Start by marking “Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day” as Want to Read:
Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day

Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Whether it’s sewing clothes, making cheese, or growing a garden, the modern appeal of “do-it-yourself” projects has a broader reach than ever. And who better to teach us how to DIY our lives than the über-crafty editors of BUST, the quirky, raw, and real magazine “for women who have something to get off their chests”? In The BUST DIY Guide to Life, magazine founders Debbie ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Bust DIY Guide to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bust DIY Guide to Life

Twisted Stitches by Phil DavisonAnticraft by Renee RigdonCreepy Cute Crochet by Christen HadenThe Star Wars Craft Book by Bonnie BurtonKnits for Nerds by Toni Carr
Geek crafts
68th out of 68 books — 14 voters
You're Getting Married Soon... Now What? by Eeva LancasterSalt Sugar Fat by Michael MossAdulting by Kelly Williams BrownF*ck! I'm in My Twenties by Emma KoenigDon't Worry, It Gets Worse by Alida Nugent
Non-Fiction for Women in their Twenties
38th out of 53 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana
Great handy book that I had the pleasure of obtaining for free through Netgalley. I love DIY books even though I am terrible at DIY, however my frugal sensibilities make me gravitate towards books like this. There is a huge variety in this book, which I appreciate and overall I really enjoyed this book. My only qualm is that this does not work ideally in a ebook format.(for example one DIY told you to scan a template from the book)
Monica!
This book is not messing around when it’s like, “Here’s your ultimate Guide to Life, y’all!”

Because seriously. Need to know how to throw a garden party? Or how to brew your own beer? Or get rid of stains, grow houseplants from cuttings, or make a leather headband? It’s in here.

So are tips for creating an emergency plan, resewing an oversized hoodie, getting rid of calluses, and developing a weight training program.

And making your own paper lanterns.

And organizing your kitchen.

And cooking seaf
Susan
My goodness, this is a weighty tome.

It's a fun, skimmable DIY guide with a fun, ballsy voice, which--if that's your thing--is great. And it is my thing, and it's great. But this is not a book I need to own. While I appreciated the breadth of information (hairstyling! cocktail parties! housecleaning!), but for my own reference, it covered too much at the expense of informational depth. I'm the sort to want separate books on housecleaning, hairstyles, and cocktail parties, but if you don't, this
Teresa
Up front: I read Bust as a teenage girl so there's always going to be a soft spot for the genuine-girl-power! writing style. Do you also enjoy bright and positive girls-can-do-anything writing? This book has got it.
The projects cover an impressive breadth of topics from personal to house to sewing to cooking to pretty much anything. They are styled interestingly and modernly in a series of well done photographs. There's lots of step-by-step photo essays and it was really lovely to be flicking th
Books She Reads
This book really is the DIY Guide to Life, this book goes beyond DIY for decorating and crafting. It’s pages are full of DIY living tips, like how to rid your house of cockroaches {eww!}. What to put in a necessary but probably never really thought of emergency survival kit {because rumor has it, Zombies are in our future people!}. Pesky stain removal tips for all types of different fabrics and stains, going green, gardening {even for those of us who do not have green thumbs} hand sewing and clo ...more
Lindsey Lewis
Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of Bust DIY Guide to Life from NetGalley in return for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed below are entirely my own. This review will also appear on NetGalley, Amazon, and my blog, Mediatron.

From an in-your-face reusable grocery bag that looks like a plastic "Thank You" bag coupled with a "receipt" coin purse to homemade candles, the kitschy crafts in Bust DIY Guide to Life are anything but ordinary.

You may need some skills (sewing, k
Heather
Love practically every chapter! There's even one on making your own sex toys, seriously....not that I'm doing that...but good to know....
Elizabeth
Perfect graduation, housewarming, or shower gift. BUST rules.
Sarah Lee
I recieved an ARC ebook version of this title from the publishers via NetGalley to read and review. This is 100% my honest review

Overall I liked the tone of the book, kind of young, fun and sassy. I downed it one star because this does appeal to me, it may not appeal to everyone. This book is not for the overly serious! It does have a nice selection of craft projects that would be good for those who do not have any craft experience. I felt for me and my experience level they are not quite for me
Melankalia
This book contains a wide variety of craft, home, and garden projects, as well as advice. Great for a beginner in any of those categories, although I did find it a tad vague on the how-to.

I have to admit being fairly disappointed in the craft section. I don’t know, I just expected the projects to be a little less complete beginner 90’s kitsch, and more…unusual? Unique? Sadly, there’s just not much here that is new and interesting for someone who is already in the scene.

I found the Making Basic
Sharon
The best part of this book was the foreword by Debbie Stoller (creator of Stitch n Bitch and co-creator of BUST magazine). She explained where the idea for a feminist magazine came from, how it was set up, and how she and the other co-creators built it from a tiny business, overcame several obstacles and made it into a successful print operation with offices and staff. As part of the magazine, they started to run a weekly DIY column that showed women it was okay to want to do the "housey girly s ...more
Nic

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The BUST DIY Guide to Life is a large collection of various articles from the magazine BUST. And by large I actually mean enormous. I reviewed an ebook copy of this book, and the sample excluded a good deal of content but still numbered in the several hundred pages.

This is the first book relating to DIY that has ever made me really thing about the ideology behind women of today choosing to participate in DIY, crafts, cooking and wh
Amanda Wilson
*received from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Let's face it, being a crafty person who is constantly seeking out some interesting new project means that I really enjoy DIY and craft books. Even if it a craft I am well versed in I still enjoy reading about it, because what if there is some new and exciting technique that I have never heard of? So it is no real surprise when Netgalley had The Bust DIY Guide To Life available for review that I wanted to give it a read. Brought to you by BUST ma
OutlawPoet
Do It Yourself Is…Cool?

Confession time: I was horrified when I started reading this book. It's got crafts and sewing. Things I admittedly stay away from. Sewing, for me, usually involves blood and Band-Aids. Crafts - okay, maybe not glue sniffing - but I did once actually super glue my fingers together. (True story!)

But as I read, I realized something. I want to make things. I want to hang my own shelves without almost breaking my thumb. I want to plant something that actually grows and doesn't
Jenn Ballmann
I was sent a copy of the book for review through Net Galley, as always, all opinions are my own.

When I first picked up this book I thought it would be dedicated to crafts, but it is so much more than a craft book. Sure there are instructions for making pot holders, aprons, and reusable bags, all of which are perfect for the DIY Christmas I’m planning this year, but there are also sections dedicated to a variety of situations that come up in life. One of my favorites was called spring cleaning fo
Trish
I am a Bust girl! Seriously, I remember years ago hearing about the mag and scouring my Barnes & Noble trying to find it. I own Debbie Stoller's Stitch and Bitch books. I DIY! So happy to have cool, fresh projects all in one fantastic book. In true Bust style, the projects are retro cool and simple to do, using easily found and/or repurposed materials. A book to treasure and gift to my girlfriends! Thanks Debbie!
Amy Adams
There are all kinds of tips for everything from cleaning your house and making your own clothes to saving money and working out. It's a clever little collection that's like a best of Pinterest. I'd recommend it to people interested in DIY, especially with a focus on alternative style and saving money. It would also make a good housewarming gift! Unfortunately, I didn't see much of anything I haven't seen before. I also thought the images were somewhat lacking. Some of the descriptions and projec ...more
Alexis
Apr 19, 2012 Alexis rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Some pretty interesting stuff in here. Regular readers may notice that some of these tips were actually in BUST and they might remember some of these recipes/ etc.

I just basically looked/skimmed through this book, and realized that I'm not reallY eager to do any of these craft projects any more. I did enjoy some of the recipes and liked the crafts, but I know I'm not going to do them. There were also some tips on things to do- like travel alone, starting a woman's investment club etc.

Some intere
Teri Ahlm
What ever happened to my subscription to BUST? I must have let it lapse - and I must renew ASAP! What a wonderful DIY guide that goes above and beyond the mundane daily tasks of life. This book would make a great gift for any young woman, along with a subscription to one of the best mags ever!
Paula
I really enjoyed this book. I appreciate the feminist philosophy behind the book (and support it as well). The authors do a wonderful job of explaining their approach to life and philosophy being BUST (as well as the history) and go from there to have a series of cool and simple craft patterns. These patterns are interspersed with living tips, everything from natural pest control (it works) to surviving a three day emergency.

Great book, just like Ms. Stoller's knitting and crocheting books (I ha
Nenia Campbell

♥ || Twitter || ♥ || Facebook || ♥ || Booklikes ♥ || Pinterest || ♥

I was really excited to get approved for this book because I consider myself a pretty crafty person. (For the sake of my miniscule budget, I probably shouldn't be allowed in craft stores.) I also consider myself a feminist. So you can imagine my delight in finding a book that combined the two. Unfortunately, I found this book a disappointment.

Look, I get what the point of the book is--it's saying, you can keep house and be a fem
Ryan
There was nothing wrong with this book. It had interesting ideas, great pictures, etc. I just feel it is like a paper version of Pinterest.
Samma
All of the fashion tips are obviously meant for women far smaller than myself ("is a men's small a circus tent"...ah, no, I'd look like a push-pop!). Some o the recipes are OK, but what is the point of teaching me to cook something if I can't see the end result? Interesting "craft" ideas, but nothing spectacular.
Ashley
I didn't get a chance to read through this cover-to-cover before it had to go back to the library, but what I did read/flip through looked pretty good. It falls in the same category as Three Black Skirts and Modern Girl's Guide to Life but has more craft-related sections and is slightly more up-to-date by virtue of being recently published. If I didn't already own those other two I would want to own this, but as it is I don't currently have shelf space for it.
Christy
I was hoping they'd include the rag rug tutorial from way back when, but this definitely collects some of the best how-tos from issues of Bust over the years. Some of the tutorials could go into more detail or include clearer pictures, but these were all magazine articles at one point, so I don't hold it against them for the most part. Definitely a good starting point for a chick with indie sensibilities who would like to develop her DIY skills.
Alexis
Nicely designed and full of fun crafts and sage advice (from cleaning, saving money, gardening, and more!).

I was disappointed with the food section where recipes were written in paragraphs and there were no photographs for each of the recipe. I glazed over that entire section.

I borrowed this book from the library and scanned all the pages that had crafts I wanted to try later. I recommend this to all instead of buying the book outright.
Allison
To be honest, a lot of the craft projects are kind of below my level (though I do see several I want to try), but it's a great overview of what "DIY" means -- not just crafting, but cooking, hair & makeup, money, exercise... it's a very practical overview of doing things for yourself because you can and because that's what grownups do, with the fun, sensible, and snarky Bust tone. Crafting + feminism = <3, y'all.
Tamara
Aug 19, 2012 Tamara marked it as to-read
Shelves: green, non-fiction
The second book I've flipped through that devotes exactly two pages to childbirth. Weird. (Here's the other one.)

Conversational tone, step-by-step guide for basic life skills. I don't think this would be enough instruction for me to actually accomplish the tasks listed, but it does give a girl some confidence to try.
False Millennium
This very much reminded me of those early 1970 hippie books on "How To". Get a jar, put in some soil, plant a seed. Very basic ideas and instructions and many (most) of the projects definitely convey "home made." It might be fun for a very young person just moving out on their own wanting to decorate on a budget, but overall, Pininterest would supply more sophisticated projects and results.
Simplyliv803
Lots of attitude, lots of kitsch, lots of projects. Too much maybe? This book is HUGE and covers everything from beauty ideas to life saving tips, but for as much as it covers, it's light on usefulness and depth. I don't sew and a lot of the crafty DIY projects involved sewing, other projects take way more than they were worth. It was fun to leaf through, but overall it was a disappointment.
  • The Repurposed Library
  • Subversive Cross Stitch: 33 Designs for Your Surly Side
  • Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts: 225 Projects and Year-Round Inspiration for Everybody's Favorite Celebrations
  • The Big-Ass Book of Crafts 2
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • The New Terrarium: Creating Beautiful Displays for Plants and Nature
  • Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds
  • Crafting a Meaningful Home: 27 DIY Projects to Tell Stories, Hold Memories, and Celebrate Family Heritage
  • Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • Furniture Makeovers: Simple Techniques for Transforming Furniture with Paint, Stains, Paper, Stencils, and More
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials