Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I

Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  14 reviews
No-limit hold em was once only a tournament game. Cash games were rarely spread in conventional poker rooms, let alone the Internet. All of that changed when the game exploded on television. No-limit cash games started sprouting up at casinos of all types. No-limit hold em is now the most popular form of poker. Tournaments pushed it to the forefront, and a great deal of mo...more
Published July 20th 2007 by Two Plus Two Publishing LLC (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Professional No-Limit Hold 'em, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Professional No-Limit Hold 'em

Jim Butler
I see that my stat tracking software says I've played 30,000 hands online in the last two years. I have over 50 poker books on my bookshelves. I'm placing this book on my top shelf with the other classics from Sklansky, Harrington, et al to reread over and over as I get better. There is no other book that concentrates so heavily on why a bet should be sized as it is strategically rather than just tactically. Other authors have admonished to plan your hand and control the size of the pot, but thi...more
Whitney
This book gives you a real good framework with which to think about no-limit hold 'em. The scary thing about no-limit to inexperienced players is the all-in threat. Most people don't like the idea of playing a single hand of poker for their entire stack. This fear comes from not planning your hand. The theories in this book about stack-to-pot ratios and the REM process take some practice, but once mastered, they make no-limit decisions much easier. You will even find yourself welcoming all-in si...more
Eddy
Feb 23, 2012 Eddy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poker
I found the theory excellent and would suggest a 5 Star rating. I struggled with the way the theory was put together though. It didn't flow for me quite as smoothly as the Harrington Tourny books. I read the first half of the book twice. The second half I need to re-read again, as I have only read it once. It will take some time to implement the theory learnt here into my game. I'm not good enough yet to start implementing the theory as second nature in my game, after one or even two readings.

Joe
Dec 09, 2007 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nlhe players
Seems to be very centered around a single idea, the ratio of your stack to the pot. Miller et al argue that when the ratio reaches a predetermined point, you commit to the hand and go all in. This sounds theoretically sound but requires that your opponent cooperate.

EDIT: I finished my first reading. I stand by my opion that Miller assumes that your opponents will call with less when you get your shorter stack in with top pair.
Aaron
Nov 08, 2007 Aaron rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poker
One of the best books I've seen on cash-game (as opposed to tournament) poker. This book goes into concepts above and beyond most traditional poker books, and delves very deeply into a lot of the mathematical decisions--not odds and outs, but stack sizes, and levels of commitment... essentially making smart decisions earlier to make the later decisions easier. A great poker book, and one of the top 5 I've ever read (and I've read quite a few).
CV Rick
I guess it's time to close this book out of my currently reading list, even though I'm still reading it. This is my 3rd time through and this time I'm taking detailed notes. It's changed the way I approach cash games for the better. In fact, I think it's more valuable than the Harrington series on cash games because of its advanced concepts. I'll be getting volume two today, but I'm not sure that I'm ready for it.
David Long
The first comprehensive introduction to strategy and tactics for "the Cadillac of Poker." Systematic, thorough and well-organized. Requires more than a rudimentary acquaintance with the game to grasp the more advanced approach offered here. A real winner. Important adddition to the library of any truly serious no limit hold 'em player.
Mason
Excellent book for the player experienced with poker not looking to understand bet sizing and the strategy of playing a no-limit hand from beginning to end. Really a beginner's book on no-limit play, but really puts a structure on what is a wide-open topic.
Seytin
The concepts in the book WILL make you money if you apply them. The sections about Stack-to-Pot ratios and Commitment thresholds are so good that I can't believe I ever played no limit with out reading them. Brilliant.
Abram Himelstein
I read the book, went to the casino, and lost $200. But it took me three hours. Without the book I'd have lost it in two and a half.
This book is betting strategy- not card-playing- you're supposed to know that already.
Tim
Reviewed for Card Player. Excellent, abstruse, useful (but probably/certainly antiquated in terms of strategic advice).
Erik Ellison
I probably need to read this book a few more times...
Frankx99
One of the best NL-Hold-em books out there
Keanu
2nd best book I've read on cash games.
Marc
Marc is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
J
J marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Daniel De lavalle t
Daniel De lavalle t marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Alexander Medvetsky
Alexander Medvetsky marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Sbonk
Sbonk is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Evil Evan
Evil Evan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Gavdog
Gavdog marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I: 1 Olin: Drug Facts and Comparisons 1996 Outback Australia: True Stories - Vol. 1 Advanced Life Support for the USMLE Step 2 American Drug Index 1996