Luke's Way of Looking

Luke's Way of Looking

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  9 reviews
All the boys in Luke's art class see things the same way -- except for Luke. Luke has his own vision of the world, a wild, colorful, crazy vision that upsets his art teacher ("he went ballistic") and confuses the other boys. When he just can't face one more difficult day at school, Luke discovers a whole "palace" filled with wild, colorful, crazy pieces of art.
Published October 1st 2001 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers

Julie
This Picture Book provides a great way to introduce an appreciation of differences between individuals in young readers. The illustrations and writing complement each other beautifully.
Yasmine
Dale
Story of perceptions and individuality; how different people view the world and how this can ostracise them.
Tanja
Absolutely stunning! I had heard about this book but never got a chance to see a copy, until today. What an amazing story and great reminder about keeping in mind that we are all different and that the way we see things might totally differ from the way others see the same thing. The story narrates Luke's painful but rewarding artistic journey from frustration to liberation. The author has done a brilliant job in letting the reader experience Luke's feelings first hand. (I wish I could find an a...more
Jessica
Luke's Way of Looking tells about a boy named Luke who saw things differently. The art teacher failed to appreciate Luke's creativity, but Luke kept holding on to his imagination. This is such a great book that tells us it's okay to be different. Just because you see things differently, doesn't mean you're wrong.
Carol
Great book for any modern or surrealist work. Great story where the Luke discovers that his different perspective is not wrong as his teacher belittles him. Instead after visiting an art museum, he learns that many great artists also had the same perspective that he has.
Kat
A lovely, cute children's book. My wife plans to write a children's book. I am doing some research so I can help her. Also I am trying to win my reading challenge and children's books are going to be the only way.
Linda
For every child, or adult, who 'sees' things differently, because a creative eye can be so exciting and can free you from a very dull classroom.

The Styling Librarian
Loved reading this book, sad teacher representation. Loved the celebration of art throughout the book.
Alice Fairfoul
Alice Fairfoul marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Georgia Fitzpatrick
Georgia Fitzpatrick is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2014
Calvan Cao
Calvan Cao marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Sammy Yu
Sammy Yu marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Jae Carey
Jae Carey marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Erica
Erica added it
Apr 02, 2013
Timothy Lanch
Timothy Lanch marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2012
C W
C W marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2012
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2012
John Lloyd
John Lloyd marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2012
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2012
My Place A Banner Bold: The Diary of Rosa Aarons Five Times Dizzy The Life and Myth of Charmian Clift The House That Was Eureka