Start by marking “Crush: 26 Real-Life Tales of First Love” as Want to Read:
Crush: 26 Real-Life Tales of First Love

Crush: 26 Real-Life Tales of First Love

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  28 reviews

Readers will fall head over heels for this nostalgic and irreverent collection.
Twenty-six bestselling authors return to the teenage bedrooms, school hallways and college dorms of their youth to share passionate essays of love lost and found and lessons learned along the way. Whether heartbreaking or hilarious, their soul-baring honesty reminds us to keep reaching for true
Published June 1st 2011 by Harlequin Nonfiction (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Crush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crush

Jenni V.
Aaahhhh, young love. This quick read was a great opportunity to reminisce on the successes and failures of that pivotal first crush.

Out of the 26 stories there were only 2 I didn't like, making it a hit for me.

My favorite story was Olfactory by Catherine Newman. My close second, and winner of 'the most interesting title', was Uncle Greg, a Giant Chicken, and the Murderous Pottery Wheel by Heather Swain.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"I'm older now, so a kiss is great and fireworks sometimes go off an
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Posted on Reading Lark 5/10/11:

Crush is a collection of 26 essays from well known authors. If you are anything like me, you may often forget that writers are real people with real drama and real relationships just like the rest of us. For whatever reason, I have also put authors on pedestals as if they are more deity than human. I suppose that's natural since I love to read so much. This book shows that writers are often just normal, dorky humans l
The Joy of Booking
This charming collection of essays relives the heady joy, the awful nervousness, and the gentle maturation of crushes and first love. In the double baker’s dozen, there are crushes unspoken and unrequited, clumsy attempts at leaving the “friend zone”, skillful attempts at leaving the “friend zone”, and an honest-to-goodness first love meant-to-be marriage. As with most crushes, the stories are somewhat selfish and navel-gazing, idolizing someone to the point of completely ignoring who they reall ...more
Hi There Check out my Blog if you want

While reading Crush:26 Real-Life Tales of First Love the anthology about crushes-obviously- by Andrea n. Richesin I felt nostalgic for something that I feel like I have no right to feel nostalgic for. I make it quite plain all the time that I’m not a fan of the cheesy commercialize version of love. Or sappy Romantic Comedies were the girl always gets her guy or vice versa,I like love stories that have a twist maybe that
In this collection of short stories from editor Andrea Richesin, 26 authors revisit their own lives to tell a story about the first time that they fell in love. Readers looking for a nostalgic trip down memory lane back to their teenage bedrooms and high schools and summers will find a kindred spirit in this book about first love and first heartbreak. These stories examine what it means to fall in love, have a crush, and be crushed by love.

This anthology of short stories from some very notable a
Ah, first love. It’s a sweet, magical time when our feelings are a mixed up mess and we gaze longingly at the one we adore. Well, until your crushed by your new love and you becoming a blabbering idiot. Oh wait, that was me…

First loves (and crushes) are a mighty thing, and in this anthology we get a glimpse into the pivotal and highly personal lives of some of our favorite authors. From the sweet and fun first love of Lauren Oliver, to Heather Swain and her borderline stalking of “Uncle” Greg to
This is a collection of essays from different authors which makes it hard to assign a star rating. Most of the essays were two stars, with a few three stars and one five star, I think, so three seems fair. Overall I was disappointed with this book. It is supposed to be a collection of essays in which authors write about their first/favorite crushes. I was expecting something much more angst-y. Aren't most first crushes unrequited? Not in this collection. In essay after essay, people talked about ...more
I'm a bit of a sucker for books on love right now, and anthologies always catch my eye.

The idea is cute - a lot of times we forget about our past, and it's lovely to see these twenty-six authors dredge up old memories, think about their lives, and promise us that no matter what we've dealt with in the past, we do still have a future.

The quality, however, really does vary. There are a handful of great stories (In particular, "Consequently Yours" by Laurie Faria Stolarz really caught my interest
Books to the Sky
I received this book from Harlequin in exchange for an honest review.

To see more reviews go to

I thought this was a really cute book. I really enjoyed all the different types of first loves, from mere crushes on celebrities to full out romances. Heterosexual, gay, fantasy, it was all in there.

Some of the short stories made me laugh, some made me sigh with nostalgia, and some were those that I couldn't relate to personally but I enjoyed reading it all the same.

I guess what st
Dina Guardado
Aug 09, 2015 Dina Guardado rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I loved reading this book.
Its good to know your not alone when it comes to crushes.
Nov 09, 2011 Katherine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katherine by: Bookswapper
Shelves: chick-lit-reads
I saw this book during a bookswap and even though I didn't get it, it sounded like a great book for going down memory lane of first loves. And I loved reading them! Just read a couple of stories each day, which really felt like wonderful chick lit guilty pleasures... but they were all true! Just goes to show how insane this world is. But crushes - ahhh - it's nice to remember my own crushes as I read this. And going back to that moment where it consumed your whole world for a period in your life ...more
I really enjoyed this collection of essays on crushes. Although there is a little bit of overlap (a couple people had summer vacation flings at 19 or some variation of that), but I was actually really surprised at all the different avenues a first crush could take: obsession with a celebrity, starter marriage, the idea that a crush means saying no to other options. I really liked it and found myself wanting to talk to other people about it, even if it meant explaining the entire essay first.
Caroline M.
Nicki Richesin's anthology is a terrific collection of essays by writers ranging from Jacqueline Mitchard to Ann Hood, Rebecca Walker and Robert Wilder. Their essays are frank, sometimes funny and often bittersweet -- after all this is first love, and the angst the relationship causes can last longer than the relationship itself! The essays are beautifully written and will stay with you as long as your memories of your own first love.
Luann Schindler
Is this great literature? No. But, it filled with heart-felt stories about first love. Remember that first crush? Sometimes, the feelings were returned. Sometimes, the secret remained buried. What's great about this anthology is that readers are connected to the writer because we've all experienced that rush of heat...and lived to tell about it.
Beth Gordon
I haven't heard of most of the authors in this collection so when I ran across an author name I recognized, I found it delightful to learn more about her past.

When you read a collection of short stories by various authors, not all will resonate with you. That sentiment is true in this collection. Still, a fun read.
Started reading this for book club. Very cute, I like it. But I only have 2 more days to finish!!!! I've now finished the book and it was only OK. It's not a book I would have picked up on my own. Looking forward to the next book club book selection.
A good collection of hilariaous and heartbreaking stories about that first crush. I can't even rememeber mine. Not all the stories are good, but standouts include Levithans and Almonds, two of amy favorite writers.
Quick essays from various writers on who their first crush was. Some were more easy to relate to than others, but overall, it was a good read. Everyone remembers their first crush, hopefully fondly!
I picked this up for the David Levithan essay but stayed for the bittersweet collection of biographical essays concerning crushes and how they affected the writer.
Miss Bookiverse
Apparently this story collection contains pieces by David Levithan, Lauren Oliver and others. The first 2 names are enough for me to want it bad :D
Some of the essays were good, some were boring, and some were a little creepy (quite a few preteens hooking up with high school and older guys).
Really really lovely book. So many great stories. I loved knowing that they were real. It made me feel hopeful about a lot of things.
Laurie B-W
I enjoyed finding out how all the contributors interpreted the ideas "crush" and "first love." This book was delightful.
Lori Rader-Day
Bought this book because a friend was published in it. It ended up being really enjoyable and fun.
Sweet. Could of used a few more stories with seriously self-indulgent heartbreak :-)
Some of the essays are great, but some are just so-so.
May 08, 2011 Katie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Anthology, includes essay by Catherine Newman
Harlequin Books
Category: Relationships
Leah Setty
Leah Setty marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
  • Man with a Pan
  • It's Not You, It's Biology.: The Science of Love, Sex, and Relationships
  • The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater: 21 Funny Women on Beauty, Body Image, and Other Hazards of Being Female
  • Greed (Seven Deadly Sins, #7)
  • The Bastard on the Couch: 27 Men Try Really Hard to Explain Their Feelings About Love, Loss, Fatherhood, and Freedom
  • Chill mal, Frau Freitag
  • Blood Brothers
  • Don't Try This At Home: Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs
  • Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition, and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves
  • Juno's Daughters: A Novel
  • What You Wish For: A Book for Darfur
  • Willful Impropriety: 13 Tales of Society, Scandal  and Romance
  • Losing it
  • Words to Eat By: Five Foods and the Culinary History of the English Language
Andrea N. Richesin is the editor of four anthologies, Crush: 26 Real-life Tales of First Love; Because I Love Her: 34 Women Writers Reflect on the Mother-Daughter Bond; What I Would Tell Her: 28 Devoted Dads on Bringing Up, Holding On To, and Letting Go of their Daughters; and The May Queen: Women on Life, Love, Work and Pulling it all Together in Your Thirties. Her books have been excerpted and p ...more
More about Andrea N. Richesin...