Start by marking “Summer at Seaside Cove” as Want to Read:
Summer at Seaside Cove

Summer at Seaside Cove

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  54 reviews
After Janie Newman's half sister Laurel steals her boyfriend, Jamie leaves New York and the humiliation behind for the island of Seaside Cove, North Carolina. But the cozy cottage she booked turns out to be a rundown bungalow. And she's not alone. Her drama-prone mother, angst- ridden niece and newly dumped Laurel all follow her down. With a cottage this crowded, will she ...more
Published (first published March 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Summer at Seaside Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer at Seaside Cove

Susan
Was reading merrily along - and loving every word - when suddenly about 2/3 way through I completely lost interest. I was trying to put my finger on why and realized it was because the sexual tension was gone and the story meandered along. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I was expecting something else to come along and it didn't.

I've read other by this author and enjoyed them. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the heck out of this one if only (spoiler) the hero and heroine kept banging hea
Lady Lioness
After spending April reading the bulk of Kristen Ashley's work and May re-reading Robin D. Owens, I've decided to spend June trying to mop up the RITA nominees. Summer at Seaside Cove was nominated for best contemporary. I thought it was okay, but nothing too earth-shattering. The 'jilted woman runs away to a cottage/cabin by a body of water' plot has been done before. And One Last Thing by Molly Harper, in particular, springs to mind (incidentally, this was also a nominee for a contemporary RIT ...more
Ian
I really like the premise for this book, Jamie runs away from her life in New York after her sister steals her boyfriend. She heads to a small seaside town in North Carolina (I think it was North Carolina) where she finds herself living in a rundown beach house. There she encounters her next door neighbor / landlord Nick and as you would expect the sparks fly.

This book could have been much better if it focused on the central characters. As it turned out, Jamie's mother, niece, sister and her mot
Chad
Feb 07, 2012 Chad rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contempoarary Romance fans
Reviewed for http://heartsonfirereviews.com/?p=1301

I laughed so many times during my reading adventure of this great book, that I lost count, what an amazing story.

This is a must read for anyone looking for a feel good contemporary romance, caution: Be prepared to laugh out loud with 'Summer at Seaside Cove'. Jacquie has a real winner with this book and its sequel coming out in 2012, her writing style is a breath of fresh air, and her story is solid and well told, with outstanding characters and
Fira Rosli
I think I'll just stick with Alessadro's historical romance books rather then her contemporary ones. Honestly, this book bored me to death and I read this in the bus en route to my work place. It didn't sparkle any interest or whatsoever feelings that I have to feel when reading a romance book.

Lovely and adorable characters though but still the story plot was too boring and predictable for me. I guess it's just me; who's apparently not in the mood for a modern romance story after waiting for 3
Sadie
I have never seen an author ignore her own subplots so much.

She literally had the heroine move 700 miles away to get away from her crazy family, then had her mother follow her there...then we don't see the mother for over 100 pages. The mother's boyfriend shows up and his big lines are "do you need help with the luggage" and "at least your not a red sox fan" -- then her niece shows up. At least the niece occasionally shows up on the page.

When the hero tells her his "big secret" she (like the res
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Jamie runs from her life in New York City and ends up in Seaside Cove, North Carolina only to have her family arrive on her front doorstep.

Opening Sentence: The decapitated, plastic pink flamingo, standing ass-feathers deep in what looked like poison ivy, was Jamie Newman’s first clue that doom had followed her from New York.

The Review:

Contemporary romances should be a fine wine that you savor through out a meal but more often than not you a
JPerceval
I was thrilled to see Jacquie D'Alessandro going back to contemporaries, because I adore when she writes them. Her characters are always down-to-earth and realistic, and the romances are sweet with a great touch of humor. I was doubly excited that the Café chose this book for the official discussion in June as well -- I could share my love of "Jacquie D" with my favorite peeps.

Jamie Newman has to get away from her problems. She's managed her family's restaurant, Newman's, in NYC, all her adult
Nath
Once Upon
Jamie felt that by putting 700 miles in between her life drama and the back staving half-sister who stole her boyfriend , she could get away and have a chance to recover from the humiliation. But her life was getting from bad to worse when she finds that her getaway rental cottage retreat is far from a retreat and more like a nightmare. She confronts Nick, the owner, only to find that she has trouble keeping her wits around the guy, and will have no choice but to tough it out for the 2 months th ...more
Heidi Rice

Wow, just finished. Nick and Jamie literally leap off the page at you (when they're not steaming it up that is). Particularly enjoyed their early encounters which were laugh out loud funny as well as being very Hot! Just the sort of book I love with lots of sparkling dialogue, very funny internal thought (even the dog's eye view was spot-on) a great setting (suddenly have a desire to go to the little island of Seaside Cove and attend a clam festival - not something I would have previously expect
Leslie
Thanks to Hils' review at Impressions of a Reader, I gave Ms. Alessandro's contemporary romance a try. So very happy I did! This was a lovely, witty romance with a heroine I could totally relate to and a hero that I adored. The small coastal town adds just the right amount of sweetness without overwhelming the romance.

Jamie Newman is running away. But that's okay because she deserves to run and take shelter far away from pain and betrayal. The only trouble is, she can't seem to shake her bad luc
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
So I've read a few Jacquie D'Alessandro stories before. They've been Harlequin Blaze books or short stories in other anthologies. And even though they've been short, I've like her humor and her characters. So when I was browsing the library and saw a full length contemporary romance I had to try it. I'm glad I did.

Jamie Newman heads to a small NC beach town to get away from her problems and figure out where her life is going. Unfortunately as everyone knows running away from your problems isn't
HK
Nick and Jamie. Jamie takes a vacation from her family and family business restaurant in NY to Florida for 2 months. The rented house is run down, and Nick Trent in the next house is the owner of the rental house. Jamie wanted to get away from her troubles. Her boyfriend left Jamie for her older step-sister, but her Mom, niece, and Lauren (step-sister who slept with Jamie's boyfriend) all follow her to Florida. Cute story, warm hotness, not too exciting story (no murder or mistery). OK and cute ...more
Kezermezer
When Jamie Newman's half sister steals her boyfriend, Jamie escapes the hustle and bustle of her busy New York life to take some time for herself for once. Seaside Cove is supposed to be her sanctuary, but her charming cottage turns out to be a run-down bungalow, her landlord Nick is an annoyingly sexy man with secrets, and now her troubles from back home are following her one by one.

This was a charming book with likable characters, hot sex scenes, and a clever sense of humor reminiscent of Jil
Barbara
Nothing spectacular going on here; just a nice, sometimes sweet romance. Jamie has fled NYC to coastal NC for the summer to try and put her life together. She's rented a beach cottage in the Outer Banks (very fictional) community of Seaside Cove. Her hunky next door neighbor, Nick, is also her landlord. He's rather mysterious, but turns out to be a cool guy. Their relationship starts off prickly, and then slowly develops into a really hawt summer romance. There's the requisite number of quirky s ...more
Ann  Lorz
I was really excited about reading this book. It sounded so good. I've been into contemporary romance lately and I added this story to the list. The problem for me was this book took forever to get anywhere. It was boring. It wasn't that I didn't like either Jamie or Nick. I think that if the book moved better and faster it would have been a good story. Instead by the end, I didn't care anymore. If you more into books that are slower paced I think you'd like this. But for us that want to be sitt ...more
Gail
This was a cute, fun read. Heroine has temporarily abandoned her job to sort out her life, and winds up in a rental that's falling down around her ears--which sparks a prickly relationship with the hero, her landlord. And then her life follows her to North Carolina. (I couldn't figure out where along the east coast this was for the longest, but finally, late in the story, I stumbled across it.) First one family member shows up, then ... well, read it. It's a good read.
BJ
Enjoyable read. Story of Jamie, manager of family restaurant in New York City who goes to Seaside Cove, North Carolina to get away from family and responsibilities after a particularly bad breakup with a man. There she meets a man, Nick, her landlord, makes lots of new friends and gets involved in the local community. Then mayhem ensues when her family follows her 1 by 1. There is going to be a followup book, definitely putting on my list.
Vallyn
So this book was a book club selection. Not a bad book at all but it wasn't the best book in my opinion. It is about Janie and her summer away from life and all of its dramas. She goes to Seaside Cove to finally get an over due break only to have things not turn out how she expected. The writing in the book was okay at times I felt like it just dragged out. I really enjoyed the story but in the end it was really kind of predictable.
Joan
Jul 21, 2011 Joan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys humor with their romance.
I love this book. The chemistry between Jamie and Nick is hot and the way they are fighting it is so funny. I can't stop laughing the conversations between the two of them are hilarious. I can't say it enough, I love this book, the main characters are a perfect counter balance to each other. The background characters are just as funny and their stories are just as interesting. I would highly recommend this book for a fun time.
Eve
Cute, easy, summer reading. I read it over the course of a few days, so it wasn't really compelling but it made for a decent fun read. I'm more of a fan of intense dramatic/thriller/romance contemporaries, but I'd probably give it 2 and a half stars. Took a while to get going but there was some good chemistry between the leads. Don't think I'd read it again but I might read the next one in the series - if that makes any sense!
Jude Bown
Love Jacquie's work. Very clever and funny. Jacquie's brilliance is in her great love scenes...extremely sensual without great detail. This was a dutiful daughter story which could have resulted in extreme angst from weighty family issues. She beautifully balanced the underlying struggles with the anticipated hope of a joy-filled life for the heroine. Totally loved the quirky community folk. I do love me some quirk!
Christy
4.5 stars. Really hit the spot. Sweet and witty. My only peeve: Even southern NC beaches are only about 600 miles from Manhattan, not 700 as she repeatedly said.
Nfadziela Lee
I love the story and of course the writing was great... And I had a problem with the book that I just bought at Times yesterday... I came across page 230 jump to page 265... I totally miss almost 30 pages just due to printing errors... Someone should done something so that this kind of problems didnt happened again next time... But anyway the story was great but not on my 5 stars story.. ^___^
Donna
I absolutely loved this!! It was the perfect blend of humor, romance, personal growth and family dynamics. Nick and Jamie were terrific both individually and as a couple. I thought the conflict resolution between Jamie and Laurel was very realistic. And of course, Seaside Cove was the typical small community. I was thrilled to see that there will be more books in this series!!!
Evie Owens
This book was highly recommended to me by a good friend so I bought it immediately! And I did enjoy it. It was light but also emotional, two of my favorite things in contemporary romance. It wasn't quite the keeper for me, that it was for my friend, but I was glad I read it and am interested in the next book in the series.
Abby Green
Really enjoyed this, it drew you in. The secondary characters were believable and endearing. Only quibble would be not enough tension between the H and h, it was quite a gentle love story (albeit *hot*). I'm looking forward to the next in the series though, hope there's a few more sparks between Laurel and her man ;)
This was not the sense of humor I was in the mood for at the time.
Avital
I liked the romance part of it but there was way too much soap drama.

Spoiler: The only good thing to come out of her family drama is nick's very laid back reaction to it which was just a breath of very needed fresh air.

Overall a good summer romance.
Sequel? 3 7 Sep 04, 2013 06:39AM
  • Silver Sparks (Barringer's Pass #1)
  • Making Waves
  • Heartstrings and Diamond Rings
  • At Hidden Falls (Angel's Bay, #4)
  • The Welcome Home Garden Club (Twilight, Texas, #4)
  • One Good Reason
  • Slow Dancing on Price's Pier: A Novel
  • Tis the Season to Be Sinful
  • Barefoot in the Sun (Barefoot Bay, #3)
  • Still the One
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Playing for Keeps (Cricket Creek, #1)
  • Villere House (Blood of My Blood #1)
  • Hunk for the Holidays (Hunk for the Holidays, #1)
  • Flawless (The Christies, #1)
  • The Edge of Night
  • Unwrapped
  • Guarded (Tidewater, #2)
Growing up on Long Island, New York, I fell in love with romance at an early age. I dreamed of being swept away by a dashing rogue riding a spirited stallion. When my hero finally showed up, he was dressed in jeans and drove a Volkswagon, but I recognized him anyway. We married after both graduating from Hofstra University and are now living our happily-ever-afters in Atlanta, Georgia, along with ...more
More about Jacquie D'Alessandro...
Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1) The Bride Thief Confessions at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2) Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4) Red Roses Mean Love