Start by marking “Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook” as Want to Read:
Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook

Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is the book that Maria Montesorri wrote in response to requests from thousands of American parents and teachers. A short, illustrated guide to the use of the Montessori classroom materials, it shows how to set up a “children’s house”—an environment for learning where children can be their own masters, free to learn at their own pace.

Frames for lacing and buttoning, ge
Published March 30th 2011 by Schocken (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook

Fariza
I've learn a lot from this book. Montessori have done a great job to create a method that help to improve how human handles their children. When she explain about how we as an adult human should respect this small human that we used to be I've felt that I've been done lots of mean things to children. As a teacher I'm used to force them to do things, asked them questions that they can't answer and even scold them. First, we have to respect the children as another human being then we can let them ...more
Courtney Handermann
Love the Montessori focus on the senses, exploring the world, and letting children have valuable "work." Some of Dr. Montessori's premises are off, so I'm still considering how that impacts her methods and tools. This book is primarily about the tools, but she goes into her premises a little more in "Childhood Education." Without having dug through her premises yet, I'm still really impressed with her "tools," which remind me of a lot of the games that fascinated me when I was little. Even if I ...more
Karyn
Very short, but an interesting look into Maria Montessori's education methods. I learned a lot and gained a few good insights into why certain practices work. I like the Montessori ideas a lot and have started using them a little in our homeschool.
Jordan
"If we give children 'the means of existence', the struggle for it disappears, and a vigorous expansion of life takes it's place."

"The aim is an inner one, namely that the child train himself to observe;that he be led to make comparisons between objects, to form judgements, to reason and to decide; and it is in the indefinite repetition of this exercise of attention and of intelligence that a real development ensues."

Every parent ought to familiarize themselves with the work of Dr. Montessori...
Kristen
Interesting background on small children and how they develop
Irina
I read the Kindle edition, which leaves out all of the illustrations being described by Montessori. If you plan of reading the same version, it's a must to familiarize yourself with the Montessori didactic equipment in order to clearly understand the exercises. Otherwise, a very interesting read on Montessori's method.
Aimee
Again, I need to re-read this book. My initial exposure to Montessori's writings were years ago and my current experience requires that I re-read to remind myself, reteach myself and expand on ideas which were brand new to me at the time.
Lindsey
Fascinating book and a great primer on children's mental development.
Sally Clark
Quick read to see how and why Montessori materials are to be used.
Becky
Dry dry dry. Not the typical read from Dr. Montessori.
Heidi Mcjunkin
A great overview of the basic lessons for 3-6 year olds.
Cassandra
very long explanations but good information
Cristian
Cristian is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015
Walaa
Walaa marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
DeAyn
DeAyn marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Breeanca Jumper
Breeanca Jumper is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Kiran
Kiran marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Yuejiahuang
Yuejiahuang is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
Jonahwang
Jonahwang marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Anna Io
Anna Io marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Khadija Obeed
Khadija Obeed marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Jim Dreer-lumley
Jim Dreer-lumley marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Basic Montessori: Learning Activities For Under-Fives
  • Montessori Madness!: A Parent to Parent Argument for Montessori Education
  • Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six
  • When Can You Trust the Experts?: How to Tell Good Science from Bad in Education
  • Conscientious Objections: Stirring Up Trouble About Language, Technology and Education
  • Theories of Childhood: An Introduction to Dewey, Montessori, Erikson, Piaget, and Vygotsky
  • Endangered Minds: Why Children Dont Think And What We Can Do About It
  • The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon
  • How Children Fail
  • Free at Last: The Sudbury Valley School
  • The Last Professors: The Corporate University and the Fate of the Humanities
  • 50 Rules Kids Won't Learn in School: Real-world Antidotes to Feel-good Education
Maria Montessori was an Italian physician, educator, philosopher, humanitarian and devout Catholic; she is best known for her philosophy and the Montessori method of education of children from birth to adolescence. Her educational method is in use today in a number of public as well as private schools throughout the world.
More about Maria Montessori...
The Absorbent Mind The Secret of Childhood The Montessori Method Education And Peace (Clio Montessori) To Educate the Human Potential

“Children must grow not only in the body but in the spirit, and the mother longs to follow the mysterious spiritual journey of the beloved one who to-morrow will be the intelligent, divine creation, man.” 3 likes