Start by marking “There Were Monkeys In My Kitchen” as Want to Read:
There Were Monkeys In My Kitchen

There Were Monkeys In My Kitchen

4.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Our young heroine awakens one morning to total chaos when she discovers hordes of chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans have taken over her home. The baboon catastrophe continues despite her valiant efforts to restore order, until official help arrives -- and something else!
Published June 27th 1994 by Doubleday Canada (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about There Were Monkeys In My Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Were Monkeys In My Kitchen

Debbie
Dec 30, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“First published in 1992, There Were Monkeys in My Kitchen won the Mr. Christie Award for Best Canadian Children’s book. With hilarious new illustrations by Sydney Smith and Sheree Fitch’s zany rhymes, this edition will introduce the bestselling book to a whole new generation.”

I was delighted with this book, but Steven, at three, not so much. He liked the rhymes which are catchy and change meter often. But some of the terms went too far over his head.

Monkeys of every kind in every room: gorillas
Kim
Sep 22, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 4-8
Recommended to Kim by: Librarian
There Were Monkeys in my Kitchen! By Sheree Fitch. Illustrated by Marc Mongeau. Doubleday Canada Ltd., 1992. ISBN 0-385-25349-4 (hardcover); 0-385-25470-9 (paperback).

A young girl tells the story of how monkeys, gorillas, and chimpanzees invade her home in swarms. She attempts to contact the authorities several times in order to get assistance in dealing with the unwanted visitors. The entire time, the animals are thoroughly enjoying all the comforts of her home.

This story is illustrated with br
Becky B
A girl has a severe primate problem. There are monkeys and gorillas and chimpanzees dancing all over house. She tries calling the Royal Canadian Mounted Police several times, but they don't take her seriously for a while.

A silly rhymed story. K-3 will probably eat up the crazy antics of the monkeys and how the police don't believe her. The beat of the rhyme didn't always completely flow, so I felt the poetry could have been a little better. The art is certainly crazy to match the words. Pick thi
JustOneMoreBook.com
Jan 24, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Concentrated chaos, comedy and commotion explode from every detail-packed image and fervent verse of this frenzied celebration of syllables and silliness.

Is it just me, or does this book perfectly capture the pandemonium of parenting?

Listen to our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Kiirstin
Oct 09, 2013 Kiirstin rated it liked it
Delightful and entertaining, and I am perhaps unfairly contrasting it against Fitch's other works (Mabel Murple being a particular favourite). Just doesn't flow quite as well as some of her other works. That said, inventive and playful, charming and cute. Illustrations by Sydney Smith fit perfectly. A not-quite-as-great Sheree Fitch book is still light years ahead of most everything else.
Jessie
Jan 08, 2014 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Read this to the kids in the school library this week and they loved it. It has a good rhythm and is fun and silly. I really enjoyed reading it!
Jean Oram
Mar 14, 2012 Jean Oram rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A fun rhyming book with a great rhythm. There were monkeys in her kitchen. Doing all kinds of crazy stuff. What should she do? Nothing she does helps and when she calls the police they all disappear--or do they? A fun book to read aloud.
Cece
Feb 01, 2016 Cece rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Awesome book!! Loved it as a kid!! A childhood favorite. I remember how my sister practically memorized the whole thing because of how much she loved it. I've gotta buy this someday.
Sam
Nov 22, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with kids
A friend recommended it to me so I picked it up to read while babysitting. It was a big hit with my nephews, both boys (4 & 7) loved it.
Heather
Feb 20, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Never read this before, but I think it is a LOT of fun.
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Sylvan Library
Sylvan Library marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Chris Butler
Chris Butler rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Amanda Eberhard
Amanda Eberhard rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
John McLaughlin
John McLaughlin rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Jessica Anne
Jessica Anne rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Julie Lewis
Julie Lewis rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Maggie Dee
Maggie Dee rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Anna Banana
Anna Banana marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Shelly Ritchot
Shelly Ritchot rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Annemarie
Annemarie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Erin
Erin added it
Apr 01, 2015
Audrey
Audrey added it
Mar 21, 2015
Nimbus Publishing
Nimbus Publishing rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Lorraine Helson
Lorraine Helson rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Shamali Bose
Shamali Bose marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
From the Writer's Federation of Nova Scotia:

"Sheree Fitch is an educator, literacy activist and author of award winning poetry, picture books, nonfiction, plays and novels for all ages. Her first book, Toes in My Nose, illustrated by Molly Lamb Bobak, was launched in 1987. The books that followed have garnered numerous awards, including The Mr. Christie Award for There Were Monkeys in My Kitchen,
More about Sheree Fitch...