hate first person! But both the books read easily and have a good plot. Especially the second one is quite bloody
Rudy
I love this book. To me personally this is my favourite so far from Anne Rice's titles.
Catherine
This was fantastic. Anne Rice is an excellent writer. I wish her all the best
Leanne
My second favourite book of the vampire chronicles by Anne Rice.
Jenny
The first story was better than the second.
Freda White
i love everything i've read by anne rice.
Trisa
it was very good just like her
Gina
Again loved the historical details.
Amy Castleberry
All Ann Rice is good! Loved it
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • The Vampire Companion
  • Sleeping Beauty Box Set
  • Conversations with Anne Rice: An Intimate, Enlightening Portrait of Her Life and Work
  • The Last Vampire Collector's Edition Volume 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, Creatures of Forever
  • Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
  • Covenant with the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #1)
  • The Vampire Book
  • I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...
  • Haunted City: An Unauthorized Guide to the Magical, Magnificent New Orleans of Anne Rice
  • The Stephen King Universe: The Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • The Hunger (Hunger, #1)
  • Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King
  • Mina
  • Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned, Volume 1: The Charmer
  • The Poison Master
  • The Hellfire Club
  • The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near...more
More about Anne Rice...
Interview With The Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2) The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3) The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)