Start by marking “Luke's Way of Looking” as Want to Read:
Luke's Way of Looking

Luke's Way of Looking

All the boys in Luke's art class see things the same way -- except for Luke. Luke has his own vision of the world, a wild, colorful, crazy vision that upsets his art teacher ("he went ballistic") and confuses the other boys. When he just can't face one more difficult day at school, Luke discovers a whole "palace" filled with wild, colorful, crazy pieces of art.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Luke's Way of Looking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luke's Way of Looking

Julie
Sep 25, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
This Picture Book provides a great way to introduce an appreciation of differences between individuals in young readers. The illustrations and writing complement each other beautifully.
Yasmine
Jun 04, 2012 Yasmine rated it it was amazing
Tanja
Sep 17, 2012 Tanja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Absolutely stunning! I had heard about this book but never got a chance to see a copy, until today. What an amazing story and great reminder about keeping in mind that we are all different and that the way we see things might totally differ from the way others see the same thing. The story narrates Luke's painful but rewarding artistic journey from frustration to liberation. The author has done a brilliant job in letting the reader experience Luke's feelings first hand. (I wish I could find an a ...more
Christine Braid
One of my favourite picturebooks because the words and pictures work so well together. The illustrator builds on the author's words about Luke who sees things differently from his classmates. His love for art and an experience in the art gallery enables him to be confident in who he is. I use it with 9 year olds and above and find these children find much to discuss as we share the story.
Jessica
Feb 12, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Luke's Way of Looking tells about a boy named Luke who saw things differently. The art teacher failed to appreciate Luke's creativity, but Luke kept holding on to his imagination. This is such a great book that tells us it's okay to be different. Just because you see things differently, doesn't mean you're wrong.
Carol
Sep 25, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing
Great book for any modern or surrealist work. Great story where the Luke discovers that his different perspective is not wrong as his teacher belittles him. Instead after visiting an art museum, he learns that many great artists also had the same perspective that he has.
Kat
Dec 11, 2012 Kat rated it it was amazing
A lovely, cute children's book. My wife plans to write a children's book. I am doing some research so I can help her. Also I am trying to win my reading challenge and children's books are going to be the only way.
The Styling Librarian
Jun 02, 2012 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Loved reading this book, sad teacher representation. Loved the celebration of art throughout the book.
Dale
Feb 15, 2014 Dale rated it really liked it
Story of perceptions and individuality; how different people view the world and how this can ostracise them.
Zeal
Jul 18, 2016 Zeal rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is one of the very few picture books that i've read but it's really good. After I read it a few times, I started seeing alot of clues in the pictures. It was really amazing discovering them.
Linda
Aug 12, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
For every child, or adult, who 'sees' things differently, because a creative eye can be so exciting and can free you from a very dull classroom.

Betty
Betty rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2015
Tragicomedy
Tragicomedy rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Signe
Signe rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2011
Maggie Besh
Maggie Besh rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Sakaewan Chuenchom
Sakaewan Chuenchom rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2014
Dancingdiva
Dancingdiva rated it did not like it
Sep 29, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
J
J rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2008
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2012
TheEagerReaders Violet
TheEagerReaders Violet rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2010
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Rania T
Rania T rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Meg Dunley
Meg Dunley rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2013